Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Yeah, that name isn't changing. If anything, they will double down. Just look at that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nah they are going to change it. Nike calls the shots.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Washington Washington's :10bux:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally, one less reason to hate the Washington team.

Though there's still thousands of other reasons.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably letting them end it for old times sake

Petition to name them the Washington Custers then

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

oh god, I just figured it out

Washington Redtails

gets rid of the racist native american stuff
pro-military
pro-black

lol

fartknocker posted:

I seem to recall the name Red Tails was also popular on the internet for similar reasons but I think that came and went with that mediocre movie a while back.

I mean, I’d be cool with a P-51 killing Nazis on the side of an NFL helmet.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I agree they’re finally going to change the name, but I don’t think this review panel, by itself, is the smoking gun Schefter claims. It doesn’t sound too different from past lip service where the org will say something like “After careful consideration we’ve decided people love our name and we’re keeping it!” I’m sure he’s basing it on firmer info he can’t report on though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fartknocker posted:

I mean, I’d be cool with a P-51 killing Nazis on the side of an NFL helmet.

yeah I just did some searches and realized people have been pro-Redtails for a while!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the washington knicks

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1279076667198242818

I think it's almost certain they'll change it. If they weren't going to do it, they would have just kept their heads down and not engaged and it'll be out of the news for another couple of years after the President gets his head stuck a bucket for a couple of hours, and they could have smoothed things over with their sponsors quietly. If they turn back now they're going to get hosed.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1279076667198242818

I think it's almost certain they'll change it. If they weren't going to do it, they would have just kept their heads down and not engaged and it'll be out of the news for another couple of years after the President gets his head stuck a bucket for a couple of hours, and they could have smoothed things over with their sponsors quietly. If they turn back now they're going to get hosed.

They are going to change the name, and it will be military related. Guaranteed. Hell, it wouldn’t be the first time Native American symbolism was supplanted by military-backed “progressivism”.

Corn Burst fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 3, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The Washington Generals.

Get rid of the Basketball team. They aren't even a real team anyway.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

introducing your rebranded Washington [A Picture Of Dan Snyder's Dick]s!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

The Washington Generals.

Both laughing at the thought of anyone naming themselves the Washington Generals given...well the Washington Generals and also thinking it's completely appropriate for the Dan Snyder owned Skins.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

Both laughing at the thought of anyone naming themselves the Washington Generals given...well the Washington Generals and also thinking it's completely appropriate for the Dan Snyder owned Skins.

He does it as a tribute to the New Jersey Generals go appeal to :sad:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Washington Trumps

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Washington Football Team Who Can't Throw Good And Who Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Washington Capitols

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Washington Warblers of Rock Creek Park.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

300 million dollar mckinsey led review to find another native american fine with the current dc football team's name.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Washington Headhunters

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Washington Lincolns

Go full presidential on it.

Washington Confederates

For maximum carnage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Washington Trumps

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

“To honor Americans of all races and creeds, seek unity, and to preserve the team’s heritage and historic Native American ties we are changing our team’s name to the Washington Americans.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Washington Indians but the India Indians.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Washington Chiefs

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I say they go the Madonna/Cher route and just call the team "Washington", and all the imagery can follow this direction:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Washington Redheads aka The Ginger Dingers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Washington Marshals

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Washington Headhunters

Im the name tags coming up after they both die.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Redtails is absolutely perfect. HTTR.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Washington SuperSonics

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/PFF_Moo/status/1279052776882999296

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Corn Burst posted:

They are going to change the name, and it will be military related. Guaranteed. Hell, it wouldn’t be the first time Native American symbolism was supplanted by military-backed “progressivism”.

I get this feeling as well. I have zero investment in what they pick in terms of the team, but as far as ideas that appeal to me, I'd use the opportunity to go with something different than most other teams.

Meaning, not just "noun + s"; Washington Battalion, Washington Armory, Washington Legion. Phalanx was the first one I thought of, but probably not as good.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Can't wait for Trump to stick his nose into this. I wonder if Fox has reported it yet

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
"This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field."

Strange that they're not taking into account any Indigenous leadership. Oh, right.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FakePoet posted:

I get this feeling as well. I have zero investment in what they pick in terms of the team, but as far as ideas that appeal to me, I'd use the opportunity to go with something different than most other teams.

Meaning, not just "noun + s"; Washington Battalion, Washington Armory, Washington Legion. Phalanx was the first one I thought of, but probably not as good.

Washington Redcoats is pretty different!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Better Than You posted:

Washington SuperSonics

This post is violence

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Better Than You posted:

Washington SuperSonics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Better Than You posted:

Washington SuperSonics

:laugh: