Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Not So Fast posted:

Complaining about one thread in another thread is always the most boring thing to read. If you believe in the strength of your posting go argue with the CCP stans over there.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I the past disagreeing with tankies over there has been a good way to get a probation or a ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

Complaining about one thread in another thread is always the most boring thing to read. If you believe in the strength of your posting go argue with the CCP stans over there.
if u believe hong kong shud b free then protest it in hong kong

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Shumagorath posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-suspending-extradition-treaty-hong-kong-over-security-law-1.5636479

Canada suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong over new security law

To be expected since extradition was a big sticking point during free trade negotiations five years ago but that export ban is shamefully late. Holy gently caress am I glad that deal never went through; we'd be bound to continue dealing with the party in good faith while they did nothing of the sort.

Unfortunately at this point I think ruining Hong Kong economically is a moot point. The time to do this was back in September, but now the CCP is all in on absorbing HK. Failing to do so now would result in a massive loss of face and the party would rather have another Great Leap Forward than risk that.

Stay safe HK goons

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Warbadger posted:

China isn't aspiring to be a racist ethnostate anymore, it's already there as far as the PRC is concerned.

Since Xi took power he's been rapidly checking off the fascism boxes from government backed ethno-nationalism and genocide of minorities to building a personality cult and making absurd revanchist territory grabs.

Trump probably admires that part, but he's pretty dumb, lazy, and unpopular so he can't even pull the strings necessary to set himself up as president for life much less make it illegal to say mean things about him.

I don't think the oppression of Uyghurs is actually "ethnic" per se. Much like the Soviet Union the PRC kinda bills itself as the protector of minority nationalities, and has definitely done things to reify those nationalities and make them more real. The issue I think is that Islam presents a source of authority outside of the CCP, its the same fundamental issue they have with Fulan Gong.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

I don't think the oppression of Uyghurs is actually "ethnic" per se. Much like the Soviet Union the PRC kinda bills itself as the protector of minority nationalities, and has definitely done things to reify those nationalities and make them more real. The issue I think is that Islam presents a source of authority outside of the CCP, its the same fundamental issue they have with Fulan Gong.

Yunnan has more muslims than there are in Xinjiang, and they are not being put into camps, thrown into forced labor, or forced into marriages. Not all minorities are treated equally.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Dont Touch ME posted:

Yunnan has more muslims than there are in Xinjiang, and they are not being put into camps, thrown into forced labor, or forced into marriages. Not all minorities are treated equally.

Xinjiang is nearly 50% Muslim though, that's the difference.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

On the other hand, the state media is releasing incredibly lovely material w/r/t black people at the moment portraying them as irresponsible and a vector for spreading coronavirus. China certainly has some minority protections in place - which pre-date Xi's Han Chauvinist administration - but that doesn't really mean a lot when you have a million+ people getting thrown into camps, used as slave labor, organ harvested, and getting sterilized for being Uighur. You can't really be a protector of minority nationalities while exterminating at least one of those minorities and running a PR hitjob on a second.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

Xinjiang is nearly 50% Muslim though, that's the difference.

And Falun Gong is a majority in any province?

Meanwhile Mongolians and Tibetans have their own troubles with persecution in their home provinces. While the CCP has done a good job of elevating minorities in their core regions, the three largest provinces are rife with issues.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I dont think Grand Fromage is going to want to IK this thread lol

I thought about it but lol I'm like 90% out the door as a mod anyway so taking on more poo poo is dumb.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

And Falun Gong is a majority in any province?

Meanwhile Mongolians and Tibetans have their own troubles with persecution in their home provinces. While the CCP has done a good job of elevating minorities in their core regions, the three largest provinces are rife with issues.

This is intertwined with the nationality = ethnicity thing. A dissolute and weak minority is not a threat to a Han Chinese nation and is much easier to tolerate. A concentrated and regionally influential minority, though, is a potential threat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Tibetans in Chengdu are a small minority, there are armed police absolutely everywhere in their parts of town but otherwise they're left alone.

There are reports of Hui being wrapped up in the anti-Uyghur pogrom, they're not as consistent though. My Hui ex is terrified since her family knows people who have disappeared and keeps asking me if there's a way I can get her family out. She's fortunately been living outside China for quite a while and is safe, but she isn't a citizen or permanent resident where she is so she can't do anything about her parents.

E: Hui are the minority that are considered ethnically Chinese but are majority Muslim/have Muslim ancestry, I suppose not everyone knows about em. Not a huge group.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 3, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my old hui buddy had her room ransacked at 3am by guoanbu once while visiting parents

she also worked for the electronic frontier foundation at the time tho so that might have been it

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Warbadger posted:

This is intertwined with the nationality = ethnicity thing. A dissolute and weak minority is not a threat to a Han Chinese nation and is much easier to tolerate. A concentrated and regionally influential minority, though, is a potential threat.

