Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hunt11 posted:

There is one abnormality that does that so as long as you know what to avoid you should be good.

Ooookay, is there a mod that removes the jumpscares then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'd say there are two. You could write down their numbers and avoid ever selecting them, or read their details on the wiki so you know how to avoid triggering them.

F-01-18 lets out a loud shriek when its counter reaches 0, like as a penalty for poorly managing it.
O-05-47 causes sudden screen effects when you click on it, and if you click on it several times in a row the game's director yells at you a little.

There aren't any unavoidable scares as part of the story.

e: added spoiler tags, sorry

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 2, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
-47 isn't really even a jumpscare, since you are LITERALLY pushing a button that tells you not to push it. It's just -18, and honestly I didn't realize it was a jumpscare because it was mostly a nonevent.

...I did get jumpscared by unlocking Rudolta's information, though. That thing is creepy. :ohdear:

Sadly, I am not aware of any mods that remove jumpscares.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Nothing There is loving creepy as hell but there's really not that much image-based shock horror at all

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I'm a huge wuss so I'll be sure to let the thread know if anything manages to jumpscare me. So far though we're all good on that front. Which is a relief since I also can't stand jumpscares.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Violet Noons aside, there are no real jumpscares that I've encountered. On top of that, there is a pause button you can push at any time and reseting a day is totally normal and expected. Also the Violet Noon is more of a one time "I have no idea what this is going to be." thing than any actual jump scare.

Aka, even if you get jump scared once into half your employees dying as you recover, you can restart the day knowing it is coming and do fine. Or just memory repository and skip that abnormality entirely, like everyone else has said.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, (from what I gathered in this page) is it just the one monster (I am trying not to find out more than I want to know here), and only if you poorly manage it? Also, isn't avoiding it kind of moot if you need to get information on it eventually for the 100% ending or whatever sort of completion?

For comparisons sake, the jump scares in the Mortal Kombat Krypts in 9-11 kind of spoil the experience for me. As long as we are not dealing with that. (EDIT: You know what, I probably should have led with this. Sorry.)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 2, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
That's pretty much it, yeah. It only jumpscares when its QC hits 0, and it's... honestly not even much of a scare. I've had it go off before and I completely just failed to notice anything happened at all. It's not really FNAF-esque or anything.

Not familiar with MK Krypts, but I hope that information helps.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Unlucky7 posted:

So, (from what I gathered in this page) is it just the one monster (I am trying not to find out more than I want to know here), and only if you poorly manage it? Also, isn't avoiding it kind of moot if you need to get information on it eventually for the 100% ending or whatever sort of completion?

For comparisons sake, the jump scares in the Mortal Kombat Krypts in 9-11 kind of spoil the experience for me. As long as we are not dealing with that. (EDIT: You know what, I probably should have led with this. Sorry.)

having done two early game playthroughs, the most surprised you'll get is when suddenly a Sephirot is chastising you for some of your agents dying and then you glance down at the info feed and see like 5 people dead. Then you kind of just sigh and hit restart day (if you know what caused it) or slowly pan over to see what just bit you in the rear end so you can learn not to let that happen again (if you don't know what caused it.) Very chill game overall, the stress simply comes from praying the spinning plates don't fall on your head.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I just saw my first Green Dusk. Well that is certainly an escalation. :stare:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Green Dusk certainly was an ordeal alright. I only managed to lose one person to it, but I wouldn’t say it was easy.

As for jump scares, having abnormalities transform and escape could possibly qualify as a jumpscare, but it’s not like that’s going to happen often and it’s not really scary in a jumpscare sense. The abnormality that the others have mentioned is a jumpscare and is creepy cause you can hear it whenever your screen hovers over it. I hate that abnormality.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah i think I'm just gonna hope for an Amber or Crimson Dusk tomorrow as those seem infinitely easier to deal with.

It's interesting how Green is the only color with a full progression from Dawn to Midnight. The other three colors are missing steps along the way.

PlasticAutomaton fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 2, 2020

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Admittedly the (purposefully) cartoony graphics do help a little with keeping some of the horror from getting too gruesome and disturbing even when some of the Abnormalities are really messed up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've just beaten a Midnight!!! Three agents dead, but it doesn't matter because it was for a mission.

Danakir posted:

Admittedly the (purposefully) cartoony graphics do help a little with keeping some of the horror from getting too gruesome and disturbing even when some of the Abnormalities are really messed up.

O-03-89 is great :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Here’s a painful lesson I learned: if you have O-04-84 and they end up in a hallway with only one exit, never send someone to work it who only has a melee weapon.

