Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

And green milk is good, dammit.

Edit: On that note. I wonder what kinda food they'll have at Nintendo World. Obviously a cupcake or something that looks like a mushroom...

galaxy’s edge astroturfing account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: On that note. I wonder what kinda food they'll have at Nintendo World. Obviously a cupcake or something that looks like a mushroom...

That cupcake is an absolute gimme, I'll say invincibility star frosted cookie, yoshi egg candy, and my longshot, fire flower ghost pepper cracker

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fartington Butts posted:

Yoshi cookies, pasta and pizza, mushroom stuff, probably all sorts of sweets that are just shaped like Mario things, Luncheon Kingdom Soup

They should have a Chili Dog stand that is designed to look old and abandoned and doesn't actually serve anything or have anyone working at it

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

They should have a Chili Dog stand that is designed to look old and abandoned and doesn't actually serve anything or have anyone working at it

Put a couple'a blue quills sticking out of it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That cake princess peach makes in paper Mario. Hell, all the cakes peach makes in every game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Galaxy's Edge appeals to me because I'm really big into RPGs and interactive/immersive theatre, so it presses all the right buttons. Star Wars is at its most fun when you're thinking about and creating original stories instead of aping the films.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah the real genius of GE is that it feels like a real place you’d see in a Star Wars film and is absolutely packed with tiny details even if the overall wow factor is packed into the ships. Look closer and there’s a ton of stuff to geek out over.

My husband had a passionate talk about some sort of information that was wrong on one of the plaques at Launch Bay (he hasn't been since 2016) and they'd fixed it when I went back next to what he'd said (and assumably lots of other Star Wars info nuts, too, as it was apparently a pretty glaring error. I don't know enough about Star Wars to understand it).

...What I'm saying is, he doesn't need tiny details to geek out about and I'm gonna need a leash at Galaxy's Edge.

chitoryu12 posted:

Galaxy's Edge appeals to me because I'm really big into RPGs and interactive/immersive theatre, so it presses all the right buttons. Star Wars is at its most fun when you're thinking about and creating original stories instead of aping the films.

I'm also this person but I'm also go go go go in a theme park and unless I have serious cash to throw down for a lot of days in the parks, I can't see me doing all of those things so I just kind of get frustrated a bit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My biggest issue with GE is I can’t spend 10 minutes hanging out in the falcon

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Podcast: The Ride recent episode on cruises has forever changed how I view Galaxy's Edge.

It's an in-universe tourist trap port town! The locals in Batuu are pretending/exaggerating to be like this cause the in-universe galactic cruise liner (actual hotel disney building) tourists expect it.

Soon as you leave the port on Batuu it probably become a more normal city not relying on tourist dollars.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah the real genius of GE is that it feels like a real place you’d see in a Star Wars film and is absolutely packed with tiny details even if the overall wow factor is packed into the ships. Look closer and there’s a ton of stuff to geek out over.
Just the amount of dirty and rusty-looking conduit, junction boxes, cables, etc that you know logically is only a year or two old is pretty impressive when you walk through it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Galaxy's Edge is a really weird idea, because no matter how hard Disney tries to nail a distant location the vast majority of people are wearing mouse ears, sports team logos, World's Greatest Dad etc as Disney visitors usually do. No matter how much ren faire cosplay stuff you do, the tourists all still look the same.

It kind of reminds me of those messages in the Indiana Jones queue that they forgot about in less than a decade.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Galaxy's Edge is a really weird idea, because no matter how hard Disney tries to nail a distant location the vast majority of people are wearing mouse ears, sports team logos, World's Greatest Dad etc as Disney visitors usually do. No matter how much ren faire cosplay stuff you do, the tourists all still look the same.

It kind of reminds me of those messages in the Indiana Jones queue that they forgot about in less than a decade.

Yes, but as recent months have shown all good Americans simply don't see anyone else that's around them.

Kidding. You have a good point. I feel like it kinda also works inversely. People walkin' around with lightsabers in all the other lands is a little strange. Especially the people who turn 'em on in dark rides :argh:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually think Pandora works better for that because it's very in character for the outside faction in that story to come up with a propaganda scheme where they bring a bunch of defenseless fat guys in park shirts and little girls in princess dresses to Pandora and show how safe and non-threatening it is. Whereas it doesn't make sense for the Star Wars universe to have a place where everybody is walking around with lightsabers, even replica ones.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Maybe we're all from a planet where we dress like normal human beings who deal with problems by not murdering for the most part. And maybe the rest of the universe died from melodrama overdose once it was no longer long, long ago.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

We're all from a planet where we may not show our mouths.

