Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Legal stuff takes a while, sadly. But since Lowtax has been publicly saying he's selling the forums I suspect we're okay. Not that I'd put it past him to backstab us out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Data Graham posted:

That episode was commissioned by a local LA Yamaha dealership if I remember correctly

You don't. I've explained the why of it in the blind thread, it being of no relevance whatsoever and a couple of people wondering what was up with that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, things are moving and there's no indications it will not happen, but I'd expect a few weeks at minimum.

It will happen and it will happen in our lifetimes, to quote Alpha Centauri

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It will happen and it will happen in our lifetimes, to quote Alpha Centauri

It is every goon's final duty to shitpost in the vats.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jedit posted:

Way ahead of you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

To become one with the poop

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

You don't. I've explained the why of it in the blind thread, it being of no relevance whatsoever and a couple of people wondering what was up with that.

I do feel like it was a shame that was never referenced again. Garibaldi could use the extra depth of having a weird hobby.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ugh. I've been rewatching this on Sky. They've gotten to season 4 and decided to show two episodes from now on. Except they skipped a couple of episodes for some reason, including Into the Fire, which only deals with the conclusion of the Shadow War. :rant:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grand Fromage posted:

Legal stuff takes a while, sadly.

This, and keep in mind that the less you hear the better it's going.

Edit:

Oh well....

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 4, 2020

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The precious blinds watch thread gave me an itch to rewatch the series. Out of town for the weekend so I entered up buying it in Vudu on sale for $50. Surprisingly they seem to be the non-widescreen broadcast version, without the awkwardly cropped CGI and CGI-live composite scenes and I think I actually prefer this to the DVDs

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do feel like it was a shame that was never referenced again. Garibaldi could use the extra depth of having a weird hobby.

I mean, he still has Looney Tunes.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
A new render. This time it's true form of a Zorlon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEiPzeNkPs

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

That’s not actually the true form. That’s the telepathic projection
:ssh:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s not actually the true form. That’s the telepathic projection
:ssh:
Did a bit of Googling.
From "Out of the Darkness" (seems to be a canon book)

... but I was present that amazing day when Kosh Naranek, the Vorlon ambassador, emerged from his suit. Others reported visions of a great winged being, and I...

I saw nothing.

Actually, that is not entirely accurate. I saw... light. An overwhelming brilliance. But it was shapeless, amorphous, and indistinct. For a moment, it seemed as though I perceived a hint of something, but that was all.

Sometimes I have wondered whether what others saw was some sort of mass delusion... or whether I was simply not deserving of the experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The angel form is a just another encounter suit, although psychic rather than physical. It's not their true form. The show does eventually reveal a Vorlon without one, but if you're not there yet, be cautious about leaping ahead.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikusR posted:

A new render. This time it's true form of a Zorlon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEiPzeNkPs

Effin Josh still owes for that QP I “gave” him. Understanding is a three edged sword me arse

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 8, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

The show does eventually reveal a Vorlon without one

Which episode? the one in deconstruction is a Human

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MikusR posted:

When Kosh Classic pops out of Sheridan and duels Cherry Kosh though I don’t remember exactly which episode that was.

Unrelated I just watched Tron Legacy for the first time last night and it was nice to see Boxleitner again. :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MikusR posted:

Falling Toward Apotheosis

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

When Kosh Classic pops out of Sheridan and duels Cherry Kosh though I don’t remember exactly which episode that was.
Thank's. It was Season 4 episode 4.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Grand Fromage posted:

Answering telepath question: Yeah. You can do telepathy by skin contact, so wearing gloves minimizes the chance of accidental scan. It's also part of the Psi Corps uniform.

ultrafilter posted:

Roughly 140 in human years. This never comes up in the series but JMS mentioned it online at some point.

Frowning upon you guys, these both come up during the series but way later, at appropriate time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Frowning upon you guys, these both come up during the series but way later, at appropriate time

By the end of S1 you've already seen Talia remove her gloves whenever she scans someone and every telepath you've seen is wearing them.

Ultrafilter, though, he needs to loving shut up because that is a spoiler.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Yes, gloves are seen but not explained. Isn't it a major emotional and plot point in the 2x08 A Race Through Dark Places? When the guy is explaining to Talia what PsiCorps does to people and the gloves are a part of the control over teeps' minds and then they hold hands to pull a big telepathic stunt.

ps
its the first time it is said on screen according to my notes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What are y'all thinking of? The scene with an elderly Delenn at the end of season 4? JMS mentioned the Minbari lifespan before that, and just saying it in the abstract is different from mentioning that any particular character lives that long.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

This is still way after current episodes watched at zorlons thread, not mentioning the fact that these are spoilers too and not like mentioned in episodes.
Whole jms speaks is for after first watch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oooh, some little bit of sympathy for Garibaldi in the Blind Watch thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really wish we could see the plot outline for an alternate universe where Michael O'Hare had stayed on for the entire show. It's hard to imagine him confronting Kosh or taking the fight to Z'ha'dum, but it's also hard to imagine the show without those plot beats.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Torrannor posted:

Oooh, some little bit of sympathy for Garibaldi in the Blind Watch thread.

