Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Bremen posted:

Well, Star Traders isn't really M&B style. It's very much its own thing. But if you haven't played New Vegas I'd definitely recommend it, it's probably my favorite game ever (checks) 321 hours played, I actually thought it would be more.

New Vegas was the closest I actually got to beating a Fallout game. That was cause I actually enjoyed the story and set up. I only have a measly 137 hours, but that's not including my original install of it, I bought it on steam for super cheap later on. Probably closer to 300 in all. Get ready for crashes though.

Here is another fun game:

Pon* Island - 9QQ9I-7W8WG-GMWT* (hint: it's a Y)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Mummy Demastered is a game that I was hyped to play based on glowing reviews of it, and a cool sounding concept. I’m a big fan of Wayforward’s work.

It’s a dogshit game. Absolutely excruciating to play. The enemy placement and design are unforgivable. An abject disappointment, it’s frankly shocking that they saw it as fit to release- and apparently I played the improved patched version!
welp! I played it two nights ago and loved it. excruciating is not how i would describe it. i am generally not a huge fan of wayforward's games (i liked mighty switch force, and shantae and the pirate's curse is probably the closest that series gets to 'enjoyable') but I liked mummy demastered a lot

they condensed the things i like about past WF games (the run & gun, the copious health/ammo upgrades, the movement, the music) into a tight 3~ hour package. i also preferred the map design in Mummy to the Shantae series as Shantae trends too far towards Wonder Boy but without rewarding-feeling exploration, while Mummy sticks to a tried and true SOTN-style map of 'zones', and plenty of map pickups, so you always know if it's worth hanging around the current area, backtracking, or just moving forward

e: trying to think of a better WF licensed movie/TV game... you'd probably have to go back as far as Aliens: Isolation for the DS in 2011 at minimum

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 4, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Here is another fun game:

Ponies, uh. Thanks for reminding me I had a spare key for that as well, so Island Ponies:

CJFHG-R2*X*-XREHN

Jesus Christ. He wouldn't want you playing this degenerate game, but those are his initials right there on the code.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Few pages back now but this is a troll post right? Control was one of my favourite games from 2019, it looks amazing, has an interesting story that's a bit different, and the combat is fun when you make use of the tools it gives you rather than playing it like a generic cover shooter

hwurmp was so awful at Control and so mad about his awfulness that reading his posts on the game brought back nostalgic memories of chibisoma

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it was a really bad post

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Pony Island is actually a pretty good game. I was thinking of replaying it the other day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That laundry list of Control issues is a bit weird but I saw it as a Remedy status quo so also finding it hard to recommend. Really awesome story concept stretched out over gameplay that seems rad at first and turns into slogging against HP bars.

I don't know what I'm expecting, it's been a slog since the original Max Payne. Just write machinima miniseries Remedy, I bet it'd sell on streaming.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought Void Bastards was very shallow and repetitive, but it's still one of the better ones on the list if you don't get many picks. Just don't believe what the Steam page says - it's not anything like Bioshock or System Shock, except in that it's FPS-based.

Yeah Void Bastards is a decent Roguelite but I still “only” got ~25 hours out of it before I felt like I could put it down and never pick it up again. Which, for a normal game, would be perfectly fine. And honestly it still IS perfectly fine...but when viewed through the lens of Roguelites, where I’ll frequently play 100+ hours of something and keep reinstalling it over a period of years, maybe it’s not such a deep game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ace Combat 7 is some incredibly tacky game about planes that go fast and dumb metal gear esque faux politics and I love all of it so far.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

A little late to the party but I've felt both sides of the argument regarding Heat Signature in my time playing it. It's very easy for the game to turn into a slog, and the full length of the campaign is entirely too much. There's also an awkward stretch in the middle where because of the scaling difficulty, you might end up with just mission after mission of armored enemies before you happen to have randomly gotten or been able to work your way to a node to unlock armor-piercing weapons. But, if you can push yourself to unlock the good stuff and start leaning into more difficult missions, challenge runs, or using disadvantaged random characters the game becomes a hair-raising riot. With the right loadout you can pull off ghost missions without a second thought (extreme-range key copiers are your best friend). It can still begin to feel like routine but you're never not at risk of dicking something up.

