Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Posting the riptide with all the colors blocked in, just gotta do washes and highlights. I did wash the gun because I was waiting for a part to dry and got bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Covid painting: thunderhawk time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Booley posted:

Covid painting: thunderhawk time.

MMmmm that looks sick as hell. For the edge weathering do you use a dark grey then a metal color? I'm really loving it

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

MMmmm that looks sick as hell. For the edge weathering do you use a dark grey then a metal color? I'm really loving it

rhinox hide then metal.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Booley posted:

rhinox hide then metal.

Awesome, I don't have rhinox hide but I have eshin grey so i'll make it work. I was just using metal then lightly pocking it with black but I like your idea better

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Christ the skills are way too sick in this thread. I wish I was half the painter.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got my order for Bad Squiddo Games (The package arrived at US Customs May 5th and then languished until June 21st). So I celebrated by immediately painting the Laziest Shieldmaiden.

... I need to figure out what my camera settings were to take better photos...

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I've got a windfall of gift cards and I'm thinking of buying a dremel tool. Can you use them for general sanding on 40k minis? What are some other creative uses you've found?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

TheArmorOfContempt posted:

Have an Am-Bot scum.

Want to slap an ork head on there for a looter killsaw Meganob

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gameko posted:

I've got a windfall of gift cards and I'm thinking of buying a dremel tool. Can you use them for general sanding on 40k minis? What are some other creative uses you've found?

dremels own for lots of reasons but not for removing mold lines. get a set of small files or the GW mold line removing tool. uses for miniatures have been drilling holes for pinning in larger models or drilling holes in bases but i don't use it much in this hobby

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Getting back into the hobby after a 8 year hiatus. I’ve lurked this and the 40k thread on and off and I finally got the itch back. I used to play 3rd/4th edition Chaos/Elder before I sold everything. I was never a good painter but I really enjoyed doing it so nows a good time as any.

Here’s 3 of the snap together intecessors I painted as practice. I tried 3 different types of blues because I’m mainly going to be collecting Orks. I thought I was going to do Deathskulls but I’m not so sure now, I kind of dig the Badmoons and Evil Sunz color schemes too. I’ll do some test minis to see which color I can paint the best.

I have no idea how to human faces so please ignore the poor sergeant. I’m not used to using a wet palette so I’m still fiddling with the paint consistency. Sometimes I thin too much and sometimes it’s too thick which I think is especially apparent on the shoulder pads. I also have no idea how to take photos.

Anyways, just wanted to share some mariners. There’s so many talented painters here!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

yum posted:

Getting back into the hobby after a 8 year hiatus. I’ve lurked this and the 40k thread on and off and I finally got the itch back. I used to play 3rd/4th edition Chaos/Elder before I sold everything. I was never a good painter but I really enjoyed doing it so nows a good time as any.

Here’s 3 of the snap together intecessors I painted as practice. I tried 3 different types of blues because I’m mainly going to be collecting Orks. I thought I was going to do Deathskulls but I’m not so sure now, I kind of dig the Badmoons and Evil Sunz color schemes too. I’ll do some test minis to see which color I can paint the best.

I have no idea how to human faces so please ignore the poor sergeant. I’m not used to using a wet palette so I’m still fiddling with the paint consistency. Sometimes I thin too much and sometimes it’s too thick which I think is especially apparent on the shoulder pads. I also have no idea how to take photos.

Anyways, just wanted to share some mariners. There’s so many talented painters here!

You’re giving yourself too little credit, these guys look really good! Can’t wait to see how your Orks shape up.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So what's the deal with finecast? Have a model with it for the first time and I'm not sure if I should be treating it any differently.

I know it's for some disdain but I can't remember why, and if there was an advantage to casting with it...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

w00tmonger posted:

So what's the deal with finecast? Have a model with it for the first time and I'm not sure if I should be treating it any differently.

I know it's for some disdain but I can't remember why, and if there was an advantage to casting with it...

It's cheaper than regular resin casting. That's the main advantage.

It's a bit more fragile than regular resin, so you need to be careful with it. Also remember that as a resin, plastic cement won't work with it. You'll want to use superglue. Finally, make sure to wash it carefully before painting it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

w00tmonger posted:

JackMann posted:

It's cheaper than regular resin casting. That's the main advantage.

It's a bit more fragile than regular resin, so you need to be careful with it. Also remember that as a resin, plastic cement won't work with it. You'll want to use superglue. Finally, make sure to wash it carefully before painting it.

Maybe keep it out of direct summer sunlight.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

quote:

Those are the last models I own that have the "Amalgam" keyword (I dont have any necropunks or Marlena Webster). I dont really see how they fit in with the rest of the models thematically tbh, and didnt think a living dust storm would work with the lab theme (also, full disclosure, I didnt have any 40mm lab bases to hand even if I wanted to). most of the other models were painted quite a while ago, and I'm happier with the results on these than I am I with the rest of the crew, but heres the group shot (the abominations are a mix of 4 of the 2E plastics and 4 1E "Steampunk Abominations");

It was more like an undead rear end in a top hat haunting a dust cloud. Like a Crematorium Elemental, the industry of disposing of death, etc. Anyway he used to loving pile-drive poo poo to death and has gotten pretty substantially weaker in M3E. He used to have great synergy with Levi

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Finished a unit of Reiksguard.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Finished up a bloat-drone for my Dusk Raiders.

