Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

/edit: you know what, I've already gotten a gift and my location will probably make it impossible to play online, give it to someone who will get more out of it

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my only death in outer wilds so far has been falling to my death after getting the launch codes. I haven't even been to space yet. Spoilers are for comedic effect.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: you know what, I've already gotten a gift and my location will probably make it impossible to play online, give it to someone who will get more out of it
That's very thoughtful of you!

Ask for games, it's even ok to ask for more than one! I'll PM the kee or if you don't have PM's then give it in the Steam chat.

Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
Evergarden
Sword Legacy: Omen
SOULCALIBUR VI
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Primal Carnage: Extinction
Paper Fire Rookie
Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom
Boundless

Sininu fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 4, 2020

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

K8.0 posted:

GPS is definitely a problem. GPS became common because people complained about having to learn how to traverse the map in open world games, but the reality is that gaining mastery of the world is one of the best aspects of them. The ubiquity of arrows and lines showing you where to go has done a lot to eliminate the point of open-worldness. In GTA IV and most other modern open world games, the average player will not really gain any understanding of the map, because they will just drive the same few ways the GPS always routes you to. If you want to throw those type of things in as accessibility options, fine, but the default/standard in open world games should be no to minimal direction. Let the player explore and find their own way around, or do a linear game. If as a player you go out of your way to force yourself to do this, if you actively seek ways to not do what the navigation asks of you, these games tend to be a lot more fun.

It's a shame that open world as a game design concept is still so poorly understood this long into its existence, but I do think things are slowly improving and that we'll eventually see more games where learning the world and navigating are actually fun, rather than traversal being a mindless thing we seek to skip in order to reach the next linear setpiece. Part of that will probably come along with more designers realizing that bigger isn't necessarily better, and that there is a specific scale and density that is going to be ideal for any given game.

Honestly, I think the majority of people playing games don't actually want a fully open world game. That's more of a marketing thing that plays on what people feel like they want but really most people like to know where they are going and being told what to do in some way or another. Obviously there are people who absolutely love open worlds with little hand-holding but I think that's a relatively small percentage. For example, I was watching someone stream a blind playthrough of Bloodborne and multiple times in the stream he would say something to the effect of "ah! that's where I need to go. I like it when its linear!" I think this is really common, even if people don't often state it outright like that. I really think most games should be more linear and that AAA developers are only making "open world" games because they think that its necessary to add value and get more sales. "Open world" implies limitless content while "linear experience" is going to sound limiting, even if I think most people would actually prefer it this way. So devs make huge, sprawling worlds and then add map markers, compass arrows, highlighted paths, fast travel, etc to make it the linear experience most people feel comfortable with. Devs should, by all means, keep creating open world games since tons of people do actually like them, but not every AAA game should be open world. Or, at least, not as many as there are, imo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In my own mind, I've kind of come to define open world as "if I am at the endpoint of the game, I can theoretically go back to where I started it" rather than being entirely unconstrained and fully non-linear in every sense. Having the experience be at least a little bit guided generally makes it more fun because there's just less dead air of the 'where the gently caress am I supposed to go now' variety.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sininu posted:

That's very thoughtful of you!

Ask for games, it's even ok to ask for more than one! I'll PM the kee or if you don't have PM's then give it in the Steam chat.

Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
Evergarden
Sword Legacy: Omen
SOULCALIBUR VI
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Primal Carnage: Extinction
Paper Fire Rookie
Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom
Boundless

Can I have Soul Calibur IV? https://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

I do have PMs, that said :v:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, thanks for warning me about Basingstoke, I appreciate it. I prefer not to support assholes.

Anyway someone can have Void Bastards

2Z2Z*-X3*ED-NBXQD

Just add voids.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Thank you for Satellite Reign!
e: and Void Bastards!

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 4, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

for anyone starting void bastards now because of the bundle, remember to start on hard and move it up to hard bastard whenever you get too comfy. Normal gives you too many resources and you never have to think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

A Hat In Time is a very good game.

I don't think I ever got through the first major area of this; I ran into some frustrating platforming or something, and never got back to it. I ought to look in again.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thank you for SCVI!

Unrelated, but remember how I said Horizon Zero Dawn was like $8 in my region? They just jacked up the price to $30 :negative:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know if Green Hell is good poo poo (if that's the kind of game you're looking for)?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was only able to play it for two hours total because the weird positioning of the camera gave me major nausea, so that's a caveat to be aware of. It's like it's floating just a few inches in front of where your actual head would be and that makes it incredibly vertigo-inducing.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I bought Outer Wilds a while ago on Epic but stopped playing because I couldn't figure out how to save or what even triggered it. So after fiddling around on a planet 30 minutes in I just stopped playing and uninstalled. Convince me I made a mistake. Or at least explain how the game saves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stokes posted:

I bought Outer Wilds a while ago on Epic but stopped playing because I couldn't figure out how to save or what even triggered it. So after fiddling around on a planet 30 minutes in I just stopped playing and uninstalled. Convince me I made a mistake. Or at least explain how the game saves.

The only thing that gets "saved" is new information in your mission log. The more you uncover, the closer you get to the true goal of the game.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Just finished the base game of Grim Dawn and now all DLC is discounted. :dance: Outer Wilds is on Steam, Sonic Generations is 1€, Steam Austria finally has the international version of Wolfenstein and it's also cheap as hell. This sale rocks, I love video games.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Entenzahn posted:

Just finished the base game of Grim Dawn and now all DLC is discounted. :dance:

You're in for some good times and real challenges. Remember, Malmouth first and Forgotten Gods second.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Cardiovorax posted:

I was only able to play it for two hours total because the weird positioning of the camera gave me major nausea, so that's a caveat to be aware of. It's like it's floating just a few inches in front of where your actual head would be and that makes it incredibly vertigo-inducing.

That's a very strange choice. I'm never bothered by nausea or vertigo triggers like that, but still, a strange choice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not really sure what you mean by "choice" there. If you mean what they did with the camera, then yes, it is very strange and I couldn't really figure out how to fix it, if it's even possible.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Stokes posted:

The sheer speed at which some people uninstall games after not figuring out something always surprises me.

In any case the game starts "saving" after you're done with the tutorial start, that is to say after you've visited the observatory. It saves whenever a new loop starts, namely whenever you hit the 22-minute time limit or die (or skip to the end of the loop which you can unlock by talking to the astronaut on Giant's Deep twice on separate loops).

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kanfy posted:

(or skip to the end of the loop which you can unlock by talking to the astronaut on Giant's Deep twice on separate loops).

On that note, that would have saved me probably a solid hour-plus of wasted time in that game if I'd had it, but I didn't happen to unlock it until I was over 20 hours in. Good design :suicide:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "choice" there. If you mean what they did with the camera, then yes, it is very strange and I couldn't really figure out how to fix it, if it's even possible.

Yeah, choice as in what they did with the camera.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

On that note, that would have saved me probably a solid hour-plus of wasted time in that game if I'd had it, but I didn't happen to unlock it until I was over 20 hours in. Good design :suicide:

Kind of, yeah. But the easiest thing to do in the game is kill yourself. That’s all that feature does is turn Die in to a menu option.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I'll give Outer Wilds another try. The floor collapsing and me suddenly being in space gave me such an utter fright I haven't loaded the game since., over half a year ago :kiddo:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Speaking of dying in Outer Wilds, the other day I met with what I assume was a bug(?) - after a perfectly ordinary death of getting slowly crushed by sand in some random corner of Ember Twin on a loop in which I definitely hadn't done anything I would've noticed which apparently triggers it, I suddenly got what I afterwards learned was the time paradox ending. I still don't know why it happened so randomly at that specific time but it freaked me out real good for a moment there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Speaking of dying in Outer Wilds, the other day I met with what I assume was a bug(?) - after a perfectly ordinary death of getting slowly crushed by sand in some random corner of Ember Twin on a loop in which I definitely hadn't done anything I would've noticed which apparently triggers it, I suddenly got what I afterwards learned was the time paradox ending. I still don't know why it happened so randomly at that specific time but it freaked me out real good for a moment there.

It's possible to get the time paradox ending due to something you did in the previous loop, though you'd probably know if you did it.

If you didn't do anything notable on the last loop it probably was just a bug :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

You hadn't jumped into the black hole inside Ash Twin on your previous loop, had you?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Kanfy posted:

The sheer speed at which some people uninstall games after not figuring out something always surprises me.

It saves whenever a new loop starts, namely whenever you hit the 22-minute time limit

This is what I read too, but I didn't receive any perceived visual indication this was the case once i was sure I passed the 22 minute mark. Of course when the 22 minute limit 'starts' might be what I was confused about. Either way it's a goofy way to implement saves.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

MonkeyforaHead posted:

A little late to the party but I've felt both sides of the argument regarding Heat Signature in my time playing it. It's very easy for the game to turn into a slog, and the full length of the campaign is entirely too much. There's also an awkward stretch in the middle where because of the scaling difficulty, you might end up with just mission after mission of armored enemies before you happen to have randomly gotten or been able to work your way to a node to unlock armor-piercing weapons. But, if you can push yourself to unlock the good stuff and start leaning into more difficult missions, challenge runs, or using disadvantaged random characters the game becomes a hair-raising riot. With the right loadout you can pull off ghost missions without a second thought (extreme-range key copiers are your best friend). It can still begin to feel like routine but you're never not at risk of dicking something up.

