Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So loving hyped for the continued polarization into liberals who are liberal and authoritarian nationalists that want wealth distribution.

205CE - Hadrian's Wall is restored.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

forkboy84 posted:

Aberdeen FC's stadium, Pittodrie, is Gaelic for a dung heap.

Which is false advertising given that dung has value.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1278680754864689152

Randy Andy must be getting a bit sweaty

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how long do we give it before she commits suicide?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The queen's stabbing arm must be getting very tired.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Couldn't really find what seemed like an apropos thread for this, but on the off-chance there are any UK goons who are familiar with uni administration/student activism in here, I'm looking for some advice. I'm not sure how specific I should be so as not to immediately make it clear where and what I'm talking about - hell I don't even know if it matters, but whatever.

I'm currently finishing off an MA in a foreign language. The course shares some content in its first year with a bunch of BA students on the undergraduate course and then diverges, and because of that I have a bunch of friends in said BA course.

Their four year course has the entire third year spent abroad to learn the language in situ. It's not an exaggeration to say that this course structure is the biggest draw by far for the course, as this uni has excellent links to all the top unis in that country, and learning a language in the country can't really be compared to a few hours in classrooms here in the UK.

With COVID, some but not all of their placement universities have halted that process temporarily. They were all due to go over in September. As it stands, the UK uni has come down and cancelled their entire year abroad. They are offering no alternatives - despite some of these placement unis offering 6 month courses from a Spring Entry next year and some still open to continue from September.

The Uni's solution, rather than folding their entry with the next year's cohort, or basically any other potential solution, is that their course will be cut to three years long, with extra 'intensive' language learning credits next year based in the UK. For reference, other language courses at the same Uni based in the same region, seem to have managed perfectly fine to allow them to do their year abroad as a joint cohort with the year below.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the Uni is just writing their entire year off and trying to shuffle them out of the way. I'm looking at a WhatsApp chat of confused 19-20 year olds being sent an email presenting this as a fait accompli with no alternative. Their Zoom chat with the course convenor seems to have resulted in a politely phrased "Sorry, you're SOL, see you in class!".

I know in the grand scheme of things, this seems like a tiny drop in a sea of bullshit out there, but it really feels like there ought to be some method of recourse against this. I expect that the administration staff will just string them along with "maybes" and "potentially" until August at which point it will be too late to arrange anything and they can just throw up their hands.

I want to say that something like the threat of a mass co-ordinated year-long leave of absence to basically join the year below's cohort might achieve something, but I don't know if that's just totally moronic. I can't even tell from the Uni's own page on leaves of absence whether taking that leave before term starts will cost money or not. Not to mention many of the undergrads are from abroad and not exactly in a position to take a year off, plus, the whole 'an entire year of your life spent kicking a can'.

Basically, I don't know (and they don't know) what extra-uni or intra-uni bodies they can appeal to, what threats they can realistically make and so on. And they are on a clock to find out. Appreciate any experiences/advice UK goons might have. I can probably offer more specifics via PM if it's needed.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
On Starkey I did a thread on him on twitter but rather than self-aggrandise it here

On top of the above-quoted 2011 comments defending Enoch Powell and littered with racism

Then in 2015 he claimed that black people have a propensity to violence
That minorities play the victim
And got in some attacks on disabled people as well
Ohh and the term 'racist' is meaningless

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11528077/David-Starkey-why-Ed-Miliband-is-poison-and-David-Cameron-muddle-headed.html

Then, because rent-a-gob like behaviour is his favoured media persona in 2014 he claimed that consent is meaningless in rape cases, and violence should be the only decider for prosecution

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/07/david-starkey-rape_n_4743433.html

And then went on to claim that 13 year olds could 'groom' adults and a whole other host of victim blaming.

