Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first episode is decent and the second episode is pretty good

The third episode is some guy talking about how magic is real and that killed my interest fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's 2020 bro. Magic is real.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's 2020 bro. Magic is real.

LOL this nerd thinks something is real and that reality isn’t just the nightmare fever dream of a mad god moments away from death.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Had a bit more time to mull over the Midnight Gospel...

The last episode is really great, and really highlights the potential this series can have.

The thing I really enjoyed is the intentional contrast between the characters on screen, their appearance , their voices, and the subject matter.
I really hope I see this idea used better , either in season 2, or some other shows. Hearing Death, the grim reaper, talking about the history of the embalming process has this identifiable quality to it. It reminds me of the famous "Royal with Cheese" conversation at the start of Pulp Fiction.
Things that didn't like :
-"You have to watch it stoned" Load of wank. If you need to be high to enjoy something, it says something about the quality of the show more than anything. You can watch paint dry on acid and it'd be an enlightening experience.

-Sometimes the extreme contrast between the animation on screen and the words being said is unintentionally funny, in a bad way. Examples include a green cyborg-fish-pirate-captain referring to himself as "un-cultured white trailer trash" , a little guardian angel bird talking about all the drug riddled orgies they've been in, people referring to the main character as "Duncan" (which they lazily lampshade).

-Sometimes the animation delves too hard into crazy-random monkey-cheese bullshit, and it undercuts the subject of the conversation. A warrior lady spends 20 minutes on a quest to avenge her dead partner, talking about forgiveness, dealing with loneliness...... will end with a fight against a demon butt-monster , and all the dialogue is just repetitive monkey-cheese-style "1000 years rick and morty rick and morty dot com 100 seasons rick and morty for ever and ever rick and morty"

-Again ,re-iterating from my last post , the main character is a massive oval office, with the worst implication being that all the philosophical ,metaphysical stuff that he's being told by these characters he's interviewing slides off him like water off a duck. Which again, goes to the previous point of the animation not lining up with the spoken word. The main character doesn't really seem to be taking anything seriously. People are talking to him about their times of great pain, dealing with death etc, and his catch-all response seems to be this half-dismissive "cool beans". He never really learns anything from any of these interviews, or disagrees with anything these characters are saying to him.

6/10. Interesting idea, mediocre implementation.

Have more "seinfeld conversations" with wacky characters, but find a way to make those conversations "mean something". Either have dedicated podcasts where you ask specific questions that would produce answers relevant to the show, or make animation that lines up better. Make the "podcast interview" sounds like worldbuilding for these fantastical animated planets, etc.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Thanks thread for letting me know about Tigtone! I watched it three times by now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tigtone is fantastic

It's bizarre to me that my fondest memories of the show are of the annoying sidekick character

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Thanks thread for letting me know about Tigtone! I watched it three times by now.

Hopefully you watched the pilot, too. Can't wait for season 2.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ninjewtsu posted:

Tigtone is fantastic

It's bizarre to me that my fondest memories of the show are of the annoying sidekick character
My favourite aspect of Tigtone is that even though he'll thoughtlessly use Helpie as a tool, there's a genuine friendship and camaraderie between them. It gives the show a nice emotional backbone against relentless farce

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

muscles like this! posted:

Hopefully you watched the pilot, too. Can't wait for season 2.
Yeah I watched all 12 Episodes. And :same:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone sat down and watched Central Park? I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised with the experience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

Yeah I watched all 12 Episodes. And :same:

Okay but have you watched all the episodes of Tigtone's Journal?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Warbird posted:

Has anyone sat down and watched Central Park? I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised with the experience.

I didn't know it was a musical

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

muscles like this! posted:

Okay but have you watched all the episodes of Tigtone's Journal?
If there are also 12, yes. And I also watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiX__bBaegg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You win this round RabbitWizard.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

I've been trying to get into it because I like the visual style so much, but the podcast stuff is just so grating. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be insightful or profound, or whether it's not and that's the joke, but whatever it is, it's dull. It's just not interesting hearing several variations of uninteresting and unrelatable philosophy.

It feels like a missed opportunity because there are a couple of tidbits in there, like the bird guy who had apparently spent several years in real life prison or the woman relating the story of how she struck up a...friend? Support? group? Both of those actually sounded interesting and something that'd be cool to listen to. But it just immediately hard sidesteps into "...and that's why god is real"

Seriously the third episode the guy legitimately believes in magic and it's just played straight for 20 mintues

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I couldn't make it past the first episode when the podcast guy starting telling a very lame story about he almost overdosed

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

To everyone who said "Final Space season 1 isn't great, but season 2 is much better!": gently caress You.

