Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:lol:

quote:

In Westminster and Washington, relations between the government and journalists are at their lowest ebb. Routine lines of communication have been severed as political leaders use the electronic media to get their message out directly, bypassing the traditional mediators in print and on the airwaves.

"It really sucks that the government are talking to people directly rather than getting us to quote them directly and uncritically, that's a very important job."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Odd that she's sharing an article from Feb, has something changed recently?

E: also, 'goverment is withholding information, subscribe to find out what'...

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Nah Maduro is a dictator and his last elections were as legitimate as Putins. Of course, there are plenty other dictators who's money is stored there which isn't touched, just the one who the west doesn't like and has oil is getting the hammer brought down on him.

Guess that makes it okay for the government to steal Venezuelans sovereign wealth and give it to random lackie of America.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
People are noticing Angela Rayner has been very quiet (non-existent) on social media since RLB got the boot.

Also:

Life is so surreal these days I have no idea if this is a serious tweet or not.

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1278762193157267457?s=20

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group AVALANCHE. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

People are noticing Angela Rayner has been very quiet (non-existent) on social media since RLB got the boot.

Do they still live together lol? If so that's gotta be an extremely fun household. And an extremely fun "friendship" regardless :v:

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
I have read Sephiroth's report on summoning Meteor and while I do believe there are risks, I am willing to support his plan and hold him to account if necessary. We need to reach across the Lifestream here, no more opposition for opposition's sake.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Guess that makes it okay for the government to steal Venezuelans sovereign wealth and give it to random lackie of America.

That's not ok, as I was pointing out by how it was only targetted on the one bad dude who doesn't want to be a lacky of America? Maduro being an utter shitstain who is running his country into the ground doesn't make it ok to back American coups to take over - that never ends well in the long run, even with the dire state of Venezuela atm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This House is appalled, but barely surprised, at the revelations in Shinra's files regarding the bizarre and inhumane proposals to use chocobos as running bombs, but recognizes the important and live-saving role of chocobos in two world wars and wonders at the lack of gratitude towards these gentle creatures, and believes that humans represent the most obscene, perverted, cruel, uncivilized and lethal species ever to inhabit the planet and looks forward to the day when the inevitable Meteor slams into the earth and wipes them out thus giving nature the opportunity to start again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
“I support the collapse of the Sector 7 plate but, unlike President Shinra, I’m not blind to the risks and I don’t think anybody else should be,”

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

GG is obviously observably not a-ok with fascism, he's done more to fight it than you have, and yeah no poo poo the BNP as a small party tried to wrap itself in lefty rhetoric when convenient? Right wing populists can identify problems to sneak in sinister solutions you're making the same point I was.

GG is so obviously observably not a-ok with fascism that he just wrote an article about a bunch of fascists and how cool they are and how they’ve got a bunch of good ideas. People like you have been dreaming up excuses for why he’s a regular on the white supremacist Tucker Carlson’s show for ages now, but old Glenn lays it out in the article: he’s on there because he agrees with him. There isn’t fundamentally anything different between Tucker’s “philosophy” and the BNP’s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to suggest that you can't accuse humans of being the most uncivilized creature on the planet because that just means living in cities, but I guess technically the most civilized creature on the planet is probably a rat or a cockroach or something, so you can certainly suggest humans are far from the most civilized.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even most cockroaches would rather be far away from where humans are doing human stuff, but the ones that are there have either been invited or are well adapted.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Starmer says they are trying to save the planet. Honestly, I don't think it can be done. For even if they stop every tory on the planet, it's only going to postpone the inevitable. Even if they stop Johnson, everyone will be found fit to work. But, Rebecca. I've been thinking lately. I've been thinking if there was anything WE could do, as a part of the planet, something to help a planet already in misery... No matter what happens, isn't it important to try? Am I just wishing against fate?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If you go back to the church in the London slums you can see Corbyn's ghost

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"That's when the one who injured Labour... or the 'crisis from the centre', as we call him, came. He first approached as a friend, deceived them, and finally...... gave them the Iraq War. The Labour base were attacked by the virus and went mad... transforming into centrists."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Trin Tragula posted:

Chavez was Trump before Trump. Maduro has all of Chavez's faults and none of his redeeming features. He's a dictator. It's not okay to stan for dictators because they say rude things to the Americans and we don't like the Americans much either.

gently caress off you fascist piece of poo poo

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

"chavez was trump before trump" is oz katerji levels of cuntery, amazing

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

this is why leftists in the global south think the UK left is a bunch of weird pedotrots, because they say poo poo like "chavez was trump before trump" lol

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

¿Por qué no te callas?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is why leftists in the global south think the UK left is a bunch of weird pedotrots, because they say poo poo like "chavez was trump before trump" lol

lol at the idea that anyone outside of this damp and grey island is spending 20 seconds thinking about the minuscule and irrelevant British left

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

People are noticing Angela Rayner has been very quiet (non-existent) on social media since RLB got the boot

Rayner has always struck me as someone who actually has principles. Not sure how long she'll be prepared to go along with all the poo poo that Starmer's been saying and doing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I got that impression but I guess we'll see. I'm not hopeful though.

