Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

bought this game yesterday and pretty much completely ignored a full day of work because I thought I was close to coal power... it took a while and now I'm at ten hours played all of s sudden.

do you ever get anything that helps you kill aliens better? schlepping to my coal location to try to build a plant has gotten me killed twice. the little taser doesn't seem to do poo poo to anything besides the little run around guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CharlesThunder posted:

bought this game yesterday and pretty much completely ignored a full day of work because I thought I was close to coal power... it took a while and now I'm at ten hours played all of s sudden.

do you ever get anything that helps you kill aliens better? schlepping to my coal location to try to build a plant has gotten me killed twice. the little taser doesn't seem to do poo poo to anything besides the little run around guys.

You get a proper sword later. Other advice would be to hotkey the build Lookout, and climb up when you see enemies. You can then box in enemies and kill at your leisure if you are okay with cheesing it, or just take a breather and do some healing if you need to.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You don't even have to build the lookout - just aim at your feet and jump-build foundations underneath yourself to escape combat because you're carrying thousands of concrete with you while you explore, right? (You should). Also the rebar gun is deceptively strong and very cheap to spam ammo for.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I prefer to twat spiders in melee because they are really hard to hit.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I'd also recommend scanning for and making an early trip to a caterium deposit. It takes less than 400 caterium ore to research and build an item that serves as a powerful defense in addition to being one of the most important convenience items in the game.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I did just finally unlock coal after throwing basically everything into it. I kind of need to rejigger everything to push screws into the assemblers faster for more reinforced plates, but should I make the trek for coal first? At what point do I want to be switching over? I'm not sure if I want to gather all my iron inputs and centralize the smelting right now or if I should just go grab the coal...

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
If you're doing big smelting projects then your power costs are likely to spike. Plus, aren't you tired of manually reloading biofuel burners by now? I know when I switched to coal it was with a sigh of relief.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CharlesThunder posted:

I did just finally unlock coal after throwing basically everything into it. I kind of need to rejigger everything to push screws into the assemblers faster for more reinforced plates, but should I make the trek for coal first? At what point do I want to be switching over? I'm not sure if I want to gather all my iron inputs and centralize the smelting right now or if I should just go grab the coal...

Get coal ASAP. Always sort out power first, IMO. Constant brownouts is not fun.

Also coal means steel so you'll have to plan for that as well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Try to find a Pure coal node, since that'll get you enough to get going on both coal power and steel production out of one node.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm actually sad you can't plant trees and auto harvest them, I would love a massive biomass fuel farm.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Power plant is now operational! :toot:

Now I just need to shove in another hundred or so generators and I'm set for power for life.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BisbyWorl posted:

Now I just need to shove in another hundred or so generators and I'm set for power for life.

Oooooo that's pretty

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I'm a fan of putting all my eggs in one big-rear end basket, clearly. Shoutouts to the train tracks that go way out into the boonies solely because I wanted to make it go through the cave.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

CharlesThunder posted:

As others have mentioned, yeah you get a better melee weapon, guns, pipe bombs, etc later, but really for combat the ultimate weapon you have brought from humanity's cradle is our dark god the automobile, to whom we have sacrificed untold numbers of our own kind, alongside with all manner of other living beings. The car is the Great Destroyer and it has come to this virgin world. Woe to you, o MASSAGE-2(AB) b, for the Devil sends Mankind with Car.

VVVVV: yeah it only ragdolls em, but I think you'll find I'm quite a solid fighter against targets who can't fight back due to having recently been run over by a car.

chairface fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 3, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The car doesn't actually kill anything though?

Running something over so it ragdolls, hopping out and beating it up before it gets up, then repeating, is a perfectly valid strategy, however.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish hitting the monsters would at least damage them. If they can knock me back and I take damage, I should be able to damage them the same way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Vehicles are great cause I keep tripping the big tall thing :downs:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

CharlesThunder posted:

Remember your ABCs: Always Build Coal power as soon as possible, then make the step to steel.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

BisbyWorl posted:

I can’t not stare at the crag with googly eyes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

TK-42-1 posted:

I can’t not stare at the crag with googly eyes.

Being able to slap decals onto buildings/terrain would be awesome.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

gently caress do I build a giant line of power towers for 800 meters to use the coal? or do I just start everything over above the beach. doesn't seem like there's as much iron or space in general.

or I guess just a water pipeline and some trucks dropping off all the coal back by my main base and do the generation there...

