Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

For a moment I thought I was looking at Elite Dangerous.

Seems Star Citizen is catching up!

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Features (Gameplay)
''They also put significant time into the upcoming Alpha 3.10 patch and the ability to purchase ship paint from in-game shops''

What i want from my game play is the ability to pay for skins and then apply them in-game shops!!

wait significant time into ? that is great but did you make any progress ?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

[bartender]

Where's the last pic with him t-posing?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pixelate posted:

Quick and dirty. For covid!

Is this the repair bear?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

My favorite thing about this multi-year bartender development- even assuming it doesn't bug out and just t-pose on top of the bar it'll just be another unimpressive bog standard NPC. And the fact that the backers somehow delude themselves into thinking that the work CIG has done on a bartender NPC will apply to all the others and speed up their development while they've watched CIG to take, what 2 years to make one NPC just goes to show how broke-brained they truly are.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

3 years well spent. Buy an Idris.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Out of the loop: Whats the deal with Squadron 42 video and why its so important? posted:

quote:

I don't get it, didn't we have almost an hour of Squadron 42 gameplay, now people are pretending they have seen nothing since 2015

Here is the vertical slice and gameplay of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHAfaQh3QE

Now what do you expect to see, the same with better/different gameplay?

They won't spoil anything major so don't expect to see the final mission 3 hours long

quote:

his much Cyberpunk gameplay did you see before the recently released video?

jaxk poo poo

how much Elite Dangerous did you see, they announce an expansion for sometime end of next year with zero gameplay

....but Star Citizen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Come to think of it, what happened to all the cafeteria scene effort?

Wasn't that a big focus for years since it would also supposedly perfect the NPC AI (and pathfinding) so as to avoid awkwardly colliding with objects (or clipping through) and other NPCs and behave as naturally as possible in a crowded space?

:lol: Was it reduced to "bartender AI" stuff because they still could not get that right?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Think of all the cocktails you can make with beer, sky, jynx, and radish liquor!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I see that 830 years from now, they’ll be behind where we are now in the treatment of scoliosis. Get that bartender a back brace!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

About to shoot my targeting screen with my halo pistol joystick

Inacio posted:

bartender AI (and SSE instruction sets) will fix this

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

That's just tier 0 mining. CIG recently released a trailer for tier 0.5 mining and it actually looks fun!

Hint: they are bringing the HELLFIRE in the Pyro System!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPKk3e7r9k

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Excellent.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Love that they are just starting to work on the Vanduul.

So what were those things that started ships with sticks then about 5 years ago?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Gravity_Storm posted:

Love that they are just starting to work on the Vanduul.

So what were those things that started ships with sticks then about 5 years ago?

It was all a Serkis act.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 3, 2020

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Bootcha posted:

It was all a Serkis act.

Change the thread title and close it down. We've peaked.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Scruffpuff posted:

So in news of other theoretical games, I'm getting overwhelming vibes that Amazon's New World is going to crash and burn spectacularly. They're 15 years late to the party, have learned literally nothing from well over 100 MMO failures through the years, and are still pivoting on their core mechanics at this very late stage. It also doesn't look all that unique, although like all games it's more real than anything CIG has ever made. Does anyone have more information on that, perhaps a contradicting opinion with some interesting insight?

All you need to know is that Lethality is 100% on board. Killed in the crib by the kiss of death.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

quote:

:reddit: boredgamer isnt one to shy away from criticizing CIG, when i first found him it was almost offputting because it felt more aggressive than critical but ive come to understand his style and see what his intentions are.

tl;dr if boredgamer isnt complaining about the SQ42 video or development then its most likely not an actual problem.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
tl;dr if Gigashill isnt complaining about the scam then its most likely not an actual problem.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I heard GooGitMoney or whatever his name is is very impartial and will happily cut through the chaff to report facts. Same with JoeBlobbers.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I hope to see comparison with Cyberpunk's bartender once it releases

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bootcha posted:

It was all a Serkis act.

:drat:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AbstractNapper posted:

Come to think of it, what happened to all the cafeteria scene effort?

Wasn't that a big focus for years since it would also supposedly perfect the NPC AI (and pathfinding) so as to avoid awkwardly colliding with objects (or clipping through) and other NPCs and behave as naturally as possible in a crowded space?

:lol: Was it reduced to "bartender AI" stuff because they still could not get that right?

The monthly report had a single line item about it.

"The first iteration of the vendor behavior is also nearing completion. June saw the addition of patrons that can order a drink, bring it to a table, and then return it to the counter."

