Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pentaro posted:

Yes! This was it! I dunno what kusogrande is but judging by the name this game should be right at home.

It's a tournament where victimscontestants see how far they can get in random crappy games in 1 hour. Musashi no Ken is definitely on the less terrible side of the selection of titles they had over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pentaro posted:

Two famicom games:

One is a side-scroller, you control this samurai dude. The one thing I remember most about this game is that you race a dog in every stage. Well, it's more that the time counter is a dog running on the bottom of the screen.
The other one is a puzzle game. It was kind of like Sokoban, you control a Kirby-like blob and have to push blue stones into shining brick pedestals, there are also rocks you can use to crush baddies or whatever. The game was kind of mindfucky: your character could move in all four directions making you believe it has a top-down perspective, but then you push a stone off a ledge and it falls down as if it were a 2-D side-scroller.

The second one is probably Flappy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4dJuCI_RSc

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Yes! Thanks so much!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Woah Flappy is trippy as hell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I figured it out in a roundabout way - I remembered that Jeremy Parish had covered a game like you described in Game Boy Works, so I went through his videos until I found Flappy Special, then looked up if it got a Famicom port and sure enough

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah that is an extremely "Game Boy One-Room Puzzle" game

Which are honestly some of my favorites

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Artelier posted:

Smaller, less detailed, everyone is unique Final Fight style makes me think of Little Fighter 2, but that's not arcade nor do you control many characters at once. Drawing a blank, sorry!
Oh hey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMxwSd0EyCk

That looks vaguely right. If a similar game was ever in an arcade, then that's what I'm looking for.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I got two, both from the computer section of the daycare I spent time in ~5 y/o

The first was a math based edutainment game, where you had to avoid sea creatures and solve a math problem using a combination lock

The second, was a puzzle-y top down game, where you moved around trying to get through doors of a particular color. There were weird worm things that would chase you and eat you, and if they caught you, you would turn the same color. So, occasionally you had to get eaten, and avoid the wrong color worms. I just remember being super traumatized by it and found it frightening.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

The first was a math based edutainment game, where you had to avoid sea creatures and solve a math problem using a combination lock

Operation Neptune

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Andorra posted:

Operation Neptune

that's it, and holy poo poo, by looking up the Learning Company publisher, I found my other game.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/think-quick-26e

that was tickling my brain for years, so thank you!
edit: i feel better about being scared of it, because it is actually very creepy!

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 15, 2020

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This one is a long shot probably as it’s really obscure. It’s a Commodore 64 game controlled entirely by a biofeedback headband I played as a kid at a friend’s house. There were multiple mini-games in it, but the one in particular that stands out to me was where you controlled a red balloon.

The balloon game had you trying to grab pickups in the air that gave you points, but also there were tacks or knives or something that would kill you. You “controlled” the balloon by relaxing—the more relaxed you were the lower the balloon would go, and the pickups towards the bottom of the screen were worth more. Then if you had to avoid a tack you’d clench your jaw to become less relaxed and the balloon would shoot up in the air.

I think it also had a color coded kaleidoscope game too and something else I forget. It was a really odd game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Genpei Turtle posted:

This one is a long shot probably as it’s really obscure. It’s a Commodore 64 game controlled entirely by a biofeedback headband I played as a kid at a friend’s house. There were multiple mini-games in it, but the one in particular that stands out to me was where you controlled a red balloon.

The balloon game had you trying to grab pickups in the air that gave you points, but also there were tacks or knives or something that would kill you. You “controlled” the balloon by relaxing—the more relaxed you were the lower the balloon would go, and the pickups towards the bottom of the screen were worth more. Then if you had to avoid a tack you’d clench your jaw to become less relaxed and the balloon would shoot up in the air.

I think it also had a color coded kaleidoscope game too and something else I forget. It was a really odd game.