The leadership campaign put me right off her.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

gh0stpinballa posted:

gently caress off you fascist piece of poo poo

Trin’s not a fascist. Can we not just throw that word around when there are actual literal fascists as a real political force right now?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think she'll become visibly unhappier and more uncomfortable with each piece of 'pragmatism' (squalid surrender of principle) that Starmer forces on her. She'll quit far too late but she will quit. I think.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Everyone looking forward to the pubs opening tomorrow, then the tabloids running pictures of busy pubs on Sunday and Monday in faux outrage?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It's going to be a bloodbath, but one that slowly unravels over 2-3 weeks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Haven't listened to the specific podcast at the end of the article but the general argument he's been making and the broader populist left/populist right discourse discussion is that the left should stop being obnoxious cunts, if someone wants 90% of the meaningful economic changes you do but they're also imperfect in some culture war way then if you just nope them it literally only helps capital and no-one else. Which is entirely true btw.

What do you think are the "imperfect in some culture war" things we should be overlooking?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think she'll become visibly unhappier and more uncomfortable with each piece of 'pragmatism' (squalid surrender of principle) that Starmer forces on her. She'll quit far too late but she will quit. I think.

If she does have principles they're are not all leftist ones. Something might tip her over the edge, possibly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Vitamin P posted:

gently caress off, either claim there's no class barrier to the new cultural language or say you think poor people are evil don't hedge like 'will absolutely call a transwoman lass but has never heard of a nimby' isn't a thing, and don't you dare imply a hatefullness that doesn't actually exist. "Opposed to the entire existence" gently caress off don't lie that people are worse than they actually are.

This isn't about "new cultural language" it's about the populist right not recognising the rights of trans people at all. This isn't about not using the correct pronouns it's about thinking other races are lesser and it happens a lot in every country, I guarantee it. Those people needed to be taught otherwise, but you can't bring them into a leftwing movement until they learn or they'll coopt it and subvert it towards their lovely cultural views.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 3, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/askforcawmbyok/status/1278692321383657473

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jonlansman/status/1278783916544057357?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao at deleting this

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1278960292014194688?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Totally loving useless

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1278973638985887744?s=19

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I'd like to thank Universal Credit for loving me over by counting furlough pay once, and then counting it again to reduce UC pay when I transferred it from my business account to my personal one. I know this because the council e-mailed me to demand the details of this payment at the time I hadn't received. What a shitshow.
And if people think this year is bad, wait til we're in a Brexit harsh realm next year on top of a recession while Pfeffel mugs away 'not believing in gestures' waving a kipper and dropping to the floor doing press ups. gently caress this country and deeply stupid planet.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Brexit is gonna be insane especially after covid-19. You'd think a sane government would be desperately trying to get a deal through but we're in bizzarro world where nothing makes sense anymore.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Goldskull posted:

I'd like to thank Universal Credit for loving me over by counting furlough pay once, and then counting it again to reduce UC pay when I transferred it from my business account to my personal one. I know this because the council e-mailed me to demand the details of this payment at the time I hadn't received. What a shitshow.
And if people think this year is bad, wait til we're in a Brexit harsh realm next year on top of a recession while Pfeffel mugs away 'not believing in gestures' waving a kipper and dropping to the floor doing press ups. gently caress this country and deeply stupid planet.

That sucks.

One of the things that puts me off applying (even though I wouldn't get anything at the moment as I have too many savings) is the fact that I circulate money around 3 different bank accounts to keep them all active (having had the experience of being locked out of an account for several weeks I vowed never to be in that position again!) and figured they would decide that I've 3x as much as I do because they would be incapable of understanding. People who work in those offices are not the sharpest knives in the drawer as they say.

(Back in the year dot before computers last time I claimed, they were the sort of people who would write along a ruler, make hundreds of spelling mistakes - but not let you fill in your own wretched forms).

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Comrade Fakename posted:

GG is so obviously observably not a-ok with fascism that he just wrote an article about a bunch of fascists and how cool they are and how they’ve got a bunch of good ideas. People like you have been dreaming up excuses for why he’s a regular on the white supremacist Tucker Carlson’s show for ages now, but old Glenn lays it out in the article: he’s on there because he agrees with him. There isn’t fundamentally anything different between Tucker’s “philosophy” and the BNP’s.

Will admit right off the bat that I haven’t watched the video at the end (I hate the profusion of long videos and podcasts in place of words I can read at my own pace). On the face of it though I don’t think Greenwald says he agrees with Carlson except on certain areas of common ground. He uses a conciliatory tone (eg ‘repellent-to-liberalism’ instead of just repellent) for sure. But I think that’s because he is hoping to get people like him more fully on side. If you follow a link within the article there is a long transcript of him trying to persuade Carlson on subjects like racial discrimination and structural unfairness. I don’t think that’s bad really? By using Carlson’s platform I imagine he gets left wing ideas out there more. If we are honest with ourselves we sometimes tend towards shrill knee-jerk reactions to people’s wrongness rather than trying to help them and I don’t think it helps us.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've got an idea for the next time a monthly thread is created:

Just post a huge, hyperlinked image of the twitter bird, linking to twitter.com of course.

Bish bash bosh, done.

Why bother making the effort that clearly goes into the usual OPs when my idea sets the tone and content of the threads perfectly?!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

Brexit is gonna be insane especially after covid-19. You'd think a sane government would be desperately trying to get a deal through but we're in bizzarro world where nothing makes sense anymore.

Britain is irredeemable and we are all paying for the mistakes and wrongs of its past, this is the spot coming to a head, the worm surfacing

Basically the uk needs to disintegrate into various nations, with England probably being split up if you want to deal with the north/south divide in any meaningful way

gently caress this country and it's horrible treatment of anyone who isn't white or rich or cis or straight or male or Christian etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

they're going to use how poo poo their covid response has made things as their excuse for brexit making it much worse