Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I remember hearing in Latin class that the difference between Romanian and Latin was mostly down to vocabulary not structure.

But I was p.poo poo at languages so I don't know if ol' Magister Medicus was "taking the piss" (as the kids say these days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The local romance languages before modern nationalism were pretty much a continuum. Someone in southern France would be speaking a language much more similar to someone in northern Italy than northern France

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

aren't Spanish and Italian still mutually intelligible?

cheetah7071 posted:

The local romance languages before modern nationalism were pretty much a continuum. Someone in southern France would be speaking a language much more similar to someone in northern Italy than northern France

Both of these are correct and there a gradients between. A Spanish person with a good language ear will understand Italian by substituting unfamiliar sounds etc, one without a good ear will be flummoxed. But Spanish hasn't been Spanish continuously for 1000 years, just like any other language it has moved and with trade and connections it grows into its neighbors. And yeah before nationalism or even Napoleon there were many regional romance languages (Basque a lonely island), which are all post Roman divergences AFAIK. It's very sad how nationalism or similar ideologies even in very recent years has been trying to squash them instead of highlighting their heritage.They aren't Gaulish remnants themselves but divergences from whatever the empire hoi polloi pig latin was, which probably had Gaulish remnants mixed in.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If all of Western Europe had been taken over by a single foreign power like India, one standard Romance language would have probably arisen. If you can make Gascon "French" and Sicilian "Italian" then you can figure out a way to standardize the whole bucket.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Last I'll post on this derail: you see, white people have longer tongues than Koreans so we can speak English properly and they can't. If you cut the frenulum under the tongue, it lets you speak English better. It's not a common surgery, but it is emblematic of the weird race-linked language beliefs that are quite common.

Oh my God dude

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

aren't Spanish and Italian still mutually intelligible?

As a native spanish speaker, it's somewhat difficult for me to understand someone speaking Italian but if it's written down I have very little trouble understanding it. I also can understand Brazilian Portuguese due to a combination of similarity and exposure, but continental Portuguese is like some kind of weird cipher that is almost, but not quite, impossible for me to understand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grand Fromage posted:

Accent is weird. Some people seem to be able to sound native at any age they learn a language, others can speak a language fluently but just cannot get rid of the accent no matter what they do. It certainly seems like your chances of sounding native are better the younger you are. I'm one of the latter, I am not bad at learning languages but I cannot pronounce them like a native, I do my best but I'm always going to sound like an English speaker.

I'm the opposite, my pronunciation is great but I struggle to learn vocabulary, so native speakers of other languages assume I have much more fluency than I do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mwah awsee

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Fair, and now I'm thinking about the fact that most of my first generation immigrant friends had parents who refused to teach them their native language and enforced English only out of a misguided belief that speaking both languages would make them unable to assimilate/speak English properly.

I remember hearing this belief described as a relic of early theories of childhood development. In the USA and probably Europe too, psychologists feared bilingualism would not only negatively effect language skills, but also IQ. I think there is some evidence bilingual kids have somewhat smaller vocabularies than their monolingual peers, but that's only because tons of the words they've learn in their life are in the other language.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If all of Western Europe had been taken over by a single foreign power like India, one standard Romance language would have probably arisen. If you can make Gascon "French" and Sicilian "Italian" then you can figure out a way to standardize the whole bucket.

France does technically still have at least 4 separate romance languages with native speaking communities in its borders to this day.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
that thing you look at when you think too hard about a word did an article on this

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh my God dude

Pretty sure GF is describing their beliefs, not professing his own

Don Gato posted:

As a native spanish speaker, it's somewhat difficult for me to understand someone speaking Italian but if it's written down I have very little trouble understanding it. I also can understand Brazilian Portuguese due to a combination of similarity and exposure, but continental Portuguese is like some kind of weird cipher that is almost, but not quite, impossible for me to understand.

Are you American or European, out of curiosity?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If only we were as well-educated as a 9th-century teenager.

https://twitter.com/johnpauldickson/status/1278997229068406789?s=20

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a lot of that education would come from the fact that the average 18 year old student probably came from a much richer family than one now, as well as a different focus while he was growing up which would skew the numbers a lot. The average 9th century teenager probably wasn't even literate, after all.

Fuschia tude posted:

Are you American or European, out of curiosity?

American, grew up speaking Mexican Spanish.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chamale posted:

Read more: Probably not, even an indifferent student now is exposed to titanic amounts of written work and would have been exposed to far more books, even if they were things like "Progress and Priorities: the History of Oregon" in 7th grade.

More languages: That guy probably knew Latin, Greek or both, but not living languages.

