Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Is Versus the movie where a bunch of scenes open with a dude tumbling through the trees and another dude who says'i hate guys who hit women' and then clocks a chick?

yeah, that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man I've not seen Versus in so long, I need to watch that soon. :allears:

*edit: it's on amazon prime to rent. The image is shrunk in the centre of my screen, I'm assuming this is what amazon does with SD content?

*edit edit: an account called Ryuhei Kitamura (the director of the film) has uploaded the ultimate version to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/RANFolDDsy0

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 20, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Netflix released the French movie called Lost Bullet yesterday and if you like car stunts it's well worth your time. You will also find the "police station sequence" to be extremely memorable.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
OK, versus is worth your time. I haven’t been to the whole thing yet, but every time I get bored it switches genres.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's an incredibly silly movie but I was honestly kinda impressed that the fights scenes in it were as decent as they are, it has taken this long for Hollywood to catch up in quality to a super-low budget movie made by some dudes in a forest in Japan 2 decades ago :allears:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's an incredibly silly movie but I was honestly kinda impressed that the fights scenes in it were as decent as they are, it has taken this long for Hollywood to catch up in quality to a super-low budget movie made by some dudes in a forest in Japan 2 decades ago :allears:

It's also that hollywood, despite being full of really good stuntmen and performers, kept shooting itself in the foot. I remember seeing the b-roll of some lovely quick cut film years ago, and was amazed at how fluid the choregraphy was if you didn't cut every half a second.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Time to repost this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

37 minutes of Scott Adkins and Mark Zaror talking about their fight ridiculous fight in Undisputed 3

https://youtu.be/kYPWW6n5wtI

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The shoot was kinda bonkers. They decided to use real knife without rehearsing because the fake knives looked too fake and the lead actor was hired because the director met him during a street fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The shoot was kinda bonkers. They decided to use real knife without rehearsing because the fake knives looked too fake and the lead actor was hired because the director met him during a street fight.

he also broke his teeth trying to rack a pistol with them. Luckily one of the zombie extras was a dentist.

The making ofs on the old eastern eye (remember them?) dvds were great. One of them just spends the whole time making up stories about his childhood and loosely tying it to the film.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Continuing my quest to try and watch every 2020 action movie instead of seeking out actual good movies to watch:

Royal Warriors (1986) - 2.5/5, Amazon Prime
Breaks down in a similar way to predecessor Yes, Madam, where you get several extremely good and memorable action set pieces strung together by just the absolute worst plot. This one ends up slightly better than Yes Madam because the level of insane escalation throughout the whole movie is a sight to behold.

Michelle Yeoh is as invincible as ever and Hiroyuki Sanada is also very good. The stand-out aspect of the film is the integration of the environment with the action, with so much of each location getting smashed or blown up during the wonderfully choreographed fights.

The back half of the movie is dragged down by a slowed pace leading to a ridiculous finish, but the early sequences on the airplane and at the nightclub are ones that I'm going to be thinking about for a long time.

Lost Bullet (2020) - 3/5, Netflix
This was a good action movie, based mainly around car stunts. It was weird to me that for some thing with so many deaths and so much action, the acting felt rather low energy, but it didn't hurt the movie too much. Alban Lenoir was good in the lead role.

The most memorable part of the movie to me was the police station sequence, which was well shot and so full of chaos that it was very exciting. It's worth watching the movie for that scene and the cars. I'm not usually a car guy, but there was a lot of innovative action on that front that kept me interested.

I Am Vengeance (2018) - 1/5, Netflix
I Am Vengeance is a thoroughly unwatchable movie. The editing is atrocious, the script is bad, Bad News Barrett is playing a no-charisma stone, and everything looks extremely cheap.

To be honest it reminds me of how British pro wrestling is by and large a pale imitation of what makes wrestling in other countries good. This is that, for action movies.

Gary Daniels was good in the final fight. But don't waste one minute of your time on this.

Legacy (2020) - 1/5
A lot of nothing in this one. Very little action along with too little plot for you to care about any of the characters. The movie doesn't even explain the story until almost an hour in, so it's just a collection of confusing scenes up to that point.

The one bright spot is Alain Mora, who is in the movie for like five minutes playing an insane character with twenty times more charisma than anything else going on in the movie.

