Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Kaido's child is actually trans? That's neat

Er, what? Kaido's 'son' is very clearly a woman, not trans. Nowhere did the chapter say 'used to be a man -> now a woman', she's just living the manly spirit of Oden's legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Er, what? Kaido's 'son' is very clearly a woman, not trans. Nowhere did the chapter say 'used to be a man -> now a woman', she's just living the manly spirit of Oden's legacy

"I became a man, too" and Kaido, and everyone else, calls Yamato "son".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This isn't even the only time this arc we've found out a character is trans!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Parrotine posted:

Er, what? Kaido's 'son' is very clearly a woman, not trans.

gender has nothing to do with appearance

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

Being transgender doesn't exclusively mean "was a boy, is now a girl." It can mean that, but it can go in the other direction, too.

Yamato is a man, because he insists he is. He looks effeminate because he doesn't have access to any kind of transitioning aids like a local Ivankov.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 4, 2020

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yamato is a friend

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Bug posted:

Robin ties all of Orochi's necks together in a big knot

And then Kin'emon channels his inner Alexander.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Parrotine posted:

You do know that trans men exist, right?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yamato owns, and it's lovely and wholesome that everyone acknowledges him as Kaido's son.

Kinda lovely that the introduction pannel didn't... Oda's dropped the ball on related issues in the past so this may all end poorly, but no reason to get preemptively disapointed. For now it owns.

Gyges posted:

Please let Robin fight. Orochi really deserves a visit from the Hana Hana Chiropractor.
I just want to point out there's a spread this chapter of all the big villains: Kaidou, King, Queen, Jack, Orochi... and Fukurokuju, the secret police guy with the tall head.

And you know, Robin already had a run-in with him and it would make sense for her to take out the intelligence guy.

Though I guess he was also stated to be Raizo's ninja rival or something.

On that note, I'm really wondering about the fights this arc. If any arc could justify a bunch of one-on-one major fights its this one. But not only do we have an insane number of enemies- we have an insane number of allies. Are the samurai all going to get proper fights? I feel like Kinemon has earned one at least. If Kyros of all loving people got to take out one of Doflamingo's top guys, Kinemon should be doing something important. And besides the samurai you have Kidd, Law, Marco, the minks... Who's going to be left over for the Strawhats to actually fight?

Or rather, there are definitely enough people for everyone to fight someone interesting, but how many chapters are going to be dedicated to shounen duels?

I'm not super into fights in general, but I'm very interested to see how this all pans out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it is weird that the last page then says "daughter of kaido", im hoping thats just a weird fanlation thing if the character is indeed supposed to be read as trans since like... what the gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Countblanc posted:

it is weird that the last page then says "daughter of kaido", im hoping thats just a weird fanlation thing if the character is indeed supposed to be read as trans since like... what the gently caress

never forget the 'power of the blacks'

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah until we get the official translation I'm holding off on thinking too hard about how I don't like that intro card.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hes only technically transgender, the real headline here is that hes permanently cosplaying koizuki oden because he thinks hes the coolest person ever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh my god, Jimbei and Robin

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Things I do like about this chapter: Lola and her sister getting to see their dad, Luffy and Yamato getting away because they made so much of a mess, confirmation that the infiltration was actually successful, the double page spread of Law teleporting everyone onto the island (especially that fantastic perspective shot), Kiku and Izo reuniting, Nekumushi's loving GUN hand, and Yamato being a hardcore Oden fanboy while still using Dad's oni technique.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Eiba posted:

Yamato owns, and it's lovely and wholesome that everyone acknowledges him as Kaido's son.

Kinda lovely that the introduction pannel didn't... Oda's dropped the ball on related issues in the past so this may all end poorly, but no reason to get preemptively disapointed. For now it owns.

I just want to point out there's a spread this chapter of all the big villains: Kaidou, King, Queen, Jack, Orochi... and Fukurokuju, the secret police guy with the tall head.

And you know, Robin already had a run-in with him and it would make sense for her to take out the intelligence guy.

Though I guess he was also stated to be Raizo's ninja rival or something.

On that note, I'm really wondering about the fights this arc. If any arc could justify a bunch of one-on-one major fights its this one. But not only do we have an insane number of enemies- we have an insane number of allies. Are the samurai all going to get proper fights? I feel like Kinemon has earned one at least. If Kyros of all loving people got to take out one of Doflamingo's top guys, Kinemon should be doing something important. And besides the samurai you have Kidd, Law, Marco, the minks... Who's going to be left over for the Strawhats to actually fight?

Or rather, there are definitely enough people for everyone to fight someone interesting, but how many chapters are going to be dedicated to shounen duels?

I'm not super into fights in general, but I'm very interested to see how this all pans out.

I assume the Flying Six except probably Drake will go against the straw hats, Sanji gets Queen, Zoro gets King, and a strong breeze defeats Jack.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Chapter Ruled The Yamato stuff is like, yeah it probably will end up being some pretty half baked fantasy plot junk in the end, but right now all we know about him is that he's a guy and everyone around him treats him as such so there's no reason not to when talking about the manga as well. Doesn't hurt anyone just to go with it in the moment even if it is not Wiki Confirmed Gender Gospel yet.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I assume the Flying Six except probably Drake will go against the straw hats, Sanji gets Queen, Zoro gets King, and a strong breeze defeats Jack.

