Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cats was everything people said about it. Saw it at a sing along showing with a costume contest and free cat ears for everyone and glow sticks etc. which isn’t the kind of thing I normally go in for but it hasn’t been ritualized to death yet so it was a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Seems like an appropriate time to finally get around to watching take shelter and drat, outstanding film. Really effective at building tension and then that ending. Really loved the score too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A girl walks home alone at night. I appreciate a film that takes its sweet time.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enemy was weird

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Under the Skin was weird

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lobster was weird, and hilarious

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Insidious was fun, just a fun ol horror movie, not very scary.

Saving Grace was an extremely pre 9/11 comedy with terrible music but it was cute.

All about Eve is fully sick,loved the acidic wit in the dialogue. The performances were obviously incredible. Glad I finally saw this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The wild goose Lake was kind of a weird one. Very nice looking but unpleasant, it didn't have the wit I like in noir but maybe that's a result of the translation. Somehow my local art house has a deal to stream the films they would be showing, not as good as the theater but it's cheaper than two tickets

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Knives out was great. Rian Johnson holds a similar place to the Coens for me, great dialogue and genre pastiche, just don't give him too big a budget

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bacurau owns, Udo Kier owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i watched the first lone wolf and cub movie and it kicked rear end. especially when suddenly the shadow ninja leader was watching Ogami fighting in his home estate and freaked out when he stepped into a river adn unleashed his Hidden Sword of River Wave attack.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Harakiri (1962). Absolute masterpiece, I’ll be thinking about this one for a long time. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and the lead actor gave a fantastic performance.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

High life was impressively unpleasant but it’s cool. That part near the end with the dogs was funny. Also didn’t realize Andre 3000 was in it until the credits lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wasn't prepared for how insane A Fall From Grace turned out to be

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Nightingale has probably surpassed The Proposition as "most relentlessly brutal Australian film." It's set during the Black War of the 1820s when British colonists on the penal colony of Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) committed genocide on the aboriginal population there. Excellent performances but definitely not for the faint of heart.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

secretary. 2002 seems a little late to have extremely bad green screen compositing but it was charming

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Scoob was pretty alright, had some nice Hanna Barbara callbacks, but I wish the rest of the gang had more screentime.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In the last 10 days I've watched

Midsommar (liked)

The Lighthouse (didn't like)

and

Hereditary, in that order. (not sure yet)

Hereditary was last night... and I'm not sure what I think about movies that REQUIRE a second viewing to completely understand. It doesn't feel like good storytelling for nothing to make sense the first 90 minutes, and then the last 15 you exposition everything going on. It definitely had some severely spooky moments, though.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The correct answer for all of those was (liked it) so you've failed. Do not pass go, do not correct $200

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

What's Up Doc (1972). I don't think screwball comedies are really my thing, I found Barbra Streisand completely mystifying in a bad way. The chase scene was fun at least.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Clementine was lower stakes than I expected. all the major characters were kind of lovely but redeemable. I don't think I've seen that sort of "first love" story from the other perspective before.

On a different note I finally understand what mumblecore is, most of the dialogue was barely audible and it was mixed so low I had to turn my volume up higher than with anything I've watched previously

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Saw midsomnar and thought the horror was pretty subtle though i guess I was expecting more slasher horror from the movie .

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Finally saw portrait of a lady on fire. I was planning to see it the day my local theater closed. Extremely good film. Loved the chemistry between the actors, the photography, everything.

Hulu loving sucks though, I haven't seen such a low quality video stream in years

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roma was pretty good.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I liked Roma a lot. It was cool how cuaron put a scene from all of his other movies into it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Community service announcement: if anyone feels the urge to watch the sci-fi movie High Life on Netflix, don't. It's one of the most execrable wastes of time I've ever had the misfortune to watch. It has two settings: dull, and relentlessly unpleasant, which it switches between without rhyme or reason. The mumbled dialogue is stilted and unnatural. The characters have no clear motivation, and the premise and setting of the movie is so poorly conveyed through the action and dialogue that there are several scenes and voiceovers that have been clearly shoehorned in during the editing process to try to patch the gaps. They did not succeed. The director is clearly unable to distinguish between 'controversial' and 'gratuitous'. It's unbelievably pretentious and extremely undeservedly so.

