Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Papa scorch owns bones :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It took me a while to realise that the thermal shield kit not only extends the duration of it but also the damage. I pretty much always used it to melt everyone but I was somehow too stupid to see 'AND DAMAGE' on the text. Why would you use anything else?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thermal shield deffo owns but it annoys me that Scorch can be executed during his core or when thermal shield is up.
Also, being immune to his own fuego should be an inherent ability instead of a chip choice

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It took me a while to realise that the thermal shield kit not only extends the duration of it but also the damage. I pretty much always used it to melt everyone but I was somehow too stupid to see 'AND DAMAGE' on the text. Why would you use anything else?

When the game first launched Thermal Shield was the go to because it doubled the duration.

There was subsequent patches that increased the base shield duration while decreasing the thermal kit effect. This lead to a situation where thermal kit still gave 200% the pre patch base duration, but the post patch base duration is now like 150%

They also buffed the other kits so they're more competitive. Wildfire launcher does a lot of damage whole peaking and the thermal plating let's you be much more agro and saves tons of damage.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

FastestGunAlive posted:

Also, being immune to his own fuego should be an inherent ability instead of a chip choice

Or at least tone the damage down a bit, it does a poo poo ton.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scorch can melt himself? That's really loving stupid.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I like how everything feels consistent to where you can kill yourself with a grenade or burn yourself as scorch or whatever.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Stan Taylor posted:

I like how everything feels consistent to where you can kill yourself with a grenade or burn yourself as scorch or whatever.

:hmmyes:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stan Taylor posted:

Scorch is all about area denial, so him denying himself is just lol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's quite dumb

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If he could walk through it all without taking damage he would be incredibly overpowered instead of just very overpowered. In the right hands he's very much a threat unless right out in the open. Played well he is insanely good.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any weapons worth using/trying other than the CAR or R201? Not necessarily looking at tryhard mode "best" weapons (otherwise I would just keep using those two) but just fun ones that are at least competitive and keep up with those two. I'm ready to switch it up and start leveling up some other guns but aren't proficient enough to keep up with a lot of these high-level players so can't really test new guns (I really wanted to try some of the grenadier ones) on account of spending the entire matches dead.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 1, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nearly every gun is fun and viable in some way but (at least last time I played) there's nothing to really match the 201 and CAR for pure efficiency.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’d recommend the volt and flatline. For grenadier start with the SMR, it’s the most conventional of them

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Double postin

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

using the car is bm

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Car kicks rear end

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PageMaster posted:

Are there any weapons worth using/trying other than the CAR or R201? Not necessarily looking at tryhard mode "best" weapons (otherwise I would just keep using those two) but just fun ones that are at least competitive and keep up with those two. I'm ready to switch it up and start leveling up some other guns but aren't proficient enough to keep up with a lot of these high-level players so can't really test new guns (I really wanted to try some of the grenadier ones) on account of spending the entire matches dead.

All the guns are good; R201 and CAR see the most use because they're the most forgiving to use.

If you want to just pick something "off meta" and learn to use it well, might I suggest Frontier Defense?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PageMaster posted:

Pick up a kraber or EPG and go for the oneshot kills OP, they're fun
Mozambique also feels really strong to me. It's a "shotgun", but the range for a two-shot kill is extremely long compared to the other shotguns, and the firerate is high.
L-STAR is like a more short-ranged SMG. The travel time on the shots means you'll probably lose to CARs in long-range shootouts but it has a huge amount of ammo and is pinpoint accurate when shooting from the hip so you can just spray everywhere and never stop moving.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Use the Cold War and kill two people at once, the enemy and yourself

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

The Alternator slaps. The hip fire range is almost comical. Never ADS with it and keep moving.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If he could walk through it all without taking damage he would be incredibly overpowered instead of just very overpowered. In the right hands he's very much a threat unless right out in the open. Played well he is insanely good.

Well he should be incredibly over powered and should be able to easily close the gap since distance is his downfall. He's a huge hulking behemoth of a thing, but he doesn't feel like one when I fight him in the field. Most maps have huge, long areas that benefit the ranged titan weapons, he should for drat sure be barreling down them setting the whole map ablaze like a mechanical hellbeast.

For Titanfall 3, do you think they'll come up with all new Titans like they did for 2? I missed not having Atlas in 2 but got over it since the new ones own and are analogous, but drat I'll miss the ones in 2 if we don't see them again. :smith:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Personally I think they screwed titans between 1 and 2 up by limiting gun/titan combos. More free form titan customization like 1 with just more options would be more interesting for variety. There's no real reason to hard class different titans with roles except to streamline them for people who didn't want to mess with them in 1.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sigher posted:

Well he should be incredibly over powered and should be able to easily close the gap since distance is his downfall. He's a huge hulking behemoth of a thing, but he doesn't feel like one when I fight him in the field. Most maps have huge, long areas that benefit the ranged titan weapons, he should for drat sure be barreling down them setting the whole map ablaze like a mechanical hellbeast.