There's also the never-explained and practically unknown feature of dogfighting. To be fair it's not something I'd normally recommend, as it requires you to take a mission, sneak onto, fully neutralize and hijack a ship that isn't your target, and fly that to your target ship to shoot the hell out of it. Although once I used it to blow up the escape teleporter room for an assassination target and he was like two rooms over when I snuck onto the ship from the newly created hole.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Saoshyant posted:

Ponies, uh. Thanks for reminding me I had a spare key for that as well, so Island Ponies:

Jesus Christ. He wouldn't want you playing this degenerate game, but those are his initials right there on the code.

snagged, thanks. somone already snagged Chet / ScentOfAnOtaku's

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone tried Terminator: Resistance?
It looks like it should be poo poo, but seems to have positive reviews.
Wondering if any goons here have played it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought it was extremely average and bland, I refunded it after about an hour.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Kragger99 posted:

Civvie11 thought it was decent, and that the devs actually cared about the source material.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kragger99 posted:

Civvie did a good take/review of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVEpyXTIGg
Tl;dr is that it actually captures the feel of the fights from the first two movies, despite being on a shovelware budget.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a weird question, don't know exactly the right place to put it. I want to stream Trackmania, not really expecting literally anyone to tune in. I also like listening to garbage on Spotify. I couldn't figure out how to capture only game audio in Twitch's software. Will I get like copyright strikes for just going ahead and broadcasting everything?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and run those by my group.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a weird question, don't know exactly the right place to put it. I want to stream Trackmania, not really expecting literally anyone to tune in. I also like listening to garbage on Spotify. I couldn't figure out how to capture only game audio in Twitch's software. Will I get like copyright strikes for just going ahead and broadcasting everything?

I believe most streaming software will capture all of your computer's audio as one source by default, so if you don't want to mess with settings you're probably out of luck. The "correct" alternative is to download something like Voicemeter Banana and set up different "virtual audio cables" to set up different outputs which you can control. An "audio cable" for Trackmania (switched on), an "audio cable" for Spotify/other sounds (muted).

However, the easiest solution I have for you issssssss hook up your head/earphones to a phone and listen to spotify from there? Also counts if your speakers can have multiple inputs

I'm not really an audio expert, just a guy who has hosts the occasional stream so if I said something wrong please correct me!

Also, maybe you could try asking the quick audio questions megathread

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I’ve had Rinworld on my wishlist for years, I should just stop being scared and get it right?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Harry Privates posted:

I’ve had Rinworld on my wishlist for years, I should just stop being scared and get it right?

This is the first time I've seen any discount on it, though it's worth noting you can get a combo DRM-free and Steam key if you get it full price off their website.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Artelier posted:

I believe most streaming software will capture all of your computer's audio as one source by default, so if you don't want to mess with settings you're probably out of luck. The "correct" alternative is to download something like Voicemeter Banana and set up different "virtual audio cables" to set up different outputs which you can control. An "audio cable" for Trackmania (switched on), an "audio cable" for Spotify/other sounds (muted).

However, the easiest solution I have for you issssssss hook up your head/earphones to a phone and listen to spotify from there? Also counts if your speakers can have multiple inputs

I'm not really an audio expert, just a guy who has hosts the occasional stream so if I said something wrong please correct me!

Also, maybe you could try asking the quick audio questions megathread

I saw people mentioning Voicemeter Banana when I did a quick Google before posting that, that'll probably be the route I go? I just continued playing music and actually had at least a viewer the whole time so whatever. Thanks!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK we're halfway through this thing, I want to throw in some recs:

THUMPER Thumper is a horror rhythm game. And I mean that truly. It's dark and beating like the black heart of a rotting god. You're a little beetle. Survive. Currently $6

Zigguraut - Remember Heretic? Now it's a first-person roguelike. It's six years old and it was an indie game then, but it's still satisfying to go back to those days. Also less than $4!

Space Tyrant - I've always bounced hard off the unapproachable learning cliff of 4X games, but Space Tyrant is a much, much slimmed down version that has (of course) a card-and-mana system. It also has some of the most shamelessly entertaining "Bad Guy" writing in a while. $4

Yoku's Island Express - You're a beetle. You deliver mail to people on the island. You have a little confetti party horn you can blow. Imagine Donkey Kong Country's mood and music but as a pinball game. It's less weird than it sounds, it's pure joy to play and it is also $4.

The Dweller - I've gushed about this game several times. It is a little over an hour long, you play as an ancient god protecting your crumbled temples from Indiana Jones-like interlopers. It's fifty cents!

FutureGrind - Finally, FutureGrind is the game I always wished that Trials was. It's the most fun part of every Tony Hawk game (finding grind lines and doing tricks when you transfer) in a chill cyberpunk setting with great music and a goofy, forgettable story. It's $2.50!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah Void Bastards is a decent Roguelite but I still “only” got ~25 hours out of it before I felt like I could put it down and never pick it up again. Which, for a normal game, would be perfectly fine. And honestly it still IS perfectly fine...but when viewed through the lens of Roguelites, where I’ll frequently play 100+ hours of something and keep reinstalling it over a period of years, maybe it’s not such a deep game.

I have 75 hours in it and will probably do another hard bastard run or two down the line. void bastards is great.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zetsubou's list o' games that he thinks are rather neat that are also on sale RIGHT NOW! - part 4

Space Colony - $3.74 (-75%) - remastered version of a fun base-builder from 2003
Spacechem - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle game about space and chems
Spirits of Xanadu - $0.89 (-82%) - explore a spaceship after something happened to the previous crew
Super House of Dead Ninjas - $0.69 (-90%) - fast-paced action arcade homage to the 16-bit era
System Shock 2 - $2.49 (-75%) - a classic sci-fi horror game. Go play this, or are you just a pathetic creature of meat and bone?
The Ball - $2.49 (-75%) - physics puzzle game with massive ball
The Dweller - $0.49 (-90%) - puzzle game about eating archeologists
They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
This Starry Midnight We Make - $1.99 (-80%) - simulation puzzler about guiding the growth of celestial objects
Thomas Was Alone - $4.99 (-50%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
TIS-100 - $3.49 (-50%) - because spacechem and infinifactory didn't melt your brain: program a lost microcomputer in a cut down version of assembly
Toki Tori 2+ - $1.49 (-90%) - puzzle platformer with birb
Tomb of Tyrants - $2.71 (-66%) - Dungeon Keeper if it was a match-3 type game
Towers of Altrac - $1.67 (-44%) - a solid TD game, with 3 campaigns full of lengthy missions
Train Valley - $1.49 (-85%) - puzzle game, choo choo!
Tribloos 2 - $2.49 (-50%) - a fine time-management type game
Unholy Heights - $2.39 (-40%) - cute apartment management sim / TDish game
Unium - $0.59 (-70%) - line-drawing puzzle game
Viktor - $0.79 (-90%) - a decent game with Megaman/Castlevania influences
WazHack - $3.99 (-60%) - pseudo-realtime side-on roguelike
Ziggurat - $2.99 (-80%) - first-person action roguelite
Zombillie - $0.49 (-90%) - a spoopy themed variant on the classic Snake game
Filament - $11.38 (-33%) - a charming puzzle game around a core puzzle concept, IN SPACE
Iratus: Lord of the Dead - $20.99 (-30%) - Darket Dungeon but you're the unspeakable horror
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - $15.99 (-60%) - just a normal high school simulator

edit because I knew I had some more somewhere

Islanders - $1.99 (-60%) - chill strategy game about placing buildings to maximize your score
Magic Potion Destroyer - $4.99 (-50%) - follow-up game to Magic Potion Explorer
Magic Potion Explorer - $4.99 (-50%) - sorta-idle game where you have to constantly get stronger
Neon Chrome - $5.24 (-65%) - cyberpunk top-down mayhem
T H U M P E R - $5.99 (-70%) - the only way humanity can parse the endless battle between space beetles and cosmic horrors is via a rhythm game

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 4, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fanantical has some decent pick-and-mix bundles going on right now, too:

Highlights:
Strategy Bundle (3 for $3, 5 for $4, 7 for $5):
King of Dragon Pass
Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows
Space Rangers HD

Lockdown Bundle 2 (1 for $1, 5 for $3, 10 for $5):
Detention
Pathologic Classic

Platinum Collection (3 for $10):
Undead Horde
Sigma Theory
Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

RPG Bundle (3-$3, 5-$4, 7-$5):
Most of the King's Bounty series
Hard West
Rebel Galaxy
Unexplored

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Before I pull the trigger and get Planet Zoo, are there any better, older/indie-er tycoon games I should be considering as an alternative? The cute animals part is fine, but the big thing attracting me is the people who say it's a) well-balanced and difficult tycoon game, and b) has life-devouring levels of simulation and interacting moving parts.