There's also the never-explained and practically unknown feature of dogfighting. To be fair it's not something I'd normally recommend, as it requires you to take a mission, sneak onto, fully neutralize and hijack a ship that isn't your target, and fly that to your target ship to shoot the hell out of it. Although once I used it to blow up the escape teleporter room for an assassination target and he was like two rooms over when I snuck onto the ship from the newly created hole.

It’s hard to emphasize just how well this game nails the zany “I love it when a plan comes together!” vibe.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Kind of, yeah. But the easiest thing to do in the game is kill yourself. That’s all that feature does is turn Die in to a menu option.

Given the number of ways in which I've bitten it, you would think!! But here's just one example: stranded on Giant's Deep without access to my ship. My only options without knowing how to access the core were wait around to suffocate, wait for a cyclone to lift me into orbit and then deliberately die against the ground on re-entry, find some ghost matter and jump into it, or find a campfire and stand on it. ALL of those options involve burning enough time that it's faster to quit out to the main menu, wait for that to load, then wait for the main game itself to load again, which is what I ended up doing a good couple dozen times over the course of my playthrough. The absence of that menu option wasted a lot of loving time for me.

Outer Wilds' Death Wish Sensor is on a level I will never be able to comprehend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Given the number of ways in which I've bitten it, you would think!! But here's just one example: stranded on Giant's Deep without access to my ship. My only options without knowing how to access the core were wait around to suffocate, wait for a cyclone to lift me into orbit and then deliberately die against the ground on re-entry, find some ghost matter and jump into it, or find a campfire and stand on it. ALL of those options involve burning enough time that it's faster to quit out to the main menu, wait for that to load, then wait for the main game itself to load again, which is what I ended up doing a good couple dozen times over the course of my playthrough. The absence of that menu option wasted a lot of loving time for me.

Outer Wilds' Death Wish Sensor is on a level I will never be able to comprehend.

Or talk to Gabbro and learn how to meditate

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm always on the look-out for coop 2-player couch games I can stream to my TV with my Nvidia Shield, so here's a run-down of ones I've played that I can recommend if that's also your thing:

For starters, all the Lego games are obviously great but you can't plough through them back-to-back as they feel a bit samey. Fantastic if you break them up with any of the stuff below, though.

Broforce. This is side-scrolling shooting with the added madness of destructible terrain, explosions, and crazy weapons that usually combine to have you accidentally murdering each other. All the characters are Bro-puns based on movie characters like the Brominator or Brobocop. Lots of fun and utterly ridiculous. Steam says I have 12 hours in it, but just got burned out and moved onto something else before we finished it.

Double Dragon Neon. Updated take on the Double Dragon 2-player side-scrolling beat 'em up that is absolutely amazing. You HAVE to complete it just so you can experience the end credits song by the villain. You find mixtapes that let you power up special skills, along with the normal DD weapons and fight moves. Took us 17 hours or so to get though it, according to Steam.

Hero Siege. Roguelike RPG hack n slash with random zones, loot etc. Some of the gameplay is not well explained (or even explained at all) so a bit of it is still a mystery to me even after 16 hours of play, but the game is pretty fun. I have a parrot that seeks out enemies and pecks mini-bosses to death with 2 or 3 hits, so it has that going for it. Lots of classes and a number of difficulty levels. Lots of loot, too. I've got 16 hours in it so far, having completed it on the starting difficulty and now doing it again on the next one up which has meant a lot better loot drops.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Combat game featuring lots of monsters as well as some puzzle elements to get through the environment. Lots of shooting for the most part, and took us about 8 hours to finish. There's a sequel that support 4 players, but I think it's more of the same.

Lost Castle. Side-scrolling action Roguelike RPG with lots of loot for up to 4 players. This was fun, but frustratingly the devs gave up on coop to the degree that it doesn't save your progress when not playing solo. We put 9 hours into this and would have kept going if it wasn't for that. Between sessions I would try and level up our saved characters in separate solo runs, but I soon had enough of that and just moved on. A shame, really.

Neon Chrome. Top-down sci-fi shooter with procedural levels (which is okay as they are all set in buildings so the maps are fine). Various classes and weapons and destructible walls and killer robots. Upgrade your character and keep some skills between deaths. Boss battles. We put 11 or so hours into it before moving on.

Rampage Knights. We had a lot of fun with this amusing coop dungeon-crawling beat 'em up with loot drops and customisable characters. Want silly hats - you got it! Want to be able to float around the screen making GBS threads bombs while your partner uses her robotic third-arm like a steel whirlwind - we got you covered! It's got a ton of stuff in it and we put almost 30 hours in before moving onto something else.

Victor Vran. Isometric view action RPG that doesn't stray far from the mould but is good fun and very well presented. Levels have various challenges associated with them if you like to "gold star" them for some added work. Avoid this game if you hate spiders though - there are tons of them in this game. Loads of beautiful maps and lots of great voice acting, and enough loot and skills to allow for different play styles. We got over 50 hours out of this and enjoyed it a hell of a lot.

Most of those are on sale right now for under $10, some less than $5. If you need a couch coop game that works with a gamepad, I enjoyed all of these and you can see how many hours we got out of them to judge some value for money.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hardcore Mecha update:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746580/HARDCORE_MECHA/

It's very cool... but the "real" bulk of the game is multiplayer and it's completely dead so if you don't like playing against bots, you are kind of boned. Also, if you buy the base game by itself, you are prohibited from buying the bundle and saving on DLC which annoys me greatly.

Kind of a shame because the game is ok and the robot controls have a very nice weight to them. The intro to the game is amazing too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exhGhFVXHs

Interestingly enough, the kickstarter this game came from had a lot of reward tiers for backer-exclusive paint jobs, cameos and even playable characters that you cannot access at all unless you have a special password. Thankfully a lot of backers made theirs publicly available but it's interesting to think how much content there could be in there, forever locked and never to be seen by the public because MP is deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sininu posted:

Evergarden

This looks like it might be fun if you still have it? Thanks.

e: Got it, thanks buddy!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 5, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

anilEhilated posted:

I think part of the issue is that marking the locations on the map immediately reveals their purpose, drawing attention to the fact everything is either a dungeon (everyone's hostile) or a settlement (everyone's friendly). With Morrowind, it's a lot less clear-cut: a lot of the wildreness locations have NPCs going on pilgrimages, some of the tombs you rob actually have family members paying respect to ancestors, stuff like that. If you wonder into a new location in Morrowind, you don't really know what to expect unless it's a daedric temple (and even those have quests sometimes).

Meanwhile, coming up on location in Skyrim, you can take one look at the map and tell it's going to be a level-scaled bandit den. No sense of discovery whatsoever.

I'll admit the art direction might be a factor here as well, the setting of last two TES games is just boring.
This and Morrowind being an interesting place ring true, yeah.
Saying that Morrowind was fun to explore because it lacked a compass doesn't. You'd still get sent to a specific place with specific directions most of the time, teleport to the nearest settlement and the most interesting things you'd find on your way as you'd get lost in an ash storm would frequently be one thousand cliff racers to click at until they die.

I have a lot of nostalgic feelings for it but honestly, as a game, gently caress Morrowind.

Sininu posted:

I'd happily take Sword Legacy: Omen, thanks.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've put a few hours into Jedi: Fallen Order, and I can see why people have complaints about it, but I'm still enjoying it. Most of the things that annoyed me early on turned out to be not having the player skill and/or character abilities to deal with the problem effectively. I was chatting with my manager today at work, of all people (small grocery store, we were open for a few hours this morning), and he told me about force-pushing rockets back at the guy who fired them, which the game never told me I could do (he said that the game doesn't tell you). Last night, I quit after a couple attempts at dealing with 3 rocket troopers on a ledge with a chasm between us (the rest of the encounter wasn't too bad other than those 3), and when I played today, they were the easiest thing to deal with.

More short impressions: I think I hate the bounty hunters the most, because they can dual-flashbang and don't stick around for me to get revenge (at least they leave my xp behind, thanks for just rubbing it in). Oggdo Boggdo was tough, but then I discovered you could start the fight from above (even then, it took a few tries, but that made it a lot easier - I beat him before I left the planet for the first time). I like fighting Second Sister and other human(oid) single-opponent bosses (like that bounty hunter before the arena fight, until he cheated). Also, the arena fight felt like there was supposed to be more there. Flamethrower troopers are almost worse than purge troopers when they come in groups (haven't had more than one purge trooper yet). I tried going to Dathomir first thing, because it was an option, and quickly realized my mistake. BD-1 and Greez are cool, but Cere gave me major Kreia vibes from the very first conversation and I still don't trust her (not that I believe Second Sister either) (spoilered because that might be a thing later, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone else who plays games a year or more later like I do; please don't spoil it for me either way - I want to see how right/wrong I am at the end). I like the screen wipe scene transitions. Second Sister is a good villain. Killing groups of stormtroopers with their own blaster bolts never gets old. Same with force-pushing purge troopers everyone off of ledges without railings.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 4, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The two most satisfying things in Fallen Order are mowing down hordes of Stormtroopers and lightsaber duels.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Or talk to Gabbro and learn how to meditate

Ironically the scenario I described was on my first loop, so

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

SirSamVimes posted:

The two most satisfying things in Fallen Order are mowing down hordes of Stormtroopers and lightsaber duels.

Aw gently caress. I typed up all that bullshit and this is pretty much what it boils down to.

Oh, also, I forgot to mention: I've only found one poncho with the fringed edges and the woven strap and the rest are the other style that sucks, so I've been ignoring them. I hope there are more cool ponchos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a pink poncho and a pink robot through most of the game. Pretty good.