Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want an OSHA-laden show to watch, try Canada's Worst Handyman. It's a show where they take people who are extremely bad at DIY and home repairs (either because they're scared to learn how to be self-sufficient or they think they're amazing but are actually incompetent and dangerous) and have them try to complete basic home renovation and repair challenges as you marvel at how bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6B5csEH3I

Almost 10 pages ago, but the producers and presenters are either extremely patient or extremely dumb to let any of those people to operate power tools around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BMan posted:

For $6, I would assume the actual product is just a blade (or the whole thing is a scam)

Well, the full name of the site is "You Wish you got what you ordered", so probably the latter

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

HardDiskD posted:

Almost 10 pages ago, but the producers and presenters are either extremely patient or extremely dumb to let any of those people to operate power tools around them.

Since we are going back to this, why did they miss the chance to call it "Canada's least handy man"?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ika posted:

Since we are going back to this, why did they miss the chance to call it "Canada's least handy man"?

The Green Red show

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 3, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ika posted:

Because it was developed as a sister show to Canada's Worst Driver.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

the guy on the left in the thumbnail was eventually kicked off the show for reportedly telling another contestant that he could win "Canada's Fattest Handyman," calling him a f*****, and threatening to kill him with a power saw

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

HardDiskD posted:

One of the later episodes had a guy refusing to do any work until they showed him how the tools worked so he wouldn't be scared around them. Yeah, I think they needed to do that day 1, showing how all the basic hand tools work and giving general safety instructions around the more advanced stuff before they could get proper training on it.

There were way too many shots of one person holding something while the other person ran a power drill toward their chest. Probably nothing bad would happen, but still.

Sagebrush posted:

the guy on the left in the thumbnail was eventually kicked off the show for reportedly telling another contestant that he could win "Canada's Fattest Handyman," calling him a f*****, and threatening to kill him with a power saw

But Canadians are nice! :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Uthor posted:

One of the later episodes had a guy refusing to do any work until they showed him how the tools worked so he wouldn't be scared around them. Yeah, I think they needed to do that day 1, showing how all the basic hand tools work and giving general safety instructions around the more advanced stuff before they could get proper training on it.

Yeah this was insane. "Of course I can't handle a drill, you haven't showed me how to use a table saw yet!"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The show would be less entertaining if the contestants actually improved their skills in any way, which is probably why they didn't do that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

But Canadians are nice! :ohdear:
An American contestant would've just shot him.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BMan posted:

The show would be less entertaining if the contestants actually improved their skills in any way, which is probably why they didn't do that

Maybe, but it was kinda nice to see the Canada's Worst Drivers contestants become better drivers after each episode. I was kinda hoping for that format in this series, but I can live with the OSHA.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah this was insane. "Of course I can't handle a drill, you haven't showed me how to use a table saw yet!"

I was thinking along the lines: I've never been around guns. I wouldn't be super comfortable. Even if I wasn't planning on handling the gun, I would appreciate a basic safety overview along the lines of "don't touch the guns, but also watch out for these things".

Same thing about the table saw: "don't touch the saw, but also while it is being used, be sure to avoid these things to keep from getting hurt."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I can understand a surplus of caution around things that can very obviously do serious damage if you gently caress around.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Either someone pressed the wrong button, or the sensors got confused. Petrol station in Quincy, MA

https://i.imgur.com/uElApGA.mp4

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Was half expecting Pink Floyd to show up on the roof.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WarpedNaba posted:

Was half expecting Pink Floyd to show up on the roof.

That's a righteous image

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I like that all of the drivers give absolutely no fucks about the cloud of mystery gas drifting into the road.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'm always amazed at how aggressive some common firefighting systems are. That system is not loving around

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

LifeSunDeath posted:

<Giant Saws>

I feel like someone's attacked James Bond with every single one of these at some point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That is a loving great suppression system.

I wish petrol stations in Australia had something like that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Around here, you’re lucky to find a station that installed the quick disconnects on the right way round.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I have a relative that works on those systems. They love when they go off, it's guaranteed overtime and the cleanup just consists of hosing it down the drain.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I have a relative that works on those systems. They love when they go off, it's guaranteed overtime and the cleanup just consists of hosing it down the drain.

So they don't contain PFAS? Or they do and in Trump's America we don't care anymore?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Don't know, I'll try to ask him. We're in MA so there's a high likelihood that his company is cleaning up that station in Quincy right now.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Memento posted:

So they don't contain PFAS? Or they do and in Trump's America we don't care anymore?

Yeah the whole time watching that clip I was thinking that looks carcinogenic.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Varkk posted:

Yeah the whole time watching that clip I was thinking that looks carcinogenic.

