Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mobile suit goatse posted:

The gas chamber was renamed, because it's horrible and insensitive. Pretending the acronym of the forum means something different isn't the same.

It's really funny that you've gone from defending your right to use autism as an insult to pretending you were actually arguing about the forum acronym the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

i think i got my fill of all the sequels from playing Legacy of the Duelist like an autistic person both on Xbox and Switch

The gas chamber was renamed, because it's horrible and insensitive. Pretending the acronym of the forum means something different isn't the same.

This subforum has been really weirdly hostile towards me, so don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore.

Absolutely pathetic showing, my friend. At least don't double post when you try to shift gears that hard. It gives the game away.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This subforum has been really weirdly hostile towards me, so don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore.
:wave: Cya! Remember that you're welcome to come back!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The mobile suit goatse filler arc was weird and didn't really matter at all, but I still prefer it to Doma.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MJeff posted:

The mobile suit goatse filler arc was weird and didn't really matter at all, but I still prefer it to Doma.

gently caress you. Doma was great because it gave us peak emo Pharaoh and the armor deck. :argh:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What was so wrong with DOMA? I'll take it over the waste that was the KCGP any day of the week.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have issues with Atem being so prideful he gets Yugi killed over basically nothing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Bee posted:

What was so wrong with DOMA? I'll take it over the waste that was the KCGP any day of the week.

It basically tossed out all semblance of characterization up to that point in the series. Nearly everyone was acting massively out of character except Jounouchi and Kaiba for the sake of some weak-rear end drama.

But, I don't care. poo poo was still entertaining. It wasn't as if characterization was the big hook for YGO:DM, anyway.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'd be all for a new anime that hewed closer to the original manga both in tone and especially visuals, though to please the Konami overlords I'd say have most of the early games* be replaced with Duel Monsters so it can get to advertising the revenue source quicker(plus it'd be fun to come up with appropriate deck types for the various assholes Yugi deals with early on), another change I'd do is have the show card game match more closely to the real one from the beginning instead of it being a huge mess that doesn't come close to the real thing till Battle City(and in a similar vein decks would be more competent and viable, so less situations like Rex Raptor having no Dinosaur type monsters above 1600 ATK or Yugi's Duelist Kingdom era deck being a random mish mash of mostly lovely cards that adds new cards every episode)

*there would be some exceptions, like Capsule Monster Chess that would still get their spotlight

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

i'm fine with Doma entirely because it gave us Timaeus which at least made Dark Magician slightly playable for a bit. It wasn't a great deck or anything but it'll never be (beyond the two broken as poo poo cards it has now that are better played in any other deck), and at least it let it do things.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd be all for a new anime that hewed closer to the original manga both in tone and especially visuals, though to please the Konami overlords I'd say have most of the early games* be replaced with Duel Monsters so it can get to advertising the revenue source quicker(plus it'd be fun to come up with appropriate deck types for the various assholes Yugi deals with early on), another change I'd do is have the show card game match more closely to the real one from the beginning instead of it being a huge mess that doesn't come close to the real thing till Battle City(and in a similar vein decks would be more competent and viable, so less situations like Rex Raptor having no Dinosaur type monsters above 1600 ATK or Yugi's Duelist Kingdom era deck being a random mish mash of mostly lovely cards that adds new cards every episode)

*there would be some exceptions, like Capsule Monster Chess that would still get their spotlight

That reminded me to some extent of the Cardfight!! Vanguard reboot, which followed the manga completely until it ran out of material, but changed all card games to not be poo poo like they were in the manga and obviously have the cards they wanted to sell at the time (the card game itself got rebooted, which YGO never will beyond the soft reboot of sorts that is Rush Duels), and added some stuff but didn't actually change anything.

The main difference there was that the Vanguard manga was always terrible, and the reboot only got good when it stopped following it and started doing its own thing. The YGO manga is actually better than the anime in several things so an anime that follows the manga better would be enjoyable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well technically the Toei produced “Season Zero” was a lot closer to the manga than Duel Monsters was. It only covered a small part of it though and if I recall correctly even that wound up changing and/or toning a few things down a bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I never thought about until it was pointed out to me is the reason why Slifer Red is the worst dorm (apparently infested with cockroaches, no clean sheets and barely any edible food) at Duel Academy while Obelisk Blue is the top dorm with fancy parties and populated by the elite ofthe selite is because Kaiba founded the thing and Slifer was Yugi's God while his was Obelisk.

It's very obvious in retrospect and also very Kaiba to be that petty.

EDIT:

Apparently this was dub addition, much like the dueling monkey being named Wheeler was also added in the dub.

The dub rules.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 4, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just caught up on SEVENS after falling behind a couple episodes, and jesus loving christ I hate everything that Mimi Atachi represents, and probably not in the way the show intended. That character should not exist.