Literal victim blaming in this case
"she set him up, she excited him,"

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/16/david-starkey-question-time-grooming_n_6484480.html

Not to mention older examples of racism

""If you are to do a proper history of Europe before the last five minutes, it is a history of white males because they were the power players, and to pretend anything else is to falsify."

Let's just ignore Moorish Spain, and Subutai

And then his wide dismissal and attack on other historians, wait, no, just women.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-starkey-swipes-at-pretty-girl-history-q2f3lvsd0zw

And his English exceptionalism calling Wales and Scotland 'feeble countries'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8016440.stm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cool 3D model of the current novel coronavirus plus other info.

PST posted:

And then went on to claim that 13 year olds could 'groom' adults and a whole other host of victim blaming.
So in his world are 'grooming gangs' groups of teen girls that go around tempting innocent business owners or do only white guys get that defence?

I wish we'd stop the whole "invite on racists to have racist opinions so there's a variety of viewpoints" and just not platform them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Thanks for the list - I've known he's been a racist poo poo for a long time but didn't know half of this other poo poo :catstare:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jeza posted:

Couldn't really find what seemed like an apropos thread for this, but on the off-chance there are any UK goons who are familiar with uni administration/student activism in here, I'm looking for some advice. I'm not sure how specific I should be so as not to immediately make it clear where and what I'm talking about - hell I don't even know if it matters, but whatever.

I'm currently finishing off an MA in a foreign language. The course shares some content in its first year with a bunch of BA students on the undergraduate course and then diverges, and because of that I have a bunch of friends in said BA course.

Their four year course has the entire third year spent abroad to learn the language in situ. It's not an exaggeration to say that this course structure is the biggest draw by far for the course, as this uni has excellent links to all the top unis in that country, and learning a language in the country can't really be compared to a few hours in classrooms here in the UK.

With COVID, some but not all of their placement universities have halted that process temporarily. They were all due to go over in September. As it stands, the UK uni has come down and cancelled their entire year abroad. They are offering no alternatives - despite some of these placement unis offering 6 month courses from a Spring Entry next year and some still open to continue from September.

The Uni's solution, rather than folding their entry with the next year's cohort, or basically any other potential solution, is that their course will be cut to three years long, with extra 'intensive' language learning credits next year based in the UK. For reference, other language courses at the same Uni based in the same region, seem to have managed perfectly fine to allow them to do their year abroad as a joint cohort with the year below.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the Uni is just writing their entire year off and trying to shuffle them out of the way. I'm looking at a WhatsApp chat of confused 19-20 year olds being sent an email presenting this as a fait accompli with no alternative. Their Zoom chat with the course convenor seems to have resulted in a politely phrased "Sorry, you're SOL, see you in class!".

I know in the grand scheme of things, this seems like a tiny drop in a sea of bullshit out there, but it really feels like there ought to be some method of recourse against this. I expect that the administration staff will just string them along with "maybes" and "potentially" until August at which point it will be too late to arrange anything and they can just throw up their hands.

I want to say that something like the threat of a mass co-ordinated year-long leave of absence to basically join the year below's cohort might achieve something, but I don't know if that's just totally moronic. I can't even tell from the Uni's own page on leaves of absence whether taking that leave before term starts will cost money or not. Not to mention many of the undergrads are from abroad and not exactly in a position to take a year off, plus, the whole 'an entire year of your life spent kicking a can'.

Basically, I don't know (and they don't know) what extra-uni or intra-uni bodies they can appeal to, what threats they can realistically make and so on. And they are on a clock to find out. Appreciate any experiences/advice UK goons might have. I can probably offer more specifics via PM if it's needed.

I honestly can't picture what the heck the reaction to something like this would have been in any of the departments I worked in, ufortunately, but depending on the size of the course, a threat of concentrated, collective action would be very meaningful.

Do they still pay fees during the year abroad?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

PST posted:

Starkey is such a repulsive individual, everything about him is just vile.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jezza in 2011:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/102140901354258432?s=20

Right again, naturally.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Crazy that this guy turned out to be a giant racist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He looks like a second hand car salesman who once did time for attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth.

haakman
May 5, 2011

RIP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

his meltdown here before the election was something to behold

CSPAM posters trying to get him to post there last year so the mods could probate him was exactly the content I crave

Guavanaut posted:

He looks like a second hand car salesman who once did time for attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth.

I was going to say he looks like Enoch Powell's campaign manager.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

thespaceinvader posted:

I honestly can't picture what the heck the reaction to something like this would have been in any of the departments I worked in, ufortunately, but depending on the size of the course, a threat of concentrated, collective action would be very meaningful.

Do they still pay fees during the year abroad?

I'm fairly sure they pay a much reduced fee that year. I think it operates as an exchange with the unis in that country, but I don't really know the ins and outs of it.

haakman
May 5, 2011
True story Starkers was the guest of honour at my graduation. loving dogshit lickspittle historian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"MPs are demanding an apology over remarks made by the outspoken historian Dr David Starkey."
"He famously enjoys his reputation as the 'rudest man in Britain'."

This neatly illustrates the problem with calling racist cunts 'rude' and 'outspoken', because they enjoy it and can always conjure up more racism. It's a limitless resource.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Crazy that this guy turned out to be a giant racist

I can hear vincent price's voice sneering racial epithets in my hear.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So that was odd. Was out buying preliminary fudge supplies at my local Budgens, and just had some nutter try and get into a fight with me. Was screaming at the security guard and pushing him as I walked out, then tried to start on a passing dominos driver, and then got a couple of inches from my face screaming at me (mask down, natch) because I was holding my phone?

Gave the guy a shove in the sternum that threw him a good couple of meters back and bounced him off the wall (I look fat as gently caress, but that’s down to a lot of muscle mass with basically no definition) and he seemed to reconsider his life choices in that department, but now I’m panicking that the fucker has given me something. Washed my hands four times since getting home and am alternating between mystification at what his problem was, feeling shaken and anxious as gently caress and (I’m ashamed to admit) somewhat smug that I was able to shut him down so hard.

Weird loving times.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the rival fudge baron is on to you

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

kecske posted:

They’re certainly in my targeted advertising.. the bastards.

Begun, the fudge wars have.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

I don't get what you're on about, nothing about what you said was dickish in the slightest. And LLC are US things no? Essentially matey, just apply for UC and see what they say.

^^For Bobby Deluxe
I think I got the wrong end of the stick from your reply about using a limited company and trying to help, probably my fault misinterpreting it. I thought you had read my post as an attack on you for using that structure.

Most of my time getting my head round self-assessment has been spent feeling like it's structured to be a weird form of welfare for the rich, or people who've been brought up in a business family to understand it. I don't, so without being able to structure a specific argument I'm left with the feeling that there's something very suspicious about it all.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Guavanaut posted:

Cool 3D model of the current novel coronavirus plus other info.

So in his world are 'grooming gangs' groups of teen girls that go around tempting innocent business owners or do only white guys get that defence?

I wish we'd stop the whole "invite on racists to have racist opinions so there's a variety of viewpoints" and just not platform them.

I forgot that one, guess what...

quote:

He called on schools to teach English history to ethnic minorities so that "they are ... first and foremost English citizens and English men."

and

quote:

the historian said the gang's actions were evidence of "what happens when [a country like Britain] has no sense of common identity". "Nobody ever explained [to these men] that the history of women in Britain was once rather similar to that in Pakistan and it had changed,"

Obviously his history of unrepetent misogyny and racism are just because he's a white englishman and that makes him better :barf:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Camrath posted:

So that was odd. Was out buying preliminary fudge supplies at my local Budgens, and just had some nutter try and get into a fight with me. Was screaming at the security guard and pushing him as I walked out, then tried to start on a passing dominos driver, and then got a couple of inches from my face screaming at me (mask down, natch) because I was holding my phone?