Other than that, it's a movie about people climbing around rocks.

Survive the Night (2020) - 1/5
Bruce Willis is Chad Michael Murray's dad and through the first half it seems like 2020 Bruce Willis is going to get through this one entirely in a sitting position, but he ends up having a few nice action moments. That's just about the only thing the movie ends up having going for it.

The premise is so contrived beyond belief, even as far as out there movie plots go. None of the characters act realistic at all, and even at 88 minutes the movie drags a lot. Can't knock the lack of action too much because it's supposed to be more of a thriller than an action movie, but it doesn't accomplish any genre goal, it's entirely dull.

I Am Vengeance: Retaliation (2020) - 3/5
Considering that the original I Am Vengeance was nearly unwatchable, I did not know what to expect going into this one. But I Am Vengeance: Retaliation is a very good movie that's well worth your 82 minutes.

I believe the key to this improvement is an increased budget and especially the addition of Tim Man (Triple Threat, Boyka Undisputed, Ninja) as the Fight Choreographer. The hand-to-hand fights in this movie are tremendous and there are a ton of them packed into the runtime. Both Phoebe Robinson-Galvin and Katrina Durden are excellent and I would really like to see more of them in action movies in the future.

Extra points to the movie for letting Bad News Barrett perform Wrestling Stunts during his fight sequences. Vinnie Jones was good and the supporting cast of mercenary thugs were as well.

The weakest points of the film were the script and the gunplay. It seems like they held back on the gun budget to put it into other parts of the film and it made it stand out as lackluster.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 30, 2020

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also that hollywood, despite being full of really good stuntmen and performers, kept shooting itself in the foot. I remember seeing the b-roll of some lovely quick cut film years ago, and was amazed at how fluid the choregraphy was if you didn't cut every half a second.

I agree. And, for me, one of the worst offenders is the GI Joe sequel. If you watch some of the production footage, they had some pretty decent set pieces and choreography, but it was all cut to poo poo in the edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYOyY2vVno

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Narzack posted:

I agree. And, for me, one of the worst offenders is the GI Joe sequel. If you watch some of the production footage, they had some pretty decent set pieces and choreography, but it was all cut to poo poo in the edit.

Love how in the video thumbnail, it looks like he has a rotating police light mounted right in front of his scope.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Just rewatched Born To Fight, and goddamn that movie is so much fun. It's like if suicidal Thai stuntmen got together to make a super violent version of Gymkata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzL-r5DHGw

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it's pretty great. I remember when it first hit stateside there was talk of Dan Chupong being the next big thing, but I don't know if he ever really exploded even as much as Tony Jaa did. It's a cool movie, though. I liked seeing them turn all their own disciplines into murder sports, it was an angle that I hadn't seen before. Plus, it's, like, insanely violent once that first gunshot happens. I have the original, too, but it's just kinda clunky and I don't think I've ever finished it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Payndz posted:

Love how in the video thumbnail, it looks like he has a rotating police light mounted right in front of his scope.

Dwayne Johnson joins
        Police Squad!
            In Color

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Action Movie Fan Streaming Update: July 2020

Amazon Prime: The Running Man, Ronin, Bulletproof Monk, Death Wish
Pluto: Outrage
Hoopla: Paycheck, Righteous Kill
Netflix: Total Recall, Ip Man 4 (7/20)
Hulu: Die Hard 4, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Boco_T posted:

Netflix UK offered me the Colin Farrell Total Recall like some kind of sick joke :(

Next to it in the list is Last Action Hero which feels like it deserves a rewatch though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I fancied watching Total Recall on UK Netflix, searched and got that dross. There aren't enough Arnie movies on the service and the horror selection also sucks rear end :/

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jojoinnit posted:

Netflix UK offered me the Colin Farrell Total Recall like some kind of sick joke :(

Next to it in the list is Last Action Hero which feels like it deserves a rewatch though.
It's been funny seeing some of the stuff that happens in Last Action Hero's plainly ridiculous and satirical Action Movie World later appear in movies that aren't meant to be overtly taking the piss. The minigun that pops out of someone's car sunroof in LHA was played straight in Fast Five, for instance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

It's been funny seeing some of the stuff that happens in Last Action Hero's plainly ridiculous and satirical Action Movie World later appear in movies that aren't meant to be overtly taking the piss. The minigun that pops out of someone's car sunroof in LHA was played straight in Fast Five, for instance.

