Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

n95s only magically become effective once you cross a glass door that says "inpatient"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

quote:

“There is no incontrovertible proof that SARS-CoV-2 travels or is transmitted significantly by aerosols, but there is absolutely no evidence that it’s not,” said Dr. Trish Greenhalgh, a primary care doctor at the University of Oxford in Britain.

“So at the moment we have to make a decision in the face of uncertainty, and my goodness, it’s going to be a disastrous decision if we get it wrong,” she said. “So why not just mask up for a few weeks, just in case?”

After all, the W.H.O. seems willing to accept without much evidence the idea that the virus may be transmitted from surfaces, she and other researchers noted, even as other health agencies have stepped back emphasizing this route.

“I agree that fomite transmission is not directly demonstrated for this virus,” Dr. Allegranzi, the W.H.O.’s technical lead on infection control, said, referring to objects that may be infectious. “But it is well known that other coronaviruses and respiratory viruses are transmitted, and demonstrated to be transmitted, by contact with fomite.”

this gets me

i support the WHO in general and think we should at least double their funding if we want to do better in the future but they have really made a lot of mistakes that need to be recognized

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
OH WAIT COVID SPREADS THROUGH EXHALED DROPLETS IS THAT WHY WE'RE SUPPOSED TO WEAR MASKS? I THOUGHT THE MASKS WERE JUST PHASE ONE OF THE UPCOMING ONE WORLD ORDER UNITED NATIONS GLOBAL HOLOCAUST THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME I'LL WEAR A MASK NOW

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i wonder how many medical supplies would have been saved for hospital staff if millions of people hadn't been told that the science on masks is unproven, causing them to ignore the One Basic Precaution and flood the ERs

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Thanks for the feedback on my idea, I have tweaks like getting the cable and internet turned on remotely and giving free HBO and cable etc to everyone, but I am to the left of Bernie at this point.

How many idiots will be in the ER wasting resources because they blew their hand off with M80's this weekend?

Also, keep a mask in your car, even if you are just going for a drive or to the park. If a cop pulls you put it on, they won't be wearing one 80% of the time.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

bird with big dick posted:

Yes they think cloth doesn’t block the virus but somehow blocks oxygen molecules that are 100x smaller.

790x by diameter,

623,269x by cross-sectional area

I hope we're all aware by now how little the average person understands what an order of magnitude is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the virus also doesn't float freely on tiny wings, it attaches to much larger droplets

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
mods change my name to tiny wings of a virus

let's check in on how things went during a national holiday

quote:

“Got to die of something,” said Bruce Benge, a corrections officer who lives in nearby Pinetop and who left his mask on the front seat of his Ford pickup truck, which he had festooned with a Trump 2020 flag.

oh, i see.

quote:

In Galveston, a small group of protesters assembled, mostly without masks, to protest the beach closure, carrying signs that read “Stop Government Overreach,” and “Beach Lives Matter.” A handful ventured into the water. One man carried an American flag with him into the surf.

:chanpop:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

mods change my name to tiny wings of a virus

let's check in on how things went during a national holiday

oh, i see.

:chanpop:

Sounds... promising? Seems to be implying the vast majority of people stayed in while, aside from the BLM/Police protestors, only small groups ignored it and went out anyways.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can’t wait for this weekends numbers. How long does it take for symptoms to show? How long until a test returns positive.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Can’t wait for this weekends numbers. How long does it take for symptoms to show? How long until a test returns positive.

Tests are running 11 days late in the worst outbreak areas! We've finally figured out how to flatten the curve.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Warbadger posted:

Sounds... promising? Seems to be implying the vast majority of people stayed in while, aside from the BLM/Police protestors, only small groups ignored it and went out anyways.

more of the same really, some people took it seriously some didn't..i just liked that the NY Times threw in that trump 2020 detail

also i'm pretty sure you're allowed to get punched in the face legally for saying beach lives matter

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

more of the same really, some people took it seriously some didn't..i just liked that the NY Times threw in that trump 2020 detail

also i'm pretty sure you're allowed to get punched in the face legally for saying beach lives matter

gently caress you, sea turtles need human friends

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
look into the face of a possibly 200 year old turtle

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

smoobles posted:

Tests are running 11 days late in the worst outbreak areas! We've finally figured out how to flatten the curve.