Also I feel dumb asking this, but is Railway Empires a good game? I've seen so many train games that I assume they're all awful by default, but I'm also jones-ing for openttd-ish logistics games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Parkitect is supposed to be really excellent, although I haven't had the chance to buy and try it yet. It's a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon style game. Planet Zoo is purportedly a real disaster where you can't get new animals because the online market is an extortionate racket and even what few rare animals you can buy are almost guaranteed to be stunted, sterile runts so that you can't take the sellers' income from them. I would really read up on that carefully if you intend to buy it, the whole sounds like a horrible trainwreck from start to finish.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...oh my god, you're telling me they made a Tiger King tycoon game? That's the most amazing loving thing I've ever heard. (Not really, and I'm definitely looking into that and avoiding if true, but wow that's great synchronicity with real life.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

...oh my god, you're telling me they made a Tiger King tycoon game? That's the most amazing loving thing I've ever heard. (Not really, and I'm definitely looking into that and avoiding if true, but wow that's great synchronicity with real life.)
...you know, essentially speaking, that's pretty much exactly what they did. Not intentionally, but functionally that's more or less how the online functionality turned out. Since it's a pretty integral part of getting new animals so your zoo is fun and interesting to run (they're hard to get otherwise) it's actually a real problem and one of the most criticized things about it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

You know, that would be kind of brilliant if it was intentional. Like, I know one criticism I heard was that it presents an unambiguously sunny and positive portrayal of zoos at a time when they're catching flak for having shitloads of depressed, neurotic animals whose species straight-up can't healthily cope with captivity, and it'd be great if they had this happy-fun exterior set upon an intentionally dark and screwed-up foundation that you couldn't escape no matter how good of a park manager you were.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think they made some okay animals available through means other than the player market, and there's an offline mode available, but yeah that thing was... hilarious, unless you want to actually play the game instead of point and laugh from the sidelines.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That would be one hell of an impressive piece of performance art, yeah. It isn't, but it would've been.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh no I assume they wanted to make a functional game

what they actually made was comedy :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

Parkitect is supposed to be really excellent, although I haven't had the chance to buy and try it yet. It's a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon style game. Planet Zoo is purportedly a real disaster where you can't get new animals because the online market is an extortionate racket and even what few rare animals you can buy are almost guaranteed to be stunted, sterile runts so that you can't take the sellers' income from them. I would really read up on that carefully if you intend to buy it, the whole sounds like a horrible trainwreck from start to finish.

:capitalism:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

This is hilarious.

(Also, situation obviously needs some sort of "fuel rat" carebear organisation of players breeding and selling cheap healthy animals, undercutting the sharks)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy crap, I just realized what this game is missing- you know how every so often you see really, really stupid headlines along the lines of "Naked man found mauled to death in tiger cage, autopsy determined that his body contained nothing but alcohol"? A zoo tycoon game that required you to protect park guests from themselves would be hilarious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

hwurmp was so awful at Control and so mad about his awfulness that reading his posts on the game brought back nostalgic memories of chibisoma

if gitting gud could fix any of those things I wouldn't bitch about them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy crap, I just realized what this game is missing- you know how every so often you see really, really stupid headlines along the lines of "Naked man found mauled to death in tiger cage, autopsy determined that his body contained nothing but alcohol"? A zoo tycoon game that required you to protect park guests from themselves would be hilarious.
Zoo Keeper. It's the Bullfrog game that never got made.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

if gitting gud could fix any of those things I wouldn't bitch about them

I mean most of the things you said are factually incorrect but go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control is definitely the easiest game I've ever played that some people seem to have tremendous difficulty with. And it's not like there's some secret mechanical knowledge you need to have either, you can beat every encounter by... moving around and using all your abilities.