The same thing happened to Commando. I'd always concluded it was a satire, but the timeline doesn't line up. Turns out they did it as a comedy and everyone else played it straight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

gently caress. Even that big setpiece in the warehouse/base got trashed. As it is in the film, that's a montage, not a scene. But it had clear geography and everything at some point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The same thing happened to Commando. I'd always concluded it was a satire, but the timeline doesn't line up. Turns out they did it as a comedy and everyone else played it straight.

Commando was unironically ahead of its time.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

Goddamn Bullet Man was a disappointment. The monster is very cool when it's on screen (so for about 10 seconds) but the lead actor was terrible and Shinya Tsukamoto trying to recreate his balls-out turn from the first movie as a beer-gutted 40something was just depressing.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I just watched Braven. Standard fare but some of the deaths are pretty cool.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh, god, yeah. Tetsuo: The Bullet Man is such a let down. :(

It's not quite that Every Frame a Painting video but this is very good, particularly for considering Jackie Chan as a combat arena in himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjG6fe-eTQ

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

pandemic scott adkins has been pretty good content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVmTcI8ZlOg

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Guns Akimbo is one of the most obnoxious movies I’ve ever seen, and I’m not sure that’s entirely a criticism

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's on Prime, is it worth watching?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

It's on Prime, is it worth watching?

Not really, not as an action movie anyway. It's more of a comedy with a few decent action scenes. But not a particularly good one.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Not really, not as an action movie anyway. It's more of a comedy with a few decent action scenes. But not a particularly good one.

Yeah it's basically a poor man's Neveldine/Taylor movie, if you've seen the Cranks it doesn't have much to offer at all. The title is the best part :v:

That said, Radcliffe is engaging as always, as is Rhys Darby. Also I found the OTT bad guy (who I was convinced was Barry Otto until the credits rolled) and the physical comedy with the guns bolted to Radcliffe's hands amusing

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 5, 2020

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What are everyone’s favorite revenge flicks ala The pUnisher or death wish.

I watched Kite yesterday. Solid violence

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

My faves are 70s exploitation things like Lady Snowblood and Ms 45 and Thriller - A Cruel Picture.

The ultimate revenge stories for me are Bugs Bunny cartoons, where his revenge is so far beyond what the original insult was.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Pillowpants posted:

I really like Punisher: War Zone and it's a crime it failed and we don't get movies like that from Marvel now.

Heads up that both MI4: Ghost Protocol and MI6: Fallout are up on Netflix (UK). Dunno what happened to Rogue Nation but they're still 2 of the best in the series.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pillowpants posted:

Clearly about revenge:
Avengement
Revenger

Kinda revenge:
universal soldier day of reckoning
Hardcore Henry
witch part 1 subversion
Re:born

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I agree, Warzone is great.

Straight revenge:
Warzone
Sin City
I Saw the Devil
Oldboy
Blue Ruin
Gladiator

Revenge-ish
Logan
Taken
The Fugitive
Road Warrior
Fury Road

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like the ones where a random badass gets drawn into a situation they aren't connected to but then by the end it's basically a revenge story. Like The Man From Nowhere, Jack Reacher, The Accountant, or Leon: The Professional.

Yojimbo/Fistfull of Dollars obviously being the originators.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
There are just so many good ones, that I keep thinking of more revenge-type movies that rule. I do remember,though, bouncing off Payback when I was a teenager. I wanted to like it, but I made it about halfway through before I got bored and turned it off. Is it worth giving another shot?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Narzack posted:

There are just so many good ones, that I keep thinking of more revenge-type movies that rule. I do remember,though, bouncing off Payback when I was a teenager. I wanted to like it, but I made it about halfway through before I got bored and turned it off. Is it worth giving another shot?

Definitely give Darwyn Cooke’s comics adaptation of the original Parker novel The Hunter a shot. It’s goddamned beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah and the much more faithful version of the story is the Payback Director’s Cut