Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Jamfrost posted:

I need a charged roll button. That's my only request. And more screams.

If you decide to play Katamari again, check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

We all know the Allies did warcrines too but breathlessly running in to both sides the literal Nazis makes you a loving putz.

good thing nobody's doing that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I picked up Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun on a whim last weekend and holy drat I'm having so much fun with it. Has anyone here played Desperados 3 yet? How does it compare?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A Sometimes Food posted:

We all know the Allies did warcrines too but breathlessly running in to both sides the literal Nazis makes you a loving putz.
Jeeeeeeeeesus.

First round of discussion - a pile on of "I'm not comfortable playing a game about Russian resistance fighters, they were just as bad as the Nazis".

Second round of discussion - someone brings up the Americans. Cue "how dare you both sides this!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

I picked up Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun on a whim last weekend and holy drat I'm having so much fun with it. Has anyone here played Desperados 3 yet? How does it compare?
It was made by the same people who made Shadow Tactics and I've heard nothing but good things about it so far. I'm planning to pick it up sometime later this week myself.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was looking at what else the devs did and that's how I found it :)

I just wasn't sure how much "more of the same" it is, or if the Cowboy themes made it significantly different.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xander77 posted:

Jeeeeeeeeesus.

First round of discussion - a pile on of "I'm not comfortable playing a game about Russian resistance fighters, they were just as bad as the Nazis".

Second round of discussion - someone brings up the Americans. Cue "how dare you both sides this!"

To be fair, the Soviets did do a few genocides before, during and after the war, so I can understand discomfort in that respect. Similarly, the Americans (the Western Allies in general) did some bad poo poo to a lot of different people in a lot of different places, and especially if you're from an area or demographic directly affected, of course you're probably going to be a bit more iffy. Maybe it's best to shelve the whole warcrimes topic since it's probably not going to go anywhere?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Jeeeeeeeeesus.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean as long as it's not nazi propaganda I'm not sure I see why it's a problem at this point. Like it's not ideal but I'm struggling to care.

I had the same opinion when they were talking about the Russians. :colbert:

My stance is very much "as long as it shits on the nazis and doesn't actively deny Allied war crimes, it's not really worth getting worked up about" when it comes to WW2 games.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 2, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay it's definitely "Slay the Spire but for a younger demographic" but oh my god it's so cuuuuuuuuuute

Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech is half rpg, half card battler and it's pretty simplified but everything is gorgeous and the writing is charming and it's perfect for a morning where I'm still a bit sick but not enough to keep me from playing something fun.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do you call the crew of your ship starcommunists?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Krazyface posted:

The human eye cannot perceive anything beyond 480p, this has been proven scientifically

cool bird is over 480p so this is heresy

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sab669 posted:

it's more of shadow tactics, except better in every way. characters are more balanced, scenarios more varied, attention to detail even better. Extremely Good.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

dex_sda posted:

it's more of shadow tactics, except better in every way. characters are more balanced, scenarios more varied, attention to detail even better. Extremely Good.

One thing to keep in mind is the characters are kind of a mix of the shadow tactics crew with some new abilities. The first character is similar to the ninja except now he has two guns, the character similar to the samurai now has the trap and whistle ability as some examples.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Sab669 posted:

Glad you like it. Shadow Tactics is one of my favorite games of the last 7 years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m playing rear end Creed 2. Uncle Mario just went, “Itsa me!! Mario!!”

:3:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've been putting some time into the 2-button rhythm game Muse Dash and if you like or at least don't mind your relatively casual rhythm games with a heavy anime layer (specifically Chinese flavor in this case), I've found it a great way to zone out and forget about the world for a bit.

It's only 10% off but the base game is dirt cheap and has quite a lot of content for the price, and while the more expensive DLC adds roughly infinity songs and access to everything they release you can definitely get your 3€'s worth even if you never go for it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

You can tell they had a lot of fun with the writing of AC2. Good game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cartoon Man posted:

That really shouldn't have been as funny as it was.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The Ezio trilogy is fantastic, and all this talk about AC is making me want to give Odyssey a try because I keep hearing fantastic things about it, but I recently tried to get back into Syndicate (was free on Epic) and just bounced off after a couple hours. :<

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Ezio was awesome, brotherhood was my fav game, but the funniest moment of that ebtire series for me was when Main Story ezio had a whole friggin soliloqy about how killing wasn't the solution to every problem, followed by Side Quest ezio walking up to a random crying woman and immediately offering to kill whoever was bothering her.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Ezio trilogy is fantastic, and all this talk about AC is making me want to give Odyssey a try because I keep hearing fantastic things about it, but I recently tried to get back into Syndicate (was free on Epic) and just bounced off after a couple hours. :<

Everyone is going to tell you to try it anyway, the gameplay is so different they might as well be in different series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ask yourself how much you liked the gameplay of Witcher 3 and if that would be enough for you to want to play it again, but with a Greek Assassin's Creed flavour to it. That should tell you what to think about the idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Ask yourself how much you liked the gameplay of Witcher 3 and if that would be enough for you to want to play it again, but with a Greek Assassin's Creed flavour to it. That should tell you what to think about the idea.