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I never thought about until it was pointed out to me is the reason why Slifer Red is the worst dorm (apparently infested with cockroaches, no clean sheets and barely any edible food) at Duel Academy while Obelisk Blue is the top dorm with fancy parties and populated by the elite ofthe selite is because Kaiba founded the thing and Slifer was Yugi's God while his was Obelisk.

It's very obvious in retrospect and also very Kaiba to be that petty.

EDIT:

Apparently this was dub addition, much like the dueling monkey being named Wheeler was also added in the dub.

The dub rules.

I mean, it's still named after Yugi's god card, they just changed it from Osiris to Slifer, same as the original anime did. That name change (and especially the fact that it was never reverted) will never not piss me off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm not sure what's the funnier version of that. Either Seto is so petty he made Osiris Red the worst dorm, or Mokuba loves his older brother enough to do it in his stead. Depending on how you feel about the Dark Side of Dimensions Movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think Yugioh gets enough credit for being bold and taking risks. In a franchise like this they could have just churned out whatever garbage they wanted to sell cards and left it at that but when you look at GX and 5Ds you see they really were going out on a limb. Those two series are not only vastly different from the original, they're total opposites of one another. GX was playing off how absurd the entire franchise premise is while 5Ds took everything painfully straight. GX ramped up the absurdity while 5Ds ramped up the seriousness. They made a dark cyberpunk future where you get off committing crimes while riding a motorcycle and playing a card games - and it worked. Even if it didn't, even if you hate GX or 5Ds, I applaud their daring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there a new SEVENS this week?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t believe people are making GBS threads on GX season 3 the best Yu gi oh season

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was there a new SEVENS this week?

Yeah, episode 9 aired this week according to YGO wiki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, episode 9 aired this week according to YGO wiki.

Ah ok, I hadn't seen a sub for it yet so I was just curious.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Subs have been slow lately, the dedicated group dropped off during the hiatus and are being done by one guy who's understandably reluctant to keep going because it's supposed to be temporary until a larger group picks it back up, and no-one is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Subs have been slow lately, the dedicated group dropped off during the hiatus and are being done by one guy who's understandably reluctant to keep going because it's supposed to be temporary until a larger group picks it back up, and no-one is.

That sucks, hope it doesn't get dropped (or if so at least gets picked up by someone else) as this has been a really good season so far.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love GX, I love the risks it's taking, and even if it isn't very focused I love just how strange it gets. I just also think that, as an unfortunate side effect, the show doesn't really feel like it properly builds on itself. Even the Virtual World and DOMA arcs, one of which is an entire season of filler and the other of which literally happens in the middle of another arc, feel more cohesive than any part of GX does with any other part of GX.

Season 3 has been one of my favorite parts of GX, though, and if anything I'd have made the third part of it longer so it didn't feel so rushed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think Yugioh gets enough credit for being bold and taking risks. In a franchise like this they could have just churned out whatever garbage they wanted to sell cards and left it at that but when you look at GX and 5Ds you see they really were going out on a limb. Those two series are not only vastly different from the original, they're total opposites of one another. GX was playing off how absurd the entire franchise premise is while 5Ds took everything painfully straight. GX ramped up the absurdity while 5Ds ramped up the seriousness. They made a dark cyberpunk future where you get off committing crimes while riding a motorcycle and playing a card games - and it worked. Even if it didn't, even if you hate GX or 5Ds, I applaud their daring.

Honestly, 5D's got so much poo poo when it was announced, at least from us irony poisoned Westerners, about how ridiculous "card games on motorcycles" sounded and then they played it straight as a loving arrow and not only was it a surprisingly meaningful series about classism and prejudice and trauma with well-realized, sympathetic characters, the card games on motorcycles were loving awesome and added a dynamic element to the action that the series is still chasing after to try and duplicate (sometimes outright duplicating it, like year 2 of Arc-V). Those first 64 episodes are something special.

Also, GX deserves a lot of points just for how completely insane Yubel is as an antagonist and how well it worked despite that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MJeff posted:

Honestly, 5D's got so much poo poo when it was announced, at least from us irony poisoned Westerners, about how ridiculous "card games on motorcycles" sounded and then they played it straight as a loving arrow and not only was it a surprisingly meaningful series about classism and prejudice and trauma with well-realized, sympathetic characters, the card games on motorcycles were loving awesome and added a dynamic element to the action that the series is still chasing after to try and duplicate (sometimes outright duplicating it, like year 2 of Arc-V). Those first 64 episodes are something special.

Also, GX deserves a lot of points just for how completely insane Yubel is as an antagonist and how well it worked despite that.

5D's is where the franchise realized its actual strength was to play the melodrama as straight faced as possible and it's so loving strong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even in the bad half of 5Ds, the big dramatic moments are good as hell. Clear Mind might be the hypest moment in the franchise.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

Even in the bad half of 5Ds, the big dramatic moments are good as hell. Clear Mind might be the hypest moment in the franchise.