It's great! They come back so slow that by the time you know you have it, you've quarantined enough that you can safely go out because you recovered a week ago.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
"got to die of something" is a valid credo but gently caress that guy for being a CO

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Colonel Cancer posted:

"got to die of something" is a valid credo but gently caress that guy for being a CO

die of something cool, not lung goo though

like yeah your message is ok but the execution is lacking

e: also picture that dude as this

"got to die of somethin' man"

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 5, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

please keep US politics in the appropriate thread

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
All I know is that I read something that the numbers on Thursday reflect the past weekend. Probably fake news, but no one gives a gently caress, lets invest in a fallout shelter for just us goons there is no end in sight unless we get the miracle vaccine.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

KiteAuraan posted:

With current data, including the current cases out of Thailand, it is looking like it sucks, it will probably wreck all the usual at risk populations, it may spread widely due to it having a level of infectiousness a bit above Influenza A and B (only in asymptomatic shedding from what I can gather) and should be taken seriously. It also will not be 1918 (if these trends hold) and like, medical tech then was not medical tech now folks, that was 102 years ago and a lot of the big advances in care are after that. Basically, governments need to take this seriously and precautions are needed but like, I would be more worried about dying in a car crash or something.

But we need better data than China's poo poo.

sometimes i read posts from jan/feb ITT (this one was 1/26)

i hope you're still alive person who wrote this!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

if i drink his blood will it cure covid

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

They started southern US but have been expanding northward (partly due to global warming). They still have a tough time in cold areas because they get frostbite on their poor little baby ears and toes and the tips of their tails

I made two Opposum dens up here in WI and I put them out every fall. We have about 3-4 who frequently hang out in my back yard at times.

The best thing ever is waking up after a fresh snow fall and seeing itty bitty hand prints and a long tail trench leading right into one of the dens I made.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smoobles posted:

please keep US politics in the appropriate thread

Coulda swore he was wearing a mask now

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I made two Opposum dens up here in WI and I put them out every fall. We have about 3-4 who frequently hang out in my back yard at times.

The best thing ever is waking up after a fresh snow fall and seeing itty bitty hand prints and a long tail trench leading right into one of the dens I made.

Tell me more about the possum dens you have made please

That is cool as hell

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Holy balls Florida reported over 11,000 new cases on July 4th :stare:

All of Italy on its worst day didn't crack 7000. This is like New York's worst peak except they're doing nothing and it's still going to climb.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Fallom posted:

yes but then you become him

sorry i don't make the rules

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Philthy posted:

I can't tell whether this feeling is my heart growing three sizes or whether it's just blood clots

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
dee eight, you're late on the line

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

zer0spunk posted:

dee eight, you're late on the line

sorry, i'm dead

you guys go ahead without me

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

All of Italy on its worst day didn't crack 7000. This is like New York's worst peak except they're doing nothing and it's still going to climb.

But that 7/4 number is from infections a week or more ago(?). The actual freedom day number is going to come in about a week(?). Like 20k-30k let’s shoot the moon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fallom posted:

No but you’ll get a raging boner.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Some people have been asking about the ozone generator poster.

MightySwine posted:

I have industrial ozone generator. Everything from outside gets disinfected for few hours. So at least outside is clean.

As for where it was filled - this is China, even if it says it, you can never trust it 100%. I reboil this water before drinking just in case.

This was their last post:

MightySwine posted:

The R0 for current virus is somewhere around 2.6. 2003 SARS was 2.9, however dropped to 0.4 after measures were taken.

So I guess it was just better contained and never reached critical mass.

:ohdear:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dee eight posted:

sorry, i'm dead

you guys go ahead without me

thank you for your service. we'll make sure your tombstone reads "a cosmic cat"

so disney is out of their god drat minds

they are reopening the parks in 6 days.

florida hit 10k cases yesterday.

not only that, they are having a dispute with park performers. they refused to put daily testing in place so the actor's equity (union) put a stop work order on park performers..

latest news there:

quote:

Just days after Actors’ Equity Association urged members not to take jobs with Florida’s Walt Disney World until the resort agrees to provide COVID-19 testing, the amusement park reports that “tens of thousands of cast members” are preparing to return for the phased opening that begins July 11.

quote:

The blog post – apparently the resort’s first public statement since Equity rejected its reopening safety plan for workers, also includes a video of cast members pouring into the park, wearing protective face masks, having their temperatures taken and expressing gratitude to be back at work. See the video below.

