Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

ShaneB posted:

Can I get some help from the brain collective here? I currently have a Novatouch TKL with some nice caps and love it for home use, but I'm curious about a smaller/more portable keyboard, mainly to throw a set of new caps I got onto something.

Ideally something in the 65% realm seems ideal to me, and I'm not insanely picky on the absolute coolest switches, just something that isn't loud but has some tactility (is that a word?) would be nice. I would REALLY LIKE a delete key, as I use it constantly it seems. page up/page down/home/end/del would all be nice to have.

Any suggestions?

If you're good with just Ins/Del then the Leopold FC660M could be a good option, comes in around $100-$115 and it's pretty well built for the price. Downside is that you'll have to settle for Cherry MX Brown or MX Clear for stock tactile switches and the right shift key is an unusual 2.25u instead of the standard 2.75u or 1.75u for most 65%s, so you'll probably need an extra left shift to replace it.

feedback loop fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

feedback loop posted:

If you're good with just Ins/Del then the Leopold FC660M could be a good option, comes in around $100-$115 and it's pretty well built for the price. Downside is that you'll have to settle for Cherry MX Brown or MX Clear for stock tactile switches and the right shift key is an unusual 2.25u instead of the standard 2.75u or 1.75u for most 65%s, so you'll probably need an extra left shift to replace it.

Well shoot I didn't get the like $35 "extended modifiers" so I'm screwed. It looks like all the 65s have weird right shifts.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

ShaneB posted:

Well shoot I didn't get the like $35 "extended modifiers" so I'm screwed. It looks like all the 65s have weird right shifts.

Yeah, it's definitely more work to find caps for the form factor because of that single key. You could always spring for a different modifiers set with a similar palette. Which base set did you get?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

feedback loop posted:

Yeah, it's definitely more work to find caps for the form factor because of that single key. You could always spring for a different modifiers set with a similar palette. Which base set did you get?

Nabbed these: https://drop.com/buy/domikey-sa-doubleshot-abs-orange-dolch-set

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be working from home for awhile. I'm currently using a very cheap Logitech wireless setup for keyboard and mouse. The mouse has poor tracking and the keyboard is physically uncomfortable for me to use after awhile.

Is there a keyboard / mouse combo anyone recommends? I would prefer one receiver for both and under $50. I would prefer a mechanical keyboard but am ok with whatever.

(Cross posted from mouse thread)

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's your desk setup like / is this a desktop or laptop?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

My laptop is tucked underneath the monitor shelf along with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

But that keyboard is just terrible for ours of typing and I do lots of typing.

EDIT: The picture above made me go clean my mousepad.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 2, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5027

I guess my regular keys would work for this, but then I'd have to memorize the secondary functions of everything. Eek.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Your best bet might be trying PimpMyKeyboard for a set of 4 blank keycaps that would look decent with the set. Could also wait until this set is shipped out and post on r/mechmarket or Geekhack to see if anyone has the mods set up for sale.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

SalTheBard posted:

My laptop is tucked underneath the monitor shelf along with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

But that keyboard is just terrible for ours of typing and I do lots of typing.

EDIT: The picture above made me go clean my mousepad.

I have that exact Logitech keyboard and it’s just full of full-blown rear end and garbage. I still have some of their older wireless keyboards that were miles ahead in quality, but their newer “office” models are not suited to being in an office space.

I even went and got a THIRD Logitech keyboard and it was bad in terms of typing experience. The kicker is that not all their wireless products “share” on a dongle so they’re mostly useless for portability.

I might bring in my Rosewill with PBTs and MX Reds and slap on some o-rings for the office. It’ll be just about the same noise level but at least it’ll be useful.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ringo Star Get posted:

I have that exact Logitech keyboard and it’s just full of full-blown rear end and garbage.

It was $20 at Micro Center. I never imagined that I would actually have to use it as pretty much my "full" time computer.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just received my Unicomp Classic and drat

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Origami Dali posted:

Just received my Unicomp Classic and drat

Is this a good drat?

I've been eyeballing one forever

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is this a good drat?

