Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Iron Crowned posted:

For real. I can just pop one of my Blu-rays in the player and it works.

On the other hand I wanted to watch Demolition Man last night. It was on Hulu a month or two ago, but nope, it's gone now, so I couldn't show my roommate the joys of a post-COVID world where there is only Taco Bell.

I just had this experience with Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, it was on Netflix then it wasn't.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

limp_cheese posted:

A black guy I used ro be friends with made the same arguments ro me. He acrually defended Trump's statement when he said "there are fine people on both sides" at Charlottesville because there were local people on the side of leave the statue up. They also were not all all Nazis and White Supremacists, they came later and gave the non-racist people that want to leave the statue up a bad name. What do you do when the person being oppressed is defending the tools used by their oppressor while glorifying said oppressor? I'm also white which makes that even harder ro argue. I had to stop being friends with his Trump supporting, Alex Jones listening rear end. It was just too much.

The best talking point against this is the fact that there are no statues of Nazis in Germany... and Nazi statues were actually put up contemporaneously, unlike the Confederate statues.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

For real. I can just pop one of my Blu-rays in the player and it works.

On the other hand I wanted to watch Demolition Man last night. It was on Hulu a month or two ago, but nope, it's gone now, so I couldn't show my roommate the joys of a post-COVID world where there is only Taco Bell.

Rampant exchange of bodily fluids was a major cause of society's downfall. After SARS, there was H1N1, then there was COVID-19. One of the first things Cocteau did was to outlaw and engineer all fluid transfer out of socially acceptable behavior.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

LabyaMynora posted:

The best talking point against this is the fact that there are no statues of Nazis in Germany... and Nazi statues were actually put up contemporaneously, unlike the Confederate statues.

It would at least kind of make sense to have Nazi statues in Germany. Having Confederate statues in America is like having Nazi statues in Russia.

Where's all the memorials to Reinhard Heydrich? How is anyone gonna remember that murderous bastard without a statue?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A Libertarian talk show host I used to listen to until his dog whistles became blaring klaxons and he went full Chud made a decent point that the Heritage not Hate crowd lost their rights to many of these symbols because they didn't defend them from racists and neo-nazis.

Obviously even the Heritage not Hate movement has its own issues when that heritage is offensive to many people, but if it meant that much to them then they should have shown at least as much outrage when the KKK flew the flag as when BLM took it down.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LabyaMynora posted:

At this point there is no getting theough to him, at least I can't as a white man. It requires a certain subtlety and experiences I just don't have. Another example is he would always talk about Barbara Bush and his belief she would call him "coloured" because she is old school and how great that is. Seriously, he would go on and on about how great it would be to be called "coloured" and its ok because she is old and wouldn't know better. Just what the gently caress. Its not like he would be trying to get a rise out of me since I would just sit there uncomfortably not saying much and laughing when he laughed.

This fits in the thread since he is almost 60 and is at the tail end of Boomer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My guess would be that a lot of older black people might not mind being called "coloured" because that was the PC term to call black people back when they were younger, so it wasn't really irritating for them, so maybe they just kinda accept being called that because "meh, It ain't that bad. I've been called worse".

Re: statues and whatnot, I see some people posting poo poo up on fakebook that are all "they didn't tear down the concentration camps in europe, so why are they tearing down (Statue of confederate guy)? Never forget or whatever".

I see the point thats trying to be made, but at the same time the confederates are/were the "bad guys", so its kinda like, the statues of (general whoever the gently caress) are like having in Germany, statues of Goerring or Goebbels and Eichmann. They were the "bad guys", the opressors etc. The monuments that are still standing are to honor the oppressed not the oppressors.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

wesleywillis posted:

Re: statues and whatnot, I see some people posting poo poo up on fakebook that are all "they didn't tear down the concentration camps in europe, so why are they tearing down (Statue of confederate guy)? Never forget or whatever".

I see the point thats trying to be made, but at the same time the confederates are/were the "bad guys", so its kinda like, the statues of (general whoever the gently caress) are like having in Germany, statues of Goerring or Goebbels and Eichmann. They were the "bad guys", the opressors etc. The monuments that are still standing are to honor the oppressed not the oppressors.

But we aren't talking about tearing down Andersonville: we're talking about tearing down statues put up by the sort of people who would like to tear down Andersonville.

I mean, the whole thing is an argument made in bad faith, literally no discussion is possible because they do not accept that words mean things.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

limp_cheese posted:

A black guy I used ro be friends with made the same arguments ro me. He acrually defended Trump's statement when he said "there are fine people on both sides" at Charlottesville because there were local people on the side of leave the statue up. They also were not all all Nazis and White Supremacists, they came later and gave the non-racist people that want to leave the statue up a bad name. What do you do when the person being oppressed is defending the tools used by their oppressor while glorifying said oppressor? I'm also white which makes that even harder ro argue. I had to stop being friends with his Trump supporting, Alex Jones listening rear end. It was just too much.

An important maxim I've learned to keep close at heart about black people, trans people, etc. etc. is that, because they are people just like everyone else, they can also occasionally be gigantic loving morons.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Kenning posted:

An important maxim I've learned to keep close at heart about black people, trans people, etc. etc. is that, because they are people just like everyone else, they can also occasionally be gigantic loving morons.

The world would be a much better, simpler place if members of a group acted in the best interests of that group. Or even be counted on not to discriminate against it. Like, if black judges were 100% certain not to be racist against black people we'd have a lot lot easier time reducing bias.

It's not like there's any shortage of female anti-abortion activists.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any very fine people protesting heritage at Charlottesville ran away after the nighttime Tiki torch march. You don't see or hear about that and then go march side by side with those people unless you're a terrible loving person.

I liked the conspiracy theory that the march was organized by a George Soros proxy to make conservatives look bad, as that assumes right-wingers have so little agency, self awareness, and intelligence that they can be tricked into being racists by those shifty snowflakes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Schadenboner posted:

literally no discussion is possible because they do not accept that words mean things.

:hmmyes:

Kenning posted:

I've heard a saying, "There's always one..."

Meaning, there's always at least one person in any group who will help denigrate and oppress their group.

Like the one African-American Slave owner in the Confederacy that conservatives love to point to, as though that somehow negates the fact that the Confederacy was racist. "Hey, they let a black guy own black slaves, too!!! Not racist!!!"

There's always the gay man willing to put other gays into concentration camps. There's always a black guy willing to enslave other black people. There's always a woman who wants to take away women's rights, etc. etc. etc. Just 'cuz there's always a Ben Carson, or a Hermain Cain, or a Diamond & Silk, doesn't erase the fact that over 90% of African-Americans vote for Dems every single election because Republican policies historically have been and continue to be overwhelmingly loving awful for the African-American community ever since the Civil Rights Act was passed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LabyaMynora posted:

I've heard a saying, "There's always one..."

Meaning, there's always at least one person in any group who will help denigrate and oppress their group.

Like the one African-American Slave owner in the Confederacy that conservatives love to point to, as though that somehow negates the fact that the Confederacy was racist. "Hey, they let a black guy own black slaves, too!!! Not racist!!!"

There's always the gay man willing to put other gays into concentration camps. There's always a black guy willing to enslave other black people. There's always a woman who wants to take away women's rights, etc. etc. etc. Just 'cuz there's always a Ben Carson, or a Hermain Cain, or a Diamond & Silk, doesn't erase the fact that over 90% of African-Americans vote for Dems every single election because Republican policies historically have been and continue to be overwhelmingly loving awful for the African-American community ever since the Civil Rights Act was passed.

When I've asked him why he supports Trump and Republicans his reason is because they are racist to his face. He doesn't like the Dems because they like to pretend they are not racist while doing racist things. I understand and agree about the Dems but I don't understand why he would still support the open racists. His reasoning always comes back to "They are racist to my face so I'll support them for being honest." That somehow still feels wrong but I can't articulate why as a white man without coming off as a paternalistic racist. If I try to he shuts it down by saying he grew up in Boston so he faced terrible racism and I just can't understand, which is also true.

My life is just loving surreal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!! White guy about to paraphrase famous black man to sound credible.

I've read the Autobiography of Malcolm X a few times and he kinda said the same thing. Something like "I respect the southern(racist/republican) white man more than I do the northern (democrat, allegedly not racist) white man. Because the southern white man won't pretend that he likes me to my face while plotting behind my back".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being a minority and having lived in both North and South... yeah there's something to be said for how open Southerners can be about not liking you because of your race. They often look like backwaters who have never actually bothered to interact with people of color, but there's a benefit to knowing where you stand nice and early. Getting strung along by people up North until you've suddenly "stepped outside your lane" is not fun.

The correct response of course, is to support neither as much as you can without being apolitical, but 250+ years of two party governance has made that a very efficient impossibility.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

wesleywillis posted:

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!! White guy about to paraphrase famous black man to sound credible.

I've read the Autobiography of Malcolm X a few times and he kinda said the same thing. Something like "I respect the southern(racist/republican) white man more than I do the northern (democrat, allegedly not racist) white man. Because the southern white man won't pretend that he likes me to my face while plotting behind my back".

Malcolm X Did Not Go On To Say: Which is why I'm announcing my full support for George Wallace! Wooooo! Go George!

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so glad Malcom X died, so we didn't have to put up with his annoying rear end for another 30 years. Can you imagine?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I don't know, he definitely had a lot of poo poo to be mad about.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lil Devil posted:

I'm so glad Malcom X died, so we didn't have to put up with his annoying rear end for another 30 years. Can you imagine?

You're on a tear today huh

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if Boomers are do adverse to anyone going against the status quo is because they saw the turbulence of the 50s, 60s and 70s as kids, and never want to see that again. Yea shits bad, cops are murdering people for no reason, a virus is ravaging the land, a full quarter of everyone is unemployed and the President is a horrible toddler who can only think of himself, but do people have to go out into the street and break stuff and be loud?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if Boomers are do adverse to anyone going against the status quo is because they saw the turbulence of the 50s, 60s and 70s as kids, and never want to see that again. Yea shits bad, cops are murdering people for no reason, a virus is ravaging the land, a full quarter of everyone is unemployed and the President is a horrible toddler who can only think of himself, but do people have to go out into the street and break stuff and be loud?

quiet desperation can become a comfortable rut after 3 or 5 decades

you kids are doing a bang-up job though and i'm with you in spirit. please do keep on breaking poo poo and clamoring for justice

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The discussion upthread really revolves around internalized oppression. US society has pretty much always had elements which encourage it to develop, and in many ways it has amplified over the years. Internalized misogyny is incredibly common - you see it reflected in things from anti-feminist women to the aforementioned pro-life women to "i'M nOT liKe OtHer giRls" crap. Internalized homophobia is frequent and toxic. Internalized racism similarly so. One of the most pernicious things about internalized oppression is that it tends to absolutely murder intersectionality, as it further reinforces the sense of a societal pecking order and subconscious notions of worth that are based on inherent traits.

I think some of Boomers' bootstrapping bootlicking reflexes are influenced by this stuff, as well as a complete adoption of foundational American myths like meritocracy and that the US is a "classless society."

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
In-laws were rallying on Facebook today about Aunt Jemima.

"BY REMOVING THE NAME THEY ARE DISRESPECTING THE MEMORY OF AUNT JEMIMA AND ALL THE HARD WORK SHE PUT INTO CREATING A PRODUCT WE ALL LOVE."

Lord a-thunderin'.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I want my hard work commemorated with brown dyed high fructose corn syrup

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chocobo posted:

"BY REMOVING THE NAME THEY ARE DISRESPECTING THE MEMORY OF AUNT JEMIMA AND ALL THE HARD WORK SHE PUT INTO CREATING A PRODUCT WE ALL LOVE."

Lord a-thunderin'.

Do they think Uncle Ben his her husband, and the Cream of Wheat guy is their son?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

twistedmentat posted:

Do they think Uncle Ben his her husband, and the Cream of Wheat guy is their son?

Uncle Ben divorced her after he was converted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Chocobo posted:

Lord a-thunderin'.

never mind that the actual person that played aunt jemima came long after the actual product name/caricature.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sending patriotic texts with multiple Liberian flags. Harmless but quirky I suppose

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

dee eight posted:

you kids are doing a bang-up job though and i'm with you in spirit. please do keep on breaking poo poo and clamoring for justice

Emptyquoted for truth. I’m old and crippled and way past my prime, but I’m happy to see the righteous anger and demonstrating.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Speaking of internalized oppression.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

aunt jemima, an actual human and a dedicated entrepreneur, worked hard to sell her sugar syrup brand (now owned by pepsico), and liberal snowflakes want to erase her legacy just because of some 'racist' ads?! WHO IS JOHN GALT?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Schadenboner posted:

Uncle Ben divorced her after he was converted.

:perfect:

Also boomers are the same people who lost their poo poo about New Coke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

twistedmentat posted:

:perfect:

Also boomers are the same people who lost their poo poo about New Coke.

In fairness to them, New Coke was an extremely stupid idea done in an even stupider way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CopperHound posted:

Okay, but I can fit 200 full bit rate 4k bluerays on an external hard drive that takes the physical space of 3 movies.

Could you shingle a roof with Blueray disks?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Outrail posted:

Could you shingle a roof with Blueray disks?

They even have handy holes already made in them to put the screws through!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Boomers love to stab aggressively at touchscreens, causing their finger to slide sufficiently far across the surface of their phone for them to fail at activating whatever app icon or other UI element they're trying to press. Boomers love to do this repeatedly and mutter about it all the while, until they eventually get it right and announce "oh there we go" to everybody within earshot. Also they love to use the very tip of their index finger to do this, causing the nail to make an audible Clack each time it slams into the screen, even if they have it clipped short. Clack Clack Clack. Mutter, Mutter

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Part of my job requires me to have customers use a finger to sign things on a touch screen. It doesn't have to be the best loving signature ever, literally, you could make your mark and it wouldn't matter to me. But Boomers constantly have to both suck at using a touch screen and insist on getting every.single.letter on that loving signature line.

I learned cursive when I was in third grade and I have never, ever used it. Whenever people leave me notes in cursive, it takes a solid minute to try to decipher it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We’re doing Boomers and electronics now?

My mom got addicted to $50 Amazon Fire tablets. She had a Kindle and she had an iPad, but she also had 3 cheap Amazon Fire tablets that she’d swap out when they ran out of juice. Props to Amazon for perfecting their ‘buy once read everywhere’ ecosystem, because it worked. Just toss that tablet in a drawer, grab the next one, and keep reading. Eventually I got her a 6 foot long charging cable so she could charge and use a device at the same time. Still, WTF. You’ve got an e-ink Kindle right there that lasts longer than 3 hours on a charge and is infinitely easier on the eyes.

Although in retrospect maybe she was having problems with the font and I never showed her how to make it bigger. Sorry, mom. At least I got you that 6 foot microUSB cable.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Krispy Wafer posted:

We’re doing Boomers and electronics now?

My mom got addicted to $50 Amazon Fire tablets. She had a Kindle and she had an iPad, but she also had 3 cheap Amazon Fire tablets that she’d swap out when they ran out of juice. Props to Amazon for perfecting their ‘buy once read everywhere’ ecosystem, because it worked. Just toss that tablet in a drawer, grab the next one, and keep reading. Eventually I got her a 6 foot long charging cable so she could charge and use a device at the same time. Still, WTF. You’ve got an e-ink Kindle right there that lasts longer than 3 hours on a charge and is infinitely easier on the eyes.

Although in retrospect maybe she was having problems with the font and I never showed her how to make it bigger. Sorry, mom. At least I got you that 6 foot microUSB cable.

My mom at one point kept breaking lovely 300 dollar laptops, so the last time she bought 2 just so she could have a backup once the new one broke...I told her to stop buying the most rock bottom lovely laptop but she will not listen to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

A White Guy posted:

Part of my job requires me to have customers use a finger to sign things on a touch screen. It doesn't have to be the best loving signature ever, literally, you could make your mark and it wouldn't matter to me. But Boomers constantly have to both suck at using a touch screen and insist on getting every.single.letter on that loving signature line.

I learned cursive when I was in third grade and I have never, ever used it. Whenever people leave me notes in cursive, it takes a solid minute to try to decipher it.

That's probably because half the people who hand you one of those loving devil machines will stare at you in disgust and ask "And just what is this supposed to say" after making you sign your name on a 2x1" surface with your finger.

I'm thinking about getting into calligraphy.