Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I think I’m gonna drop Thor after this issue. I was hanging on in the hopes that Cates had ... something. After 5 issues though this feels like a poor follow-up to Aaron’s run, which to be fair was always going to be a near impossible feat.

But nothing feels fresh about this run at all. The characters feel completely different from where they were only a few months ago. Everything feels entirely rote and the redesign of Thor, which I was initially really interested in, has just started to look like his 90s redesign again. Cates made an unwise decision to dip back into Aaron’s run this chapter and I was only surprised at how it made me feel upset with the comic, given how little substance it’s shown so far.

I dunno, maybe it’ll get better but I honestly don’t think it will. I feel like this is exactly what Cates wants to do and I guess I’m just not down for it. It’s a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Nilbop posted:

I think I’m gonna drop Thor after this issue. I was hanging on in the hopes that Cates had ... something. After 5 issues though this feels like a poor follow-up to Aaron’s run, which to be fair was always going to be a near impossible feat.

But nothing feels fresh about this run at all. The characters feel completely different from where they were only a few months ago. Everything feels entirely rote and the redesign of Thor, which I was initially really interested in, has just started to look like his 90s redesign again. Cates made an unwise decision to dip back into Aaron’s run this chapter and I was only surprised at how it made me feel upset with the comic, given how little substance it’s shown so far.

I dunno, maybe it’ll get better but I honestly don’t think it will. I feel like this is exactly what Cates wants to do and I guess I’m just not down for it. It’s a shame.

There's just very little fun to Cates' work, I find. It's like this Fast Show sketch all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=palevTnLiec

I thought the Knull stuff was a great opening arc and then it just lost me. At least we got Bats the dog from his Doctor Strange stuff, and he certainly goes big. I can see that plenty of people really dig his work, but to me it feels quite retrograde, like a kind of modern edge-lord veneer over 90s comics and I find his retrofitting of Marvel history shallow compared to how Ewing weaves past continuity into his work. Silver Surfer: Black was gorgeous to look at, but utterly forgettable in terms of story, beyond the endless bummer narration getting on my nerves.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I like Cates on the whole, but he is definitely the master of having a really good book that you just suddenly stop reading half way through the run because you just lost interest all of a sudden. Redneck, Venom, and pretty much anything other than his six issues of Thanos have been like this

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1278731356667871233

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Poor Dark Horse...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
They got what they deserved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For real, sheltering and protecting Scott Allie for 20 years?

gently caress em. Let em burn.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

But who will think of the poor Brood. :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

But who will think of the poor Brood. :(

gently caress it alien v brood

give it to Ewing.

edit: What would a xenomorph that gestated inside a brood look like?!!

Where's Xenomorph, I want their take on this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

edit: What would a xenomorph that gestated inside a brood look like?!!

An intellectual property lawsuit

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This is a pretty good thread on the Spider-Man/Mary Jane Relationship:
https://twitter.com/mikeavila/status/1278557845999570945

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope a lot more predators will be leaving Dark Horse soon.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 3, 2020

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I hope Marvel has the good sense to not integrate the xenomorphs and Predators into the 616

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Happy Hippo posted:

I hope Marvel has the good sense to not integrate the xenomorphs and Predators into the 616

*laughs in Cimmerian* Oh if only.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

rantmo posted:

*laughs in Cimmerian* Oh if only.

It would be pretty cool to get a Conan vs Aliens and Predator story

A tale of cunning, wits matched with the ultimate hunter while he cuts though a wave of Xenomorphs all because he needed to rescue a Princess who had a magical artifact trapped by the Alien Queen

Edit: he’s paired with Doom as the sorcerer in a buddy cop team up

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 3, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't wait for the inevitable Venom&CaptainUniverse Predator

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable Venom&CaptainUniverse Predator

If this means we get Arnold's Dutch in the 616 doing some cool poo poo I'm down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom Strange and Conan need their own team book

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Donny Cates will reveal that Xenomorphs were created by Knull.

Oh no we are *definitely* getting symbiote Xenos aren't we?

Oh wait.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1278724666631376897?s=20

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all acting like Superman Vs Aliens wasn't awesome

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if it were like 5 years ago I would be expecting the announcement of Predator Kills The Marvel Universe tomorrow

now I'm only expecting it in about 3 months

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blockhouse posted:

y'all acting like Superman Vs Aliens wasn't awesome

It wasn’t Batman vs Predator, but it was pretty good.

Had to have someone point out that Peter Quill’s walkman is in the Alien picture.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Donny Cates will reveal that Xenomorphs were created by Knull.

Oh no we are *definitely* getting symbiote Xenos aren't we?

Oh wait.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1278724666631376897?s=20

loving money's paw

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The only good Knull appearance is as a sword. Pretty sure I don't need any more at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love Spider-Man, but he's one of the last characters I would ever put in a crossover with the Predator or Aliens. Like, give me Punisher or Kraven or Black Panther vs. Predator. Captain Marvel or Nova vs. Aliens.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The only good Knull appearance is as a sword. Pretty sure I don't need any more at this point.

Well too bad, because KNULL IS COMING.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The jizz font. Ugh.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He's coming to Halloween Adventures and he's buying a french fry costume and the Marvel Comics Universe will never be the same.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can't believe gently caress is coming

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Seriously, when is this gonna be photoshopped to "Knull is cumming" because of that font choice?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

More like Knull is Boring, right? Because he's boring.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Knull was Bendis making a backstory about All Black the Necrosword that didn't need to exist because he's Bendis and wanted to ruin things by being halfass right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Knull is 100% Donny Cates so far as I remember.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah he came round in his Venom run and retroactively became the necrosword forger. Donny is just really commuted to this guy and hasn’t been able to make him interesting since the first arc.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Has Cates written anything since that didn't involve Knull? This is not rhetorical, it feels like it's his one-trick and he's gonna keep riding that particular pony until it's a horse he's beaten to death. I am bad at equine metaphors.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If rumors are to be believed this is a Venom/Thor focused event with Cates writing the Venom stuff and Aaron writing the Thor stuff

Also I don't think Knull has had anything to do with Cates' Thor

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 4, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought Aaron said he was done with Thor at the end of All Father Thor?

Can we just be done with Venom for a while? I mean I'm sure there's good stories out there but maybe just let them percolate for a little while before trotting them out. Absolute Carnage just felt like a F/R of Venomverse with Carnage replacing Poisons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Has Cates written anything since that didn't involve Knull? This is not rhetorical, it feels like it's his one-trick and he's gonna keep riding that particular pony until it's a horse he's beaten to death. I am bad at equine metaphors.

His GOTG run was pretty good and didn't involve Knull aside from one kinda wanky splash panel near the very end.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I've no idea who this "Knull" person is but he doesn't appear in Cates' first 5 issues of Thor.

Although just going by the name alone I'm guessing he's some elder god of nothingness or something, and it's not hard to see how that could tie into Cates' Thor given whats happened so far.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

I love Spider-Man, but he's one of the last characters I would ever put in a crossover with the Predator or Aliens. Like, give me Punisher or Kraven or Black Panther vs. Predator. Captain Marvel or Nova vs. Aliens.

Spider-Man has been hunted so many times by various villains it wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. But a Predator would fit moreso than a xenomorph.