Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wild theory. Does anybody think that's not actually Kat's mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Well, she is, she's just from yet another universe.

But that's not my department

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sankara posted:

Wild theory. Does anybody think that's not actually Kat's mom?

If you're suggesting that Kat has some sort of special parentage that makes her a proto-godling, I'd be disappointed. Gunnerkrigg is very human-focused for all of it's weird stuff (Coyote claiming to be made by humans, the idea that Jones isn't a counterexample but instead evidence that human belief might be retrocausal) and it's more compelling (and appropriate to the themes of the court) if Kat just bootstraps her way to Godhood.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think they were just joking but Kat secretly being the Etheric computer the Dolans built was a common theory for a while.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Kat is her own mom.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kat's entire family are all just different APIs of the same computer system backend. that computer's name? coyote

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CYBEReris posted:

kat's entire family are all just different APIs of the same computer system backend. that computer's name? coyote

cY0T.3

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is just "Kat caused her own existence" but on a smaller, easier scale.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

This is just going to be The Stone again, but with a bird isn't it :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

This is just "Kat caused her own existence" but on a smaller, easier scale.

That was my first thought, but dad and mom were already together apparently.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tom just missed a perfect opportunity for a All According to Keikaku joke in the comments.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I wonder if Zimmy will show up during that flashback. She's the one which calls that bird the Thousand Eyes, after all. Or the Annies remembers Gamma telling them that.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Kat better be taking notes on all these paradoxes she is causing. First Annie, now her mum's workshop and possibly her own creation.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I guess in retrospect it was a bit too convenient that Anja just happened to have set up in an extremely important building.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
when you are the singularity, things tend to get paradoxical due to all the infinities suddenly showing up in your math

any formal definition of god generally blossoms into a beautiful fractal of paradoxes due to being defined in terms of infinities

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Tom just missed a perfect opportunity for a All According to Keikaku joke in the comments.

All according to Keikatku.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah this is pretty much the textbook route to godhood in Gunnerkrigg World

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I wonder if Zimmy will show up during that flashback. She's the one which calls that bird the Thousand Eyes, after all. Or the Annies remembers Gamma telling them that.

I think Zimmy throwing a rock at a tictoc is the last time we've seen a living tictoc in-comic so we'll probably touch base with her eventually

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Haha turns out Kat is just Roko's Basilisk

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Is there any other webcomic currently being produced that's even half as good as this one? On every re-read I get sucked in, without fail.

At one point, probably 10 years ago now, I had a whole bookmark bar full of comics but now there is only GC.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This and Paranatural are my two favorite, but there's for sure plenty of others.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the only comics I read are this, unsounded and dungeon meshi

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kill Six Billion Demons

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dicebox is my favorite webcomic in terms of production, but it's certainly not a three times a week affair.

I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion of O, Human Star. It's a smaller story, but has a similar flow and style to GC.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

artichoke posted:

Is there any other webcomic currently being produced that's even half as good as this one?

Vattu

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like Brian Ellis' comic Problem Child, the art's not amazing but the story and characters are solid - if a bit rough early on.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kikas posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

This is the only correct answer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Among the not-yet-cited, I would suggest Widdershins, Marble Gate, and Ten Earth Shattering Blows.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Many of these have been mentioned already, but here's a list with some context.

Other than Gunnerkrigg I'm currently reading:
Kill Six Billion Demons - Comparative religion class meets heavy metal album covers, complete with kung-fu angel cops, badass grandmas with swords, and a GIANT GOLDEN BABY. This and Gunnerkrigg are tied for my favorite webcomics. Really good art and writing that continually improves. SA thread
Wilde Life - Rural fantasy featuring a normal guy with a funny name, Clifford the Big Red Dog (kinda), ghosts, and more! Clifford is secretly the main character.
Never Satisfied - MC enters a competition to be the next magic guardian of a city full of magicians. Said MC is kind of a mess and cannot, in fact, do magic. poo poo hits the fan. I especially like the artist's use of color and layout.
Unsounded - Grimdark epic fantasy with crunchy magic, politics, and shitheads maybe learning to be less lovely. Very good art. Content warning: bad things happen to kids.
Sleepless Domain - Somewhat of a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, where magical girls defend their city every night from monster attacks. Features fights, high school, depression, and anxiety! Compelling, somewhat weird art. Artist changes after the first chapter. Art is still compelling and somewhat weird. You don't have to care much about this genre at all the enjoy the story.
Sword Interval - Urban fantasy in a world that is nearing the apocalypse. Protagonist is out to hunt a lich called the Hierophant, who killed her family when she was 12. Nearly finished.

Vattu is also very good and I need to get back to reading it. Anthropological epic fantasy. Colonialism! Empire! Alienation!
Scurry, which is finished, uses a realistic style to depict the life of slightly anthropomorphic animals. Centered on a mouse and his attempt to save his home, which is running out of food. There are, mysteriously, no humans.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 4, 2020

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks, all. In a post-Achewood and Octopus Pie world, I was feeling kind of lost. I'll check these out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Stand Still Stay Silent is worth checking out imo, don't get too attached to the first batch of characters though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Schlock Mercenary's been going for so long I find it kinda impressive that it still has high points at all. There's a lot of inertia going on and it's neat that Howard finds new places to go instead of just relying on that, even if the new places are still a variation on "Schlock eats it".

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Whenever I think about webcomics that I fell off of that I absolutely need to pick up again at some point, Widdershins is always at the top of my list.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

John Allison is still producing webcomic content along with his print stuff, and it's still as good as ever.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Thanks for linking Wilde Life, I'd read a little bit of it a long time ago and totally forgot about it. Plus, it features Coyote! Or something like it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is widdershins done by the same guy who wrote a comic about the protagonist dying and becoming the champion of one of the Lord's of hell? The noses seem familiar.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's by a woman (Kate Ashwin) and I've never read her earlier comic but it was called Darken.

Widdershins is very good, though, and I highly recommend it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

flatluigi posted:

It's by a woman (Kate Ashwin) and I've never read her earlier comic but it was called Darken.

Widdershins is very good, though, and I highly recommend it.

Oh thank you for the correction. Darken was a lot of fun. I'll need to read Widdershins then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Sleepless Domain - Somewhat of a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, where magical girls defend their city every night from monster attacks. Features fights, high school, depression, and anxiety! Compelling, somewhat weird art. Artist changes after the first chapter. Art is still compelling and somewhat weird. You don't have to care much about this genre at all the enjoy the story.

I've put off reading this because I knew I'd hate having to wait for new pages, but now I have and it's excellent. I'm also caught up. gently caress. :v:

Sleepless Domain is very much a post-Madoka magical girl story, written by someone who understands how and why Madoka worked. And I really like the art, personally. It's expressive!

It's also less of a bummer than Madoka, which was a downer literally at all times. SD is overall pretty chill, sometimes funny in a gentle and goodhearted way, and usually melancholy at worst. Usually. Also: lots of good representation. And while this is a depressingly low bar, it's nice to see a magical girl story where the characters are all consistently and aggressively not sexualized in a genre that's had that problem quite a lot.