Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

schmug posted:

is contact tracing happening at that level yet?

Contact tracing of foodborne pathogens is what every health department does 365 days a year in a normal year. Figuring out which romaine gave people e coli this time is their bread and butter and the same procedures and relationships are involved in tracing an outbreak of covid to a grocery store. I'm pretty confident in this result, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

schmug posted:

we are all gonna die

Excuse me are you a doctor? Hmmm? Where’s your proof

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
*peels a potato in a hyperbaric chamber*

meanwhile in covid task force news:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/coronavirus-update-pence-vows-to-keep-opening-up-america.html

quote:

Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday vowed that the Trump administration would “keep opening up America” despite a recent surge in coronavirus cases.

Pence told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” that the White House will stay with state leaders “every step of the way as they continue to take steps to mitigate the expansion of the coronavirus.”

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind giving my groceries a little alcohol wipe. I don't trust people to not cough on the stuff I'll pick.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Just chase food with booze. Jesus guys it’s for you’re health

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't mind giving my groceries a little alcohol wipe. I don't trust people to not cough on the stuff I'll pick.

the consensus the last 12 page derail about this was if it makes you feel better cool, go for it. telling other people it's suicide if you don't is some real corny projection though

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

zer0spunk posted:

I hate to ruin your fun but America is a pretty large import/export country, not to mention the world's largest economy,

We're also about to see what lack of American tourism does to global economies as the first step, wanna guess how that's going to go?

you shouldn't be rooting for any country to fail unless you're myopic as gently caress or just incredibly petty (why not both?)

Actually this is a good thing and I'm rooting for the underlying systems that give the elites their financial power to start cracking. Imagine simping for the broken rear end exploitative world economy in tyool 2020 lmao.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The girl I’ve been seeing just found out her best friend tested positive for covid after being required to take a test for the restaurant she works at which is about to fully open. She has been completely asymptomatic. The last time they saw each other was a week ago for a hike but if my girl tests positive then I for sure have it. Only symptom I’ve had is a slightly dry throat which I chalked up to allergies.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

OxMan posted:

Actually this is a good thing and I'm rooting for the underlying systems that give the elites their financial power to start cracking. Imagine simping for the broken rear end exploitative world economy in tyool 2020 lmao.

you're rooting for an economic melt down?

do you live in a cave and have no friends or family? what is this post

e: post your Unabomber manifesto or get out coward

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zero I think you should take a break.

Our economy already collapsed with 40+ million despite what you may see on the stock market.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

the consensus the last 12 page derail about this was if it makes you feel better cool, go for it. telling other people it's suicide if you don't is some real corny projection though

It rocks to be living in a time when I don’t know if ordering ice cream will kill me and eventually all my family

OxMan posted:

Yes I’m sure the house of cards falling will lead to an even better future, no doubt

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

zer0spunk posted:

you're rooting for an economic melt down?

Lmao I'd say let's see if you'll be defending the system after the 20 mil evictions but you're defending it now so

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yes I’m sure the house of cards falling will lead to an even better future, no doubt

Rather try something different than this broke rear end same.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Zero I think you should take a break.

Our economy already collapsed with 40+ million despite what you may see on the stock market.

nah, things will devolve more if there's no action from the fed. PUA runs out in 4 weeks, so you're about to see the safety net being pulled out of that 40 mil plus. I know you think it's bad, but it will get worse on the economic level and it's coming up fast.

That's why I was replying to the person who wanted to punch down at America right now without realizing the economy is this intrinsically linked thing globally not island nations or something. Like, think about what you're cheering for? Even if you have no empathy it will 100% effect you sooner or later.

Kind of the running theme of 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

OxMan posted:

If there's a new way
I'll be the first in line
But it better work this time…

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

OxMan posted:

meh your rage against the machine thing is tiring. you know as well as i do systemic change doesn't happen quickly, especially not in a dumpster fire global pandemic.

you're coming off like you carve A symbols into trees or something, be realistic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

OxMan posted:

there are a variety of ways to move from one state to another so rooting for the one that causes the maximum pain seems odd to me but ok

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Systemic change happens exactly when there's a time of crisis and people take the opportunity to press for it.

Tirelessly working to uphold the status quo is not how you get change lmao

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A thing people may not realize with a place like Houston filling up is that Houston has a fuckload of hospitals and hospital beds compared to a lot of cties. Like the Texas Medical Center downtown has like 13 major hospitals alone. I think they have 85 or so hospitals in the Houston area.

And *that* is almost at/exceeding capacity. They're so totally screwed.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

If there's a new way
I'll be the first in line
But it better work this time…

Actually if the current power systems are broken down entirely even if everything goes up the exact same way it will still take multiple generations for the entrenched webs to reform at least giving humanity some unprecedented actual freedom for once in its miserable history. But yeah no I'm the loon carving anarchy As in my math class desk it's cool you can read my manifesto after a cop kills me at a protest one of these days.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jabor posted:

Systemic change happens exactly when there's a time of crisis and people take the opportunity to press for it.