I was near the end of a day working King of Greed and CENSORED when Meat Lantern melted down and proceeded to set itself up in the hallway with only one exit and my character working it had a melee weapon. Needless to say that they died and I had to start the day all over again :negative:.

I think I’m slightly mad having O-04-84 and T-04-53 in the same facility.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Oh boy, looks like the core suppressions are coming.

Malkuth, Yesod and Hod activated at the same time, which is a bit of an oh god moment. Should I just do them in the order of Malkuth, Yesod then Hod or is there a benefit of doing them another way? I have You Must Be Happy so Hod lowering my stats seems a bit redundant and Malkuth is just noting what each action changes to if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, they aren't too hard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

Malkuth, Yesod and Hod activated at the same time, which is a bit of an oh god moment. Should I just do them in the order of Malkuth, Yesod then Hod or is there a benefit of doing them another way? I have You Must Be Happy so Hod lowering my stats seems a bit redundant and Malkuth is just noting what each action changes to if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, they aren't too hard.

I go with Hod first as that makes recruiting new employees a lot cheaper as they all start with 3s in every stat.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

When doing them, I do Malkuth first for bonus LOB, then yesod for faster personal PE box generation for faster weapon unlocks. Then I do Hod for the bonus to character creation. Which one is best for you to do first depends on your priorities tbh, I only put off Hod so long because i have so many strong agents on tap already.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

If this is both a point of no return and Bad Ending territory to me, I'm going to be annoyed, game: I've just hit day 46, and this is looking like home stretch. I have missed Hokma's Meltdown, even doing everything as soon as it was available.

Do I have to reset to day 1?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

If this is both a point of no return and Bad Ending territory to me, I'm going to be annoyed, game: I've just hit day 46, and this is looking like home stretch. I have missed Hokma's Meltdown, even doing everything as soon as it was available.

Do I have to reset to day 1?

You're going to be annoyed. If you don't alternate expanding the two departments in the bottom layer you aren't able to do one of their suppressions which will prevent you from finishing the game. Since you're on day 46 your only choice is a restart.

It got me too :shobon:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you need [spoilers]100% codex completion for the true ending[/spoilers] so i'm pretty sure at least one day 1 restart is required for everyone, regardless of how they handle the bottom layer

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

On the topic of Library of Ruina, I realised that there are some fun titles to be had.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The music for the floor added today is hilarious

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am on day 8 and I have a question about the Punishing Bird Abnormality: How do I handle when if it escapes? I had that happen once and I thought from the manager info it would go away if I left it along, but it was several good minutes until I got tired and tired attacking (Don't know what I expected, honestly). I looked up the wiki and it made it sound like I had to have it target an employee first, then if I left it alone it would return on its own. However, how do I keep my employees from automatically attacking the thing (And keep it from going killer rabbit) when it enters the room? Or at least that is how I thought it was supposed to work; I thought I saw somewhere that employees automatically suppress any Abnormalities or ordeals if they move into their room, but I can't find where I thought I saw that in the manual

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Your employees don't auto-target that one, so you can literally just ignore it and it'll fix itself eventually.

You probably saw that thing about agents automatically suppressing things in my mechanics talk somewhere, and that abnormality is one of the rare exceptions to this rule.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Boy Central Department has been... fun.

Memory Imprint with Crumbling Armor and Red Shoes, fine, Red Shoes can be ignored for the most part and Crumbling Armor's actively useful to my agents at this point.
Day 22 got me the piano, along with the Shelter. Second WAW and an ignorable tool. Okay good.

Then came day 23. Melting Love and Almost There. God I wish they hadn't come together. Almost There at this point is completely manageable and would have been a great way to get my first Aleph weapon, but Melting Love's gimmick is awful, her design is awful, and my only option to handling her was to have 1 agent staff a department with two Alephs right next to each other after all the clerks self destructed into slimes.
Day 24 had Meat Lantern I worked it exactly once, it immediately escaped, and I said gently caress it I am not dealing with this. and Behavioral Adjustment. Fortunately, I managed to work out a plan to get both their suits before slamming back to the memory repository on day 25.

Then I saw all the stuff on Day 25 :stare: Boy this game really ramps up. :stare:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ATAB: All Trees Are Bastards that want me to pay attention to them in a game where attention deficit kills you.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
So about T-01-31 aka The Silent Orchestra...

