Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

How do you even level up your company? That's a whole mechanic I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Doing sidequests in Shooter Street seems to be the main way? I'm not sure it even DOES anything besides (again, supposedly) locking you out of plot progress later on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, I beat the game without ever A) grinding, B) crafting, or C) visiting Shooter Street.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Clarste posted:

For the record, I beat the game without ever A) grinding, B) crafting, or C) visiting Shooter Street.

Yeah, seems like I was putting too much weight on the recommended levels for the story missions and making sure everyone met them. Although I guess that makes it even more perplexing why they need this extra stuff to even be there. I think I'm just going to put it down. I get the feeling there's no pay off to be had here to make enduring through the tedium worth it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the payoff is making your characters real dang strong. if that doesn't appeal to you then the dumb story isn't going to change your mind.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So I finally unlocked the ability to make robots. Do I want to make one of the starter-level robots? The character came with a bunch of starter-parts but I'm not sure how valuable they are or where I can get more? Or if one of the six starter-robot-types is better than the others?

If a beast/pet or a robot dies in combat, are they gone forever?

Am I correct that pets and robots do *not* take a player slot, so I can still have 8 people in the field plus 2 summons?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

You can indeed use them to add to your party in the battle.

I never figured out a way to have a summoned robot make any significant difference in the battle. They have a ton of hit points but I couldn't figure out a way to keep them from absorbing damage constantly, their utility value was minimal, and they put out very little damage. By the end of the game i was only able to craft four total robot masteries, so their "skill" list was almost blank. It seemed like a really empty mechanic but maybe I missed a lot. (stealing robots on the other hand always ruled)

Summoned monsters were useful, but I had trouble keeping them alive through the mission.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks! If they die, are they gone forever or you just summon them again next battle?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Their morale goes down by five (I have no idea what that does) but they are still available next battle. Robots need to be fixed but it's very low cost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A robot is always an extra thing that enemies hit, they're immune to fire, and the flamethrower is really good dps.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Best Friends posted:

You can indeed use them to add to your party in the battle.

I never figured out a way to have a summoned robot make any significant difference in the battle. They have a ton of hit points but I couldn't figure out a way to keep them from absorbing damage constantly, their utility value was minimal, and they put out very little damage. By the end of the game i was only able to craft four total robot masteries, so their "skill" list was almost blank. It seemed like a really empty mechanic but maybe I missed a lot. (stealing robots on the other hand always ruled)

Summoned monsters were useful, but I had trouble keeping them alive through the mission.

The only real way to get the robot masteries are to complete the info for the enemy robots. After that though you need to have gotten a handle on crafting to actually make the masteries, which is a real pain. I'm not really sure why only those don't drop from enemies.

They're only really useful I think as big bags of HP and armor. But they get the most of those in the game so they can be ungodly tanks. I don't think I would have finished the last mission without my drone soaking up some key hits instead of my actual characters. I tried setting it up to reactive fire a ton to protect Kylie but its accuracy sucks too so it didn't really pay off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main way to get robot masteries is to max the troubleshooter entry of robots. then you can make some of the bottom tier ones from materials, and move up from there. fuuuuuck mastering that first bicron that only appears in the warehouse search mission and counts as a unique type, though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Okay, thanks for the info and encouragement! I got myself a cool fire frog and a flamethrower robot. :cool:

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Robots can become overpowered, but it's some work to get there. For the best build, you need to farm the unique, very hard to kill robots in one map, and level several different robots to max level. Once I had three of those robots finished, I stopped using Kylie at all because things are just to easy, even when farming VC 46 magenta street on the hardest difficulty.

Eventually, you get a support skill (module) where they don't take any damage at all if the damage is less then 10% of the total hitpoints. Since you can get the hitpoints to 5500 or so and have good armor. they dont take damage at all anymore except from very special attacks.

On the offensive, their attacks may be weak, but they can do a lot of them. The trick is in the auto-assist, auto-defend etc. abilities, where they take many attacks outside of their normal rounds.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That's a very helpful summary, thanks!

