Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

feeling stuck in a bunch of parts again, not even including the 'you have more to explore ' in sunless and hanging cities that i think i fully explored

i know from spoilers that i'm supposed to enter the eye of the hurricane to explore something, but what would ever clue me into that? i've seen no references to it . just me thinking smarter than I am?

Regarding your question about the big hurricane on giant's deep I just looked at it and thought I wonder what's in there, may as well fly out the atmosphere and enter it from above since nothing really at a glance prevents you from doing that other than the risk of instant death (which is what kept me from it for a while til I just said gently caress it one time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

another answer to your question is that it called out to me

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’d strongly recommend to all new players not to forget about your signalscope. When I remembered to scan for unknown signals with that and chase them down it exposed quite a few threads for me to pull on and it really energized me to power through the bout of non-exploration I experienced halfway through

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For real, use your signal scope. It brings you to lots of places where you can get information in one way or another.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just finished this game and absolutely loved it. Definitely had a tear or two come down at the end, something about the music just gets me.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

timp posted:

I’d strongly recommend to all new players not to forget about your signalscope. When I remembered to scan for unknown signals with that and chase them down it exposed quite a few threads for me to pull on and it really energized me to power through the bout of non-exploration I experienced halfway through

I used the signalscope to beeline to Feldspar directly and never even knew there was an anglerfish enemy until coming back to find the Vessel drat I love this game.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

meat police posted:

I used the signalscope to beeline to Feldspar directly and never even knew there was an anglerfish enemy until coming back to find the Vessel drat I love this game.

I did the same thing! Also loved the moment early in the game where I landed on the moon near some objects that I had no idea moved, got to out explore, then realized they shot my spaceship back to Timber Hearth. So I figured hey it's low G, why not? and yeeted myself back at the planet with a successful landing. Good times.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I am also reporting in to say I picked this up during the Steam sale, and just finished it some 20-odd hours in, and am emotionally compromised.

Endgame stuff: I really feel for the Nomai, being a scientifically and intellectually curious people, being excited to investigate a new comet that's appeared in the aftermath of a failed experiment, and then getting wiped out in a moment from the entire star system. But in the end, their experiment worked, and we were able to salvage a new go out of it, and without their work that wouldn't have happened.

A+ game would smash against planets like ping-pong balls again. Now to look at all the spoilers in this thread...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This game is neat.

I have named my ship Jitterbug.

I think I've cleared most of Ember and a bunch of Brittle. And a few other bits on the others.

I do really wish that my cockpit just faced 'down' like the landing camera permanently.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 4, 2020

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

I do really wish that my cockpit just faced 'down' like the landing camera permanently.

I mean.... there's really nothing that's keeping you from flying around like that

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cojawfee posted:

For real, use your signal scope. It brings you to lots of places where you can get information in one way or another.

Also remember you change what kind of signal it picks up, which I forgot about for most of the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also remember you change what kind of signal it picks up, which I forgot about for most of the game.

What?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

If you have the signal scope up and press R/L on the dpad it'll change between picking up different types of signals. The only two channels I can remember is "signals from members of the Outer Wilds" and "signals from weird quantum bullshit" but I think there's a third.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

If you have the signal scope up and press R/L on the dpad it'll change between picking up different types of signals. The only two channels I can remember is "signals from members of the Outer Wilds" and "signals from weird quantum bullshit" but I think there's a third.

Two others: the Hide and Seek channel for the signalscope tutorial in Timber Hearth, and the Distress Signal channel.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I keep trying to bring myself to like this game, but so far I just can't. I loving hate the time system. It's not that I dislike the concept - I like Dead Rising - but this game just seems to have absolutely zero respect for your time or your desire to do something enjoyable. Either you rush somewhere or happen to arrive at the exact right time or gently caress off. I'm also not enjoying the exploration in general because the game loves to make things tense and that is antithetical to exploration to me. I know most people love this game, but how did you get yourself into a mindset to enjoy it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's usually not a big deal if you don't know where you're going.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I metalized the fact that it might take the full 22 minutes to stumble onto something major but it only takes 2-3 minutes Tops to return back to any part of the game which leaves you a lot of time to just go deeper. Also reading translations is defaulted to freeze time but I also turned freeze time on for dialogue which was a sacrifice in the dynamic environment but gave me more leisure time to read

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There are also only a couple of places where you need to worry about showing up at the right time, and most of those are late rather than early.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And if you need to get somewhere fast you just mark it and then have your ship autopilot you right there (as long as that doesn't take you straight through the sun)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The only times times matter are "get there early" and if you don't get early you can just fly into the sun or whatever.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I keep trying to bring myself to like this game, but so far I just can't. I loving hate the time system. It's not that I dislike the concept - I like Dead Rising - but this game just seems to have absolutely zero respect for your time or your desire to do something enjoyable. Either you rush somewhere or happen to arrive at the exact right time or gently caress off. I'm also not enjoying the exploration in general because the game loves to make things tense and that is antithetical to exploration to me. I know most people love this game, but how did you get yourself into a mindset to enjoy it?

Opposite for me - this just made me try to manage my time better and if time ran out when I wasn't finished somewhere I would excitedly jump back in the spaceship on the next cycle so fast to go back to where I was I'd sometimes forget to put on my spacesuit.

Time is stopped while you're reading stuff and not moving btw

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
The loop aspect made everything very relaxing for me, because I knew no matter what I couldn't reallt gently caress up, I have infinite tries at everything

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just completed the game today, had a blast. I think the only times I really felt tense in terms of exploration was in the caves of Ember Twin, the centre of Dark Bramble and the final loop to reach the end. Otherwise it was just generally a very chill experience.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah besides some parts of ember twin there is nowhere you need to get to in a hurry

22 minutes is more than enough time to explore a few different places

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This game is neat.

I have named my ship Jitterbug.

I think I've cleared most of Ember and a bunch of Brittle. And a few other bits on the others.

I never used that camera at all, there was something that felt natural to me about basically ramming into planets and then j/k break hard at the last moment and flip up a little and then ground-pound flat. It was also a joy to jump out of your ship without a proper landing, or even while it's still skidding. Sometimes you're never coming back for it anyway.

Shout outs to ice-skating on the comet. If you've never tried it, it's a blast to slide around the ices parts picking up speed, then do a tiny jump to do a really long/fast jump/orbit. Careful not to fly off, lol, but even that's fun. The orbit jumps can happen on several places and it's always fun and very Mario Galaxyish. I ruined a few finals runs by just goofing around doing orbit-jumps and then flinging myself away or splat into something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Greenplastic posted:

The loop aspect made everything very relaxing for me, because I knew no matter what I couldn't reallt gently caress up, I have infinite tries at everything

Yeah, it was really liberating to realize you don't have to worry about how you're going to get back out of anywhere.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it was really liberating to realize you don't have to worry about how you're going to get back out of anywhere.

Once the initial scariness of a few sections kind of faded for me does not apply to dark bramble where I still close my eyes while drifting past the angler trio knowing it was a loop let me just be extra reckless all the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

There are also only a couple of places where you need to worry about showing up at the right time, and most of those are late rather than early.

Eh, there's quite a lot on Ember Twin early on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think there's really anything that requires you to rush. Everything I can think of has some part that requires you to wait for sand to rise or fall.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Still it can be annoying to want to explore ember twin caves only to be blocked by sand. But that's just a situation where you have to say okay I'm gonna prioritize this next loop and get back there right away.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ember doesn't feel too bad for the most part once you've gotten the paths into the city figured out. Mainly one spot I can think of where the sand feels like a really rough time limit when trying to figure it out.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The worst part of the sand is the one part where you have to beat it followed immediately by a part where you have to wait for it. They made the wait a bit too long.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there's really anything that requires you to rush. Everything I can think of has some part that requires you to wait for sand to rise or fall.

The bottom areas of sunless city and the cave at the very bottom where you learn about standing on quantum objects require rushing. The latter in particular was brutal, at least for me.

And yeah there's a lot of other bits that require waiting for the right time.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

getting slowly crushed by sand is the most distressed I've been purely from game audio in a while

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man I'd kill for longitude system on the landing planet ball display in my ship.

Or a compass when I'm not in landing mode. Also a 'down' that points to the planet's core so I know when I'm horizontal.

A horizon ball in my ship that indicates the ecliptic plane of the star system would a be real nice little convenience too when i'm swinging about trying to locate planets.

A clock would be super convenient. (they probably debated that one for a while before deciding it put too much pressure on us). Maybe I can just have a stopwatch on my computer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 6, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you're me then your clock is looking at the sun from the map :c00l:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also my ship needs a hammock. :colbert: it's the one thing missing to make it properly cozy.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Soundtrack for the game is still stuck in my head. So many great little moments. The special music it plays as you travel from the hourglass twins to the dark bramble while carrying the warp core really sticks out in my mind as just amazingly atmospheric. Really sold the "There are no more do-overs from here on out." feeling to me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Soundtrack for the game is still stuck in my head. So many great little moments. The special music it plays as you travel from the hourglass twins to the dark bramble while carrying the warp core really sticks out in my mind as just amazingly atmospheric. Really sold the "There are no more do-overs from here on out." feeling to me.

As I mentioned in this thread not too long ago, I found the Ash Twin Project pretty early on and quite by accident, and even though I didn't fully understand the implications of it from a story standpoint yet, I definitely understood the fact that removing that warp core would mean permadeath if I died while holding it. So as soon as I came across a broken one floating right next to a receptacle for a warp core in The Vessel (one of the last places I found), I knew exactly what I was going to have to do. When I finally committed to it, and that music kicked in and I realized that the game realized what this combination of events meant for me as a player...

You're absolutely right. It fully increased my heart rate when I got that confirmation from the game that I was on my final loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was really impactful when it happened but much less impactful the second and third tries when I failed to complete the endgame sequence as intended :/