Just a heckuva lot of fun to paint, and a chance to try out those chipping and rust effects I'm always watching sardonic Eastern European tank modelers on YouTube talk about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brock Samsonite posted:

It was more like an undead rear end in a top hat haunting a dust cloud. Like a Crematorium Elemental, the industry of disposing of death, etc. Anyway he used to loving pile-drive poo poo to death and has gotten pretty substantially weaker in M3E. He used to have great synergy with Levi

Ah, that seems a better thematic fit!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This shield turned out well, I was going for a kind of Fabergé/enamel look, and it seems to have worked.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Torquemada posted:

This shield turned out well, I was going for a kind of Fabergé/enamel look, and it seems to have worked.

whoa that's cool

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

Just a heckuva lot of fun to paint, and a chance to try out those chipping and rust effects I'm always watching sardonic Eastern European tank modelers on YouTube talk about.

drat that eye is giving me serious cacodemon vibes, and I mean that in the most positive way possible.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Giant Ethicist posted:

Really great, but that amount of work just makes my heart sink. I do one space marine well, that’s about all I can manage in a month.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Plague Surgeon ready for action:

Still not a huge fan of some of the sculpt but it’s grown on me.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Torquemada posted:

Really great, but that amount of work just makes my heart sink. I do one space marine well, that’s about all I can manage in a month.

It took like... 4 days at an hour or two a day? I'm nothing if not good at labor-saving measures in painting.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

TotalHell posted:

You’re giving yourself too little credit, these guys look really good! Can’t wait to see how your Orks shape up.

Thank you! Super excited to work on Orks as well. I love the models!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been going back to an my Taurox project recently, but not too sure where to go from here. (Base is VMC887 with a thinned down Agrax wash to make it look grimy.) So far I'm thinking either recess shade and then drybrush, or drybrushing then shading all the rivets as suggested to me by a friend.
My biggest dilemma right now is that I'm not sure if I should go for Loren forest or Nurgling green for the drybrush as I don't have ogryn camo that is suggested elsewhere.

Forget I asked then.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 4, 2020

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I've had this battletech mini on my desk for at least 10 years to repaint. I finally just started without a color scheme in mind. I ran out of steam after doing some highlights. It started out as a zenithal brush highlight but I really like the stark black and white, it sort turned into an homage to the tech manuals.

It was mostly an exercise in black brush lining and trying to paint white over black.

I found out my baddab black ink is starting to go goopy, and Mr. Surfacer is really hard to brush paint at 90 deg f.

Any advice? I was thinking about doing a varnish and then applying and removing glazes to see how I like different paint schemes.

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1278846610492084228?s=21

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Vaporware posted:

Any advice? I was thinking about doing a varnish and then applying and removing glazes to see how I like different paint schemes.

If you like the way the white and black came out I'd say roll with it. Paint the cockpit in an easy fake-reflective mirrored look (to stand out from the sharp whites), base it, and you've got a solid ComGuards 'Mech right there.

If you're using GW colors: a stripe of Zandri dust on the bottom (if you have space wet blend in some bleached bone towards the top of the stripe) and then space wolves gray above with a wet blend to a brighter blue, separated by a thin black and white line with another white line (or two) at a sharp angle is an easy mirrored look that looks great on anything at BattleTech scale.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If anyone knows of any minipainting discords please let me know, I’ve been craving more hobby content lately.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

If anyone knows of any minipainting discords please let me know, I’ve been craving more hobby content lately.
the midwinter mini patreon one is friendly and reasonably active, if you're not averse to shelling out a couple bucks a month

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a Impulsor!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Man, your painting style is so good and it seems like you're able to pump stuff out so quick! It seems like you've mastered the art of eliminating unnecessary steps and being deliberate about color choice and techniques that create the most impact.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up a Impulsor!

Mmm I love that classic Salamanders green. I had no idea that thing was openbacked.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, R0ckfish is my first and only (so far) follow on instagram.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW really need to come out with sitting Primaris legs just so you can have a couple of Intercessors ride in the back of the Primaris Hilux. Or just model a couple of them in the back for the sake of it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting from the Scale Modeling thread because there's probably some skill overlap:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Started work on the Daimler Dingo by... Painting the crew figures instead of the scout car itself. On that note, anyone have tips for sunburned skin? I feel like a couple of Brits in Libya like these two might be suffering from a bit of the ol' lobster skin:

I have the Vallejo Model Color Face and Skintone Set I feel like might have what I need.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you like the way the white and black came out I'd say roll with it. Paint the cockpit in an easy fake-reflective mirrored look (to stand out from the sharp whites), base it, and you've got a solid ComGuards 'Mech right there.

If you're using GW colors: a stripe of Zandri dust on the bottom (if you have space wet blend in some bleached bone towards the top of the stripe) and then space wolves gray above with a wet blend to a brighter blue, separated by a thin black and white line with another white line (or two) at a sharp angle is an easy mirrored look that looks great on anything at BattleTech scale.

Where did you get tiny HISS tanks?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Wizchine posted:

Yeah, R0ckfish is my first and only (so far) follow on instagram.

Wow that is an honor! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

First few pink horrors are done. Man I liked painting these goofy bastards.