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

This video game project is a fuckin mess is what it is

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
This bartender thing gives a hollow sick feeling. There are people in this project that really do believe that the bartender is going to open up the rest of their AI and make everything start flowing.

When this poo poo gets finished and they look at the spaghetti monster it is..

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sillybones posted:

This bartender thing gives a hollow sick feeling. There are people in this project that really do believe that the bartender is going to open up the rest of their AI and make everything start flowing.

When this poo poo gets finished and they look at the spaghetti monster it is..

My prediction is that in 2022 they will add an NPC that unloads cargo, but it will use the exact same animations as the bartender. He will grab a crate like a coffee pot and pour the cargo into a container like coffee.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

It was all a Serkis act.

woah

mods do your thing!

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

He didn't mean "inside an area surrounded by asteroid belt", he meant "inside actual asteroid belt" - which is a nonsense indeed, the planet would collect all the asteroids over time.

It could happen if by coincidence there was another planet on a similar orbit, that got vaporized recently.

Somebody is whispering in my ear that this planet was once called "SQ42 Beta Q3 2020".

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyast posted:

It could happen if by coincidence there was another planet on a similar orbit, that got vaporized recently.

Somebody is whispering in my ear that this planet was once called "SQ42 Beta Q3 2020".

:five::five::five:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Why.

For every single thing that CIG posts about working on, the most pertinent question is always "Why?"

If you asked 10,000 different people what their guess is at what a space mmo in development is currently working on at the 8 year mark not a single one would respond with "bartender ai and animations".

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I think it is because :iiasb: got bartender in divorce, and :sandance: got SQ54 video.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Geburan posted:

Sometimes I make poor choices and play janky games. If you go in to SC with realistic expectations and only spend a normal amount of money for a game, is there enjoyment to be had right now? Like, if I got one of the basic starter ships, can it actually do anything?

You're better off buying something like Starsector instead, to be honest, even if that game does not let you clip through the floor.
Star Citizen these days isn't even janky fun, it's just janky dull and uninteresting.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

A visual representation of CIG:

https://i.imgur.com/7sBcGUO.mp4

A real studio (with a fraction of the budget and manpower) is the players in blue, CIG is the players in red. (also the average age of the dev team now IIRC)

Not pictured: a sweaty thumb waving his hands on the sidelines.

Is that some famous Japanese football team playing against a dozen of their school teams at once? I've never seen anything quite like it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Meanwhile, the new Battle Royale from Ubisoft is top of Twitch right now :ohdear:

Turns out a lot of Ubisoft developers actually know what 'fun' means, even if it's not a game for me in this particular instance.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumble He posted:

player draws 5th microtech land card which produces mountain dew.
taps 5 mountain dew.
summons joe blobbers.

drat i really think about this now.
the color black would be all the prominent goons/fudsters/haters

the land cards could be “something awful“, “frontier forums“, “refunds sub“, “the july blog“

and they would produce “hate“ as mana

Chris Roberts would be the blue colour, and almost half the cards would be counterspells (micromanagement, pixel alteration, scope increase etc.) aimed at preventing productivity.

Scruffpuff posted:

So in news of other theoretical games, I'm getting overwhelming vibes that Amazon's New World is going to crash and burn spectacularly. They're 15 years late to the party, have learned literally nothing from well over 100 MMO failures through the years, and are still pivoting on their core mechanics at this very late stage. It also doesn't look all that unique, although like all games it's more real than anything CIG has ever made. Does anyone have more information on that, perhaps a contradicting opinion with some interesting insight?

As I recall, Lethality was all over this one (much to the chagrin of some MMO community website who didn't like him getting invited to a closed event) so we can probably write it off.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Distances are not to real life scales. Earth is 12742 km in diameter. ArcCorp has a diameter of 2000 km in-game. Maybe even 1000 km, I don't exactly remember. Going from Crusader to Hurston is 32 million km, which is about 0.21 AU.

This is to scale;

Back in the day they used to publish the figures. After I produced this, the numbers started getting scrubbed. They’re about 1/6th scale if you work back from what they want the G to be, because I built some of them to check their simulation fidelity.

It’s one of the fun details that gives the physics engine a bit of a skew.

Why 1/6th scale if you have 64-bit precision, though. Bit of a headscratcher there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

Is that some famous Japanese football team playing against a dozen of their school teams at once? I've never seen anything quite like it.

That’s some shoddy marking by the short red team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

It was all a Serkis act.

Thread title, please :allears: