Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lord Bob posted:

Have you got any advice on which.. what to buy for this? I recently got a quest and dusted off my sad unused saitek x45 and have been looking for some vr flight sim action, and I see this is in the steam sale, but I'm not sure if that's the "right" il2: sturmovik, or what dlc is "essential"

Pick your favourite planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any idea why my rear index base station would refuse to go to sleep? Works perfectly otherwise.

Edit: v- but i don't wanna! Ugh.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 3, 2020

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Deviant posted:

Any idea why my rear index base station would refuse to go to sleep? Works perfectly otherwise.

Do a full power cycle on all of it and setup the process again.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://research.fb.com/blog/2020/07/introducing-neural-supersampling-for-real-time-rendering/

I guess this is one way a compute-limited system like quest could feed high resolutions panels. It's interesting where it fails because there just isn't enough detail to reconstruct the object, like DFALIN on the right wall.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can anybody who has a deeper understanding of graphics technology explain how this is different from Nvidia's DLSS 2.0? Seems like it combines the same basic ingredients of low resolution render and motion vectors, plus neural network.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is it a multiplayer sandbox or do you fight bots?

bots only

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If the latter, is the ai good?

i loving wish. it blows

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Deviant posted:

Edit: v- but i don't wanna! Ugh.

Make sure one of the base stations is in view of your headset and the base stations can see each other when exiting VR. If I stand in the center of my space and exit, one of the base stations gets left on because my head is blocking line of sight between them.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Thoom posted:

Can anybody who has a deeper understanding of graphics technology explain how this is different from Nvidia's DLSS 2.0? Seems like it combines the same basic ingredients of low resolution render and motion vectors, plus neural network.

It can upscale by a larger amount (16x) and doesn't require Nvidia hardware. I believe they also claim to have less artifacts, which is pretty important if you're using it for VR since any issues are much more apparent.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I have to wonder if the level of upscaling just reflects the size of the neural net involved. Nvidia's solution does a 4x upscale on a GTX 2060 at 60+ fps. Facebook's does a 16x upscale on a Titan V at 40fps.

Either solution probably requires some adaptation and specialized hardware to do at mobile scale.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

rage-saq posted:

Alyx has dynamic supersampling / quality settings based on performance and I’m afraid a 1070 is going to be a little low end for an Index on that game.
Set the headset to 80hz and lower your supersampling a bit, overclock your GPU, should help a little.

SirViver posted:

Make sure you have your Render Resolution set to 100% in the settings. Start SteamVR, click on the three bars in the SteamVR desktop notification window thingy, open Settings and in there set the Render Resolution from "Auto" to "Custom" and drag the slider to 100%:

You can also change this setting from the in-VR settings menu if you prefer that.

The "Auto" setting can sometimes apply downsampling if it at some point thought your performance was too low, which will lead to a blurry image. That said, a 1070 is really pushing it for "high end" VR games. You definitely shouldn't attempt to go above 90Hz with that, except maybe for really graphically simple games.

It's my friend's Index that I'm trying out. I wouldn't get a headset until after I get a 3080 (assuming it's good). Is setting the refresh rate not the same as setting your monitor to it's max? I saw 144 so assumed it should be there just like my monitor should be set to 165. How do you change supersampling?

Are the high end games the place where the Index shines? I haven't been as blown away by a $1000 toy as I'd like to be. I've played games on a Vive a bit and I feel like the primary VR wow factor is still there. Maybe games haven't caught up to the Index, but there will be better hardware by the time they do? Makes me think a Rift S or maybe this new HP would be the way to go with plans to upgrade like you would a GPU in four years.

edit: also the software side of the IPD overlay isn't showing up anymore. Can't see how to reenable.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 4, 2020

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Took the advice of this thread and added a battery pack to the back of my quest

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I finally got around to Audica since it was in the steam sale. I like it a lot. It's just as slick as you'd expect from a harmonix game. I really like how smooth the transition from menu to gameplay is. Feels very good to shoot the notes.

Only played the beginner difficulty so far, kinda feels like it won't have as long legs for me as BeatSaber does but mainly because it's less of a workout to play.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
If I buy a game on the desktop version of the Oculus store will that give me the ability to install it onto the Quest?

I'm asking because Superhot and Fruit Ninja are both on sale on the desktop app but still full price if I look on the quest. They're games I'd like to get on sale but I don't want to have to play them tethered to my PC if I don't have to. I can't find anything on the store that tells me either way.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Grashnak posted:

If I buy a game on the desktop version of the Oculus store will that give me the ability to install it onto the Quest?

I'm asking because Superhot and Fruit Ninja are both on sale on the desktop app but still full price if I look on the quest. They're games I'd like to get on sale but I don't want to have to play them tethered to my PC if I don't have to. I can't find anything on the store that tells me either way.

It depends on the game, and Superhot isn't one of the games with cross-buy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

WirelessPillow posted:

Took the advice of this thread and added a battery pack to the back of my quest

needs more zipties :colbert:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

I finally got around to Audica since it was in the steam sale. I like it a lot. It's just as slick as you'd expect from a harmonix game. I really like how smooth the transition from menu to gameplay is. Feels very good to shoot the notes.

Only played the beginner difficulty so far, kinda feels like it won't have as long legs for me as BeatSaber does but mainly because it's less of a workout to play.

https://twitter.com/LSToast/status/1224829201259384832?s=20

Audica has a far higher skill ceiling. That dudes a literal robot, but yeah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CreedVR is like $7.49 if anyone had it on their list.

The summer sale is a great time to get a lot of these VR games lol.

I picked up Skyrim VR for $17.99 (the 5th time I’ve bought this fucker) as well because well why not?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/LSToast/status/1224829201259384832?s=20

Audica has a far higher skill ceiling. That dudes a literal robot, but yeah.
That's nice and all but I prefer a VR rhythm game that's a moderate work out is all I'm saying. I'm not here for the hardest levels and highest scores, the only Rhythm game I ever cleared on the highest difficulty on was Ouendan cut me some slack.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

That's nice and all but I prefer a VR rhythm game that's a moderate work out is all I'm saying. I'm not here for the hardest levels and highest scores, the only Rhythm game I ever cleared on the highest difficulty on was Ouendan cut me some slack.

Definitely check out Synth Riders then. More of a "core" workout than sabers arm wiggling and IMO a better soundtrack by default.

Audica IS a workout at higher levels. Even before the insanity that is that clip. In fact, "All" Music games at the higher (When note density actually goes up enough to move more than a couple notes a second) end, are pretty comparable more so if you're dancing around to the music having a good time. :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I'm not clear on. With the Quest do you still not have to set up tracking bullshit around the room even if you use it for PCVR? because that seems like a big deal that I never really considered.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What do you mean "set up"? If you mean lighthouses and poo poo, no, there's none of that. If you mean just drawing a guardian, then yeah, you still have to do that. You can turn it off in the settings though, I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found good prices on both a Rift S and Quest a 128gb today on craigslist and the 64gb quest is back in stock if I want to buy it new, and I still have to buy/build a new PC and I'm like agh this is so stressful. I just want to get in on the PCVR poo poo so bad and have the best experience. Seems like you guys have throughly landed on quest over rift S though I should probably go that route. Just worried about comfort/getting a lesser experience or whatever.

Origami Dali posted:

What do you mean "set up"? If you mean lighthouses and poo poo, no, there's none of that. If you mean just drawing a guardian, then yeah, you still have to do that. You can turn it off in the settings though, I think.

Yes I meant lighthouses/cameras. basically anything you have to install around the room.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there is none of that.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I’m so happy with my quest, played alyx fine even though I got an old rear end computer with an average Gfx card (except I got gently caress all space, gently caress tiny London flats) and my god no one told me how amazing google earth is !

House of dying sun was a cool surprise since didn’t know it had vr till I loaded up steam vr

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, poo poo. I guess that seals the deal. thanks.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

veni veni veni posted:

Just worried about comfort/getting a lesser experience or whatever.

Yes I meant lighthouses/cameras. basically anything you have to install around the room.

The Rift S doesn't require anything set up around the room either, and it's more comfortable, has higher quality visuals, a faster refresh rate, better controller tracking, and lower latency.

If you want the best PCVR Oculus experience it's still the S. That said, some people don't mind the tradeoffs because they like the standalone experience of the Quest enough to offset that. I don't have a Quest, and do have a Rift S and I don't regret it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I found good prices on both a Rift S and Quest a 128gb today on craigslist and the 64gb quest is back in stock if I want to buy it new, and I still have to buy/build a new PC and I'm like agh this is so stressful. I just want to get in on the PCVR poo poo so bad and have the best experience. Seems like you guys have throughly landed on quest over rift S though I should probably go that route. Just worried about comfort/getting a lesser experience or whatever.

No wires no light house no camera. I had a psVR I was borrowing and honestly I stopped using it because of the hassle which is why I immediately bought a quest when I could

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, the Index is as one would expect, kinda incredible. Amazingly clear picture, great fit, very comfy, nice IPD adjustment slider and the cable is fairly non intrusive.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Any tips for benchmarking a PC setup for VR?

I recently put together a new MiniITX PC in a small case. Of relevance is
  • Ryzen 3600X CPU
  • Radeon X5700 GPU
  • 1 X Single channel 3200mhz 16GB Ram
  • NVM SSD
  • Playing on a Quest, via Link and Virtual Desktop

Thing is, my VR performance is... lacking. PC Games seem to handle whatever I throw at them, (at 1080p res, which is the resolution of my monitors) but VR seems pretty spotty and will reproject quite a bit.

I feel like I got comparatively similar / better frames with a i7, 1070 on 3 + year old work laptop I once had.

VR was literally unplayable until I rolled back to older drivers, (20.4) and now its... okay.

Games tried are:
  • No Mans sky: (Cannot achieve no reprojection, is only playable at everything set to low)
  • Half Life Alyx: Works, but constantly re projects every now and then, especially if opening the menu or using non teleport movement). This is consistent no matter the setting between low and ultra.
  • SuperHotVR - runs pretty smoothly except when completing one level / it is clearly loading the next one.

I was seriously hoping for a better result than this. Part of me thinks it could be the AMD card, and another thinks it might be video encoding on the GPU for the Quest... But I'd like to test some more things before I rule either as the culprit. CPU and GPU temps seem pretty stable, but it's hard to tell when you're wearing a headset.

I'm hoping to borrow another standalone headset from someone to rule out a video encoding issue on AMD cards.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Audica is essentially Ouendan but in VR - I got it on that basis and am not disappointed. I'm just starting to get up to the difficulties where it's starting to be a physical workout, it's definitely more of a mental workout than Beat Saber is so it takes more time to build up to that level but it's extremely fun to be there.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Theres a pretty big difference between tapping targets with a stylus on a tiny touchscreen and shoting targets with guns in fully immersive VR!

I like the game its great I just prefer the physicality of chopping boxes beatsaber over the abstracted pointing at targets in Audica. Its great if y'all think its the better rhythm game but like all I said is that I personally don't see myself playing it for as long as a game I've been consistently playing since I picked up a PSVR entirely because its not as easy to wear myself out in.

I've been eyeing synth riders for a while, it's on the list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Isometric Bacon posted:

Any tips for benchmarking a PC setup for VR?

I recently put together a new MiniITX PC in a small case. Of relevance is
  • Ryzen 3600X CPU
  • Radeon X5700 GPU
  • 1 X Single channel 3200mhz 16GB Ram
  • NVM SSD
  • Playing on a Quest, via Link and Virtual Desktop

Thing is, my VR performance is... lacking. PC Games seem to handle whatever I throw at them, (at 1080p res, which is the resolution of my monitors) but VR seems pretty spotty and will reproject quite a bit.

I feel like I got comparatively similar / better frames with a i7, 1070 on 3 + year old work laptop I once had.

VR was literally unplayable until I rolled back to older drivers, (20.4) and now its... okay.

Games tried are:
  • No Mans sky: (Cannot achieve no reprojection, is only playable at everything set to low)
  • Half Life Alyx: Works, but constantly re projects every now and then, especially if opening the menu or using non teleport movement). This is consistent no matter the setting between low and ultra.
  • SuperHotVR - runs pretty smoothly except when completing one level / it is clearly loading the next one.

I was seriously hoping for a better result than this. Part of me thinks it could be the AMD card, and another thinks it might be video encoding on the GPU for the Quest... But I'd like to test some more things before I rule either as the culprit. CPU and GPU temps seem pretty stable, but it's hard to tell when you're wearing a headset.

I'm hoping to borrow another standalone headset from someone to rule out a video encoding issue on AMD cards.

Steam has a Performance Test to see if your PC's ready for VR, give it a go just to see if it flags anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After more than a year, I finally put the second Lighthouse, which was on the front, too, from the hip high shelf up onto the wall. I think I hit better in Beat Saber now.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Mr Phillby posted:

Theres a pretty big difference between tapping targets with a stylus on a tiny touchscreen and shoting targets with guns in fully immersive VR!