This is not the kind of bad movie that you can watch in order to enjoy the trainwreck factor. This is worse than The Room. This is worse than the 2017 remake of Dirty Dancing. This makes Ed Wood look like James Cameron. There is no joy to be found in its badness, just a series of increasingly weary utterances of "oh for gently caress's sake" every time the bar is lowered until you wonder whether it's possible to die simultaneously from boredom and disgust.

It's the worst movie I've ever seen.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Dr. Sleep was pretty good. A weird combo of superhero movie meets horror. It was way too blatant with the whole "THIS IS THE SHINING 2" bit but other than that I enjoyed it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
High-Rise

Well i suppose that's one possible class war scenario?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've gone back and gotten high to watch a bunch of 80s cheese over the last few months. Most recent one was Soul Man, the highly controversial movie about a white guy who takes tanning pills to qualify for a full scholarship to Harvard Law.

Definitely a bad movie and should never have been made. It plays the thing pretty straight as a typical 80s hare-brained scheme with moral lessons learned at the climax and less of an incredibly awful thing for a human being to do.

Ghost Dad is a terrible movie, but it somehow managed to be so bad that it circled back into being funny as hell, albeit unintentionally.

No Retreat No Surrender is a must watch and a cinematic tour de force.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Knife + heart was great, as good at nailing a bygone filmic aesthetic as the love witch. The m83 soundtrack was excellent

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Häxan - Really funny pseudo-documentary about witchcraft and one of the most impressive silent films I've seen. There's stop-motion, excellent costume and set design, and a really impressive special effect of witches flying over a medieval town on broomsticks. The tone of the movie is "wow isn't it wild people actually believed this poo poo?" The final chapter of the movie even pokes fun at the modern "enlightened" approach of labeling all erstwhile symptoms of witchcraft as "hysteria."

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of Swedish movies I rewatched Smala Sussie today and god drat it's a good weird as hell movie and you should see it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The other guys. I enjoy dumb comedies so this was good, to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Under Siege, where Steven Seagal vogues while knife fighting Tommie Lee Jones on a battleship. Terrorists were zany characters who did it for fun and money in the 90s.

Prune
Aug 17, 2020
Deep Red, i loved the odd camera work and gore.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched The Death of Dick Long which is the most successful American attempt at cringe comedy I’ve seen, it’s great

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just watched Good Morning Vietnam for the first time. I’m supposed to like the Robin Williams character but he’s actually kind of gross and unsympathetic in some ways what with the going after a random local girl he sees on the street and being pissy while having one of the least poo poo military jobs in Vietnam. So what if there are a couple of guys cramping your style, just do your term and get out. Movie did get better once the inevitable VC subplot happened and it wasn’t nonstop creeping by the DJ. Williams improv bits were funny as always.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Just saw Ava.

I liked it. Some good action and rooted for the antagonist which is always fun although I'm not sure if it's just because I like the actor.

The final fight between Simon and Ava was great just in the way that they both got obviously exhausted

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just watched Mulan. From the very beginning the film told me that kungfu is bad actually. I struggled with that because kungfu is good, but girl does it therefore bad. Mulan talks to no one and doesn't develope beyond being good at kungfu and bad at talking. This isn't the woman from the ballads or the joyful tomboy of the cartoon. The tone is fine being all grimdark, but it gets undermined by taking every opportunity to callback to the cartoon. Orchestral versions of the disney songs are teased, but the joy is gone. It feels like they just play the tune to let my memory of those cartoon scenes fill in the character motivations and development. Mulan is hero because chi and that's p shallow.

Sets pretty tho.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a comedy relief tiny Dragon?