Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bessantj posted:

I'm trying to go through the Marvel Unlimited chronologically and I've just read Giant-Size X-Men #1. It was pretty good but Prof X comes across as a bit of a poo poo (Not for the first time I know). He insults a whole native American people and takes Storm away from a place where she seemed really needed. But I do have a question, in the Marvel universe what country is most different to its real life counterpart (fictional countries excluded obviously)?

America in Age of Apocalypse

EDIT: Oh, you said most different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Does Canada despise ice hokey and maple syrup in the Marvel Universe?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

Does Canada despise ice hokey and maple syrup in the Marvel Universe?

Marvel Canada has a whole bunch of covert government weapons programs, including doing creepy poo poo to humans. Does normal Canada have that kind of thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

Marvel Canada has a whole bunch of covert government weapons programs, including doing creepy poo poo to humans. Does normal Canada have that kind of thing?

Yeah, it sounds like he's just hitting the start of Uncanny, Canada reveals itself to be a terrifying cryptocracy as bits and pieces of Wolverine's backstory are revealed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Yes but they only do it to natives.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

A bunch of them? They probably don't IRL unless they're doing the covert part very well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Yes but they only do it to natives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

I'm trying to go through the Marvel Unlimited chronologically and I've just read Giant-Size X-Men #1. It was pretty good but Prof X comes across as a bit of a poo poo (Not for the first time I know). He insults a whole native American people and takes Storm away from a place where she seemed really needed. But I do have a question, in the Marvel universe what country is most different to its real life counterpart (fictional countries excluded obviously)?

I mean the obvious answer is the U.S., if only because the real NYC doesn't regularly have supervillains robbing banks, or psychopaths just bombing poo poo because why not, or vigilantes that the police just let get away with poo poo, or prison breaks every other Friday.

Non-U.S. answer though, I'm pretty sure the U.K. does not have a lighthouse that serves as a convergence point of realities, or an intelligence division dedicated to guarding against supernatural threats, and I don't think the collective subconscious of British people form an alternate dimension full of high fantasy creatures and Arthurian legends. At least I don't think it does... :tinfoil:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Real life Wakanda is nothing like the 616 version

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Latveria is exactly the same, though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Real life mutant sex island is a huge disappointment.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

How Wonderful! posted:

Real life mutant sex island is a huge disappointment.

I don’t think we can call Florida an island until it’s wholly severed from the mainland, though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Google "Canadian Indian residential school system" if your day is too sunny and joyful.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I mean the obvious answer is the U.S., if only because the real NYC doesn't regularly have supervillains robbing banks, or psychopaths just bombing poo poo because why not, or vigilantes that the police just let get away with poo poo, or prison breaks every other Friday.

Non-U.S. answer though, I'm pretty sure the U.K. does not have a lighthouse that serves as a convergence point of realities, or an intelligence division dedicated to guarding against supernatural threats, and I don't think the collective subconscious of British people form an alternate dimension full of high fantasy creatures and Arthurian legends. At least I don't think it does... :tinfoil:

Well yes, I suppose they're all different in that sense though

quote:

the collective subconscious of British people form an alternate dimension full of high fantasy creatures and Arthurian legends

Is the most "American thinking about what to do with Britain" I have ever heard of, even if an American didn't think of it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Just checking in (as I will every time you update on where you’re at in the order) to ask if there are any series or runs that you’ve liked in the run up to giant size.

I’m still like ~180 books away. I’d like to burn through them by the end of July, making it I think 4 years from when I started.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Just checking in (as I will every time you update on where you’re at in the order) to ask if there are any series or runs that you’ve liked in the run up to giant size.

I’m still like ~180 books away. I’d like to burn through them by the end of July, making it I think 4 years from when I started.

I must admit that I've not really taken notice of things like writers and artists in the past but doing this has made me take more notice. Recently I've read a lot of stuff by Gerry Conway though Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and Thor that I've enjoyed especially as they are now allowing more issues for a story. Len Wein has been doing good stuff with Herb Trimpe on Hulk. I do like fantastical stuff as well so I've enjoyed Man-Thing (Steve Gerber and Alfredo Alcala doing some good work there), Captain Marvel and really got into Warlock, the story with him and Thanos was very entertaining.

Stuff like Avengers, Defenders, Daredevil, Iron Man, Captain America I've found can be a bit spotty, there is some good stuff and some of it that drags. Though I've found the first Clone Saga in Amazing Spider-Man to be pretty interesting considering what the other Clone Saga would become.

What about yourself?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In terms of recent stuff, I loved the Avengers Kang story in the lead up to Giant Size Avengers #2. Also really enjoyed the Sons of the Tiger vs Silent Ones story in the second half of the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine. Before that I loved the Brunner Dr. Strange, the Panther’s Rage story, and Starlin’s Captain Marvel. Secret Empire was fun too.

Other than that, I’m mostly just waiting to get through this period of marvel. The horror books were worse than I expected, and while there are parts of the main series that I like (Gerber, Englehart are mostly good minus some quirks), there is a lot I dislike or am just bored of. I think I’m in a particularly fallow 50 issue period filled with Doug Moench and that’s making me a bit negative.

Conan remains my favorite part of the order.

Oh and I am coming to love Herb Trimpe’s art in the Hulk.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Google "Canadian Indian residential school system" if your day is too sunny and joyful.

There's a significant difference between the residential schools, and the Dr. Mengel poo poo Marvel Canada got up to with mutants. But the main difference is that Marvel presents Canada has have functional cutting edge R&D programs that don't get shut down by a penny pinching government.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

In terms of recent stuff, I loved the Avengers Kang story in the lead up to Giant Size Avengers #2. Also really enjoyed the Sons of the Tiger vs Silent Ones story in the second half of the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine. Before that I loved the Brunner Dr. Strange, the Panther’s Rage story, and Starlin’s Captain Marvel. Secret Empire was fun too.

Other than that, I’m mostly just waiting to get through this period of marvel. The horror books were worse than I expected, and while there are parts of the main series that I like (Gerber, Englehart are mostly good minus some quirks), there is a lot I dislike or am just bored of. I think I’m in a particularly fallow 50 issue period filled with Doug Moench and that’s making me a bit negative.

Conan remains my favorite part of the order.

Oh and I am coming to love Herb Trimpe’s art in the Hulk.

I think I've skipped over most of the horror stuff it was always so hit and miss for me and mostly miss that I didn't see the point, I've changed to going through the core list rather than trying to get everything. Also it looks like they don't have vol 1 of Inhumans on MU.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've just read a few Amazing Spider-Man issues from #144-#150 and is there a clone of Gwen Stacey just knocking about out there?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

I've just read a few Amazing Spider-Man issues from #144-#150 and is there a clone of Gwen Stacey just knocking about out there?

Not sure about the issue numbers, but yes. Yes, there is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Not sure about the issue numbers, but yes. Yes, there is.

Genuine :aaa:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

I think I've skipped over most of the horror stuff it was always so hit and miss for me and mostly miss that I didn't see the point, I've changed to going through the core list rather than trying to get everything. Also it looks like they don't have vol 1 of Inhumans on MU.

Honestly I probably should have done that.

I am looking forward to reading more Spidey Super Stories though. Also Invaders, that seems like it’ll be good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly I probably should have done that.

I am looking forward to reading more Spidey Super Stories though. Also Invaders, that seems like it’ll be good.

I might go back for the Spidey Super Stories once I'm caught up enough. A lot of the panels end up in the funny panel thread.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah there are a lot of really fun continuity easter eggs (I was delighted by the Henry Hellrung mention in the latest issue) but it's also a super accessible tour of the Marvel universe if you're coming in fresh. Like Skwirl said, all you need to know is that she's a master thief who has a complicated romantic past with Spider-Man, and it might not hurt to know that she's had a variety of bad-luck related powers over the years. Maybe it would help to be aware that the Black Fox is another thief Spider-Man has come into conflict with whose gimmick is just being debonair and old, but that's about it. If you have a general awareness of people like Wolverine, Iron Man, etc.. (Wolverine's a tough piece of poo poo with claws! Iron Man is a rich pervert with flying armor!) you may be able to skim a few captions too.

I think there's a lot of fun stuff to make it feel really textured and cunning for people saturated with Marvel trivia, but it's also extremely good, imo about "playing fair"-- assuming that you're coming to it with a bare minimum of knowledge and introducing each important piece of information as it arises. It really is one of the best comics Marvel is publishing right now and as much as I love it as a deep dive, I think it also has a ton to offer a newer fan.

Which run is this, Jed Mackay's run starting in 2019? I always liked Black Cat back in my Spidey-reading days but didn't get to see much of her.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ToxicFrog posted:

Which run is this, Jed Mackay's run starting in 2019?