I like the game its great I just prefer the physicality of chopping boxes beatsaber over the abstracted pointing at targets in Audica. Its great if y'all think its the better rhythm game but like all I said is that I personally don't see myself playing it for as long as a game I've been consistently playing since I picked up a PSVR entirely because its not as easy to wear myself out in.

I've been eyeing synth riders for a while, it's on the list.

Since you mentioned beating Ouendan i'm gonna step in and say I've beaten Ouendan 1, 2 and Elite Beat Agents. I think the first video I uploaded to youtube was beating Ouendan on the hardest difficulty.

Once you get into the rhythm of it Audica is pretty similar in what it's asking of you. The control paradigms are pretty similar, except now you have to have half-decent aim with guns.

Does anyone have the Audica season pass itt? Wondering if I should get it. It's not on sale but I've already gotten the games I've wanted anyway

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penpal posted:

Since you mentioned beating Ouendan i'm gonna step in and say I've beaten Ouendan 1, 2 and Elite Beat Agents. I think the first video I uploaded to youtube was beating Ouendan on the hardest difficulty.

Once you get into the rhythm of it Audica is pretty similar in what it's asking of you. The control paradigms are pretty similar, except now you have to have half-decent aim with guns.

Does anyone have the Audica season pass itt? Wondering if I should get it. It's not on sale but I've already gotten the games I've wanted anyway

Honestly if you like the music from any of the dlc it’s all pretty well mapped. Worth it imo.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Steam has a Performance Test to see if your PC's ready for VR, give it a go just to see if it flags anything.

Cheers for that suggestion, I gave it a shot.

I get a score of 11, very high, at the max end of the slider, and a message indicating that I am performing well above what is recommended. It looks effectively like this is the best you could get. This performance test is pretty old however - circa 2016, and I wonder if it's not up to snuff with modern stuff?

During the test my, I am using 25% of the CPU hitting about 60 °C, and 100% of the GPU averages around 70 °C with the Junction (hottest part) being 90 °C.

I feel once I plug in the headset and actually run something in VR, the performance of anything will plummet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Isometric Bacon posted:

I feel once I plug in the headset and actually run something in VR, the performance of anything will plummet.

The test is running the lab, at the right resolution for VR.

IF you're at a whole 25% cpu usage now, It'll be fine and framerates should hold. Just be aware that steam WILL set your resolution scale on auto, and it probably will be 150-160% if your hardwares that good.

Sooo get ready to kick that down, but yeah. poo poo should be great.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

EbolaIvory posted:

The test is running the lab, at the right resolution for VR.

IF you're at a whole 25% cpu usage now, It'll be fine and framerates should hold. Just be aware that steam WILL set your resolution scale on auto, and it probably will be 150-160% if your hardwares that good.

Sooo get ready to kick that down, but yeah. poo poo should be great.

Yeah. I've knocked down the resolution slider but I feel it doesn't do much difference in performance regardless of it's setting. Makes me think there's a software conflict or AMD driver issues.

:Edit: oh wait I see what you're saying, try the Lab as another data point against the performance test which uses similar assets. Cheers, I'll do so.

Found a new app - Are you ready for Valve Index and I also get a "YES" result. Though honestly if I'm struggling to keep up with the 70hz refresh rate for the Quest, I don't see how it will go for a 144hz index!

Next step is to borrow a standalone headset from someone and see if I get similar results to rule out any quest video encoding skullduggery.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 4, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah. I've knocked down the resolution slider but I feel it doesn't do much difference in performance regardless of it's setting. Makes me think there's a software conflict or AMD driver issues.

:Edit: oh wait I see what you're saying, try the Lab as another data point against the performance test which uses similar assets. Cheers, I'll do so.

Found a new app - Are you ready for Valve Index and I also get a "YES" result. Though honestly if I'm struggling to keep up with the 70hz refresh rate for the Quest, I don't see how it will go for a 144hz index!

Next step is to borrow a standalone headset from someone and see if I get similar results to rule out any quest video encoding skullduggery.

I feel like the computer isn’t the issue but there is something going on here

quote:

Playing on a Quest, via Link and Virtual Desktop

That’s causing it.

Just my 2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I’ve had the sound get choppy on SkyrimVR though the Link even- USB3 is still suprisingly limited.