Is there any reliable way to deal with Abnormalities that only behave themselves if you get an 'average' result like this one? They're insanely obnoxious to handle since even being careful to pick agents with only mediocre capabilities it's still easy to get lucky or unlucky and suddenly you've got a breach. Even knowing the gimmick, it just feels really hard to do anything about it. Which is especially annoying since it takes away all your energy if it gets to the fourth movement which I don't have enough DPS just yet to prevent that from happening.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So about the update for Library of Ruina: Does anyone knows what Gebura’s The Red Mist does?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

So about the update for Library of Ruina: Does anyone knows what Gebura’s The Red Mist does?

According to some data miners, it only unlocks at page level 90, which we don't have access to yet. some people seem to think that it changes the greatsword into Mimicry

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Can someone explain the bracelet to me? I thought I understood it: It will instakill if you pick it up with full health, put it back with less than full health, or if you wear it too long at full health. But the last three attempts I've made have ended with my agent dying, even after waiting for them to get to full health. AMybe my agent was missing an invisible .03 health or something?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay so the bracelet does not insta kill at full health. It will kill if you put it back with less than full or hold it long enough to overheal. If you're looking to get the info, just have a full health agent pick it up, hold it for 20 seconds or so and put it back. Repeat till codex is full. the rest of the time? Ignore it except for a meltdown, where you just have an agent pick it up and put it back immediately.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay so the bracelet does not insta kill at full health. It will kill if you put it back with less than full or hold it long enough to overheal. If you're looking to get the info, just have a full health agent pick it up, hold it for 20 seconds or so and put it back. Repeat till codex is full. the rest of the time? Ignore it except for a meltdown, where you just have an agent pick it up and put it back immediately.

Thank you. Got through the day just fine, going to continue to follow that advice.

Information team open now, first choice was Today's shy look, O-03-60, or F-01-02, and while O-03-60 can breach, Shy look allows for training anything, if you're willing to pause/pay attention. O-03-60 showed up the next day as well, alongside T-05-51 and the wee witch. Going to be low on breachers, but oh boy, the firepower!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah Laetitia's one of the best HE's you can get early. Her gear is amazing, and she is extremely low maintenance.

Still mad I forgot that weapons in your inventory you get on the same day will be saved, really should have actually played day 25 out and tried to pick up Melting Love and Almost There's weapons before backing out but I did not want to deal with Melting Love any longer after getting its suit on day 24.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just to check, when it comes to the mission involving Aleph abnormalities, you can't just subdue the same one again and again right?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Just to check, when it comes to the mission involving Aleph abnormalities, you can't just subdue the same one again and again right?

Three different ALEPHs. :unsmigghh:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Danakir posted:

So about T-01-31 aka The Silent Orchestra...

Is there any reliable way to deal with Abnormalities that only behave themselves if you get an 'average' result like this one? They're insanely obnoxious to handle since even being careful to pick agents with only mediocre capabilities it's still easy to get lucky or unlucky and suddenly you've got a breach. Even knowing the gimmick, it just feels really hard to do anything about it. Which is especially annoying since it takes away all your energy if it gets to the fourth movement which I don't have enough DPS just yet to prevent that from happening.

Unfortunately there isn't any convenient trick, it really is just luck. The first time I got it I had to mem repo it away. The next time was much later, when I had enough good gear to just dogpile it as the second movement began. If you have to get rid of it, obviously try to get its gear before you do. Pretty sure that if you mem repo in the middle of a workday it saves exactly what you have at that moment, and it can't take its unique boxes away from you. ;)

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

lets hang out posted:

Unfortunately there isn't any convenient trick, it really is just luck. The first time I got it I had to mem repo it away. The next time was much later, when I had enough good gear to just dogpile it as the second movement began. If you have to get rid of it, obviously try to get its gear before you do. Pretty sure that if you mem repo in the middle of a workday it saves exactly what you have at that moment, and it can't take its unique boxes away from you. ;)

Yeah, so what I ended up doing was dogpiling it and beating it in the middle of the third movement over and over until I got everything. I didn't have enough black damage to handle it in the second movement. Turns out the trick was grabbing literally everyone with acceptable Prudence and giving them Black/White damage EGO. Then I did a mem repo cuz screw this noise. I'm not mobilizing all the departments for one Abnormality.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

This is me with 90% of the tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Decided to play one more day, got a lot of stats (nice), and my choices are O-04-08, O-01-15, and T-04-06. Took the latter since the other two seem.... temperamental and deadly. Might do a day 1 reset after getting to day ~12/13 though, to get more research and gear, since I'm just not really getting anything that can breach, and a few are a bit difficult to deal with, and are mostly good for training a single stat.