Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
RoLo is on a mission

https://twitter.com/rolopez42/status/1278506701059248128?s=20

A few things have been posted in replies and I found a far off shot in this video (3:31 if the timestamp doesnt work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1wK4Q_FPdA&t=211s

What are the years that those kiosks existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wow, that looks cool.

https://twitter.com/29QuP2/status/1278360411708915712?s=20

Compare it to Harry Potter land.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
oh my god the spinning coins

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when Disney used to do cool poo poo like that instead of making fake mountains

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Am I missing something, or is there just one entry/egress, smaller than a typical path, into the area? That seems like a logistical nightmare.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Boxman posted:

Am I missing something, or is there just one entry/egress, smaller than a typical path, into the area? That seems like a logistical nightmare.

Hogsmeade is the same way. I don’t even recall the entrance being particularly well marked, either, so it’s entirely possible to walk past it and not figure out how to get to the Harry Potter zone.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe it's about as big as the Galaxys Edge tunnels. It's a warp pipe that takes you into Peach's Castle :3:

Although that big star in the ground, gonna say if you stare directly at the sun on it you'll probably just go blind and not be transported to a secret world.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd probably argue Disney has and still is doing cool poo poo like that. I think Galaxy's Edge, and to a lesser degree Pandora, all have a ton of nice immersive touches.
I don't wanna dish on Nintendo world because that poo poo looks sharp, but I think it's easy to lose sight of how much goes into immersive theming when most of what Disney has done is tried to bring a level of realism that you can't really accomplish with an IP like Mario.
I am legit impressed with that Universal has managed to put out since its about face with Harry Potter and I'd be really happy if they went through the rest of the park and revamped existing areas to bring them up to that level.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only thing that really gets me about Pandora is the floating mountains and the walk into Flight of Passage. The rest of the land is just kinda there.

And... that's building fake mountains.

I honestly couldn't care less about Galaxy's Edge after being in it. It's nice and it's great that star wars fans get it, but Disney is definitely in a "look at how awesome our fake rock work is" period.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When you realize that most of the plants in Pandora are fake and are all wired with lights... That's when you see the effort Disney puts into the details.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I'm trying to think of what Disney property has the level of "iconic stuff" they could cram into a land that Mario has.
I guess they could seriously plus up all the Toy Story lands?

Tokyo Disneyland gets the Beauty and the Beast stuff soon which should be solid, and I expect the full expansion coming to DisneySea will be amazing.
The only new domestic "land" coming soon is Avengers Campus, right?

The recent Disney stuff has been masterful, but not in a " ooohh I recognize that thing" sort of way. They made Batuu, not Tatooine.
They are going to have to have the Mandalorian visit Batuu. Hell, not just visit... have his home base be there for a full season.

I do think with respect to rides, Disney has been fantastic. Universal opened Hagrid's, which is great, but also Fast and Furious. Even Kong is a real let down. Disney has had some "meh" rides, but Flight of Passage and Rise are *great*.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mickey and Minnies railway too. And don’t underestimate the effect of the full size Millennium Falcon on people. I’ve seen a lot of people crying when they get to it. Overall agree though, universal does the theme and setting better but Disney nails the rides.

Pandora and Hagrids being the outlier in both cases.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Disney IT hosed up and charged everyone on the monthly plans for the four months the parks have been closed. Nice to see that $600+ charge today

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Omne posted:

Disney IT hosed up and charged everyone on the monthly plans for the four months the parks have been closed. Nice to see that $600+ charge today

Oh awesome. Great look, Disney.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Omne posted:

Disney IT hosed up

You don’t say

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To my mind Pandora is freakin amazing because it looks like a bunch of poo poo that shouldn’t survive in Florida. The plants are wholly made up, the floating rock things certainly don’t look built to stand against hurricanes, it feels like somewhere else and while of course it’s an IP land it’s subtle about it.

Disney World’s natural terrain can best be described as “plants that try to kill you overnight”, look just past the freshly cut lawns and it turns to jungle thick so suddenly that you can imagine cast members with machetes hacking the vines away from all the buildings each morning. So even something like Wilderness Lodge, which is based on a real life space and isn’t some Toontown or Nintendo surreal landscape, is something I can appreciate for succeeding in getting that Not Swampland vibe.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

I'm trying to think of what Disney property has the level of "iconic stuff" they could cram into a land that Mario has.

It's hard to think of another franchise period that has the level of iconic stuff that Mario has. The aesthetic and characters have been mostly locked in since 1990 when they introduced Yoshi. That's a long time for these things to stew. Star Wars had lightsabers, but theres still only 9 movies that feature them, separated by decades. Mario gets a new game every couple years. The consistent quality helps a lot too, obviously; I don't know the last time a game came out with Mario's face on it that was negatively received. One of the Party games?

Meanwhile, PALPATINE is talking poo poo in FORTNITE.

That being said, Pandora itself is iconic, which is extremely rad in its own way. Thanks to no one remembering Avatar super fondly, it feels less like you're standing in a facsimile of a cool place than that you're actually in a cool place. Which is doubtless why they made Batuu rather than Tatooine. Whether Black Spire Outpost really gets there is up for debate, I think.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 3, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TIL an Avatar-themed area opened in 2017. jfc, if there ever was a movie that didn't deserve it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hi, welcome to 2020, what's the rent like on "under rock" properties these days?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

TIL an Avatar-themed area opened in 2017. jfc, if there ever was a movie that didn't deserve it.

hey, they were banking on it opening alongside the very real and definitely still going to be released 5 sequels :v:

what's even wilder still is that it's arguably disneys best expansion of the 2010s

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

okay but it replaced loving camp minnie mickey with a super fun and pretty ride that makes you go "WEEE!" really loud and a decent QS restaurant.

And whatever the gently caress navi river journey is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

If you look around theme park world you’ll find that quality/relevance of underlying IP doesn’t make an attraction/land good. Some of the best attractions are based on no IP at all.

If u wanna dunk on Disney for Pandora the world of Avatar the best way is to point out how it was their response to Harry Potter and that the sequels never came out. Or to bring up how a big reason the line is still so long for FoP is because of a design flaw that causes the ride vehicles to overheat so they can’t run at full capacity.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

okay but it replaced loving camp minnie mickey with a super fun and pretty ride that makes you go "WEEE!" really loud and a decent QS restaurant.

And whatever the gently caress navi river journey is.

Flight of Passage is good enough to justify the entire existence of Pandora by itself.

The wait is excruciating, but still worth waiting through at least once.

Edit: Flight of Passage is so good that it actually retroactively makes the movie better.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 4, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

navi river journey is fine, I like the pretty lights/bioluminescence and cool animatronics

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

the very real and definitely still going to be released 5 sequels :v:

I'd like to take this moment to mention that The Abyss still hasn't been remastered, and that's sad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fame Douglas posted:

The original Disneyland castle was created as a promotional item for a movie that wasn't finished/released yet. Things don't necessarily "deserve" poo poo, and it's managers telling the architects and designers that the values of intellectual property dictate what goes in that causes things to falter and then you end up with poo poo like Disneyland's Pixar Pier, where a long-troubled area of the park got themed to Pixar movies. Not a specific Pixar movie, just a carnival of all things Pixar; because Ed Catmull demands no less than 25 acres of Walt's space-limited orange grove be devoted to his legacy. They didn't even build anything new, just redecorated the old, because the demolition of A Bug's Land to make a Marvel area means Ed is owed some more motherfucking acres goddamnit.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 4, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did t know that about the castle. What movie?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

navi river journey is fine, I like the pretty lights/bioluminescence and cool animatronics

My take is that if the ride were probably twice as long it would be hailed as a masterpiece. I get what they were trying to do - small world but chill - but it’s over so fast it doesn’t give you a good opportunity to get in the right headspace.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I did t know that about the castle. What movie?

Sleeping Beauty, which was a 1959 film. The park opened in 1955 and the interior walk through opened in 1957 with scenes from the upcoming movie.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1279425508401389573

quote:

Another staggering, record-breaking number of new coronavirus cases in Florida in the last 24 hours.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

My take is that if the ride were probably twice as long it would be hailed as a masterpiece. I get what they were trying to do - small world but chill - but it’s over so fast it doesn’t give you a good opportunity to get in the right headspace.

This and the weaker themeing of the queue are my main complaints about it. Obviously the Shaman of Songs is amazing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero One posted:

Sleeping Beauty, which was a 1959 film. The park opened in 1955 and the interior walk through opened in 1957 with scenes from the upcoming movie.

Oh I thiught he meant a live action movie

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh I thiught he meant a live action movie

That was the Matterhorn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Galaxy's Edge is really fuckin cool. Don't know what you guys are on about

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Galaxy's Edge is real nice in particular for making the inevitable souvenir shops both actually feel like part of the environment and actually sell unique stuff that's not just branded clothing/accessories. Only Diagon Alley really compares in that respect.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

alg posted:

Galaxy's Edge is really fuckin cool. Don't know what you guys are on about

Galaxys Edge is sort of a disappointment if you want to play “I recognize that thing” (with one very big and obvious exception,) right? Super Mario Land seems like it’s a massive pile of things from the games. Both of these are valid approaches. Mario Land is probably going to be really entertaining to play eye spy in, but I doubt anyone will ever say it has a lived-in quality.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Roadie posted:

Galaxy's Edge is real nice in particular for making the inevitable souvenir shops both actually feel like part of the environment and actually sell unique stuff that's not just branded clothing/accessories. Only Diagon Alley really compares in that respect.

This is very true.

Boxman posted:

Galaxys Edge is sort of a disappointment if you want to play “I recognize that thing” (with one very big and obvious exception,) right?

In addition to that obvious exception, you'll probably recognize the life-size X-Wing, and possibly the landspeeder and some of the droids, not to mention the walkaround characters (Rey, Chewie, and Kylo in particular). Beyond that, I feel Galaxy's Edge does a really good job of making you feel like you're in the Galaxy Far, Far Away, even though it establishes a new planet and town rather than directly recreating one of those from the movies. If you're a huge Star Wars geek like me, there are other details to recognize, too. You know what gave me my big "Wow" moment, that feeling of awe, that sense that I really was in that galaxy? It wasn't any of the life-size spaceships, probably because I knew going into it that they would be there. It was the fact that they actually built a life-size moisture vaporator. It's a background detail in the movies, but its inclusion in the land really made the whole thing real for me. :3:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

And green milk is good, dammit.

Edit: On that note. I wonder what kinda food they'll have at Nintendo World. Obviously a cupcake or something that looks like a mushroom...

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 4, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the real genius of GE is that it feels like a real place you’d see in a Star Wars film and is absolutely packed with tiny details even if the overall wow factor is packed into the ships. Look closer and there’s a ton of stuff to geek out over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I walked around pretending to hit every door button I could. And I even hid in that ally way near the roasting meat place and it felt like an IRL Star Wars place.