Logic: Depends what you mean by logic but almost certainly had had more formal training on average

Music: Assuming they had written music at all, quite plausible

Mathematics: Unlikely, I seem to recall that "al-Gebra" was not known to this period, to say nothing of statistics

Astronomy: Possibly, but it would have been bullshit

The modern day student would have almost certainly travelled more, would be better at a wide range of other skills (even if only in passing), would be immune to a wide range of common diseases, would likely have five or six inches on his peers, and would also be infinitely more numerous than Mr. York. Also he would be aware of the existence of Neptune Uranus.

Advantage: Modernity

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Chamale posted:

In the follow up quotes he qualifies everything so much that his position ends up being "early medieval students knew a lot more than modern students about the stuff that medieval students studied" which is true, but also extremely banal. Neanderthal teenagers knew more than us about flint knapping and plant identification, and in the future space teenangers will know more about the history of the pan-Galactic cyberwar.

What twitter trad guy is trying to imply is that the stuff 9h century students learned is better and more useful than what modern students learn, so modern students should study like 9th century ones. But that such a self evidently dumb thing that he doesn't actually dare to defend that position.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 5, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1279501467972448263?s=19

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Since the Catholic Church is one of the few institutions that has existed since the time of the Roman Empire, how much does the Tridentine Mass (Latin Mass) resemble Roman traditions of worship?

If we could go back to pagan Rome, would the worship in the temples look like a Catholic Mass or has the Church gone through so many iterations that it no longer looks like how things would have been done in Roman times?

Did the Romans have group worship services? I always feel like popular culture depicts the the worship of any pagan diety as an individual thing and not as a group project, if that makes sense.

Modern Latin mass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teL-UsRSf7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqkqc2-iteQ

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

York didn't have a university back then, and a student from Zabid (Yemen) showing up in York 800 CE would be really strange. Also, it would be time traveler, as the proto-university of Zabid, one of the first university-like institutions founded, was founded around 820 CE.

But at least a student from an Islamic university would know a lot more about astronomy then whatever bullshit was running around Europe around that time. Advantage: Islam.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nessus posted:

Mathematics: Unlikely, I seem to recall that "al-Gebra" was not known to this period, to say nothing of statistics
While this is true, you forgot "the number zero", meaning we don't have to go any further than first grade to prove that tweet is idiocy produced by a blithering moron. Zero hadn't even spread to Arabic in 800 (it took another decade according to Wikipedia), let alone the other side of the continent.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Nessus posted:

Read more: Probably not, even an indifferent student now is exposed to titanic amounts of written work and would have been exposed to far more books, even if they were things like "Progress and Priorities: the History of Oregon" in 7th grade.

More languages: That guy probably knew Latin, Greek or both, but not living languages.

Logic: Depends what you mean by logic but almost certainly had had more formal training on average

Music: Assuming they had written music at all, quite plausible

Astronomy: Possibly, but it would have been bullshit

The modern day student would have almost certainly travelled more, would be better at a wide range of other skills (even if only in passing), would be immune to a wide range of common diseases, would likely have five or six inches on his peers, and would also be infinitely more numerous than Mr. York. Also he would be aware of the existence of Neptune Uranus.

Advantage: Modernity

Not having Twitter is a pretty huge advantage on the side of the 9th century, they probably were smarter than us.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PeterCat posted:

Since the Catholic Church is one of the few institutions that has existed since the time of the Roman Empire, how much does the Tridentine Mass (Latin Mass) resemble Roman traditions of worship?

As you'd expect from the name, the Tridentine mass dates back to the Council of Trent. It was created in the 1570s. So probably not so much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chamale posted:

There was like 40 students tho

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Epicurius posted:

As you'd expect from the name, the Tridentine mass dates back to the Council of Trent. It was created in the 1570s. So probably not so much.

True, but that had to be based on an older form, which was based on an older form, etc.

From what I have read, it looks like there were many festivals for particular gods, and sacrifices could be made on behalf of a group of people as well as individual sacrifices made, but were there any group participation rituals in ancient Rome?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chamale posted:

Those 18 year olds wouldn't be able to eat chocolate or pizza, take a shot of whiskey, smoke a cigarette, or read the internet while sitting on a flush toilet.

Although that last thought does remind me of my favorite artifact from 9th century York:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyds_Bank_coprolite

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fuschia tude posted:

Pretty sure GF is describing their beliefs, not professing his own

Indeed. I thought the sarcasm came through but, the dangers of text. I do not, for the record, believe languages are linked to race. I have just had a lot of conversations with people who do believe that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Indeed. I thought the sarcasm came through but, the dangers of text. I do not, for the record, believe languages are linked to race. I have just had a lot of conversations with people who do believe that.