OR.... a water pipeline to someplace between these coal nodes, the coal nodes on the steppe, then route trucks and power to that place and have a central power hub...

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 3, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

CharlesThunder posted:

gently caress do I build a giant line of power towers for 800 meters to use the coal?
or do I just start everything over above the beach. doesn't seem like there's as much iron or space in general.

or I guess just a water pipeline and some trucks dropping off all the coal back by my main base and do the generation there...

It’s this one, power is transmitted instantaneously down a single connection so build a remote power plant such that it will all run on rails without you and only ever come back to expand it.

e: you’re looking for a lake big enough to put many extractors into, close to a source of coal. Belt the coal to the lake and build the actual power plants close enough to the surface that you don’t need to gently caress around with pumps to elevate the water.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, laying cable in this game is one of the easiest tasks, at least if you don't mind it being kind of wonky. If it has to be PERFECTLY STRAIGHT then you gotta set a concrete path which takes a while and some effort.

It helps that power cable can go a surprisingly long ways.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You've really not got any reason to not wire up every outpost of your base into one network.

Especially once you unlock and start using trains, as the rails carry power too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Almost ready to start my new base. Everything will be in alignment.

The Grid grows.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

train stations transmit power over the rails so that a good way to move it around

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I tend to shove all of my stuff into factory boxes, where what's in the box is a mess, but hidden, and everything between the boxes is nice and organized.

And until they get me some sort of survey/marking tools, straight lines are just not going to happen for me.

Those are all conveyor belts heading out to my sub-stations, btw. I decided that the trucks weren't reliable enough when compared to thousands of steel belts churning my materials across the land.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tenebrais posted:

You've really not got any reason to not wire up every outpost of your base into one network.

Especially once you unlock and start using trains, as the rails carry power too.

The only thing that should probably be on its own network is the network that powers the coal mines/water pumps for your coal power - that way you don't have to disconnect everything when you inevitably overbuild and start browning out the power.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Here's my west coast oil refinery, 2 pure nodes, 2 normal, all overclocked to fill the 300/m pipes. It generates 3000MW, 480 petroleum coke, 300 rubber, and 296 plastic. I feel like I might need to take some of the generators out and produce more petro coke though. They're color coded by node.

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 4, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

One pure oil node. 7 water extractors. 52 refineries. 144 fuel generators.

The end result?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Can a single node even fuel that many generators?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Fangz posted:

Pure crude oil node overclocked to 300m/m -> heavy oil residue -> diluted fuel -> unpackaged fuel -> turbofuel

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

It's enough for 148 generators, the 144 was probably because routing the fuel is annoying, so it's better to round down.

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Fuel_Generator#Stage_5

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I've started just leaving most of my machines at base clock speed and redirecting all excess into a sink, but I get the feeling that eventually that won't work anymore once i reach the highest tier of conveyors. Is this a bad philosophy going forward? I just unlocked oil.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Depends on what you’re sinking. If it’s raw ore or ingots it’s not going to get you much in the way of coupons and just keep your power consumption up. Personally I just have huge buffers and run overflow to my machines. If I need to expand production I split off from the buffer storage and it seems to do ok. It’s not the most efficient since I usually start with the manufacturer and work backwards until I hit a bottleneck and work on that until everything’s fine. However I sink the absolute poo poo out of resin because there’s always too much of it and every time my grid fails it’s because of the drat resin.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

BisbyWorl posted:

Pure crude oil node overclocked to 300m/m -> heavy oil residue -> diluted fuel -> unpackaged fuel -> turbofuel

Diluted and Turbo fuel are Alternate recipes right? I haven't seen those yet.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pen Expers posted:

Diluted and Turbo fuel are Alternate recipes right? I haven't seen those yet.

Yes. Specifically you need the recipes for Diluted Packaged Fuel, Turbofuel, Heavy Oil Residue, and Compacted Coal.

So actually pulling something like this off takes a bit of hard drive RNG.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Isn't the downside of something like that, that if you aren't drawing enough power on your grid your plastics and rubber production shuts down?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fangz posted:

Isn't the downside of something like that, that if you aren't drawing enough power on your grid your plastics and rubber production shuts down?

You can build an overflow for the HOR and send the excess to be turned into coke, which can then be crushed. And plastic/rubber/resin is already solid and ready for crushing.
But really, don't mix the production of fuel and plastic/rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Yeah the only byproduct that has to be dealt with in this setup is a bit of polymer resin.

If I want to make stuff using oil, I still have two normal nodes in the patch I found that I can tap whenever.