(What I'm saying is they should be selling that weird mask that Lando has at the beginning of Return of the Jedi)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chitoryu12 posted:

This reminds me, has anyone here been to Evermore? What's that like?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the coolest part of GE as a mega fan is that its part of canon, you can meet characters from the movies and the books, and comics, and you feel like you are there. if you really immerse yourself in the world fiction of Star Wars, its super rewarding. it wouldn't be as good if they just recreated something straight from the movie. also Rise of the Resistance was really fuckin cool

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm also this person but I'm also go go go go in a theme park and unless I have serious cash to throw down for a lot of days in the parks, I can't see me doing all of those things so I just kind of get frustrated a bit.

Supposedly the interactive theater stuff is to be part of the hotel experience. You can get a good amount of backstory stuff if you play the app, I think. I didn’t get to do very much of the app stuff. There’s also a novel that sets up the backstory of the land. Savi’s is cool and adds to the experience but just doing rise and falcon, wandering the markets, going in Oga’s for a drink, and seeing the walkaround characters should be quite good and can be done in one day. And if you’re feeling ready to throw your cash into the garbage you can buy blue and green milk.

Props to the cosplayers in GE but I can’t imagine devoting that much luggage space to it or putting in the time to make the outfits. People have serious outfits.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CelticPredator posted:

My biggest issue with GE is I can’t spend 10 minutes hanging out in the falcon

I mean, you could if you just pretend not to hear the cast member when they call your group color :v:

Boxman posted:

Galaxys Edge is sort of a disappointment if you want to play “I recognize that thing” (with one very big and obvious exception,) right? Super Mario Land seems like it’s a massive pile of things from the games. Both of these are valid approaches.

Not to pile on, but yeah I couldn’t disagree with this more. Galaxy’s Edge is absolutely filled with visual Easter eggs. Some of them are probably only noticeable if you’re a big fuckin Star Wars nerd like me but there are little touches everywhere you look. And the Datapad app adds an entire new layer to the park. It’s really incredibly done. If all you recognize is the Falcon then that’s fine, but there is recognizable stuff all over the place.

poo poo, some of it is even stuff referencing things that didn’t even exist yet when GE opened. Like the Mandalorian’s insignia hanging in plain sight in Dok Ondar’s months before Disney+ ever launched.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boxman posted:

This reminds me, has anyone here been to Evermore? What's that like?

It's a secret

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Quixotic1 posted:

Podcast: The Ride recent episode on cruises has forever changed how I view Galaxy's Edge.

It's an in-universe tourist trap port town! The locals in Batuu are pretending/exaggerating to be like this cause the in-universe galactic cruise liner (actual hotel disney building) tourists expect it.

Soon as you leave the port on Batuu it probably become a more normal city not relying on tourist dollars.

I heard this the other day and lol yes. I thought that was a great comment.

I've expressed my feelings on Galaxies Edge before... oh wow, I was first there exactly a year ago.... anyway... which is that GE feels like a planet you'd visit in a Knights of the Old Republic style Star Wars RPG video game. There's the main quest (Rise), the side quest you have to do once, but can do over and over if you want more money (Falcon), a place to get a special weapon upgrade (Savis), a bunch of little optional side quests on the data pad app, and then a variety of shops and stalls where you can buy stuff.

So when the imagineers say they built Batuu with the idea of you creating your own adventure... yeah. I get that. 100%.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Hazo posted:

poo poo, some of it is even stuff referencing things that didn’t even exist yet when GE opened. Like the Mandalorian’s insignia hanging in plain sight in Dok Ondar’s months before Disney+ ever launched.

This has been a thing since the OT, it's on Boba Fett's left pauldron.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Maybe they meant the Mudhorn sigil.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah I’m not talking about the mythosaur skull, I meant this thing hanging on the wall behind Dok.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Hazo posted:

Yeah I’m not talking about the mythosaur skull, I meant this thing hanging on the wall behind Dok.

ah, gotcha, very cool

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I mean, if you want to get technical, his pulse rifle was used by Boba Fett in the animated segment of the Holiday Special. But that's a stretch when it comes to "canon"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I mean, if you want to get technical, his pulse rifle was used by Boba Fett in the animated segment of the Holiday Special. But that's a stretch when it comes to "canon"

I was talking about the banner but that’s a good observation too.