There's something extremely powerful about Yusei failing to do Clear Mind because Placido hits his hardest trauma button (his guilt over his father's involvement in Zero Reverse), but Yusei remembers his bonds with his friends and that gives him the clarity to finally achieve Clear Mind.

Part 2 by and large sucks, but it has its moments.

God, there was so much potential to give Yusei a real arc about his guilt over Zero Reverse and Yliaster causing it and his stuff with his dad and everything....and they touch on it maybe twice over the course of 90 episodes? And the rest of the time Yusei is no-personality Kizuna Speech Jesus. :sigh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
5ds is the strongest plotting Yu gi oh has had. Though for all the talk about fun one offs most yu gi oh fans hate that.

It’s the main complaint about early GX

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

early GX was nothing but one-off filler episodes, at some point the audience does want an actual story to show up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I remember clocking out on the anime right around the time the actual plot arc with the Sacred Beasts was starting up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

second-half 5D's was nothing but one-off filler episodes, at some point the audience does want an actual story to show up.

:v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Vrains showed us what happens if you don't have any filler: a cast who almost never interact if it's not in life-threatening situations. Made me appreciate GX setting things up a lot more.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, ironically the filler episodes are the least of my problem with GX. They were actually what I've been finding myself missing most in Season 3! The imbalanced cast (who honestly could do well stealing some of Jaden's filler duels) and general lack of plot set-up that sting most.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The filler in season 1 of GX is fine and good, even. It shows us these characters in their normal lives and lets us get to know them and establishes the world. It's good, low stakes stuff before the first plot starts.
Season 2 on the other hand is loving brutal. That season introduced its overarcing plot very early on and then it just doesn't develop it for massive stretches of time. 5D's part 2 has the same problem.

Like, the Genex Tournament starting 30 episodes into the season and you only then finding out about the satellite and Saiou's plan to use it to do mean poo poo is so wack.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

MJeff posted:

The filler in season 1 of GX is fine and good, even. It shows us these characters in their normal lives and lets us get to know them and establishes the world. It's good, low stakes stuff before the first plot starts.
Season 2 on the other hand is loving brutal. That season introduced its overarcing plot very early on and then it just doesn't develop it for massive stretches of time. 5D's part 2 has the same problem.

Like, the Genex Tournament starting 30 episodes into the season and you only then finding out about the satellite and Saiou's plan to use it to do mean poo poo is so wack.

I think the worst part has to be Bastion being hyped up as a major antagonist, then one episode later being tabled again. Or Zane being hyped up as a major antagonist, then kinda just walking away and deciding not to be one in Season 3.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Bee posted:

I think the worst part has to be Bastion being hyped up as a major antagonist, then one episode later being tabled again. Or Zane being hyped up as a major antagonist, then kinda just walking away and deciding not to be one in Season 3.

I will stick up for Kaiser's arc 'til the day I die. I like it precisely because it isn't clean. It's messy. There's no duel where Sho or Juudai "snaps him out of it", he doesn't get a climactic duel with those guys. Something more important comes up, he gets involved and he dies. I think that's loving powerful.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

MJeff posted:

I will stick up for Kaiser's arc 'til the day I die. I like it precisely because it isn't clean. It's messy. There's no duel where Sho or Juudai "snaps him out of it", he doesn't get a climactic duel with those guys. Something more important comes up, he gets involved and he dies. I think that's loving powerful.

That's precisely what gets me. The arc is incredibly powerful, but the fact that the crew's all buddy buddy with Zane like nothing happened in Season 3 detracts from it. They should be wondering what everyone's thinking using him to summon the Rainbow Dragon. They should be absolutely baffled by his presence in the other world. There's an incredibly powerful arc here, and I want them to actually engage with it, not just act like it never happened.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean most of the filler on GX didn’t do much for the character. The only thing that did was the dorm stuff but that isn’t filler because it has a payoff.

Just much later

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In a more serious narrative, Jaden getting a warning about the Light and then proceeding to do nothing even as the villain literally moves in next door and brainwashes the entire school, including a couple of Jaden's closest friends, might be a problem. But I think it's part of GX's charm that it never takes itself very seriously. The only thing serious about GX are Zane and Aster. Jaden has a sort of aura that makes everything he touches goofy and lighthearted which is why their, Ryo's and Edo's, arcs have their darkest moments when Judai isn't around.

I like every Yugioh series I've seen but Jaden is the only main character I consider a highlight of his show. GX wouldn't be nearly as good without him and his "I just wanna play some goddamn card games why do you all keep attaching life or death situations to them."

But yeah, when it comes to Zane/Ryo, it really all is in the execution. We see his downfall in Season 2 and it's really cool. But then he returns in Season 3 and it's just like "oh hey, it's that guy who did a bunch of awful poo poo last season but nobody is gonna really acknowledge it." Same thing for Jaden since S3 is all about stripping him of that charismatic aura I just described and saying that everything S1 and 2 said is wrong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are finally out for the new episode of SEVENS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are finally out for episode 10 of SEVENS.