What? :psyduck: I didn’t get any resemblance to the Witcher 3 beyond stuff like “quests” and “an open world”.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What? :psyduck: I didn’t get any resemblance to the Witcher 3 beyond stuff like “quests” and “an open world”.
It's a comparison I see people make a lot and I figured it was close enough. You run and ride around in an open world and solve quests for people while doing freeform combat that is not really a lot like anything in the classic AC series. It's not literally the same thing, but it's fairly comparable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

As previously mentioned, I picked up Blades of the Shogun, as well as AC Odyssey and Grim Dawn off the Steam Sale and I gotta say I have been the least tempted to play Odyssey out of the 3.

I'm just so tired of Open World games :shrug: At least I can just get on my horse and press a button to have it automatically take me to my destination.

Game doesn't seem bad, but I've played so much Far Cry, The Witcher, Fallout etc. the last few years that I'm just starting to find the core concept of "Waste your time running around this giant loving map" to be extremely tedious. I also failed to get into Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild too for similar reasons (but also I just don't actually enjoy gaming on consoles I think).

I'm just starting to feel like if you've played one moderately well polished open world Action / Adventure game you've pretty much played them all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As someone who played both AssCreed Origins, Odyssey and Witcher 3 this year, they're absolutely in the same genre. I even wrote up a comparison post earlier about Origins vs Witcher 3, and concluded that AssCreed has the better horses.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zetsubou-san posted:

cool bird is over 480p so this is heresy

you can only perceive a fraction of the cool bird coolness with inferior human eyes

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I fuckin love Open World games. I like the idea of exploring and stumbling on things at my own pace, even if that usually ends up with me ignoring 90% of the actual main game. I just like pokin around

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Open world games are cool, but I do also have a bit of fatigue for them at the moment. There have been just so many good ones recently... well, a lot of good ones and even more bad ones.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
DAMMIT KRAGGER! :argh:

I should have learned not to talk about not being sure whether to buy a game or not in this thread lest someone gifts it to me.

Thanks a lot, mate. :D

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I fuckin love Open World games. I like the idea of exploring and stumbling on things at my own pace, even if that usually ends up with me ignoring 90% of the actual main game. I just like pokin around

Buy Kenshi.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Subnautica and Rain World are my favorite explorey games, I didn't really get the same sense of exploration from like Witcher 3 or nuAssassin's Creed or Far Cries. Yeah, I should try out Outer Wilds, I guess.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That game's been on my radar for a while now but my gosh darn backlog just won't let up. There's so many good games and movies and TV shows I need to watch, there's not enough time in the day :ohdear:

edit: This post inspired me to purge my stupid Wishlist and start over. I guess I'll start by putting Kenshi on there.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 2, 2020

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

DAMMIT KRAGGER! :argh:

I should have learned not to talk about not being sure whether to buy a game or not in this thread lest someone gifts it to me.

Thanks a lot, mate. :D

I'm hoping you get a chance to try it out. I love the game, so wanted to be sure you get a try. If you don't like it, that's fine - let the thread know either way if/when you get a chance to play it.
I didn't get you the season pass, as the game is yuuuuuuuge, so you'll have tons of content already. If you like it, grab the DLC in the winter sale (or put it on your wishlist :shepspends:)

On another note in general to the thread, I've been enjoying Space Robinson (40% off). If any of you like harder roguelikes, it might be worth a try. I'm finding it a bit challenging, but I'm pretty bad at games, and this one is listed as "hardcore". It doesn't really add a whole lot to the genre, but it's fun. Sort of reminds me of Deathstate gameplay-wise, except you manually control the shooting like traditional roguelikes.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953870/Space_Robinson_Hardcore_Roguelike_Action/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Third person non-counter based action combat, loot, and iirc the devs explicitly stated Witcher 3 was an inspiration when they changed the systems when Origins came out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That game's been on my radar for a while now but my gosh darn backlog just won't let up. There's so many good games and movies and TV shows I need to watch, there's not enough time in the day :ohdear:
Kenshi is a game that will eat hundreds of hours of your life if it clicks with you. It's one of my most-played games of all time, it's that good and unique. There's nothing else on the market that is quite like it. I thoroughly recommend it in every sense.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kragger99 posted:

I'm hoping you get a chance to try it out. I love the game, so wanted to be sure you get a try. If you don't like it, that's fine - let the thread know either way if/when you get a chance to play it.
I didn't get you the season pass, as the game is yuuuuuuuge, so you'll have tons of content already. If you like it, grab the DLC in the winter sale (or put it on your wishlist :shepspends:)

Oh, I'm installing it as I type this (actually I'm trying to clear up some space on my HD, good lord games have gotten big lately). I'll try to get a trip report in before the sale is over. Thanks a lot again; can't promise I'll make an LP of it like I did with Inside though. :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What are all the add-ons to CoH2 like Victory at Stalingrad, Southern Fronts, et al? There's a ton. Would I need them if I were to play the game competitively, since it adds factions and poo poo? It's on sale atm for a ton off

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone who sends me a friend request in the next ten minutes will get a copy of The Dweller, which is a spectacular one-sitting puzzle game where you crush grave-robbing Europeans with boulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This video makes me want to try Defcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6neDk_4XBs

edit: This post inspired me to purge my stupid Wishlist and start over. I guess I'll start by putting Kenshi on there.

Good. The game seems right up your alley.