Seems like it’s persistent enough that any one in the blast zone is going to need to worry about it displaying all the local o2 before they would need to consider any second order effects.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know how much of the lessons are left out, they don't tend to show classroom stuff but it doesn't seem like they have had any if by episode 6/8 they are still hammering nails sideways and can't use a drill. Which made me question how they let them use things like chainsaws and cordless circular saws. Someone carving their femoral artery with a saw would be a good way to get shut down.

But it's reality TV so you know things are being manipulated for the most drama/storylines.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Memento posted:

Either someone pressed the wrong button, or the sensors got confused. Petrol station in Quincy, MA

https://i.imgur.com/uElApGA.mp4

drat son that's better than those airplane hanger ones that slowly fill up with bubbles. Someone asked an engineer is it possible to immediately displace O2 from 2000 cubic meters of air with authority and forgot to mention they might be people in the area before the engineer got to work while giggling.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm always amazed at how aggressive some common firefighting systems are. That system is not loving around

To be fair. When gasoline ignites, it's at least that aggressive as well. So in a real emergency it would be massive arm wrestling match to see who gets the o2 first (none for the humans).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Ika posted:

Are you aware that this was a real show?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%27s_Worst_Handyman

THEY COULDN'T EVEN USE HAMMERS!
I don't care if its be talked about already, we should all watch this.

fist4jesus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 4, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fat Loser posted:

To be fair. When gasoline ignites, it's at least that aggressive as well. So in a real emergency it would be massive arm wrestling match to see who gets the o2 first (none for the humans).

Yeah, a gas station going boom is going to cause so much collateral damage that it will absolutely kill anyone standing at the gas station while it happens. As much as it's horrible if anyone suffocates when the suppression system goes off, you can't waste any time in containing the fire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't do CPR on someone who burned to death

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Ohhhh hahaha that's what he said? Pyschopath. In typical classy discovery channel/Canadian style they didn't even tease or glamorize it like most reality TV would. they just booted him with the host cutting in saying "he said something awful and intolerable, that's all we'll repeat of his message. He's gone now."

I found season 2 after watching s4 and lol it's infuriatingly good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carecat posted:

I don't know how much of the lessons are left out, they don't tend to show classroom stuff but it doesn't seem like they have had any if by episode 6/8 they are still hammering nails sideways and can't use a drill. Which made me question how they let them use things like chainsaws and cordless circular saws. Someone carving their femoral artery with a saw would be a good way to get shut down.

But it's reality TV so you know things are being manipulated for the most drama/storylines.

They do get lessons in exactly what they're going to be doing before they do it. The first time they have to use something like a table saw as part of a challenge, they're taught how to properly use it and are also shown by the experts how the task is supposed to be done. The guy freaking out about not being taught how to use a table saw was told "You don't have to use it and nobody else is." There have been several times where the show's crew or host have run in and stopped someone from doing something obviously dangerous or if they were displaying such bad handling that they were doubtlessly going to hurt themselves, which is why all of the injuries they had were relatively minor instead of anyone being hospitalized.

In general, their poor performance is more due to their personal problems than any lack of skill. They either think they're awesome and refuse to listen to advice or break down when they get mildly confused by something and need to have their hand held through every step. The whole point of the show is that all of the challenges are very normal and easy and they're given all the instructions and equipment that an average person would need to do the task; I did stagecraft in my freshman year of college that was more complicated than the stuff they're loving up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

I have a problem with a couple of questions attached to it. Any help or wisdom would be appreciated:

I tried to take a shower today but, as I was raising the hose to hook the shower head into the hook, I felt my hand and forearm shaking, like pins and needles. My housemate had said something about the shower shocking him but he uses the other one in the apartment so I thought he meant that. I touched the tap at the bottom with the back of my hand and felt what I assume was another shock.

I knocked on the door of the neighbours on my floor and asked to shower there, but the same thing happened again. I've called the landlady, who told me to "shower with gloves on", but she's also called the company that supervises the building.

Since then, my third housemate tried to replicate the issue without success and the kitchen tap didn't seem to cause it either,

My questions are:

- was my getting shocked in the other apartment a sign that it's in the building or was it from me being shocked the first time?

- if it's a building-wide problem, why is it only the showers? Why did it only become apparent when raising the showerhead both times? Does the fact that a lot of water's running through the pipes affect the shock? Is it some kind of static buildup from the friction of the water?

- can I use the other taps (i.e. kitchen) safely?

Note: it's not an electric shower, the hot water comes from a gas boiler with no hot water tank

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

I was expecting the roof to lift off, but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

I was expecting the roof to lift off, but no.

needs more struts