I was just reacting to it in general

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PeterCat posted:

Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy is much closer to how Roman Christians would have worshiped in late antiquity, and it is how Roman Christians worshiped in the Middle Ages. Roman Catholic mass in its present form is a relatively distant descendent of the same liturgical tradition.

PeterCat posted:

If we could go back to pagan Rome, would the worship in the temples look like a Catholic Mass or has the Church gone through so many iterations that it no longer looks like how things would have been done in Roman times?

Did the Romans have group worship services? I always feel like popular culture depicts the the worship of any pagan diety as an individual thing and not as a group project, if that makes sense.

Traditional Roman religious services did not take place inside temples and bore little resemblance to Christian liturgy. The temple building is where the god lives, but the rituals are done out front, in public where everyone can see. (The Latin word “templum” actually means not specifically the building, but the whole sacred precinct including the space outside where people would gather.) The public did not participate in these religious rites except by bearing witness to them; the activities of prayer and sacrifice were always conducted by priests or other state officials. One could, in some circumstances, enter the temple interior to make one’s own smaller offerings. Most people would also have had a household shrine to offer and pray to the Lares. The communal quality of Christian religious services was not associated with traditional Roman religion, though there were some pan-Mediterranean cults that seem to have had a similar structure — Mithraism for example.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lawman 0 posted:

I was just reacting to it in general

Ah, okay. I am with you then.

The surgery is fairly rare thankfully, but the reasoning behind it is not.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The earliest desciption of a Christian religious ceremony, btw, comes from Justin Martyr, who was executed in 165.

quote:

On the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/DigitalMapsAW/status/1279794197705482240?s=09

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

There was like 40 students tho

Also, student of where? Even Oxford doesn't go back that far. Monasteries maybe but then you're not even talking about the ancestors of modern universities in the UK (Oxford's founding is fuzzy but even Univ's almost certainly bullshit claims of being founded by Alfred the Great go only so far as 872), which, as you point out, in any case were teaching a much smaller segment of the population.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

skasion posted:

Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy is much closer to how Roman Christians would have worshiped in late antiquity, and it is how Roman Christians worshiped in the Middle Ages. Roman Catholic mass in its present form is a relatively distant descendent of the same liturgical tradition.

Traditional Roman religious services did not take place inside temples and bore little resemblance to Christian liturgy. The temple building is where the god lives, but the rituals are done out front, in public where everyone can see. (The Latin word “templum” actually means not specifically the building, but the whole sacred precinct including the space outside where people would gather.) The public did not participate in these religious rites except by bearing witness to them; the activities of prayer and sacrifice were always conducted by priests or other state officials. One could, in some circumstances, enter the temple interior to make one’s own smaller offerings. Most people would also have had a household shrine to offer and pray to the Lares. The communal quality of Christian religious services was not associated with traditional Roman religion, though there were some pan-Mediterranean cults that seem to have had a similar structure — Mithraism for example.

Thanks, this is just what I was wondering about!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

feedmegin posted:

Also, student of where? Even Oxford doesn't go back that far. Monasteries maybe but then you're not even talking about the ancestors of modern universities in the UK (Oxford's founding is fuzzy but even Univ's almost certainly bullshit claims of being founded by Alfred the Great go only so far as 872), which, as you point out, in any case were teaching a much smaller segment of the population.

I think he's talking about people being educated for the priesthood

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Epicurius posted:

The earliest desciption of a Christian religious ceremony, btw, comes from Justin Martyr, who was executed in 165.

This reads like the broad strokes of a modern Catholic mass.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This reads like the broad strokes of a modern Catholic mass.

I mean, it is.. The basic structure of Catholic and Orthodox worship services hasn't changed that much since early Christianity, even though a lot of details and rituals have changed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think he's talking about people being educated for the priesthood

Hence why I mentioned monasteries (though this is also what mediaeval universities were for). The concept of a student in 800 just doesn't map onto students now.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 5, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not ancient history but AI has revolutionized early motion picture. I know you saw it with They Shall Not Grow Old but now the technology is available to enthusiasts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHJXlrL87k

I like the guy at 2:00 who has the presence of mind to strike a pose and smile while everyone else stares.

Better restoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1OgQL9_Cw

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 5, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter%27s_School,_York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lovely, but over here at least, 'student' tends to mean someone who goes to a university. This is a school for children. Comparing what 11 year olds were taught back then to what a 19 year old learns at the University of York today seems even more of a stretch!