It's a very good drat. I've been wanting an old style large and heavy clacky keyboard for a while, and this thing is exactly what I needed. It's loud, the keyfeel and feedback is near perfect (though people used to a more shallow actuation that requires less pressure might be thrown off a bit), and the build quality is much better than some older reviews led me to believe. Their quality control has supposedly gotten better on their standard classic in the past couple of years. Mine has a sticker date of last week, so I believe it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Origami Dali posted:

It's a very good drat. I've been wanting an old style large and heavy clacky keyboard for a while, and this thing is exactly what I needed. It's loud, the keyfeel and feedback is near perfect (though people used to a more shallow actuation that requires less pressure might be thrown off a bit), and the build quality is much better than some older reviews led me to believe. Their quality control has supposedly gotten better on their standard classic in the past couple of years. Mine has a sticker date of last week, so I believe it.

Are the keys still the classic ibm style 2 piece keys? I've heard the newer unicomps only do it for the modifier keys or just use single piece keys all around depending on when it was made, given that yours was made last week. also since the white and black ones seem to come with different keys which color did you go for?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm going to be working from home for awhile. I'm currently using a very cheap Logitech wireless setup for keyboard and mouse. The mouse has poor tracking and the keyboard is physically uncomfortable for me to use after awhile.

Is there a keyboard / mouse combo anyone recommends? I would prefer one receiver for both and under $50. I would prefer a mechanical keyboard but am ok with whatever.

(Cross posted from mouse thread)

This goon is selling a Microsoft Sculpt keyboard and mouse for $50. I used this extensively before getting into mechanical keyboards, and it served me well for many hours of comfortable typing and mousing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Are the keys still the classic ibm style 2 piece keys? I've heard the newer unicomps only do it for the modifier keys or just use single piece keys all around depending on when it was made, given that yours was made last week. also since the white and black ones seem to come with different keys which color did you go for?

I went for the Classic 104 White, USB.

All of the grey keys are two piece, all of the white keys are one piece.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Boy that's a blast from the past. Tempting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I used a unicomp from like 2001 to 2012 or thereabout and they're great but the 2 key rollover eventually got me to switch for games. It was rarely an issue for the wasd cluster but when you added in shift, ctl, tab, and zxc as possible other keys you'd hit in an FPS it was too much.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
My MT3 Susuwatari order arrived. It came with this nice little bonus for first round orders :3:

Will probably take forever to get around to mounting these on a keyboard, but stay tuned :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is this a good drat?

I love the hell out of my Unicomp. I've had it for about five years now and it's the best keyboard I've ever used.

I did have to send it in for repair a few months ago (it was either a loose wire in the cable or a shock to the logic board), but the experience was the best you could ask for. They charge a flat rate to repair whatever might be wrong, and will even upgrade an old Model M with a PS/2 plug to USB if you like. The only downside was the week or two that the whole process took, during which I had to type on a crappy old mush-board that I had lying around.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Guess I was more productive today than I thought I would be. They're pretty all right. I like that the spacebar keys are actually convex though

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Guess I was more productive today than I thought I would be. They're pretty all right. I like that the spacebar keys are actually convex though

There is a disappointing lack of a Jiji keycap on that board.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Its profile doesn't match any of the rows on my keyboard :cry:

edit: oh lol, my M and N are switched. I keep doing that :negative:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 4, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Its profile doesn't match any of the rows on my keyboard :cry:

:negative:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Origami Dali posted:

All of the grey keys are two piece, all of the white keys are one piece.

drat that looks good. So strange that's the only classic I've seen with, what I understood to be, the old style key lock badge but also seems to have the blue leds from the "new" model M.

also I emailed their support after I replied to your post and they said they switched to single piece keys a year ago so you apparently got lucky.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made a spill on my keyboard and I am so loving pissed at myself :suicide:

Unplugged the keyboard, removed the keys, fanned out what I can, leaving it upside down, and hoping for the best. I think a little bit of the stain is in the clear plastic of the cherry switches FUUUUUUUCK how do I fix that :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Let it dry out for a good while, test the switches, replace any that are borked? Not sure what you need to do about potential PCB issues, what did you spill?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Origami Dali posted:

I got the 101-key, mostly out of a cantankerous desire to be old-fashioned -- none of those newfangled circa-1995 Windows keys for me, by cracky!

But for boards that DO have them, I've always preferred Unicomp's 103-key layout, which doesn't shorten the spacebar to shoehorn in a second Windows key for the right side. (They really had no other choice where to put it unless they moved the right Alt key, which wouldn't have been the right call.) It's not as if I ever hit the spacebar way over there on the end, so it would make precisely zero difference when typing. I just think the layout looks a little cleaner without it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pollyanna posted:

I made a spill on my keyboard and I am so loving pissed at myself :suicide:

Unplugged the keyboard, removed the keys, fanned out what I can, leaving it upside down, and hoping for the best. I think a little bit of the stain is in the clear plastic of the cherry switches FUUUUUUUCK how do I fix that :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

What type/model of keyboard?

I've spilled a variety of liquids on keyboards so you might be ok.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Been having a blast typing on this guy since getting it a few days ago. Never had Cherry Stabilizers - spacebar and enter key are totally different in typing now. Waiting on some o-rings to help silence it a bit for when I take it to the office. I also put in some insulation into the board to help with some of the sound deadening but might go out and get either some shelf liner or neoprene pieces. Using Cherry Reds.

Threw on some of the white key caps to break up the blues and I like it. However the key caps are not fully PBT so sometime in the future I might spring for a set. Overall though, big fan, having the function row and the PgUp/PgDn keys are helpful for the work I do.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Been having a blast typing on this guy since getting it a few days ago. Never had Cherry Stabilizers - spacebar and enter key are totally different in typing now. Waiting on some o-rings to help silence it a bit for when I take it to the office. I also put in some insulation into the board to help with some of the sound deadening but might go out and get either some shelf liner or neoprene pieces. Using Cherry Reds.

Threw on some of the white key caps to break up the blues and I like it. However the key caps are not fully PBT so sometime in the future I might spring for a set. Overall though, big fan, having the function row and the PgUp/PgDn keys are helpful for the work I do.

You’ll probably want to lube the stabs. A few of the Akko reviews I’ve seen indicate that the stabs are barely lubed. That’ll help a lot with the rattle.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Looks like a really rad setup.

Does it have Bluetooth functionality as an option?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

.Z. posted:

You’ll probably want to lube the stabs. A few of the Akko reviews I’ve seen indicate that the stabs are barely lubed. That’ll help a lot with the rattle.

Yeah I got some super lube that I plan on getting in there once my o-rings come in. Did that with my Rosewill and along with PBT caps it quieted it down a lot. I know some people go the extreme and desolder and take apart the switches but 1.) I don't have that kit and 2.) Screw going through all that work.

meta² posted:

Looks like a really rad setup.

Does it have Bluetooth functionality as an option?

Unfortunately it wasn't the BT edition which has been sold out everywhere. I'd love to get a wireless mechanical keyboard (dongle or BT) that is 1800 compact. Wish they'd make a wireless version of the Vortex Vibe because that is perfect.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I was too weak. My wallet, it cries.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some Goon posted:

Let it dry out for a good while, test the switches, replace any that are borked? Not sure what you need to do about potential PCB issues, what did you spill?

CyberPingu posted:

What type/model of keyboard?

I've spilled a variety of liquids on keyboards so you might be ok.

I overreacted, it wasn’t that bad. Keyboard works fine, just has a little bit of staining of the plastic around the switch. Can’t see it with the caps on. Still pissed at myself, though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

.Z. posted:

I was too weak. My wallet, it cries.

poo poo that's nice though

DURGOD will be producing a series of retro-inspires Bluetooth capable boards. Im hard pressed not to pick one up:

(Can't get the image to embed on the phone :( )

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/029/339/243/0efc2e218fc6dc5f3dd362193893747a_original.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...QsfLz3YTIceu1YI

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

DURGOD will be producing a series of retro-inspires Bluetooth capable boards. Im hard pressed not to pick one up:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/029/339/243/0efc2e218fc6dc5f3dd362193893747a_original.jpg

Those look hot. Saw a review vid that not only are the boards BT capable, but have a WiFi dongle too.

Even though I just bought my Akko, I’m tempted for a THIRD mechanical keeb.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am so stoked for the Fusion. JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2DYHoz8sUE