Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

Is that what you like? What if I told you they had trouble stealing one because it was anchored to a... heavy, concrete base? :wink:

unf which way do the hinges swing open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Didn't some of the real old tenements not have bathrooms in the apartments at all? I saw an old movie like that once: a family had a 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen but no bathroom, the bathroom was down the hall.
A lot of older buildings in Europe were not built with bathrooms. Some had toilets but no bath, some had neither. You took your weekly bath either in a river, at a public bathhouse or in a tub out in the yard.

A friend of mine lived in an apartment in downtown Stockholm in a house built in the late 19th century. It originally didn't have a bathroom, just a toilet. At some point someone remodeled and converted a built in closet into a shower, simply by tiling the inside of the "room".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

god drat it, could no one even bother filling the well with sand before laying the floor down?!

sand and gravel aren't expensive and pouring stuff down a hole is not something you have to hire a professional for.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

god drat it, could no one even bother filling the well with sand before laying the floor down?!

sand and gravel aren't expensive and pouring stuff down a hole is not something you have to hire a professional for.

If you fill it up that makes it harder to get your treasure out later.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
You gotta at least put some traps in the well. Spikes, a rope you pull that drops a bunch of venomous snakes.. Something. Jeez.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Collateral Damage posted:

A lot of older buildings in Europe were not built with bathrooms. Some had toilets but no bath, some had neither. You took your weekly bath either in a river, at a public bathhouse or in a tub out in the yard.

A friend of mine lived in an apartment in downtown Stockholm in a house built in the late 19th century. It originally didn't have a bathroom, just a toilet. At some point someone remodeled and converted a built in closet into a shower, simply by tiling the inside of the "room".

That explains the bathroom in the rental I stayed in when visiting Paris. It had a toilet, and a very smushed-in shower that was kind of trapezoidal and not really shaped in a way to be used by actual humans with, like...arms and stuff.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

By popular demand posted:

Yeah, not covering a well, but apparently that's the dumb DIY homeowner answer that if you can cover it and make it a future problem, do it. I removed my bathroom vanity to find a hole in the floor direct to the crawl space and at the edge of one of the foundation piers. It was a direct space for critters to get in. I also suspect that in my other bathroom the tub is over the old furnace. I've never crawled far enough to tell, but the old gas pipes are outside and the tub is raised weirdly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That explains the bathroom in the rental I stayed in when visiting Paris. It had a toilet, and a very smushed-in shower that was kind of trapezoidal and not really shaped in a way to be used by actual humans with, like...arms and stuff.
"Stockholm shower" is also a term here, where you squeeze a shower into the toilet by tiling the entire room and shower standing next to or even straddling the toilet seat. It's exactly as awkward as it sounds.

There are some variants where you have a shower mixer with a tap and the sink attached to a wall that pivots out of the way when you want to shower. The sink simply drains into the shower drain.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

That just looks like I'd be able to poo poo and shower at the same time and if that doesn't sound like a good time get outta my face.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

there wolf posted:

My dad's high school used to burn outhouses at homecoming. 1970's Dallas suburbs still had enough people with outhouses that they could make that tradition.

Ruining the lives of the obviously poor? Neat!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
The leaf in a vase really nails the luxurious spa aesthetic they were going for.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ruining the lives of the obviously poor? Neat!

Could be but I'm also going to guess that the outhouses might finally have been getting replaced by flush toilets around then. I have coworkers who have stories about their families having them until around then. Different state tho.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Kaethela posted:

That just looks like I'd be able to poo poo and shower at the same time and if that doesn't sound like a good time get outta my face.

I stayed at a hostel in Rome where they went one better.

the shower head was pointed directly at the toilet seat, right over a sink that was itself practically over the toilet, so somebody could also shave while doing the other two things.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

I stayed at a hostel in Rome where they went one better.

the shower head was pointed directly at the toilet seat, right over a sink that was itself practically over the toilet, so somebody could also shave while doing the other two things.

Add a cup-holder for beer/coffee and I'm sold.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

An internet guy I like just did a long summery of the Groverhous saga:
https://youtu.be/t7PLRddEJH0

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My sister had a house in Wales that was built in the early 1800s. The original bathroom was in the back yard. You walked out through the kitchen and there was a weird door alcove on the building that looked like it would be yard storage, but was actually a toilet. It was just one step from an outhouse, and referred to as the 'spider toilet'.

A previous owner converted the bedroom above the kitchen into a proper bathroom, but it was weirdly large- they didn't bother trying to carve out a room or redesign the whole floor. So there was a full bathroom with enough additional space for a twin bed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ashcans posted:

My sister had a house in Wales that was built in the early 1800s. The original bathroom was in the back yard. You walked out through the kitchen and there was a weird door alcove on the building that looked like it would be yard storage, but was actually a toilet. It was just one step from an outhouse, and referred to as the 'spider toilet'.

That's the forest service outhouses at the campground where my friend's family reunion is in the summers. As outhoses go, they're very nice and well maintained, but as someone with some real issues with arachnophobia, I spend a lot of time hyperfocusing on, like, a knot in the door or a rock in the corner so I don't have to think about the fact that I'm surrounded by motherfucking spiders all around me aaaaah I have go take a shower now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Terrible real estate agent photos:

https://imgur.com/gallery/QymQzbk

These are great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"Stockholm shower" is also a term here

I thought that was mostly a myth based on bad science and overgeneralizations?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ashcans posted:

A previous owner converted the bedroom above the kitchen into a proper bathroom, but it was weirdly large- they didn't bother trying to carve out a room or redesign the whole floor. So there was a full bathroom with enough additional space for a twin bed.

Or a sunken bathtub, with multihead shower and a toilet closet.
All to attract :females:.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've used cramped shower/toilets (in janky subdivided apartments) in Hong Kong and how do families store their toilet paper?! It got damp no matter where I kept it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I feel like there's a wall or two missing from this photo

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

OPEN CONCEPT.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

peanut posted:

I've used cramped shower/toilets (in janky subdivided apartments) in Hong Kong and how do families store their toilet paper?! It got damp no matter where I kept it.

Maybe you just get naked and have a shower every time you poop

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Zil posted:

I feel like there's a wall or two missing from this photo

those parts are just hidden in solidworks currently

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GreenNight posted:

I feel a migraine coming on...I can see it...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I have questions.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I feel a migraine coming on...I can see it...

It's a sailboat.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I was so distracted by the rafters I didn't even notice the whole toilet/bathroom situation for an extra three or four seconds. solid comedy timing

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

peanut posted:

You keep it in another room and take a roll in with you when you do a poo poo

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

GreenNight posted:

These are great.

i've had nightmares like this

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

These are great.
I'm the load bearing patio fridge.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Miss posted:

i've had nightmares like this

All of my nightmares are like this

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GotLag posted:

A shower head hovering over a toilet is essentially an extra large bidet. Who needs paper?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I mean, like… when my kids were 0-2 years old I gave them a quick shower after every poop because 1. wipes are abrasive 2. it's fun 3. it's effective
So, cool, I agree with that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GotLag posted:

Pack it in, pack it out

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bad Munki posted:

Pack it out, pack it in

let me begin
I came to win
battle me, that's a sin

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I know this is ignoring the elephant in the room WRT to the rafters and weird toilet situation, but what is with the metal tub? The one good bit is the stained glass, and it's wasted as part of the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Renaissance Robot posted:

A shower head hovering over a toilet is essentially an extra large bidet. Who needs paper?

A civilised person would be using a bidet but peanut specifically complained about toilet paper getting wet.