Appropriately enough it was called “Relax”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1EDKXwOx-M

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That... weirdly reminded me of a game I vaguely remember. It was a DOS game in like 1994/1996 where you controlled an orb like a balloon, and you had to move around the level refilling your balloon on air vents and avoiding sharp objects. The game itself was alright but it also included this massive screed by the developer about how aliens hacked his mind and used him to create the game and that the balloon was actually the aliens' true form and this game was made so humans would be familiar with them or something like that. I've always wondered what the gently caress

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Danaru posted:

That... weirdly reminded me of a game I vaguely remember. It was a DOS game in like 1994/1996 where you controlled an orb like a balloon, and you had to move around the level refilling your balloon on air vents and avoiding sharp objects. The game itself was alright but it also included this massive screed by the developer about how aliens hacked his mind and used him to create the game and that the balloon was actually the aliens' true form and this game was made so humans would be familiar with them or something like that. I've always wondered what the gently caress

Found it, it’s called Helious and that’s weird as gently caress lol https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Helious

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I remember playing that. It was a pretty fun game, honestly. A bit psychedelic, but not bad by any means. It reminded me a lot of games like Oxyd Magnum. I had no idea that the guy who made it was crazy, but just from playing it, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Found it, it’s called Helious and that’s weird as gently caress lol https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Helious

:vince: Holy poo poo that's it, I was honestly half convinced I dreamt it. I was off on some parts of the story but I was surprisingly close considering it's been almost 30 years

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The guy who does freeman's mind on youtube showcased Helious several years back, if anyone's interested in what the gameplay looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4hJf2RCEk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A bit of google-fu reveals here's what Sean Puckett is up to now:

https://twitter.com/photopuck

Seems like all is well.

He's actually got a recent game out on itch.io!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2020

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

hello, i'm trying to remember the name of this abstract game that featured lots of gloved hands? iirc, it came out like 5 or 6 years ago and had a sequel about 2ish years ago? it was an indie PC game, and I want to say it had VGA-style graphics?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
A real shot in the dark here: Hylics?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Baller Time posted:

A real shot in the dark here: Hylics?

yes! thank you!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

An old computer game, from the 90s, that had a "map" of the human body and you were either the body's immune system or the viruses and bacteria trying to make their way in. I remember almost nothing of the gameplay but I remember it was really hard. I thought it was maybe related to the Sim games (SimAnt, SimCity, SimEarth, etc) but I can't find anything on google about it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

a fatguy baldspot posted:

An old computer game, from the 90s, that had a "map" of the human body and you were either the body's immune system or the viruses and bacteria trying to make their way in.

You're not thinking of Catch the Sperm 2, but that's what I'm thinking of now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

An old computer game, from the 90s, that had a "map" of the human body and you were either the body's immune system or the viruses and bacteria trying to make their way in. I remember almost nothing of the gameplay but I remember it was really hard. I thought it was maybe related to the Sim games (SimAnt, SimCity, SimEarth, etc) but I can't find anything on google about it.

Are you thinking about Microcosm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBYS_ahDG0

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

No, it wasn’t first person at all, was entirely like a strategy game. Might’ve come on a disc with a bunch of educational games?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4543-germicide oh drat, pretty sure this is it. I wonder if I can get it working on my laptop, wish it had more screenshots

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cardiovorax posted:

No, the one I remember was definitely a 2D side-scroller, but I don't remember if it was for PC. In one mode, you would play as a helicopter basically the way you describe it. In the other, you would instead play as this armored car or tank thing that also attacked upwards in a 3-spread so you were able to attack flying enemies. I have this really clear mental image of it, but I don't think I ever learned the name of the game.

Yeah, this is almost certainly Silkworm.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4543-germicide oh drat, pretty sure this is it. I wonder if I can get it working on my laptop, wish it had more screenshots

That is in fact what you are talking about. Germicide is a weirdass strategy game that I never could figure out. It had a bunch of other games that were basically the same game just with different setting. Including WWII and the Civil War, with small little events that may have had little to no impact on you, or may have given buffs/debuffs. The world may never know.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

E-Tank posted:

That is in fact what you are talking about. Germicide is a weirdass strategy game that I never could figure out. It had a bunch of other games that were basically the same game just with different setting. Including WWII and the Civil War, with small little events that may have had little to no impact on you, or may have given buffs/debuffs. The world may never know.