For Titanfall 3, do you think they'll come up with all new Titans like they did for 2? I missed not having Atlas in 2 but got over it since the new ones own and are analogous, but drat I'll miss the ones in 2 if we don't see them again. :smith:

Scorch is a CQC/area denial Titan. He's big and slow and fat and most dangerous when you round a corner into his thermal shield/gas trap.

If you want a CQC Titan that closes distance easily, might I suggest Ronin?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

What I like about Titans having locked weapons and abilities is that whenever I see a Titan I more or less would know how to deal with it having an idea of their strength and weaknesses again the Titan I’m using. I do remember being disappointed when they first announced the changes from TF1 for Titan load louts but I mean, having played this for 4 years it makes a lot of sense and I can see why they did it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

sigher posted:

Someone who was here from the start, remind me if pre-patch Scorch and Legion got the option of a second dash rather than the later quicker cooldown if selecting it as an option. I want to say he did.

Wazzit posted:

What I like about Titans having locked weapons and abilities is that whenever I see a Titan I more or less would know how to deal with it having an idea of their strength and weaknesses again the Titan I’m using. I do remember being disappointed when they first announced the changes from TF1 for Titan load louts but I mean, having played this for 4 years it makes a lot of sense and I can see why they did it.

Yeah the silhouettes are distinct enough that you know what you're getting but the bunch of options for each titan means you don't quite know exactly what you're getting which can lead to a few moments of "oh gently caress" when you realise the Ronin that has just annihilated your team mate has Highlander and is barreling towards you at high speed...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Someone who was here from the start, remind me if pre-patch Scorch and Legion got the option of a second dash rather than the later quicker cooldown if selecting it as an option. I want to say he did.

Lol, launch heavy Titans had no dash, and had to take the chip to just have one normal one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

That single dash for Scorch helped me melt SO MANY TITANS

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dragonshardz posted:

Scorch is a CQC/area denial Titan. He's big and slow and fat and most dangerous when you round a corner into his thermal shield/gas trap.

If you want a CQC Titan that closes distance easily, might I suggest Ronin?

Ronin is boring. :colbert:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

My main weapon for both Titanfall games is the EVA-8, running Cloak (with a brief stint w/ Phase Shift after Cloak got nerfed, then I went back cause Cloak rules). Good movement allows easily getting in and out of closed spaces quickly, which means you can get any shmuck to follow you through a doorway and slap 'em in the face with every pellet.

There's a few maps I'll use the CAR on though, if interior spaces are too far apart.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

sigher posted:

So goddamn wrong

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sigher posted:

My dude/ette, you've clearly never played Ronin.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

sigher posted:

If dashing into a group of giant robits with an electrified sword while my onboard AI calmly suggests I use sword block to reduce damage as I hack them all apart and then get owned by an Ion Eye Laser I forgot about is boring, then I extremely am living my life the wrong way. :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wazzit posted:

Mitigating this somewhat was the fact that there were very clear “best choices” for most slots. You almost never saw anyone run any tactical except cluster missile, you almost never saw anyone run anything except electric smoke, you almost never saw anyone run anything except 40mm cannon except maaaybe triple threat or plasma railgun or rocket launcher occasionally. Can’t be surprised by an enemy loadout if everyone is running the same poo poo /taps forehead.

(triple threat is bae, but does leave you really exposed outside midrange. Completely fucks poo poo up inside its range though, huge damage and good area denial for loving up pilots trying to play games with you.)

What TF1 really needed was a balance pass on its weapons because some of them were just obvious winners and the rest of the options couldn’t compete.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2020

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How do I get the game to launch in borderless window mode?

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Open Origin (even if you're using the Steam version you need to do it with the Steam version of the game in origin), right click it and goto Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options. Put
code:
-novid -windowed -noborder
in the command line args bit.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I bought TF2 on Steam and... linked it to the wrong loving Origin account. I have two, one's old and has a dumb name and nothing else on it, and that's the account I somehow managed to link it to. Getting TF2 refunded through Steam and then reinstalling it didn't seem to help. I'm trying to slice through EA's support options but the only ones they seem to have are phone and, sometimes, chat? But never both for the same issue? I just need the license transferred from one account to another. It looks luke transferring purchases between accounts but the only option they give me is phone support which is available... from 3am to 6pm in my part of the US? What the gently caress, EA? Does anyone know a way to bludgeon EA's support options into letting me just send an email?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
holy poo poo 10k people are playing titanfall 2 right now on steam, thats more than even on ps4 when it was FREE

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I maintain scorch is the best Titan. Also it's super funny on console when you run into people who clearly don't remember what a loving threat a good scorch player is and just get TORCHED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This thread’s gimmick of constantly calling Scorch good is pretty funny.