Or the reason why muslims in Qinghai and Yunnan aren't thrown into camps is because they are Han chinese, or are at least "closer" to being Han than the turkic Uyghers

And FWIW "Han" isn't a real ethnicity either. It's a conglomeration of innumerable cultures and ethnicities that have been added to the ranks over time. It's always been about "We must defend against those barbarians at the gates. Will you join us?"

If you say yes, then you're Han. If you say no, you're one of of those southland barbarians.

Really this is all nonsense though. We all know the real reason for the Uygher genocide is no why

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

Or the reason why muslims in Qinghai and Yunnan aren't thrown into camps is because they are Han chinese.

And FWIW "Han" isn't a real ethnicity either. It's a conglomeration of innumerable cultures and ethnicities that have been added to the ranks over time. It's always been about "We must defend against those barbarians at the gates. Will you join us?"

If you say yes, then you're Han. If you say no, you're one of of those southland barbarians.

Really this is all nonsense though. We all know the real reason for the Uygher genocide is no why

Well, yeah, the issue isn't that these people are Muslim. They clearly aren't exterminating Islam, though that has been a part of the program targeting the Uighurs and their culture.

As for the Han being multiple ethnicities thing - you could say the same about Aryans. Race and ethnicity are really poorly defined things and anyone using them has got to cherrypick a bit to make them work as classifications. It's dumb but it's clear that people are willing to do it anyways.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 3, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's it like bootlicking the most evil (by volume of atrocities) government on the planet

Tangy or more of a sweet n sour?

*lives in a country that temporarily elects an idiot failson for three years*
"THIS IS FASCISM DAMMIT I HATE YOU DAD"

*china puts uyghurs on trains and carts them off to labor/sterilization camps*
"xi is my new daddy"

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Not So Fast posted:

this makes no sense, nobody should be expected to debate a tankie no more than they need to debate a nazi, any time when your position is in favor of black-box reeducation camps then the exact details about how you arrive at that position cease to matter

this is not something that can be solved with science, data, rhetoric or pulitzer-price winning journalism, their position just needs to be made socially unacceptable so punch them in the streets and ban them from online spaces

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
wow found some news, maybe this will convince a tankie that camps can be bad?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/china-hair-uyghur-cpb-trnd/index.html

quote:

A 13-ton shipment of beauty products such as weaves suspected to have been made out of human hair was seized on Wednesday by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the Port of New York/Newark.
According to the CPB, the shipment originated in Xinjiang, China

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vesi posted:

"Man, there must be a lot of CIA agents flying over to China for haircuts."

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Vesi posted:

https://apnews.com/fff5fc7925f09916bf6b9d5f79bb4132#:~:text=Federal%20authorities%20in%20New%20York,inside%20a%20Chinese%20internment%20camp

literally hitler

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
[qoute] Wednesday’s shipment was made by Lop County Meixin Hair Product Co. Ltd. In May, a similar detention was placed on Hetian Haolin Hair Accessories Co. Ltd., although those weaves were synthetic, not human, the agency said. [/quote]

oh it's unclear if this is just normal run of the mill slave labor or extraordinary extra bad slave labor

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Genocide is bad. Be it physical genocide, or cultural genocide.

Being able to black bag, and imprison indefinitely in underground facilities, people for the vague and very easily misinterpreted reasons like "sedition, terrorism, and causing a nuisance" is bad.

How is this hard to understand?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The hair is used for beauty students to practice haircuts, btw. Japan also imports a lot of hair from China for beauty schools.
Ugh

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
*beaten like a uighur

Does anyone want those cumin chilli lamb braids?

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12417176

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 4, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrigadierSensible posted:

Genocide is bad. Be it physical genocide, or cultural genocide.

Being able to black bag, and imprison indefinitely in underground facilities, people for the vague and very easily misinterpreted reasons like "sedition, terrorism, and causing a nuisance" is bad.

How is this hard to understand?

...very, I guess?

The genocide denial stuff gets me incredibly frustrated. Because people can come in here and claim victory because "this article, picked up by multiple international news agencies, was biased because the dude is religious!! Find another something else, buried under now hundreds of news articles that everyone is talking about, or I win." Like I get that - not wanting to use data because the author publishes in right-wing academic journals. But the data itself, after reading the actual thing (https://jamestown.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Zenz-Internment-Sterilizations-and-IUDs.pdf?x60014, posted in D&D by the C-SPAM mod)...I don't see any problem with it? The idea that you can laugh away "haha, han number going down while xinjiang people going up in 1 graph" like its the loving "oh my god, he admit it" poo poo. They're explaining that effectively Han colonists in Xingjiang are now being classified under a different residency system, 年末总人口, instead of the traditional hukou system.

The implantation of IUDs is the bigger issue of the article itself, not just population numbers now. The C-SPAM brigade latched onto the total population numbers, and didn't care about...

"Between 2015 and 2018, Xinjiang placed 7.8 times more new IUDs per capita than the national average."

"Nationwide, per capita sterilization procedures plummeted after the national family planning reform, which from January 2016 permitted Chinese citizens to have two children (China Brief, February 28). In sharp contrast, sterilizations in Xinjiang surged in 2017 and 2018."

"In 2018, Xinjiang sterilized 1.1 percent of all married women of childbearing age. "

And its just not cared about! They're targeting these areas in Xinjiang that are Uyghur majority. And they're offering cash payments for people to get IUDs. And its waved away like "well, the canadian reservation schools sterilized first nations groups too." YEAH IT WAS ALSO BAD. I don't see this kind of handwaving away when Israel was sterilizing Ethiopian Jews in the 80s and 90s.

but gently caress it, not only is this poo poo not happening, instead its a good thing. Like the Narcissist's prayer but for public policy.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
hong kong liberator would be an epic band name or a huge sextoy

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vesi posted:

this makes no sense, nobody should be expected to debate a tankie no more than they need to debate a nazi, any time when your position is in favor of black-box reeducation camps then the exact details about how you arrive at that position cease to matter

this is not something that can be solved with science, data, rhetoric or pulitzer-price winning journalism, their position just needs to be made socially unacceptable so punch them in the streets and ban them from online spaces

If it were "just" black box re-education "throw minority-x into forced education" type stuff this would be horrible, but it falls so far short of what is actually being done. Instead they went whole hog with the rape/torture, sterilization, slave labor, organ harvesting, and weird poo poo like whatever the gently caress the "Pair Up and Become Family" program is just to make it absolutely clear that this isn't about education or punishing extremists. And tankies will still defend it - or just call the victims liars.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 4, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What makes the genocide in Xinjiang so bad is that the CCPs endgame is so that they can trot out a little boy who will smilingly say, (in Mandarin), "My mother named me Mohammed, but I have chosen the new name Xi after our glorious leader because I love China so much. I never want to be like the terrorists in the Hong Kong province, or the devils in the unnamed country."

Like this is their publicly stated objective. The "Re-education" camps exist to make them more "han" and less "not-han". The free organs/hair, and cheap labour are bonuses.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Vesi posted:

https://twitter.com/meghara/status/1278443813653151745

i guess we can read the our own tankie forum cspam, to judge whether this would change their opinion

Lightning Knight posted:

they clearly do not like CSPAM, or anyone who posts here, and live in a different perceived reality. That's ok, as long as they stay in their "no commies allowed" clubhouse really.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think that's understating, what China is doing to the Uighur population is very similar to things like the residential schools, which nobody here would defend I would hope ... anybody saying that China is literally Hitler 2.0. and implicitly that the US must Take Action is delusional.

only commies live in the correct reality, very logical take from SA mods

shovelbum posted:

It certainly seems lovely but since I'm from a racist failed state I can't even feel good condemning it much less saying oh we must Do Something.

shovelbum posted:

Like definitionally only white people can do racism

this guy lives in america and read marx all his life, he seems to know whats up

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i'm skeptical of the hair thing being a specifically Uighur aimed atrocity since wigs made from human hair are p normal. more general shadiness and exploitation seems likely tho, but that's just every product produced in PRC

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

quote:

I think that's understating, what China is doing to the Uighur population is very similar to things like the residential schools, which nobody here would defend I would hope ... anybody saying that China is literally Hitler 2.0. and implicitly that the US must Take Action is delusional.

i am not quite sure what is wrong with this. folks foaming at the mouth about "Chinazis" are p off putting and i do hope no one actually wants some sort of violent intervention.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Violent intervention would be insane for a number of different reasons. Economic intervention has never had a better opportunity.

shovelbum posted:

Like definitionally only white people can do racism
An Indigenous Canadian man once yelled "get back on your boat" at my ex, a Chinese Canadian woman born in Canada :eng101:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Forced sterilization of Native American women did happen 50 years ago in the US and YES it was an atrocity and SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE INTERVENED IN SOME WAY. And yes black people ARE being targeted by police and a huge chunk the population of various races are protesting to stop it right now. There are toddlers in cages on the border and it is horrific and indefensible and I am donating money to organizations to stop it.

AND NONE OF THAT CHANGES that China's lovely authoritarian government is rounding up Uhygars and putting them in concentration camps where they are tortured, abused, raped and sterilized, and having their organs harvested (probably killing them in the process. It also does not change the fact that they are assigning male party members to go live with and rape the wives of the men they arrest for their mere enthicity. It is Nazi style genocide and just because they haven't admitted to digging mass graves yet doesn't mean they haven't or won't. Maybe they'll use bullets and mass graves instead of gas and crematoriums but it is going to be the same result in the end.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Mr. Fix It posted:

i am not quite sure what is wrong with this. folks foaming at the mouth about "Chinazis" are p off putting and i do hope no one actually wants some sort of violent intervention.

its a bit of a strawman in itself, i dont think anyone has been calling out for US intervention in this thread, yet past few pages have CSPAM leakers denying massacres ever happened which is pretty ironic for people who are against the term "Chinazis"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They're just bad people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Even if you're narrowly defining racism as the power structure thing, it takes some real galaxy brain to claim that white people control the power structure within China.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kill All Cops posted:

its a bit of a strawman in itself, i dont think anyone has been calling out for US intervention in this thread, yet past few pages have CSPAM leakers denying massacres ever happened which is pretty ironic for people who are against the term "Chinazis"

an armed conflict would be insane. but if we said, say, "any products sold in america made in china must now be made in the phillippines/vietnam/taiwan/domesti:ohno:" o baby

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

therobit posted:

AND NONE OF THAT CHANGES that China's lovely authoritarian government is rounding up Uhygars and putting them in concentration camps where they are tortured, abused, raped and sterilized, and having their organs harvested (probably killing them in the process. It also does not change the fact that they are assigning male party members to go live with and rape the wives of the men they arrest for their mere enthicity. It is Nazi style genocide and just because they haven't admitted to digging mass graves yet doesn't mean they haven't or won't. Maybe they'll use bullets and mass graves instead of gas and crematoriums but it is going to be the same result in the end.

i guess you 100% believe everything you're writing here and i guess that the worst of what you're alleging could be happening, but i think it just invites tankies posting "[CITATION NEEDED]" and an ensuing argument about the bias of sources and everyone calling everyone else propaganda consuming and spreading stooges. "there are concentration camps and the CCP says as much" should be enough for a reasonable and realistic response to be formulated. economic sanctions aren't entirely non-violent, but China's entry into the WTO and global trade was predicated on the idea that it would liberalize them and make them accountable to world opinion. i think that makes those sanctions fair game. trumpeting about an ongoing "Nazi-style" genocide of the Uighurs without exceptional evidence is reckless and i am sympathetic to those who view it as a presage to military intervention or something similar.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Grand Fromage posted:

Even if you're narrowly defining racism as the power structure thing, it takes some real galaxy brain to claim that white people control the power structure within China.

The core of the tankie delusion and IMO one of the elements that is key to understanding how it is just Red Fascism is the idea that people of European descent, ie "white people" are the prime and sole movers of history. Everything that happens can fundamentally be traced back to whites exercising agency on people who have none independent of reacting to the actions of whites.

It blends really well with their notions that countries in the Anglosphere, which are unusually cosmopolitan in terms of the ethnic makeup of their populations, are fundamentally "white" countries.

This is one of the reasons why they accuse people who criticize the CCP as being racist; because to them, all states are fundamentally ethno-states to be divided on the basis of race.

Ironically this is a view of history that coincides most with Nazism, whose core tenants were that the core of a nation-state was fundamentally race, and that the international system was merely an arena for racial conflict.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

They get away with it by having different definitions all the way down. The power structures are made by imperialism, which is redefined, on top of other things redefined, etc etc. Which is fine and useful in a conversation where everyone is using Lenin's definition of stuff, or an academic discussion of race in the US. But I don't think people realize that, outside of that, it's not a gotcha. It's just admitting "I am intentionally misunderstanding you so I got something to dunk on you for."

Mr. Fix It posted:

i guess you 100% believe everything you're writing here and i guess that the worst of what you're alleging could be happening, but i think it just invites tankies posting "[CITATION NEEDED]" and an ensuing argument about the bias of sources and everyone calling everyone else propaganda consuming and spreading stooges. "there are concentration camps and the CCP says as much" should be enough for a reasonable and realistic response to be formulated. economic sanctions aren't entirely non-violent, but China's entry into the WTO and global trade was predicated on the idea that it would liberalize them and make them accountable to world opinion. i think that makes those sanctions fair game. trumpeting about an ongoing "Nazi-style" genocide of the Uighurs without exceptional evidence is reckless and i am sympathetic to those who view it as a presage to military intervention or something similar.

For sure, people took the bait in here and it was bad. It's like arguing with a white nationalist when they're trying to get a big reaction out of you so they can paint you a certain way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Mr. Fix It posted:

There is no source that tankies will accept. Zenz's research and evidence is very strong, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't conform to the tankie world view. Much like how you'll never convince Nazis that the Holocaust happened despite overwhelming evidence including documentation by the Nazis themselves.