It is!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

There were five of them at one point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doesn't Canada also have a curse in the MU where if you consume human flesh within its boundaries you become a wendigo, or something? Like even if it's something totally inadvertent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Doesn't Canada also have a curse in the MU where if you consume human flesh within its boundaries you become a wendigo, or something? Like even if it's something totally inadvertent.

I think it's if you eat at Tim Hortons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

I think it's if you eat at Tim Hortons.

In that case the wendigo outnumber the non-wendigo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There were five of them at one point.

And some are still running round? Because it seems like a strange loose end to have in Spider-Man but I don't think she's unique to that is she.

Nessus posted:

I think it's the same as the legend from the Algonquian tribes, but i cold be wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

And some are still running round? Because it seems like a strange loose end to have in Spider-Man but I don't think she's unique to that is she.

I think it's the same as the legend from the Algonquian tribes, but i cold be wrong.

Nah it's a dumb Deadpool thing. He let Arnim Zola live and Zola gave him four clones of Gwen Stacy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Nah it's a dumb Deadpool thing. He let Arnim Zola live and Zola gave him four clones of Gwen Stacy.

Jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was in a Wizard 1/2 from 1998 or so. I only remember it because I had a customer hounding that issue for a few years and when we finally acquired a copy for him he had to show us all the "money shot."

Ick.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It was in a Wizard 1/2 from 1998 or so. I only remember it because I had a customer hounding that issue for a few years and when we finally acquired a copy for him he had to show us all the "money shot."

Ick.

Ugh, sounds terrible.

Still strange to think that there was a clone of Stacy out there that no one mentioned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She walked off at the end of the Clone Saga and i don't think she was in the Clone Conspiracy, that was a new clone of Gwen if I remember correctly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Ick.

Speaking of gross stuff involving Gwen Stacy, remember when they revealed that she had kids?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Speaking of gross stuff involving Gwen Stacy, remember when they revealed that she had kids?

Oh, I've seen that posted before. Norman Osborne was the father wasn't he? And the twins hated Spider-Man. Where are the editors?!?!?!?!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If Matter Eater Lad got hit with the Bizarro clone ray, would the resulting Bizarro eat anti-matter or just vomit up a constant stream of random garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

Ugh, sounds terrible.

Still strange to think that there was a clone of Stacy out there that no one mentioned.
They get mentioned periodically, the original Gwen Stacy clone (and the Spider-Clone that would be later called Ben Reilly) were retconned into being existing human being who got like radical surgery to look exactly like Peter and Gwen during the Evolutionary War crossover. I forget all the details but basically they wanted to close the door on 'clones' in the Marvel Universe in the same way that 1980s Marvel tried to get rid of vampires and superfluous supervillains and characters with the same names. So the High Evolutionary found all of the Jackal's notes after he died and revealed he was a big fraud who couldn't clone poo poo.

The "clone Gwen Stacy" was a woman named Joyce Delaney who via magic got her original memories and personality back. Then later during the Clone Saga they re-retconned it so the Jackal had faked his death and faked his notes admitting he couldn't clone poo poo to trick the High Evolutionary, and actually he can clone the hell out of whatever he wants! And he actually had like hundreds of clones of Gwen Stacy (and Peter Parker, obviously). He wanted to go find his best clone of Gwen (Joyce) and it turned out she was married to a clone of the Jackal and living a normal life, so Jackal got mad and killed all of his non-Joyce clones of Gwen (unless... some survived?) and I think killed the clone of himself who married Joyce/Gwen but then other stuff happened.

And then in 2011 an even more eviller clone of Gwen murdered Joyce-Gwen for the Jackal, but then she died too. I think this was just a subplot to set up THE CLONE CONSPIRACY: DEAD NO MORE and clean up continuity so that Slott could introduce even more Gwen clones, who might have all died again, hard to say. There might be some of the original clones that were supposed to die but didn't (like Kaine but with Gwen Stacy) out there.

The Deadpool #0 issue was basically a gag short where everyone who was dead came back from the dead as clones and it was mostly like loser villains Scourge killed because everyone else comes back from the dead on their own. The "money shot" Rhyno referenced is Deadpool walking in on Uncle Ben and Aunt May having sex, because Aunt May (or an actor hired by Norman Osborn to pretend to be Aunt May and die of cancer) was dead at the time too.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 3, 2020