Wasn't there also a punic war version where you played as hannibal? I think both came on a demo disc for my old mac - I remember the punic war game much better, you started as Hannibal in Spain and had to get to Rome. I think you could choose between walking - in which case the demo ended as you crossed the alps - or you could go by boat, which had some problems that I don't remember in order to encourage you to go the historical route, but if you could pull it off you could land right next to Rome and the demo ended there. I'll try to get the Germicide one working on my computer, but I'm bad at this sort of thing.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Wasn't there also a punic war version where you played as hannibal? I think both came on a demo disc for my old mac - I remember the punic war game much better, you started as Hannibal in Spain and had to get to Rome. I think you could choose between walking - in which case the demo ended as you crossed the alps - or you could go by boat, which had some problems that I don't remember in order to encourage you to go the historical route, but if you could pull it off you could land right next to Rome and the demo ended there. I'll try to get the Germicide one working on my computer, but I'm bad at this sort of thing.

Only demos I recall was the WWII one, the Civil War, and a british middle ages style strategy, which I remember mostly because one of the issues was due to a famine, and the solution was literally to ask for help, and it was heralded as a novel concept that succeeded.

There were some interesting questions asked of you. But I never could figure out how much they affected anything.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

E-Tank posted:

Only demos I recall was the WWII one, the Civil War, and a british middle ages style strategy, which I remember mostly because one of the issues was due to a famine, and the solution was literally to ask for help, and it was heralded as a novel concept that succeeded.

There were some interesting questions asked of you. But I never could figure out how much they affected anything.

Yeah, I remember some events involving the elephants. Many elephants died on the sea voyage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Here's one that I have been wondering about for a while: this game was an open-world RTS back in the 90s - multiple maps, but you could pass between them freely, much like playing the multiplayer mode of Spellforce 2. It was in a space setting and there were four races. The graphics were sprite based. You could collect five different types of resources, one generic and one for each race. Your base unit was a 'Mothership' which looked like a silvery dome which could open to release little resource-collecting drones. One race was called the Optitrons or something like that and they liked building units in hexagonal shapes.

It was a pretty great game that I have never seen anyone talk about anywhere else, ever. I have no idea why, it was incredibly unique and really fun.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Conquest:frontier wars has the first part of that-each system was a map, games would take place across multiple systems and the jump gates linking them would serve as choke points from one map to the next. It only had three species though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/578670/Conquest_Frontier_Wars/

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Here's one that I have been wondering about for a while: this game was an open-world RTS back in the 90s - multiple maps, but you could pass between them freely, much like playing the multiplayer mode of Spellforce 2. It was in a space setting and there were four races. The graphics were sprite based. You could collect five different types of resources, one generic and one for each race. Your base unit was a 'Mothership' which looked like a silvery dome which could open to release little resource-collecting drones. One race was called the Optitrons or something like that and they liked building units in hexagonal shapes.

It was a pretty great game that I have never seen anyone talk about anywhere else, ever. I have no idea why, it was incredibly unique and really fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Command:_Revolution ?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, sorry, it was definitely older than that. As I mentioned, the game was sprite-based. I'm fairly certain I played it around '96-ish or so.

e: oh, I only saw your post now! Yes, that is exactly what it is! Star Command, that's the one. Triumverites were the geometric shape guys, I think. Thank you so much.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 2, 2020

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
after all these years.... i finally got one before somebody else....

now.... i can die....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was some sort of space strategy game on PC from the 90s that my dad used to play, I'd really like to find out what it was but unfortunately I don't remember much about it.
What I do remember is:
It was all in tiny 2d sprite graphics, kind of like Dune maybe.
It had ground battles that played out in real time, but I'm not sure if you actually controlled the units or if it was just a visualization of the battle. I think it was the latter.
It had a race of "space hippos" of some kind. I think they might have preferred planets with a lot of water.

That's all I remember. Really not expecting anyone to know what I'm talking about.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Could be Deadlock: Planetary Conquest or it's sequel

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Real time or turnbased? With that description it fits even Master of Orion 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baller Time posted:

Could be Deadlock: Planetary Conquest or it's sequel

Oh yeah, I think that's the game.