Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
My favorite decks in Standard are definitely Spell Dragon and Enrage Warrior, along with Spell Mage as a lower tier but fun one. Standard had mostly been fun since DH's third or so nerf (not counting Twin Slice), but playing against Priest is painful, especially the glut I faced last week. I almost wish there were a way to block one class from being your opponent, but I guess that could make things too predictable or remove key weaknesses from some decks.

Wild is fun to farm hero wins at lower ranks, but at higher ranks (D10 or above) it was all Odd DH, Cubelock and Secret Mage and really a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've legit never seen altirus hit for more than like 4. it's good but not insane, idk.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Acerbatus posted:

I've legit never seen altirus hit for more than like 4. it's good but not insane, idk.

I’ve used him to hit for 6 before, but that was before Twin Slice was changed. The most I’ve done since has been 4, but I haven’t played much DH in the past month.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ECFzfGfIzU

god this was so long ago

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Consider the fact that hitting enemy minions alone for 4 costs 7 mana

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah Altrius clears the board, deals additional face damage, and it usually doesn't cost card advantage since DH has so many cantrips.

Imagine a 4 mana Abyssal Enforcer, that then also gives your hero +6 attack.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Just had a DQ Alexstraza give me two Deathwings. :psyduck:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Sloppy posted:

Just had a DQ Alexstraza give me two Deathwings. :psyduck:

I got double DW Mad Aspect a few days ago, it was rad.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

gently caress this game and gently caress DH especially. I shouldn't heal 24 health in a game, have 2 taunts up, and, and still die because Kayn is a card that should have never been printed.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Kayn is a card that should have never been printed.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

gently caress this game and gently caress DH especially. I shouldn't heal 24 health in a game, have 2 taunts up, and, and still die because Kayn is a card that should have never been printed.

"Kayn's effect on the game was more substantial than our internal testing revealed, making Taunt a liability to the point that players were effectively wasting their turns playing Taunt minions against Demon Hunters.

As such we feel that rising Kayn to 5 mana, whilst also raising his attack to 4 to somewhat offset the mana increase, will help promote more interactive games."

Anarchy reigns, death to Wild.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

"Kayn's effect on the game was more substantial than our internal testing revealed, making Taunt a liability to the point that players were effectively wasting their turns playing Taunt minions against Demon Hunters.

As such we feel that rising Kayn to 5 mana, whilst also raising his attack to 4 to somewhat offset the mana increase, will help promote more interactive games."

Anarchy reigns, death to Wild.

Please tell me this isn't real. Please.

Ps, for those who want to try something a little different, may I present miracle elemental mage!

### Watson
# Class: Mage
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Elemental Allies
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (1) Violet Spellwing
# 1x (2) Astromancer Solarian
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (2) Khadgar
# 2x (2) Mana Cyclone
# 2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
# 2x (3) Arcane Amplifier
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (3) Chenvaala
# 2x (4) Conjurer's Calling
# 1x (7) Archmage Antonidas
# 2x (8) Mana Giant
# 1x (9) Frost Lich Jaina
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
#
AAEBAf0EBrgIm9MClpoD+KwDxbgDjbsDDKsE5gSWBeEH68ICg5YDn5sD4psD+6wD/awD868DiLYDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Starring all your most hated tricks - insane card draw! Loads of generation! CHEAP CHEAP giants and conjurers calling! Hands full of fireballs! Insane swing turns! And the showstopper, loving FLJ!

No real guide, you'll get a feel for it more than anything. Until you play FLJ, you don't have heal, so control control control.

Handy hint: Evocation guarantees 3 mana giants. Use this insane tempo play as you see fit.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fenarisk posted:

I was listening to Celestalon on Coin Concede the other day and it was really a bummer how pleased and unconcerned he seemed about DH. Maybe only the complainers are loud but I haven't really heard anyone express happiness about DH and the effects he's had on the game.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Sloppy posted:

I was listening to Celestalon on Coin Concede the other day and it was really a bummer how pleased and unconcerned he seemed about DH. Maybe only the complainers are loud but I haven't really heard anyone express happiness about DH and the effects he's had on the game.