People talk about a lot of grinding at the end of the game. Is it necessary to see whatever's the current end of the story, or just optional challenge content? Is the current end actually complete or will I just abruptly hit a "stay tuned for the next patch" screen? Now that the end is in sight I realize I'm not sure what exactly it looks like. I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit but I'm not going to grind another 20h or so if it's really just grinding content provided for people who like grinding.

Is VC Magenta 46 the end or why is that one particularly significant?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you play on normal, you should be fine just doing all the missions once (including the previous ones that are now considered new if you look at the mission list). The last mission is hard though, the game doesn't let up unlike Xcom's endgame.

Troubleshooter, as stated on the store page, is the first episode. This is akin to FF7 remake or like Trails of Cold Steel, episodic gaming, though they are patching in additional story at some point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there any reason at all to play Troubleshooter online? It just seems super slow to load and do anything and I'm wondering if I should start over offline.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not really, no. And being offline makes you immune to their server maintenance.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tae posted:

Not really, no. And being offline makes you immune to their server maintenance.

Yeah. If I wasn't 20 levels in, I wouldn't bother with the online. Do you still get access to Shooter Street for the merchants? I'd imagine so and, if so, there's literally no reason to be online at the moment. Maybe they'll patch some in and I'll be glad for it. Thankfully, running it off an SSD does seem to make the load times bearable at least...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've been playing offline all along but I really thought I remembered reading that you could transfer/download from online->offline (but not the opposite)?
If you feel like you are suffering online and wish you had done offline, make sure you're not missing an option to (permanently) switch?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lakitu7 posted:

I've been playing offline all along but I really thought I remembered reading that you could transfer/download from online->offline (but not the opposite)?
If you feel like you are suffering online and wish you had done offline, make sure you're not missing an option to (permanently) switch?

Yes! Thank you for pointing that out. You can download your save and play offline.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently the drop rate increase pops up more often if you are online. considering that all of the multiplayer features never have and likely never will be added, that's pretty much it. oh, and apparently they recently lost a bunch of data for the asia server, removing all progress made on online saves over several days. in a single player game.

lmao

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
At least they gave every account on that server (Asia) a ton of free in-game currency/items/levels to try to compensate :lol:.

Yeah, I have not at all regretted staying offline, and the load times were noticeably better when I moved the game to my SSD.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently the drop rate increase pops up more often if you are online. considering that all of the multiplayer features never have and likely never will be added, that's pretty much it. oh, and apparently they recently lost a bunch of data for the asia server, removing all progress made on online saves over several days. in a single player game.

lmao

Honestly I kind of wish I was in the Asian server because I didn't play during those days and their apology gift was huge.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’ve never seen a company devote so much of its output to really earnest apologies. Other than the current data loss, usually about the sorts of things that generally don’t even rate a “We apologize for the delay,” if they’re mentioned at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I really liked the apology where they noted that their game was super popular in Russia or something and it turned out it was because they screwed up and accidentally made it super cheap in that version of the Steam store so they compared it to the price of XCOM Chimera Squad in order to make the appropriate adjustment. Like, that whole thing was a level of blunt honesty I don't think I've ever seen from a game company before.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Frankly, pricing on par with Chimera Squad is a bit too modest.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, them being profoundly sorry for not delivering a new patch/content every week is kind of cute.

Re: Chimera Squad comparative pricing, I definitely got way more play per buck from TS:AC than I did from XC:CS (which I enjoyed, but has to be the easiest tactics game I've played in recent memory after its first third), but I can't deny that CS has better production values, even if a lot of their assets came in second hand from XCOM 2. Whatever Firaxis team did it had way more resources and personnel than this thread's game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Whatever Firaxis team did it had way more resources and personnel than this thread's game.

Just the effort of reading every review on Steam and responding is probably eating up 15% of their time. I love the earnestness of those responses and hope they succeed hugely.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This seems interesting so far but god the translation is killing me, I want to submit edits.

