Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

For a moment there, I thought the "in bed" bit was part of the book's title and felt that was super mean.

oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

Bright Bart posted:

Are the Tom Clancy novels this bad?

In your heart, you already know the answer to this question.

3D Megadoodoo

I've never read Clancy but I have a soft spot for Robert Ludlum for some reason. And Dick Francis because he always puts horses in the story in one way or another.

cda

by Hand Knit

xcheopis posted:

For a moment there, I thought the "in bed" bit was part of the book's title and felt that was super mean.

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never read Clancy but I have a soft spot for Robert Ludlum for some reason. And Dick Francis because he always puts horses in the story in one way or another.

Thats' his thing. Dick Francis is the Horse Guy. I know this fromb ack when I worked a library, you see a horse on the cover, its probably dick francis

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

but also :lol: if you're never had a heroic failure in bed

like this one time i

3D Megadoodoo

Francis also kept his novels (at least the ones I've read) to a reasonable length. I hate the MUST BE 40 CM TALL AND 700 PAGES thing that's been going on with thrillers/whatever for the past 30 years or so. Francis, Desmond Bagley, Greene, that other Innes they knew what was what. Even Alistair McLean.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I've been reading the Hobbit to my children and doing all the voices.

cda

by Hand Knit

RickRogers posted:

Cool, my dad doing that for me is hands down one of my favorite childhood memories

Prof. Crocodile

RickRogers posted:

A+ dadding

take the moon

by sebmojo
reading the wastelands by Stephen monarch and moving to mote Nakamura after. Finished bleeding edge lol

----------------

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never really read much science fiction except for authors like Margaret Atwood and a little Philip K Dick. However I just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin and now my mind is absolutely blown that she wasn't in my life before age 30 loving 6

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

oliwan posted:

I've never really read much science fiction except for authors like Margaret Atwood and a little Philip K Dick. However I just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin and now my mind is absolutely blown that she wasn't in my life before age 30 loving 6

I read "The moon is a harsh mistress", age 15 and it kind of turned me of sci-fi books for life.
What has turned you on to Le Guin's work if I might ask?

Oh and for myself, I read a double bill of the shining/Dr. Sleep most recently.

:shrug:

cda

by Hand Knit

oliwan posted:

Oh wow... Read The Left Hand of Darkness immediately

beer pal

she rules

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

She does rule!

I'm reading The Fall of Hyperion because I read the first one a while back and how come no one turned me on to Dan Simmons before I was 33?

xcheopis

Aubergine Mage posted:

She does rule!

I'm reading The Fall of Hyperion because I read the first one a while back and how come no one turned me on to Dan Simmons before I was 33?

Probably because he is a horrible little man.

free hubcaps

yea hyperion is one of my favorite books but Simmons is an irl shitbag

ty Saoshyant!

cda

by Hand Knit
its got a lot of weird sex in it

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

Oh wow... Read The Left Hand of Darkness immediately

The Left Hand of Darkness is easily in my top-3 space novels. But then I've read like five so

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Left Hand of Darkness is easily in my top-3 space novels. But then I've read like five so

I've read hundreds and it's still in my top 3

beer pal

im reading catch 22 and not enjoying it all that much

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

free hubcaps posted:

yea hyperion is one of my favorite books but Simmons is an irl shitbag

Wait really? I heard that about Piers Anthony but not Simmons

JNCO BILOBA

Just bought The Death of Truth by Michiko Kakutani, and am wrapping up Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber. Shiz was hecked up.

nut

beer pal posted:

read it when I was like 12 and thought it was awesome but I also loved MASH and I don’t think I could enjoy either nowadays

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

I've read hundreds and it's still in my top 3

I've been getting more into them, or at least trying. I read Foundation maybe last year and liked it, and started on Hyperion a short time ago but I think I must've left it somewhere because I can't find it :( I did read a translation of Dune as a teen-ager but can't say it made a big impression.

Sitting Here
A good book i've been trying to get someone/anyone to read is Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by john Crowley because it's about crows and crows are good

Once a week i eat like 40mg of thc and read a bit of Ulysses, with the audiobook version playing along while i read so i don't feel tempted to look at my phone or whatever. But man when i'm stoned enough it's like i'm actually in 1904 ireland trying to catch a glance of a lady's stocking thinking about how history is a nightmare from which im trying to wake

oliwan posted:

this was the first title by her I read and had a similar reaction

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

it's not very good and it goes on and on and on long after you get the point

----------------

xcheopis

beer pal posted:

I've tried reading it a few times and just didn't care about any of it. Same for Confederacy of Dunces; boring waste of my time.

cda

by Hand Knit

xcheopis posted:

I've tried reading it a few times and just didn't care about any of it. Same for Confederacy of Dunces; boring waste of my time.

xcheopis

:shrug:

cda

by Hand Knit

It's ok, people are different and humour is highly subjective it's just weird because you're a good poster and I enjoy your posts so it's weird to see you say that about the book that I think is the funniest book that has ever been written by a wide margin

xcheopis

cda posted:

It's ok, people are different and humour is highly subjective it's just weird because you're a good poster and I enjoy your posts so it's weird to see you say that about the book that I think is the funniest book that has ever been written by a wide margin
That's kind of you to say!

By the time it was published, I was already wholeheartedly tired of reading about men and their sex lives. Obviously not the entirety of the book but it was annoying to read anyway, so I've never read more than a few chapters. I had the same reaction to World According To Garp, which I also never finished.

nut

confederacy of dunces was my favourite book for a very long time but I could completely understand someone finding it tedious and, although it is wildly funny to me, it is not a broad appeal funny by any means

beer pal

i stopped reading catch 22 for now and instead im reading if on a winter's night a traveler by italo calvino which so far im finding very fun and good

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

i stopped reading catch 22 for now and instead im reading if on a winter's night a traveler by italo calvino which so far im finding very fun and good

Yeah that's a good one

nut

cda posted:

Yeah that's a good one

oh hell ya

nut

I’ve been reading Poisoner in Chief which is definitively not byob but I’m in too deep

xcheopis

I've been switching between William H. Hodgson and P.G. Wodehouse stories.

So many people go on about the Jeeves stories but I prefer the Emsworth/Ickenham books and his short stories. The Mr. Mulliner and the golf stories are my favourites.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
Hyperion was dank but time travel grooming was lame lol

----------------