It's webcomic writing given a budget. A monkey cheese and bathos slurry. Nearly every episode in S2 introduced a new something that had never come up before but apparently had always been the most important thing in the galaxy, 30 minutes later it would be resolved and forgotten, and in between was a whole lot of serious muttering and crying. Just awful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you watched the whole thing, that's on you

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

abigserve posted:

I've been trying to get into it because I like the visual style so much, but the podcast stuff is just so grating. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be insightful or profound, or whether it's not and that's the joke, but whatever it is, it's dull. It's just not interesting hearing several variations of uninteresting and unrelatable philosophy.

It feels like a missed opportunity because there are a couple of tidbits in there, like the bird guy who had apparently spent several years in real life prison or the woman relating the story of how she struck up a...friend? Support? group? Both of those actually sounded interesting and something that'd be cool to listen to. But it just immediately hard sidesteps into "...and that's why god is real"

Seriously the third episode the guy legitimately believes in magic and it's just played straight for 20 mintues
I ended up finishing The Midnight Gospel after stopping after the third episode.
It was worth it to see it through, I'd say.

First off, it's an absolutely gorgeous show where almost every frame is an amazing piece of artwork (and some of the background/character designs are incredible and you see them for like 1 second before they're off the screen).

Secondly, by the mid-point, I was over my initial "what the gently caress are these crazy people talking about" impressions and just let the whole thing wash over me. There are little nuggets of useful philosophy in there (yes, surrounded by a bunch of hippie new-age magical bullshit, but still) that can help a person with anxiety or existential dilemmas. You don't have to be a Buddhist to take the advice they lay out in one episode of letting yourself be "hopeless" and being okay with that when all your delusional "hopes" are doing is ruining your life.

Thirdly, also by the mid-point, they split the difference a bit more on podcast audio vs. original content. One episode (#6) is almost entirely original plot.

I think it's a pretty great experiment and while I still have NO interest in listening to Duncan Trussell's actual podcast, what they made here has a lot of value.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mike Henry will no longer voice Cleveland and the same is happening on The Simpsons

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

I ended up finishing The Midnight Gospel after stopping after the third episode.
It was worth it to see it through, I'd say.

First off, it's an absolutely gorgeous show where almost every frame is an amazing piece of artwork (and some of the background/character designs are incredible and you see them for like 1 second before they're off the screen).

Secondly, by the mid-point, I was over my initial "what the gently caress are these crazy people talking about" impressions and just let the whole thing wash over me. There are little nuggets of useful philosophy in there (yes, surrounded by a bunch of hippie new-age magical bullshit, but still) that can help a person with anxiety or existential dilemmas. You don't have to be a Buddhist to take the advice they lay out in one episode of letting yourself be "hopeless" and being okay with that when all your delusional "hopes" are doing is ruining your life.

Thirdly, also by the mid-point, they split the difference a bit more on podcast audio vs. original content. One episode (#6) is almost entirely original plot.

I think it's a pretty great experiment and while I still have NO interest in listening to Duncan Trussell's actual podcast, what they made here has a lot of value.

I'm still working through the series but I've seen breakdowns of it's philosophy and I kind of get what it's going for now. Basically as the show progresses Clancy, a person obsessed with the spiritual at the expense of the material, slowly let's his life, relationships and pet multiverse fall apart thorough neglect. Eventually his mom (who is dying of cancer) sets him straight and he learns that true enlightenment is not just drowning in hippie bullshit to avoid the pain of living but also engaging with the messy parts of the world and dealing with it on it's own terms. Which is a much more insightful observation than I thought the show was capable of considering how much it indulges in pop-spirituality bullshit.

I still wish it was a real show though.

Side note: The interview with the guy who claimed he could do magic drove me up the wall. My dude, adding fifty pages of rules to your made up magic system does not make it any more real. I feel bad saying that because he seems like a nice guy who has had it rough but god drat do I hate pseudointelectual nonsense like this.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

readingatwork posted:

I'm still working through the series but I've seen breakdowns of it's philosophy and I kind of get what it's going for now. Basically as the show progresses Clancy, a person obsessed with the spiritual at the expense of the material, slowly let's his life, relationships and pet multiverse fall apart thorough neglect. Eventually his mom (who is dying of cancer) sets him straight and he learns that true enlightenment is not just drowning in hippie bullshit to avoid the pain of living but also engaging with the messy parts of the world and dealing with it on it's own terms. Which is a much more insightful observation than I thought the show was capable of considering how much it indulges in pop-spirituality bullshit.

I still wish it was a real show though.