CommunityEdition posted:

I’ve never seen a company devote so much of its output to really earnest apologies. Other than the current data loss, usually about the sorts of things that generally don’t even rate a “We apologize for the delay,” if they’re mentioned at all.

Considering from what I've heard and seen so far the game is actually alright, it's kind of nice that they seem really genuine to wanting to make it as good as possible/

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

This seems interesting so far but god the translation is killing me, I want to submit edits.

Considering from what I've heard and seen so far the game is actually alright, it's kind of nice that they seem really genuine to wanting to make it as good as possible/

Oh it’s more than alright. And to submit edits, just join their discord. https://discord.gg/NFWGg4. There’s a spreadsheet in the translation channel that suggestions go through.

Target nuetralized.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommunityEdition posted:

Oh it’s more than alright. And to submit edits, just join their discord. https://discord.gg/NFWGg4. There’s a spreadsheet in the translation channel that suggestions go through.

Target nuetralized.

The discord link is https://discord.gg/NFWGg4 with no trailing '.', if others are having trouble with it.

I just started, and I have a quest to go meet Roberto in Wind Wall. I'm not sure how to launch the quest, since it doesn't appear on the Mission Control map, and I can't see a way to just wander around Wind Wall. Should I just keep going through the story scenarios for now, or am I missing something?

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

The discord link is https://discord.gg/NFWGg4 with no trailing '.', if others are having trouble with it.

I just started, and I have a quest to go meet Roberto in Wind Wall. I'm not sure how to launch the quest, since it doesn't appear on the Mission Control map, and I can't see a way to just wander around Wind Wall. Should I just keep going through the story scenarios for now, or am I missing something?

You'll get an option in the bottom right to move to where he is as you progress through the story.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Dang, I wish I knew about the discord translation-suggestions page earlier; I'm almost done with the game now.

For "Meet Roberto in Wind Wall" you can't do it until you unlock "Shooter Street". Once you unlock that, you can go there and walk around and find him.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Some good news. Apparently the game has had a long enough tail that they're good to work on it until the end of the year and they're expanding the epilogue missions to a full chapter with eight missions that will be released as a set at the end of September, online community features pending completion of that, suffering a lot by trying to add controller support to the game. Also some new sets and mastery tweaks this week, plus the constant translation work. At least four apologies.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ZearothK posted:

Some good news. Apparently the game has had a long enough tail that they're good to work on it until the end of the year and they're expanding the epilogue missions to a full chapter with eight missions that will be released as a set at the end of September, online community features pending completion of that, suffering a lot by trying to add controller support to the game. Also some new sets and mastery tweaks this week, plus the constant translation work. At least four apologies.

It's stuff like this that make me glad I bought it and want to support them in this and all other future projects.

Yes, it's bloated with a ton of vestigial systems and some poor planning on how to integrate it all into a workable whole. Yes, the MP is laughably unnecessary. Yes, the translation is serviceable but not great.

But goddamn, these guys care and work really, really hard.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

This game is fun as hell. I’m glad the mastery points keep going up cuz it makes it so much easier to justify having shukuchi on everyone but the gunners, who have the gunman support version of shukuchi too.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm really enjoying this game. All my characters are around level 25 but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to build Irene so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the solitary fighter mastery set is a good place to start. like most strategy games, getting more turns is by far the strongest choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm around level 50 and haven't gotten Irene to be all that good. Maybe I'm doing it wrong too. You're supposed to solo her but every time I tried to do that she'd die in a few hits (just like almost anyone else) so I gave up on that and just use her like a half-tank half-mage that hangs out behind Albus but before the squishy characters. Magic Armor (mastery; battle mage) helps a lot but you won't get that until missions in your mid-late 30s. Sion ends up pretty tanky since he gets magic armor too (on battle mage), so she hangs out with Sion and gets like 1/20th the knockouts that Sion does.