Semi related: if you want a good laugh, there’s a great bit in the last episode of the Mandalorian behind-the-scenes where Jon Favreau brings George Lucas onto the set and proudly asks George what he thinks of them using the rifle from the Holiday Special. And George has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about because George Lucas doesn’t give the slightest gently caress about Star Wars.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Considering how heavily involved he was with Clone Wars and the prequels, he cared at least as recently as a couple years ago.

But specifically he didn't recognize the rifle because he had nothing to do with the holiday special.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was exaggerating, but even with Clone Wars I remember hearing stories of Dave Filoni bringing him to the set and talking to him about established Star Wars canon and George not having the slightest clue what he was on about.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So I guess now there’s a rumor that Disney is working with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al on updating the Hall of Presidents. Which. Yes. Please. Yessssss

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

So I guess now there’s a rumor that Disney is working with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al on updating the Hall of Presidents. Which. Yes. Please. Yessssss

man maybe that's your thing but I'm not into it. I'm not a fan of Miranda and I like my HoP pretty serious :smith:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I love both Lin Manuel and Weird Al but I think this is a case where you have 2 incredibly good lyricists that I don't think would work well on collaboration. Pick one or the other.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ayato0222usj/status/1279391172436213761

Red eyed Thwomps at night goodness me

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

man maybe that's your thing but I'm not into it. I'm not a fan of Miranda and I like my HoP pretty serious :smith:

I think the alternative is the end of the attraction and a bunch of AA parts going to Epcot and Splash Mountain 2. They are not happy with hosting a virtual rally at MK anymore and it seems going back to the point where only Lincoln speaks is unacceptable.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the historical narrative has started to turn on a lot of those guys and the latest animatronic is an overt senile fascist who may or may not go down in history as destroying America as we know it. It's probably more offensive than Splash Mountain in a lot of ways. American Adventure at least pays lip service to genocide and racism having existed once in a faraway time, but this straight up has Pants-making GBS threads Hitler stumbling through a generic speech to cap it off.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I like the calm, educational vibe of Hall of Presidents and Spaceship Earth. A chill, relaxing ride/show is a nice contrast to the otherwise energetic everything else in Disney.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Splash's problem (and the reason the online petition only hastened the announcement and it would have happened anyway) is that there's limited merchandising opportunities. They took a vertical slice of a story and tried really hard to make it inoffensive, but there's only so many Brer Rabbit plushies you can sell if you're not selling the movie and the source work is written in a 'southern slavery' vernacular like, "yes sah we sure lovin' dis E-tikkit flume." And people already complained when that was presented in traditional English.

HoP's issues is a whole 'nother dimension entirely. Again, in my mind they should have just stopped letting incumbents speak, which only started after the show was 20 years old because someone in the company liked Bill Clinton. I kinda don't want it to go away altogether because I thought the George W Bush version I saw, which had a film at the start about just how terrible slavery was and how it was a can kicked down the road since the declaration of independence, was a useful history lesson for, well, the greater multi-state region. "The civil war was a justified inevitability that the founders tried to ignore" was a good message in a country that allowed so many Confederate monuments to begin with.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 6, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the historical narrative has started to turn on a lot of those guys and the latest animatronic is an overt senile fascist who may or may not go down in history as destroying America as we know it. It's probably more offensive than Splash Mountain in a lot of ways. American Adventure at least pays lip service to genocide and racism having existed once in a faraway time, but this straight up has Pants-making GBS threads Hitler stumbling through a generic speech to cap it off.

I always thought Disney was not-so-subtly trolling him by having him read a speech that is more or less "my Presidency is temporary and better days are ahead (once I'm gone)." I'm going to continue believing that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

I always thought Disney was not-so-subtly trolling him by having him read a speech that is more or less "my Presidency is temporary and better days are ahead (once I'm gone)." I'm going to continue believing that.

Not as good as removing his animatronic while he's still alive to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine if they use the parts from trumps animatronic for Tiana :newlol: