Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hihohe posted:

can we talk about how METAL this looks

I like it but I think that the Silent King himself could have been a bit more... distinct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've been waiting for over a decade for the Void Dragon.

It's everything I could have ever wanted.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The fact that it’s actually the named character and not “greater Ctan” or something is pretty great. Now to play way more Apocalypse games so I can fit everything in this new range into every game...

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Meh wanted a dragon for the void dragon :) that model looks rad though. Like some weird scifi Da Vinci angel .

bij
Feb 24, 2007

All the Necron stuff is loving DOPE and I am glad it will be possible to prune the top half of the biker chaplain off for attachment to something that isn't stupid.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I dig the chaplain, but man oh man does that techmarine need a different head

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It matches the one from the Repulsor Executioner. You could steal the one from the regular Repulsor.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished up my Smash Captain. First Iron Hands unit I've done since the Difficulties started.

I used bits from the vanguard veteran and space marine commander kits.

The banner says "Fugit Mortem," which, according to Google Translate, means "Death Flies." The good news is that if it's wrong, the freehand is bad enough that no one will know if I don't tell them.

The jump pack is from the vanguard set, with eagles cut off from the backpack in the commander kit.

I also tried out one of the Vallejo color shifter paints on the hammer, but they don't work super well on a flat surface, especially not when brushed on. I may try with an airbrush on a more curved surface in the future.

Also, that techmarine rocks. As Iron Hands, I don't have a huge use for him (not when I want to use Feirros), but I'm still definitely getting one and painting it up. The head's perfect for my emotionally stunted cyber lads.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Edit 3:
And finally the loving VOID DRAGON has been revealed.
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1279415601551769600
Am I the only one getting Keeper of Secrets vibes? Not that it's a bad thing but I feel like they have a similar look/pose.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
That looks like it would be nearly Hierophant-level of annoying to try to transport.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Am I the only one getting Keeper of Secrets vibes? Not that it's a bad thing but I feel like they have a similar look/pose.

Not at all, KoS was my first thought and a Slaaneshi Heretek Cult could definitely summon something loving cool with some pink paint.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

That looks like it would be nearly Hierophant-level of annoying to try to transport.

Not really, it's plastic so just slap a bunch of magnets underneath and it'll happily live stuck on a metal plate in a plastic box (upside down or sideways even!).

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It will come with a helmeted option. The preview image here shows it if you scroll right/left.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/04/warhammer-40000-preview-new-models-revealed/

tangy yet delightful posted:

I see it, now that you bring it up. I'm also getting some Geth vibes circa ME2 and ME3 when they started to have some personality.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man I can't even get my weirdboy staffs to stop breaking off or my inceptors/supressors to stay stuck to their flight stands. I would accidentally break that silent king or void dragon model so fast

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do Necrons us some kind of AR to percieve each other as their old selves?

I can't remember if I read that or just thought it would be cool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

moths posted:

Do Necrons us some kind of AR to percieve each other as their old selves?

I can't remember if I read that or just thought it would be cool.

Not unless they've gone mad like Zandrehk

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Necron Lords and nobles retain a better sense of themselves than the standard warrior. The imprint isn't perfect to allow KILLBOT drone Lords that match the old fluff. If you want a specific model in the Lord's retinue to be a loving badass that retains memories of everything he or she has ever achieved, you can do that too.\

Some of them are broken to the point where non-Necron opponents register as honorable enemies that warrant proper terms of surrender.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Not all the model reveal videos are good, but the Primaris Chaplain on Bike one is worth a watch. I had a chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODr7oNXCCo

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah it was a bit of a shame of them messing up the audio 1½ times for it on the stream.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Lol the bikes have 2A base, +3 on the charge (1 from angels of death, 2 from their bespoke rule) and then +1 from their chainswords.

It's taken a whole edition but I've finally gotten to the "annoyed at the constant new and good toys space marine players get" point

Old bikes had two wounds and three attacks, new bikes have twice that for twice the points. That doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good Citizen posted:

Man I can't even get my weirdboy staffs to stop breaking off or my inceptors/supressors to stay stuck to their flight stands. I would accidentally break that silent king or void dragon model so fast

When I was fielding a lot of falcons at one point I got a clear plexiglass tube about the same size as the bottom of a stand. I cut them to the length of the stands and placed them on that instead of trying to balance them on the wee little plastic bit. They balance better by far.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Potential BFF posted:

Necron Lords and nobles retain a better sense of themselves than the standard warrior. The imprint isn't perfect to allow KILLBOT drone Lords that match the old fluff. If you want a specific model in the Lord's retinue to be a loving badass that retains memories of everything he or she has ever achieved, you can do that too.\

Some of them are broken to the point where non-Necron opponents register as honorable enemies that warrant proper terms of surrender.