Side note: The interview with the guy who claimed he could do magic drove me up the wall. My dude, adding fifty pages of rules to your made up magic system does not make it any more real. I feel bad saying that because he seems like a nice guy who has had it rough but god drat do I hate pseudointelectual nonsense like this.
Once the show pointed out that Clancy is a bit of a selfish moron who doesn't even learn from each episode's "enlightenment," I was able to see that he really wasn't supposed to be the audience insert. After that, I could enjoy taking a couple of interesting insights from their discussions while jettisoning the magical thinking exterior.

I think I just needed to be open to accepting that these people are still trying to achieve what we all are (a path to the truth about our existence and making peace with that), it's just that these particular people go a bit overboard with the new-age hippie stuff.

I also thought that some of the episodes (especially the final one) had the same message and imagery as End of Evangelion, which I love.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Come And See posted:

To everyone who said "Final Space season 1 isn't great, but season 2 is much better!": gently caress You.

It's amazing how much less obnoxious they made the main character in the second season while still managing to keep him absolutely terrible.

I am so loving sick and tired of "creepy weirdo loser stalks his true love who is so far out his league but who eventually ends up with him out of pity and Stockholm Syndrome" plots.

I only made it through the series due to serious free time issues and my entire state being covered in choking smoke so that I had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

And I still regret watching it.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's amazing how much less obnoxious they made the main character in the second season while still managing to keep him absolutely terrible.

I am so loving sick and tired of "creepy weirdo loser stalks his true love who is so far out his league but who eventually ends up with him out of pity and Stockholm Syndrome" plots.

I only made it through the series due to serious free time issues and my entire state being covered in choking smoke so that I had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go.

And I still regret watching it.

I think if they had begun with that alternate Gary from Season 2 it might’ve worked out better? As it stand I did enjoy it once the yelling and general creepiness was replaced with just him being more goofy but yeah, I think that 1st season is kinda a big thing that’ll taint the rest of the series regardless of how much it improves or not, it’s always gonna be the starting point and ehhhhh

I think the only way they could fix that is if they DIDNT get together at the end, but considering the buildup and all that, it’s slim to nil of that happening

cartoons123 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2020

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein are working on a Mission Hill spinoff focused on Gus and Walley

Mission Hill is hands down my favorite of all the canceled before their time one season animated shows. It sucks it came out on a mostly DOA network, and was too expensive for Adult Swim to give a second chance like Home Movies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gus and Wally are the #1 reason if they were to reboot it, I'd say just pick up where you left off at. Late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia gonna happen eventually. May as well be on the forefront. I dunno if they'd make it another 20 years considering they were what, in their 70s already?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I feel like I asked this, maybe in GBS, but how many times have they tried to get more Mission Hill off the ground?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Beavis and Butthead returns (again)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/arts/television/beavis-and-butt-head-comedy-central.html

The 2011 revival was surprisingly good but I'm not getting my hopes up until we see something from it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does Mike Judge get residuals for Daria stuff?

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I kind of feel like all these spinoffs/reboots are just bored creators/executives sitting at home on lock down and coming up with any sort of nostalgia-based idea they can, since new ideas are hard.

For (non-animated) evidence of this, I present failed kids movie from the 80's, D.A.R.Y.L., is being made into a comedy series.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

When the hell is Clone High season
2, Phil?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh. Huh.

https://collider.com/clone-high-reboot-details-phil-lord-chris-miller-mtv/

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Warbird posted:

When the hell is Clone High season
2, Phil?

It is about time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

torgo posted:

I kind of feel like all these spinoffs/reboots are just bored creators/executives sitting at home on lock down and coming up with any sort of nostalgia-based idea they can, since new ideas are hard.

For (non-animated) evidence of this, I present failed kids movie from the 80's, D.A.R.Y.L., is being made into a comedy series.

That may be true, but I am still hyped as Hell for more Clone High.

And the theme song still slaps: https://youtu.be/R8lmbxbiP94

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gus and Wally are the #1 reason if they were to reboot it, I'd say just pick up where you left off at. Late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia gonna happen eventually. May as well be on the forefront. I dunno if they'd make it another 20 years considering they were what, in their 70s already?

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1277770903577714688?s=20

Takes place in a frozen year 2000. Someone even asked Bill if that means that 9/11 will happen and he responded with "it will never get to 2001"

He also said he hopes for another Cake theme song.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Crossing swords is weird.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
There's a new AS cartoon called Tender Touches which is literally just three people ad-libbing a episode over a Zoom call with no retakes allowed. I'm sure the gimmick will get old fast but I'm not going to lie, I found the first episode pretty funny.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

close enough is up on HBOmax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also first episode is up free on Youtube from HBOmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkKNKtMjJ2o