Demon hunter managing to be the best aggro deck and really good midrange, in the same frigging deck, is the problem. The most consistent counter to that is extreme control, which is always miserable, and with there not being any really consistent otk combos to deal with that, makes for a very polarised meta.

Edit :at least there's no demon hunter DK card. Could you even imagine?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Sloppy posted:

The VS podcast is much more concerned on what DH is doing to Standard right now. It boils down to “one deck shouldn’t have both the best early game snowballing potential and also extremely effective tools to punch through control deck defenses in the mid-late game”. ZachO pretty explicitly called for nerfs to Kayn, Altruis, Warglaives, Metamorphosis, AND Skull.

edit: It’s kind of bonkers how many tools DH has that make taunts weak against them. Between direct damage cards, Kayn, and Warglaives, taunts become nearly meaningless as a defensive mechanic at about turn 6.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 3, 2020

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think Skull is still the biggest offender. I typically find I can stabilize against DH, but then lose a lot of games because I can't turn the corner on them once they go from a 1 card hand to a 4 card hand, in one turn, while also playing 3 cards and clearing a minion. Altruis is very broken, I'm less worried about Kayn. Warglaives is one of those cards that will just always be a massive problem to design around and they should kill that issue now. Metamorphosis is less concerning than the rest of that list I think, although similar to Warglaives I think it will prove to be an issue sooner or later. I think that Priestess of Fury is a bigger problem. It's also totally bonkers that the class has a totally serviceable control package that no one's ever bothered to play.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I find DH unsatisfying to play against, and also as. Game was better without it.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yeah Big DH is just around the corner waiting with the entire other half of unnerfed DH cards.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

I think Skull is still the biggest offender.

I'd agree with this just for ALAS POOR WARLOCK alone.

Warglaives need to be 6 mana for sure. Those plus Odd DH's hero power is just enough to punch through,

pretty much every relevant Taunt minion that sees play in Wild.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 3, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
as the thread's resident aggro hater it should come as no surprise that I hate the world's most aggro class which also never runs out of steam ever

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Warglaives need to be 6 mana for sure. Those plus Odd DH's hero power is just enough to punch through,

pretty much every relevant Taunt minion that sees play in Wild.

I never quite get how the warglaives, notably a legendary item, aren't a legendary card. Being limited to 1 in a deck would help.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine if they basically went through all of the trouble of nerfing just about everything that makes DH King right now... only for token DH to get just enough support to become their next busted archetype.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I wish there was a way to tell Zephyrys that “actually I know for a fact what that mage secret is and if you just give me flare I can kill him” so that he doesn’t insist on giving me that stupid priest 2 mana 2/3 minion

In Wild, the one I've been running into more recently is Cube or Gul'Dan Warlock plays Skull of the Man'ari, I have like 9 cards in hand, and I can either play Zephrys at 7 mana to guaranteed get Harrison Jones and mill some of my own cards, or play Zephrys at less than 7 mana and get offered like, Earth Elemental and two things to deal with his little minions on the board instead of an ooze

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

In Wild, the one I've been running into more recently is Cube or Gul'Dan Warlock plays Skull of the Man'ari, I have like 9 cards in hand, and I can either play Zephrys at 7 mana to guaranteed get Harrison Jones and mill some of my own cards, or play Zephrys at less than 7 mana and get offered like, Earth Elemental and two things to deal with his little minions on the board instead of an ooze

you probably know that you can help zephrys figure it out by playing him with 4 mana, so he only has two to work with. but yeah, it'd be neat if you could tell him what you really cared about somehow since he doesn't always get it

but then, I guess that's why he says "your wish is my suggestion"

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

orangelex44 posted:

It's also totally bonkers that the class has a totally serviceable control package that no one's ever bothered to play.

The reason people tend not to play Control DH is that it’s a pretty bad deck that’s overshadowed by better control decks in Warrior, Mage, and Priest.

World War Mammories posted:

you probably know that you can help zephrys figure it out by playing him with 4 mana, so he only has two to work with. but yeah, it'd be neat if you could tell him what you really cared about somehow since he doesn't always get it

I once needed him to offer me just any type of removal at all, anything, and he offered me 3 “lethal” cards, all of which were actually 2-3 life off of lethal. Of course spending the 2 mana on him locked me out of any other line that would have prevented me from dying on the opponent’s next turn.