If I remember correctly warriors were the civilian populace, have no sense of self and are basically automatons. Immortals were the professional soldiers and have a vague idea of who they were, and still have all their marbles as far as training and tactics go. Lychguard, crypteks, lords and overlords are all fully cognizant with their personalities intact, but aside from overlords have command protocols that prevents them from disobeying any orders from their commanders.

I’m rather fond of the Triarch Praetorians who are basically warrior monks who never went into hibernation and instead travelled around the galaxy teaching young races the ways of the Necrons. If an overlord decides to attack a civilisation who follows the ways of the Necrons and honours the Triarch, they can expect the praetorians to show up and stomp their poo poo in.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm a bit torn on Necron lore.

On the one hand having an omious and utterly unknowable foe with countless legions of warriors and a super high technology level work towards its own alien and unknowable goals is cool.

On the other hand, for a Necron players it's dull as poo poo to have a codex that basically says "who knows why you do what you do", drop a couple of vague hints, and that's basically it, which is what the first one more or less said.

I do like the idea that some Necron Overlords have basically gone nuts, as trapping a mortal mind in an immortal body for millions of years is really going to take an effect.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Well at least its something compared to Tyranids who ... *checks codex* ...show up and want to eat everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno, I'd file that under clear and concise motivations and goals.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kore_Fero posted:

Well at least its something compared to Tyranids who ... *checks codex* ...show up and want to eat everything.

I think with Tyranids you have to revel in the details and the descriptions of their biodiversity etc, otherwise, it's not a faction you'll find very appealing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

On the contrary, my personal goal is also to consume all available biomass, so they really appeal to me that way.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I missed the excellent Thousand Sons from last few weeks but I've made some very slow progress and here's where I'm at so far. I haven't decided on the basing yet. Maybe a sandstone/desert theme? I don't exactly have a board these days so I feel pretty free on that.

I realised last night this might be my first 'fully painted' army, if I'm right I have a bare minimum patrol detachment. I've irregularly been involved in the hobby since I was a kid at the end of second but this is the most I've managed.

Lessons learnt include that I really need to move my spraying area, I couldn't see the Retributor Armour well enough in my garage to get a good coverage and ended up with a very speckly, rough texture on a load of stuff which really isn't nice. But it all looks ok from 2-3 feet away. I really love the Army Painter spray primers though, really easy to work with.

Full album here if anyone is curious. It pales in comparison to what everyone else has shared but since this place was my inspiration to paint I thought I'd join in so anyone who's worried their work isn't good enough to share has a low bar to jump over! :cheeky:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

EdBlackadder posted:

Full album here if anyone is curious. It pales in comparison to what everyone else has shared but since this place was my inspiration to paint I thought I'd join in so anyone who's worried their work isn't good enough to share has a low bar to jump over! :cheeky:

Dont get discouraged looking at the masterworks popping up constantly in this thread. Your stuff is good and will look great on any table. There's some scary talent in here though and you'll only get depressed if you try and perform to that standard.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely, there's a great attitude here for that. I'm already better than grey plastic!

On the Scarabs Occult Terminator build now. I messed up trying to magnetise that Aspiring Sorcerer arm (well, the alternate warpflamer arm anyway, slipped gluing the magnet and it jammed with the wrong polarity) but just managed to magnetise the terminator heavy weapons without much bother. I've another Rubric squad so I think I'll have a go magnetising the other Aspiring Sorcerer.

I'm slightly disappointed at how monopose the Aspiring Sorcerers are, mainly with the flowing scarves. I'm hoping I'll see some bits leftover from the SOT kit that I can use to differentiate them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Hihohe posted:

can we talk about how METAL this looks

For as metal as it looks, it also looks like it'll be a pain to paint if you're not doing it in sub-assembly.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

EdBlackadder posted:

I missed the excellent Thousand Sons from last few weeks but I've made some very slow progress and here's where I'm at so far. I haven't decided on the basing yet. Maybe a sandstone/desert theme? I don't exactly have a board these days so I feel pretty free on that.

I realised last night this might be my first 'fully painted' army, if I'm right I have a bare minimum patrol detachment. I've irregularly been involved in the hobby since I was a kid at the end of second but this is the most I've managed.

Lessons learnt include that I really need to move my spraying area, I couldn't see the Retributor Armour well enough in my garage to get a good coverage and ended up with a very speckly, rough texture on a load of stuff which really isn't nice. But it all looks ok from 2-3 feet away. I really love the Army Painter spray primers though, really easy to work with.

These are some mighty fine dusty bois and you should be pleased with yourself. I would recommend basing with sand and some foliage; I’ve opted for this and like how it looks.

Speaking of Thousand Sons I have at last finished my Defiler.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Max Wilco posted:

For as metal as it looks, it also looks like it'll be a pain to paint if you're not doing it in sub-assembly.

The pillars at the side are separate models.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gameko posted:

Dont get discouraged looking at the masterworks popping up constantly in this thread. Your stuff is good and will look great on any table. There's some scary talent in here though and you'll only get depressed if you try and perform to that standard.

Yeah this for sure. Since getting back into the hobby I've put a bunch of effort into being a better painter, and the difference between my old models and my new ones are night and day (mainly because I'm actually bothering to try and highlight them etc). My freehand is also a lot better, now being able to paint some basic playing cards onto my sentinels that don't look like trash, and painting Cadia logos and squad numbers onto shoulders relatively consistently.

I'm pretty proud of it and I think it looks good. Then in this thread there will be someone who has like free handed the Sistine Chapel roof onto their knight or something. Best thing is though most people in this thread are very friendly and if you say that looks awesome how did you do that?" you get an answer. I got to paint much better whites from asking that question in this thread.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The pillars at the side are separate models.

I think he was referring to the fact it's a big complex throne with three separate dudes standing on it and one of them has a grimdark cloak which makes it awkward to reach anything. I never sub-assembly stuff usually but for that I think I would

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

NovemberMike posted:

Old bikes had two wounds and three attacks, new bikes have twice that for twice the points. That doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

Like most of the Primaris complaints, the problem is rules not being justified by fluff more then the rules being overpowered on the tabletop. Bikes are consistently, +1 toughness, +1 wound, and a better save if you didn't start in power armour. Primaris bikes that don't look exceptionally big compared to their riders granting +2 wounds annoys people, because the fluff doesn't justify the stats. Similarly, 6 attacks from one non-character, non monster model is pretty rare even counting temporary bonuses (but not HQ/strat buffs). Why are these random bike dudes that killy in melee? Why couldn't they be cheaper with 3 wounds and 4 attacks on the charge?

The last wave of primaris stuff had a bunch of this kind of stuff, but it was more ignoring core rules for no good reason instead of having stats that weren't justified. Like the only unit that would run away from charges, the only unit that could perform suppressive fire, the only transport that people could get out of after it moved, ect.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

These are some mighty fine dusty bois and you should be pleased with yourself. I would recommend basing with sand and some foliage; I’ve opted for this and like how it looks.

Speaking of Thousand Sons I have at last finished my Defiler.

That is quite lovely. I might steal your basing exactly as you suggest. I also just remembered I've not done any transfers or icons yet, better order some microsol while I'm at it.

mr_stibbons posted:

Like most of the Primaris complaints, the problem is rules not being justified by fluff more then the rules being overpowered on the tabletop. Bikes are consistently, +1 toughness, +1 wound, and a better save if you didn't start in power armour. Primaris bikes that don't look exceptionally big compared to their riders granting +2 wounds annoys people, because the fluff doesn't justify the stats. Similarly, 6 attacks from one non-character, non monster model is pretty rare even counting temporary bonuses (but not HQ/strat buffs). Why are these random bike dudes that killy in melee? Why couldn't they be cheaper with 3 wounds and 4 attacks on the charge?

The Cryptothralls also get 6 attacks when they're withing range of their Cryptek do they might be making this more of a thing in the new edition.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Max Wilco posted:

Sub-assemblies are for cowards.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

mr_stibbons posted:

Similarly, 6 attacks from one non-character, non monster model is pretty rare even counting temporary bonuses (but not HQ/strat buffs). Why are these random bike dudes that killy in melee? Why couldn't they be cheaper with 3 wounds and 4 attacks on the charge?

Simulating the devastating nature of a properly executed cavalry charge. You could make the reverse argument of "why wouldn't hitting somebody at full speed with a multi-ton bike be significantly more effective than doing the same thing with a guy on foot?"

ThoraxTheImpaler fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Out of interest, people here who have participated in or organised an escalation league, how quickly did it "escalate"? I appreciate it will differ a lot but I guess I'm looking for how much time were people given to buy and assemble bigger armies, did they have to be painted to play etc.