Gave the guy a shove in the sternum that threw him a good couple of meters back and bounced him off the wall (I look fat as gently caress, but that’s down to a lot of muscle mass with basically no definition) and he seemed to reconsider his life choices in that department, but now I’m panicking that the fucker has given me something. Washed my hands four times since getting home and am alternating between mystification at what his problem was, feeling shaken and anxious as gently caress and (I’m ashamed to admit) somewhat smug that I was able to shut him down so hard.

Weird loving times.

I'm genuinely interested in how these kind troubled people live day to day when they're not causing scenes in public. Like everything from actual terrifying hard lad at my school who burned the place down and used to beat kids half to death and got sent to juvie in the end, and the arguing couple I was walking behind in the street who weren't just fighting they were actually screaming and spitting at each other the whole time I could hear them with people staring, and this guy you mention. It's quite hard to imagine any of them sitting with a cup of tea and a sandwich just chilling out. What is normal for them??

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 2, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jeza posted:

I'm fairly sure they pay a much reduced fee that year. I think it operates as an exchange with the unis in that country, but I don't really know the ins and outs of it.

That's probably the first thing to find out - what the available levers are will be impirtant in figuring out what the appropriate action is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PST posted:

I forgot that one, guess what...

and

Obviously his history of unrepetent misogyny and racism are just because he's a white englishman and that makes him better :barf:
:hotpickle:

What does he think schools teach BAME students presently?

Also how can he go from one moment saying "England is so good because it doesn't have this national identity like the feeble Scots and Welsh, and we are better off without a national day, or dress, or style of music" to "rape gangs happen when a country has no sense of common identity"?

Just fractally poo poo.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

:hotpickle:

What does he think schools teach BAME students presently?

He doesn't have a clue. He hasn't even been properly in academia for 20 years, let alone any idea on schools, but still spent the last 20 years being invited onto assorted school-based seminars and programmes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/the_crox/status/1278689948275703808?s=21

lol, make sure to check politiwhoops for when he starts deleting all the Hamilton tweets from his timeline.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jeza posted:

Perhaps I can help. My year abroad with the year below cost the same in tuition as the UK years - a whole grand!

It's up to the university how they alter the course and deal with the pandemic but nothing to stop the students taking a year out and arranging their own year abroad then returning to the UK for their final year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Language students chat:

Will brexit affect the ability for students to do exchanges next year at all?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I don't think so. Students might need a student visa like you would for China or what have you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Language students chat:

Will brexit affect the ability for students to do exchanges next year at all?

I'd assume there'll be additional bureaucracy but I don't see why it would assuming universities keep on top of the paperwork. There are already established programmes incorporating time abroad in non-EU countries. An ex spent a good year in Russia, for example.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It'll increase the cost both to the institutions and the students, and that will be lovely.

And perhaps more concerningly, it will probably reduce the number of people willing to do exchanges, since there's nothing to sell Britain as the place to learn English for EU members any more...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rip Maxwell, accidentally suffocated to death trying to prove she could fit herself in a suitcase that also contained her collection of knives.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

kecske posted:

Just imagining the rival fudge mafia or Fudge Bureau Investigation trying to scope out Camrath's illicit fudge distillary

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 2, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1278714901100363776?s=19

All the celebration of Labour membership numbers that turned out to be numbers under Corbyn and this makes me think that people are leaving the party at faster pace than they realised.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just imagining the rival fudge mafia or Fudge Bureau Investigation trying to scope out Camrath's illicit fudge distillary

I can neither confirm nor deny that is an accurate representation of my operation.

I can confirm that next month’s goon special will be ‘XXX Danger Fudge’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1278714901100363776?s=19

All the celebration of Labour membership numbers that turned out to be numbers under Corbyn and this makes me think that people are leaving the party at faster pace than they realised.

Wow imagine being such a quitter that you won't pay money and lend support to a racist institution