Neither the blog nor the video makes clear whether the returning cast members are non-union or affiliated with a union other than the New York-based Equity.

In addition to playing Disney characters, Cast Members (a Disney resorts term) includes employees who attend to rides and attractions, some security positions and retail jobs, among others.

In a tweet today responding to the video, Equity wrote, “If you are focusing on safety, we hope you will test performers, since there were 10,000 new cases of COVID-19 yesterday alone.” The tweet included the hashtag “$DIS.”

insanity. you shouldn't open the theme park in the first place, but to deny testing people who have to go unmasked for their jobs and interact often is some evil poo poo. you guys have disney money!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Honestly, I don't even... I am a reasonably informed and intelligent human being, I think. I consider myself empathetic and conscientious as a human being - I oppose wars, support social programs, have been wearing a mask in public since March, live in California, have always voted democrat, am homosexual - and yet get accused of considering myself a "snowflake" despite being like the walking embodiment of SOME type of stereotype.

Anyway, I don't even think I know what all the numbers mean anymore. I read about that number of new cases in Florida, and I just.... I don't know if that's low, or high, or a correct number because it's way too low or too high (probably not the latter :geno:). I used to religiously check the map that Johns Hopkins had set up at least every other day, even though it pained me. I remember back then I was watching LA county (where I currently reside) slowly climb up from 10k to 30k, and it took some time. I got so anxious and OCD about that I took the advice of a friend (who is clearly smarter than I) and deleted it from my bookmarks. I don't think I can even fathom a rate like 11k in a in a single day from a single state. But Florida has been defying expectation for years.

The truly scary thing is that number just reflects all the people who managed to get tested! I mean jesus loving CHRIST the real number of infections yesterday was probably three times that at a minimum! This is really why I stopped reading about it and following it, because I know this will wind up being a slaughter, and all I can do is take care of myself and those closest to me. It blows my mind that the right-wing has turned this pandemic into a political wedge issue, I cannot quite... believe it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warbadger posted:

I'd also point out that the WHO is still stressing surface contact transmission while studies based on contact tracing and lab setting tests on the matter have consistently shown it to be far, far less of a factor than airborne/droplet. Dunno, might be more pandering to maintain cooperation with China given their choice to blame contact with European fish imports for their latest outbreak.

Citation needed. I have yet to see any research demonstrating this but it would be a valuable conclusion. I've seen individuals speculate about this but no actual research proving it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's also weird being in a state and county where the numbers are good, and seeing the numbers getting crazy in other states, but still seeing people around here being lackadaisical about mask-wearing and such.

Yeah, it's pretty safe here, but that's because we did a fairly comprehensive lockdown and need to take steps to keep those numbers down. People going to bars and not wearing masks are just begging to have our numbers shoot up and have poo poo shut down again. It's infuriating.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

kaworu posted:

Anyway, I don't even think I know what all the numbers mean anymore.
Florida is doing 10x as bad as the average US state. Only Arizona is a little worse. But Arizona has 1/3 the population of florida so it doesn't look as bad.

The numbers are loving horrific.

I don't even care about all the people who will die.

I am angry about the healthcare workers they will murder with their arrogance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's also weird being in a state and county where the numbers are good, and seeing the numbers getting crazy in other states, but still seeing people around here being lackadaisical about mask-wearing and such.

Yeah, it's pretty safe here, but that's because we did a fairly comprehensive lockdown and need to take steps to keep those numbers down. People going to bars and not wearing masks are just begging to have our numbers shoot up and have poo poo shut down again. It's infuriating.

The scary thing is that all the states getting overrun right now saw someone else get hammered in New York.

And the governments still actively refused to protect their people, literally undermining their protections in Texas' case.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
i wonder what it will be like to see The Villages FL as a ghosttown

at least it will finally contain the rampant STDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Now is the time to invest in refrigerated trailers. Next stop, the moon!

Did anyone say FridgeCoin yet?