Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

What's the difference between using shredded and grated cheese, assuming that I shred or grate myself? Is it just a presentation thing? I tried googling it, but basically every result was about using preshredded cheese, which isn't what I'm asking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You shred cheese using a grater. Conversely, you can grate cheese using a shredder.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Either way shredded cheese without the starches are grate

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I put some frozen chicken in cold water to thaw yesterday, then my plans changed and I went out for dinner. It was in the water for about 10 minutes and was still very much frozen, except for some outside parts which had begun to go soft. I put it straight back in the freezer. Safe to thaw and use today, or not?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Paperhouse posted:

I put some frozen chicken in cold water to thaw yesterday, then my plans changed and I went out for dinner. It was in the water for about 10 minutes and was still very much frozen, except for some outside parts which had begun to go soft. I put it straight back in the freezer. Safe to thaw and use today, or not?

Yes

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I need a new liqueur to try

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

I need a new liqueur to try

Grind - https://www.grindespressoshot.com/

Any of the liqueurs from:
https://brothersvilgalys.com/

They are all exceptional.

The Jabberwock is a total pallet wrecker though. Be warned.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like a nice sip of Frangelico now and then.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Our fridge seems to have stopped working. It's probably been about a day and a half. The meat is airtight plastic-wrapped but is pretty close to room temp. We think we can save it by cooking it right now; would it be safe to refreeze any of it?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Funktor posted:

Our fridge seems to have stopped working. It's probably been about a day and a half. The meat is airtight plastic-wrapped but is pretty close to room temp. We think we can save it by cooking it right now; would it be safe to refreeze any of it?

Unless you're eating something endangered or extinct, it'll be cheaper to throw all of that out than to deal with food poisoning.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

poeticoddity posted:

Unless you're eating something endangered or extinct, it'll be cheaper to throw all of that out than to deal with food poisoning.

That's the conclusion we came to. I cooked some stuff but then got to making a few burgers with some ground beef that looked ok, but the burgers smelled off after they'd been cooking ten minutes. I got grossed out and went back and threw everything out.

In other news, how long will oranges and peaches last out on the counter?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Funktor posted:

That's the conclusion we came to. I cooked some stuff but then got to making a few burgers with some ground beef that looked ok, but the burgers smelled off after they'd been cooking ten minutes. I got grossed out and went back and threw everything out.

In other news, how long will oranges and peaches last out on the counter?

They’ll last until they don’t.

It all depends on the temperature, humidity, and biological activity on your counter and how fresh the fruit was when you bought it. I’ve had oranges last two months in a fruit bowl. I’ve bought oranges only to find them moldy the next day.

But basically oranges have a two week lifespan, give or take two weeks. And peaches will last about a week.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
In a bit of a coincidence, we discovered our solidly packed freezer was unplugged a couple of days - the mass of meat in there seems to have held every thing frozen enough, but the ice cream treats in door. We have it set so cold it hurts your hands carrying things inside.

Is there a UPS one could get for a freezer? In this case, someone plugged in a table saw and stole the outlet. We are labeling it better now. Almost losing the majority of a processed pig though... I want something that screams murder when power is lost.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I wouldn't put a compressor on a UPS, I bet it would get unhappy every time it kicked on. But outlet failure alarms are definitely a thing

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'd need a big UPS, Eaton probably has something that will work but it won't be cheap

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
What if you just ran an extension cord from another circuit so nobody felt the need to unplug your freezer?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arkhamina posted:

In a bit of a coincidence, we discovered our solidly packed freezer was unplugged a couple of days - the mass of meat in there seems to have held every thing frozen enough, but the ice cream treats in door. We have it set so cold it hurts your hands carrying things inside.

Is there a UPS one could get for a freezer? In this case, someone plugged in a table saw and stole the outlet. We are labeling it better now. Almost losing the majority of a processed pig though... I want something that screams murder when power is lost.

Was it a contractor or?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
No one to blame but ourselves. We are slowly upgrading the house (table saw was for cutting trim for the 7 windows we are installing ourselves!) but the garage has a single power outlet. Running new electrical isn't going to be a this year thing, but it's absolutely on the list. In-laws were over, lots of scurrying to get plastic on the unfinished window area before rain hit, and we forgot. Will look at outlet alarm!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

my dad knows I have a sous vide and found these for free at a garage sale, use them or ??? they are old as hell but unopened

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

That Works posted:

I like a nice sip of Frangelico now and then.

Someone told me you should have it with a squeeze of lime to cut the sweetness. It was alright, and certainly added something, but I think I prefer it without.

Great with Chambord.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I am looking for knife advice. I’ve been cleaning up and separating whole briskets this summer. I’ve tried a bunch of the knives and I seem to gravitate to my petite chef/utility knife. It’s small and easy to work with. I’ve watched videos online of others cleaning brisket and some use fillet knives. I like the idea of having a bit longer of a blade that is thinner for the job. I don’t own a fillet knife to try. It seems like a niche knife that would just collect dust if I buy one to try and decide to stick with my petite. Do you folks have any suggestions on which knives to use for cleaning up brisket (or meat in general)?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

knowonecanknow posted:

I am looking for knife advice. I’ve been cleaning up and separating whole briskets this summer. I’ve tried a bunch of the knives and I seem to gravitate to my petite chef/utility knife. It’s small and easy to work with. I’ve watched videos online of others cleaning brisket and some use fillet knives. I like the idea of having a bit longer of a blade that is thinner for the job. I don’t own a fillet knife to try. It seems like a niche knife that would just collect dust if I buy one to try and decide to stick with my petite. Do you folks have any suggestions on which knives to use for cleaning up brisket (or meat in general)?
I trimmed a 16# brisket this morning using a Chinese cleaver. I also sometimes just use a chef's knife. I don't think I've ever trimmed a brisket using a petty knife, but that's mostly just because I hardly ever use a petty knife. For something like a brisket I tend to use something bigger and without too much belly, just because that's well suited to kind shaving the fat, which is probably why a lot of people like fillet knives. But I kinda feel like trimming briskets is more of an art than a science, so I'd just use whatever your hands are most comfortable using.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also depends a lot on your hand size

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wanted something steaky for the Fourth weekend, but everything was so expensive that I ended up with a package of well-marbled chuck stew meat. I still want it to feel like summer, so I was thinking kebabs? But I know chuck needs longer to cook. What if I did a reverse sear, low and slow in the oven, then a blast in the broiler? If I did it to temp, do you think it'd get dry because it's too small? I can braise it if that's best, I'm just thinking this might work . . .

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you do it to temp itll be fine wrt dryness, if you do it to steak time itll turn into jerky sure

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When you are done be sure to cut nice and thin. Large bites may still be tough. Ive done SV chuck which has been fantastic and I imagine that's a softer texture then reversed.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

SubG posted:

I trimmed a 16# brisket this morning using a Chinese cleaver. I also sometimes just use a chef's knife. I don't think I've ever trimmed a brisket using a petty knife, but that's mostly just because I hardly ever use a petty knife. For something like a brisket I tend to use something bigger and without too much belly, just because that's well suited to kind shaving the fat, which is probably why a lot of people like fillet knives. But I kinda feel like trimming briskets is more of an art than a science, so I'd just use whatever your hands are most comfortable using.

Thanks for the input!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

knowonecanknow posted:

I split and trim somewhere around 300lb of briskets per week on average at the restaurant, and bob/SubG are right about it mostly being about hand size/what's comfortable for you.

I done it with a bunch of knives, including a standard 9" chef knife and a bigass veg cleaver, but I went back and forth between my Victorinox 6" semi-stiff boning knife, and Japanese 6" utility knife before settling pretty firmly on the utility. We confit/cube after though, so speed is more important to me than precision. The stiff, almost straight blade can take off way bigger strips of fat than the boning knife can comfortably. If I were just doing 1 brisket at a time though, and wanted a beautiful-looking piece of meat that people were going to see after cooking whole, I would use the boning knife and take my time.

I think that what you are seeing in videos are boning knives, not filet knives. I would be terrified of using a fillet knife (at least one as flexible as all that I have used) on a cold brisket. Some of that fat is super hard, and a really flexible blade is the last thing that I would want.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/nashville-hot-tofu-nuggets-vegan/

I've been making this recipe for a while and just using normal butter instead of vegan butter because I'm not a vegan and I assume they vegan butter is more expensive and probably slightly worse. What can I use to replace the agave syrup? It's very expensive but I don't know anything about cooking in general and what you can use as substitution.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I've been making this recipe for a while and just using normal butter instead of vegan butter because I'm not a vegan and I assume they vegan butter is more expensive and probably slightly worse. What can I use to replace the agave syrup? It's very expensive but I don't know anything about cooking in general and what you can use as substitution.
In that recipe, either honey or maple syrup, 1:1.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would use honey instead of agave syrup. Vegan recipes use agave as a honey substitute, so just swap them back.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
That makes sense, thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

I have basically stopped using all of my "nice" knives, like my Sabatier and such, and basically only use Chinese cleavers these days.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I make this exact same recipe sometimes and I just use honey usually. I did it once or twice with maple syrup too and it turned out just as good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have basically stopped using all of my "nice" knives, like my Sabatier and such, and basically only use Chinese cleavers these days.
Same, with the caveat that one of my Chinese cleavers is a 230mm Takeda. I bought one years and years ago when they were like US$200 and now I think a new one is worth more than the rest of my kitchen knives combined.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Even the super generic ones hold a great edge, I find. And I just get so much better control for everything I'm doing. Chinese cooks got things figured out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got a big honking broccoli stem left over and I'm thinking if I peel it and slice it it should go fine in potato soup?

Pictured, potato soup (with meat):

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Go for it. That looks tasty btw.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I tried to make some fried battered zucchini flowers today and I think they came out pretty well, but I had one question: most recipes I found online told me to use sparkling water, so I used it as recommended, but does it make any difference if I just use still or tap water really?

Ones I made today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got a big honking broccoli stem left over and I'm thinking if I peel it and slice it it should go fine in potato soup?

Pictured, potato soup (with meat):

Broccoli stem works fine in broccoli recipes if you blend or chop them