Tirelessly working to uphold the status quo is not how you get change lmao

my dudes (and ladies), WEARING A MASK is a political statement. Are we really having this debate about systemic change of capitalism right now? 🤦

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

OxMan posted:

Actually if the current power systems are broken down entirely even if everything goes up the exact same way it will still take multiple generations for the entrenched webs to reform at least giving humanity some unprecedented actual freedom for once in its miserable history. But yeah no I'm the loon carving anarchy As in my math class desk it's cool you can read my manifesto after a cop kills me at a protest one of these days.

good news global warming ensures there will be no multiple generations

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

zer0spunk posted:

my dudes (and ladies), WEARING A MASK is a political statement. Are we really having this debate about systemic change of capitalism right now? 🤦

It's not an opt-in process. Especially if the banks and landlords move to kick people out of their homes en masse.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zer0spunk posted:

I mean, its falling apart right now, and is going to continue to do so unless the Feds actually intervene again. Its not a matter of rooting for it, its matter of being able to look at the current path. I would prefer that the federal government didn't leave millions of Americans to become homeless as the economy recloses itself

schmug
May 20, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Contact tracing of foodborne pathogens is what every health department does 365 days a year in a normal year. Figuring out which romaine gave people e coli this time is their bread and butter and the same procedures and relationships are involved in tracing an outbreak of covid to a grocery store. I'm pretty confident in this result, personally.

yes determining whether or not someone who is making GBS threads their guts out bought bagged lettuce is exactly the same as contact tracing a highly communicable virus.

schmug
May 20, 2007

are we dead yet?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

that mask wearing is a political statement is exactly the type of bullshit that allows for a system being torn down. The Fed promoting a further commodification of communities isn't going to help the 40+ mil now or the 80+ mil come fall. It's just allowing for masks to continue to be a political statement due to the great stock market.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

OxMan posted:

Lol humanity doesn’t get freedom when powers fall, power voids fill up with assholes who take advantage and dominate with power
Source: all of human history

back to PLAGUE NEWS

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1278413841756545031?s=21

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Ferret King posted:

It's not an opt-in process. Especially if the banks and landlords move to kick people out of their homes en masse.

I mean we're about to find out when the highest number of unemployed Americans move past eviction moratorium dates.

My guess? This country doesn't give a poo poo and sides with landlords. No federal level moratorium. I'm in the things are about to get way worse fast camp, especially when the Senate decided to take a 2-week recess until july 17th to convene over things like the heroes act or state funding. There's still a backlog of UI claims in my state, but without funding they are cutting employees at the DOL not adding them like they should be to get people who haven't had income since march caught up. That's just one small example of how things are spiraling.

Thinking that it won't be politics as usual and we'll see reform is laughable, source: the history of america esp 2016-2020

(sorry for politco but it was the first result)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/30/mcconnell-suggests-senate-moves-on-coronavirus-345754

The response is just, wait until things are broken, then fix it if you absolutely have to. People died needlessly over this nonsense.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Mozi posted:

good news global warming ensures there will be no multiple generations

That's good at least.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lol humanity doesn’t get freedom when powers fall, power voids fill up with assholes who take advantage and dominate with power

back to PLAGUE NEWS

I'm not exaggerating, April in nyc was 24/7 ambulance sirens. No breaks, un-nerving as hell. 1000 people dying a day is hosed. Please don't let this get to that level where you live.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

zer0spunk posted:

I'm not exaggerating, April in nyc was 24/7 ambulance sirens. No breaks, un-nerving as hell. 1000 people dying a day is hosed. Please don't let this get to that level where you live.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I live in texas. Its too late. The people who are going to show up to hospitals without any beds for them are already infected. Houston's loving ginormous medical center will be completely overrun within a week and theres nothing we can do for those people.

And the governor STILL refuses to take action after causing this by deliberately undermining local ordinances.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/theroyalbadness/status/1278446601032384513?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

back to PLAGUE NEWS

yeah nobody outside of New York is posting panicky poo poo on Twitter

schmug
May 20, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I live in texas. Its too late. The people who are going to show up to hospitals without any beds for them are already infected. Houston's loving ginormous medical center will be completely overrun within a week and theres nothing we can do for those people.

And the governor STILL refuses to take action after causing this by deliberately undermining local ordinances.

no one could have seen this coming

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

schmug posted:

yes determining whether or not someone who is making GBS threads their guts out bought bagged lettuce is exactly the same as contact tracing a highly communicable virus.
lots of countries that aren't the US have done and are continuing to do actual contact tracing and there hasn't been evidence of food-borne transmission found yet. Do whatever makes you feel safe but face to face transmission is the most common vector by orders of magnitude.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I wanted to not be off topic here and pm you but since you can't get em

Power has never really fallen it has mostly been transferred, and the US power was directly descended from British aristocracy wealth so arguably it has stayed there for the last few hundred years. And in the last 100 has not budged a single bit, just grown and grown. And it's all been dependent on wealth. So yeah I mean destroy the wealth, destroy the power. We're in a lot of unprecedented history here, the age of public global information access makes things very different than it did even only a few years back when the Berlin wall fell.

Covid is a way poo poo thing to happen, but politically it's going to go down in history for its role in the shitshow that's already started.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
We Are All Gonna Get Evicted, Go Bankrupt, And Then Die is probably just too depressing of a thread title for GBS

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/pepys_diaries/status/1278751685582733312?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

wyoak posted:

lots of countries that aren't the US have done and are continuing to do actual contact tracing and there hasn't been evidence of food-borne transmission found yet. Do whatever makes you feel safe but face to face transmission is the most common vector by orders of magnitude.

Does this mean I can stop washing and sanitizing my hands constantly as well? I put it more into that category than the actual whether or not there is food born transmissions going on.

I go the grocery every two weeks or so and the last time I was there I literally saw a cashier blow her nose, stuff the kleenex back into her pocket, and then continue to ring up the person in front of me without even sanitizing her hands first. I dunno, but I just feel better wiping poo poo down when I get home. At the very least I feel it mitigates the chances of transfer no matter how small.

gently caress. I may keep doing it after all this poo poo is over. Just look around you the next time you're in a store. Turns out people are gross af.