But he’s been a “win the game” button so often that it’s hard to stay mad for long.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 3, 2020

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Shoulda paid the Aranna tax

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Yeah zephyrs has seemed really off recently and it’s been really frustrating to not be offered some silence or weapon hate when the situation clearly calls for it.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Santheb posted:

Yeah zephyrs has seemed really off recently and it’s been really frustrating to not be offered some silence or weapon hate when the situation clearly calls for it.

He’s only ever reliably offered silence in 2 situations as far as I can tell:
  • When silencing a taunt is lethal
  • When silencing will wipe a bunch of stats off the board

He doesn’t usually prioritize deathrattles as something that are worth caring about because his code can’t see what the deathrattles actually do. If there’s a bunch that Mass Dispel may hit, he might offer it, but usually he cares more about what’s showing on the board. Imagine a player that can’t mouseover anything to see what it does.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lock Illidan away for another 10,000 years.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

World War Mammories posted:

The problem is getting exactly to 4 - I *think* if you can do it exactly at 4 you're good, but I know 5 (which usually brings something like Shadow Word Pain/Animal Companion/Brightwing) is a no-go

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Promoted Pawn posted:

The reason people tend not to play Control DH is that it’s a pretty bad deck that’s overshadowed by better control decks in Warrior, Mage, and Priest.

I think people are still so obsessed over how good DH is they've missed that other decks are better.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Olpainless posted:

Ps, for those who want to try something a little different, may I present miracle elemental mage!

### Watson
#
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (2) Khadgar
# 2x (2) Mana Cyclone
# 1x (3) Chenvaala
# 2x (8) Mana Giant
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
#
AAEBAf0EBrgIm9MClpoD+KwDxbgDjbsDDKsE5gSWBeEH68ICg5YDn5sD4psD+6wD/awD868DiLYDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Starring all your most hated tricks - insane card draw! Loads of generation! CHEAP CHEAP giants and conjurers calling! Hands full of fireballs! Insane swing turns! And the showstopper, loving FLJ!

No real guide, you'll get a feel for it more than anything. Until you play FLJ, you don't have heal, so control control control.

Handy hint: Evocation guarantees 3 mana giants. Use this insane tempo play as you see fit.

I got lucky and only had to craft Frost Lich to build this. I'm glad I did, it's a lot of fun. Thanks!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sloppy posted:

Some people have said that they like DH for being so consistent, and not reliant on RNG on the same level as Rogue and other classes are.
Of course, consistency is literally one of the most powerful tools any deck in any card game can have soo.....

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Olpainless posted:

### Watson
#
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (2) Khadgar
# 2x (2) Mana Cyclone
# 1x (3) Chenvaala
# 2x (8) Mana Giant
# 2x (12) Mountain Giant
#
#

Missing Chenvaala and Solarian - should I bother trying this without them?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Solarian is just a really, really solid two drop, and I see her being a solid fixture for a good while in wild and standard, but not strictly necessary.

Chenvaala is solid 3,and if you have apprentices on board and cheap spells, it's one of those really swingy moments. She'd be more difficult to sub, but isn't generally a top tier card... Tough call on that.

At a pinch, I'd probably suggest Tar Creeper as a fairly reasonable 3 drop for both, just to see how you feel about the rest of it.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 4, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I hope hooktusk's battleground dominance hasn't soured everyone on the urgent need for a hooktusk rogue hero

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

kaesarsosei posted:

Missing Chenvaala and Solarian - should I bother trying this without them?

Chenvaala can be swapped with little impact, Solarian not so much.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just lost a BG when an opponent's Pagle treasure chest gave them... a golden Pagle

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Getting tired of standard, I miss just having fun with random rear end decks like tess rogue and old thief priest, where even if you lose you dont really care.

Is wild still mostly odd DH, big priests, and warlocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

Getting tired of standard, I miss just having fun with random rear end decks like tess rogue and old thief priest, where even if you lose you dont really care.

Is wild still mostly odd DH, big priests, and warlocks?

Big priest is dead, reno priest is the new flavor. It's mostly pirate warrior, odd DH, and secret mage in my experience.