He kind of deserves some. Not a lot, but some.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I really wish we could see the plot outline for an alternate universe where Michael O'Hare had stayed on for the entire show. It's hard to imagine him confronting Kosh or taking the fight to Z'ha'dum, but it's also hard to imagine the show without those plot beats.

I think that got published in the red script book, I will pull my copy and check today. I know the red book has the Londo/G’Kar gently caress scene JMS sent to Jurasik and Katsulas as a joke.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

What we got is so much better:
Sinclair gets some of the Sheridan plot beats, especially being rescued by Kosh from a core shuttle explosion. Londo is in a power position surrounded by flunkies and G'Kar leaves the station in S3 to return to his occupied homeworld and fight the occupation. S3/4 also sees Catherine Sakai get "mind-raped" (JMS' word) and all memory of their relationship is removed. Sinclair refuses to repeat the violence to her in order to restore her memories, and falls into a relationship with Delenn who is pregnant by S4. Garibaldi's drinking starts up between S3 and S4.

In S5, G'Kar reveals Londo's deal with the Shadowmen after returning to the station. The Minbari military launch a coup, exile the Grey Council, order the deaths of Sinclair and Delenn, and a restart of the war against Earth. Londo assumes control of B5's region of space for the Centauri Republic, which Earth contests.

S5 ends with a successful assault on B5 by the Minbari. Sinclair, Delenn and their child escape, wanted by Earth (given false information implicating Sinclair as a traitor), the Minbari, and the Centauri (because they know the truth about the Shadowmen), and by the Vorlons, who falsely believe that they betrayed a Vorlon ship with hundreds of thousands of their people to the Shadowmen (Londo actually did that).

The follow-up series, Babylon Prime, sees B4 pulled forward through time to help in the resulting conflict.

Michael O'Hare certainly wasn't lucky to be suffering from mental problems, but we were lucky to get the show we did instead of the original plan.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeesh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The most insane part of the generally insane original outline was the series ending on a cliffhanger and requiring a second five season show to resolve it. The hubris of planning a five season show is already remarkable, but having to have two is incredible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Unrelated I just watched Tron Legacy for the first time last night and it was nice to see Boxleitner again. :)

I got to see his in-person appearance as part of the ARG marketing for Tron Legacy. They did an in-character product launch of Space Paranoids at Justin Herman Plaza in San Francisco and marketed that straight. If you had been following the ARG you knew to show up at a meeting hall at a nearby hotel for a Flynn Lives rally. There were some speakers, they handed out signs (I still have "Game On" and "Flynn Lives"), and went over to the product launch as a group.

They got a pretty good sized crowd, at least a thousand total for the event given that it was after dark, cold, and a little rainy. Then a helicopter showed up and "Sam Flynn" did a parachute drop with a Flynn Lives banner. In the rain. At night. Over a busy street. The stuntman nailed it, hit the ground and was bundled into the back of an SUV chute and all. Fantastic show.

Then we all went home and tried out Space Paranoids. Turns out to be even harder than lightcycle duels.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narsham posted:

What we got is so much better:

Possibly. A lot depends on the implementation and how things are sold by the actors.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
A number of other factors came into play also. The rush to wrap up the series on four seasons, few characters leaving. Things adapted over time for more reasons than Sinclair. Of course that was major.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The main things I didn't really buy in the original outline were Earth-Minbari War 2.0 which Earth wins, and Sinclair's end of series fate is a pretty hard whiff compared to either Sinclair or Sheridan's endings in the series proper.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Seemlar posted:

The main things I didn't really buy in the original outline were Earth-Minbari War 2.0 which Earth wins

They might if they had a bunch of Shadow-enhanced Advanced Omega destroyers like as seen in Between The Darkness And The Light... I can't remember, did the original outline have the Shadowmen getting their tendrils into Earthgov?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
It's been a few months since we started our watch (my watch-partner has a limited number of spoons) but we're juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust about when the nightwatch show up and things get scary. She already hates Zack Allen, which is very sad, because I really liked Zack as a kind of "everyman" character.

Edit: For context, the hate is because he straight up murders the narn that is slowly approaching with a steel pipe and not even threatening Zack, per se, which does seem kind of awkward with this current discussion on police brutality

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 12, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wow, The_Doctor picked up on the reference in the Streib's name. That's really surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That's why he's The Doctor.