I want Franky to fight Queen but that would be too funky.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly all of the All Stars are a bit hard to place. As they all use swords, among other things.

I am personally thinking that Luffy will fight one of them as well. And Kaido will be a team fight.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

My main takeaway from all of this is that i want to play as Yamato in the next Warriors game.

also gun garfield

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly all of the All Stars are a bit hard to place. As they all use swords, among other things.

I am personally thinking that Luffy will fight one of them as well. And Kaido will be a team fight.
Luffy vs Queen maybe, since they interacted a bit already, and Queen seems like the most well developed of the All Stars? Marco vs King sky battle? Minks vs Jack revenge match?

Luffy beating Kaido himself one on one is hard to imagine. A team fight would be really neat and would make more sense with the implied levels of strength so far. Perhaps a team fight where Kaido "beats" everyone, but is tired and weakened somehow, but then Luffy gets up to have a final exhausted one on one finale. I don't know if a scenario like that would "require" Luffy to have his own private fight first.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I mean this is pretty much why I'm thinking it's just his daughter since it says it right there on the tin

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I mean this is pretty much why I'm thinking it's just his daughter since it says it right there on the tin

Yamato isn't going to be trans, she's presented post-reveal as a hot chick with side titty

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Parrotine posted:

The only things which matter are the pronouns and gender Yamato uses themself. We don't know pronouns yet (and Japanese can make that a little tricky to determine anyway) but they have clearly stated they became a man. That takes precedence over whatever some narration text states.

jassa fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 4, 2020

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yamato seems like possibly going with the kind of weird Man's Romance type thing rather than being trans. It's also quite possible that we're getting an incorrect framing and everyone has been using some manner of Japanese non-gendered pronouns the whole time. Numbers and non-gendered pronouns are two of the most common translation gently caress ups.

We'll have to wait for Franky to show up to know for sure. If his robotic shtick makes Yamoto's eyes sparkle, then that's a man.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

jassa posted:

The only things which matter are the pronouns and gender Yamato uses themself. We don't know pronouns yet (and Japanese can make that a little tricky to determine anyway) but they have clearly stated they became a man. That takes precedence over whatever some narration text states.

Or, again, maybe it's just a woman who wants to inherit the will of the man she admires the most. Seriously y'all are reading way too hard into this, it seems pretty cut and dry with Oda pulling a simple plot twist. Can't just dismiss the clear label because it doesn't fit your argument, she became a man in spirit, not made a physical transition here.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Parrotine posted:

Or, again, maybe it's just a woman who wants to inherit the will of the man she admires the most. Seriously y'all are reading way too hard into this, it seems pretty cut and dry with Oda pulling a simple plot twist. Can't just dismiss the clear label because it doesn't fit your argument, she became a man in spirit, not made a physical transition here.

Again, all that matters is how Yamato identifies. You don't need to physically transition to be trans, and labels used by others don't invalidate those you use for yourself. Yamato is a man unless they clarify otherwise.

I am trans and have lived experience in this.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I mean, it's pretty explicit. "I thought you said you were Kaido's son?" "Oden was a man, so I become a man too."

He's not saying, "I became Oden." He's saying he became a man.

You may think his reasons for transitioning are dumb, but the dude said he was a man. That's kind of the end of the story to anyone who's not an rear end in a top hat.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Parrotine posted:

Character: I became a man. Character's father: character is my son. Goons: HMM I DUNNO GUYS I THINK THEY'RE A GIRL.

Also, nobody has said he physically became a man. People are saying he identifies as one, and thus is a man. You can be trans without having any kind of surgery or hormonal therapy.

Speaking which, let's get Ivankov on the scene already!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Eiba posted:

You may think his reasons for transitioning are dumb, but the dude said he was a man. That's kind of the end of the story to anyone who's not an rear end in a top hat.

:yeah:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Today Parrotine learns about trans people

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
hrm...that dance king is doing...its familiar...but i dont know why. i have 1000000% seen that dance before though.....

also yamato is a man because he said he is. shut it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 4, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AkumaHokoru posted:

hrm...that dance king is doing...its familiar...but i dont know why. i have 1000000% seen that dance before though.....

also yamato is a man because he said he is. shut it.

Reminder to use spoiler tags for information about the fanscanlation until the official english translation drops on Sunday

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1279154630245486593?s=19

You have my attention now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Yamato's big introduction post-reveal is that of a hot chick with side titty. they're probably not trans, folks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Having a guess at

Luffy = brazilian
Zoro = Japanese
Sanji = French
Nami = swedish
Usopp = kenyan
franky = austrian
chopper = canadian or american
brook = russian
robin = canadian/american

I love they've used luffy's lovely jolly roger design

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jose posted:

Having a guess at

Luffy = brazilian
Zoro = Japanese
Sanji = French
Nami = swedish
Usopp = kenyan
franky = austrian
brook = russian

Close - in an SBS oda said those are the real world nationality of the straw hats. But brook was Austrian, chopper was Canadian, Robin was Russian, and franky was American. If they actually went that route for casting it'd be cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jose posted:

Having a guess at

Luffy = brazilian
Zoro = Japanese
Sanji = French
Nami = swedish
Usopp = kenyan
franky = austrian
brook = russian

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Excuse me, Africa is not a country. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can’t see live action Chopper being anything but terrifying. That said I feel like putting in every Straw Hat in the first season would be too much. I think it’d be better to just do the first five and roughly adapt the East Blue saga.