Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

This whole thing falls apart even when you look at nations with internally open borders. US workers are harmed far more by industries relocating to the southeast and people still live in places like Mississippi and South Carolina, including some really gifted people who could easily make it in California or NY

on the other hand what happens to southern and midwestern towns in which those very gifted people who could otherwise contribute to the local economies get brain-drained to the coasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

so what's the solution, putting up border controls to stop smart or ambitious people from moving around?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i'm not saying that's even a bad idea to have centralized control of where to put talented people, but "ah sorry b*tch you were born in missouri, and you gotta stay there" would be a great way to build massive amounts of resentment and bad politics

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

THS posted:

i'm not saying that's even a bad idea to have centralized control of where to put talented people, but "ah sorry b*tch you were born in missouri, and you gotta stay there" would be a great way to build massive amounts of resentment and bad politics

this is why the berlin wall got put up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

THS posted:

this happens all the time even on c span. "gently caress i cant stand living in america, im miserable so moving out to aus/nz/finland/canada" followed by "loving coward, stay and go down with the ship and fight to make things better here!"

but i agree telling people they have to stay put and stay in their place is kinda a lovely thing to do

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i don't even know what that poo poo means anymore. stay here for what? get an AR-15? what does this place offer anyone. i'm drunk and just really loving negative feeling about any prospects of reforming the empire. what a bullshit spectacle, it's not even fun as an adult

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the last off-ramp of sanders reforming this hell hole into something liveable i think was kind of true. the nation was tested by a social democrat who offered the absolute lowest level of meaningful reform, it failed, now we're in a recession and pandemic ruled over by literally the worst person to be in charge of such a thing. what a joke. it's Twisted

THS
Sep 15, 2017

remember those two months where bernie sanders was winning lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

[footage not found]

that's fair

Varinn posted:

every single one of those fits always boil down to "leftists have standards"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

when i say that poor people are just incapable of seeing every kind of color, my conservative friends in the Intellectual UnderNet all nod and say how smart that is

but my leftist 'friends' call me a "doodoo rear end" and say that I dress like jim carrey's the mask. this is why leftism will never succeed

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Shipon posted:

on the other hand what happens to southern and midwestern towns in which those very gifted people who could otherwise contribute to the local economies get brain-drained to the coasts

How are "very gifted people" going to "contribute to the local economy" in meth/fentanyl infested counties?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MizPiz posted:

How are "very gifted people" going to "contribute to the local economy" in meth/fentanyl infested counties?

Someone has to cook the meth

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the collapse of the united states of america will be good for the world and to hasten it is admirable

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i say swears online posted:

the collapse of the united states of america will be good for the world and to hasten it is admirable

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drink some water my dude

THS
Sep 15, 2017

drink some water my dude

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot of people are struggling to realise that to the majority of people under 40 'patriotism' is literally meaningless because they effectively are already outsiders as far as every institution of their country is concerned, and the only form of nationalism that has any actual appeal is blood and soil fascism that at least acknowledges they have problems and finds scapegoats society has already primed them for

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

THS posted:

"ah sorry b*tch you were born in missouri, and you gotta stay there" would be a great way to build massive amounts of resentment and bad politics

good news! speaking from experience, this already happened and it sucks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the wealthy base their companies out of major metropolitan hubs, talented people move to them in order to work and then the profit they generate gets funneled back via dark money PACs and campaign donations and all sorts of other poo poo in order to exert political control in states where thanks to the electoral college, some bumfuck in Ohio’s vote counts four times as much as that worker who moved to New York to make pretty pictures on the computer. it’s a pretty sick system all things considered

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

lowtax mentioned in the latest patreon E1 ep.

saying he has the rapsheet of a cop and also runs cop forums :laugh:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

THS posted:

would it be more resentment than "wow I'm sorry you're too poor to move to the place where all the people whose education you financed through taxes moved but that's life"

edit: I'm talking about (south)eastern europe and similar countries, not america

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Jul 5, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i don't really know where to put this but i found this great youtube channel on African history from an African perspective and i really want to promote it. Lots of great detailed summaries of important people and events on the continent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YS_cLaHdwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NkZn5P8UA

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone has to cook the meth

lol

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Doctor Jeep posted:

would it be more resentment than "wow I'm sorry you're too poor to move to the place where all the people whose education you financed through taxes moved but that's life"

edit: I'm talking about (south)eastern europe and similar countries, not america

Yes, especially since most people recognize that you can't solve economic issues by just forcing the smart and talented people to stay in the backwoods. A far more realistic solution is to encourage those smart and talented members of their community to venture out and find a means to support the community abroad. Yes, it barely helps said community even when it goes how they envisioned it, but they gain nothing by keeping them there since many communities are so far removed from the means of production they effectively have a pre-capitalist economy.

Edit: You should be able to tell immediately that these arguments are bad faith meant to mask racism by the fact that these supposed leftists are arguing in favor of regressing to a feudal-like economy.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jul 5, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

THS posted:

this is a whole thing with doctors - as soon as you even come up on your final year of med school you get inundated with ads from places like birmingham and tulsa offering you like 2-3 times your coastal city salary to move there and put down roots because there's such a physician shortage in these places

turns out it's tough to attract highly educated/trained people to places trying to do things like outlaw abortion and the teaching of evolution and that are run by governments busy dismantling themselves

like how do you even fix that? loan forgiveness already doesn't work, the "free market" clearly isn't sufficient, and some kinda mandate forcing them into these areas would just see MDs jumping ship to literally any other country, everywhere else is happy to take doctors after all

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is a whole thing with doctors - as soon as you even come up on your final year of med school you get inundated with ads from places like birmingham and tulsa offering you like 2-3 times your coastal city salary to move there and put down roots because there's such a physician shortage in these places

turns out it's tough to attract highly educated/trained people to places trying to do things like outlaw abortion and the teaching of evolution and that are run by governments busy dismantling themselves

like how do you even fix that? loan forgiveness already doesn't work, the "free market" clearly isn't sufficient, and some kinda mandate forcing them into these areas would just see MDs jumping ship to literally any other country, everywhere else is happy to take doctors after all

you could put them on a circuit like the military, doing tours of duty, but being a doctor seems like a loving poo poo job anyways* so i doubt making them move every three years is gonna encourage a lot of people to want to settle down in those places once they have the option; if you’re ambitious enough to make it through college/med/residency, i doubt you’d be okay living even in the more urbanized parts of the deep south or midwest

*for general practitioners and the people actually doing work, not, like, board members or whatever loving ghoulish hierarchy most private hospitals have in place

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://monthlyreview.org/2018/06/01/the-birth-of-the-cuban-polyclinic/

Good info in here on how Cuba transformed its health system and revolutionized its physician corps.

Would not all translate to an OECD context obv

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the military is already a route some doctors go through - they pay for your med school and you get a guaranteed residency spot (at some base in like alaska or something) which are p big incentives

ofc as soon as they're done they hightail it to a coast, same as anyone else. though i'm sure it happens that some of them stick around the areas they did their residencies in, i haven't really heard of it happening. it's not really that unusual for all doctors to bounce around some anyway, typically for post-residency fellowship programs, since staying as a vanilla MD in family/internal medicine isn't where the money is

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol that perfume nationalist guy is having an extremely normal one this fourth
https://twitter.com/DonnaMillsFan1/status/1279553473311318017?s=20
https://twitter.com/DonnaMillsFan1/status/1279556388759494663?s=20

this honestly reminds me of the BAPPIN crew. Get in one fight so you decide to write of the whole Left as fascist, while openly endorsing imperialism/racism.

ah, another third positionist cosplaying as a lefty. you love to see it. this is the podcast that Liz from trueanon went on. I wonder who else has guested on this fine show, let's take a look...

lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, wanna hear a joke?

Boyd Rice.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oooookay this is all real dumb, what the gently caress liz

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, wanna hear a joke?

Boyd Rice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbGaY533Ow

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

oooookay this is all real dumb, what the gently caress liz

Yeah, why did she post all that?

Serf
May 5, 2011

who is boyd rice

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

this is the creed of Ohio

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

commie kong posted:

lowtax mentioned in the latest patreon E1 ep.

saying he has the rapsheet of a cop and also runs cop forums :laugh:

woah, this is a new Two Weeks Paid Leave?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Victory Position posted:

woah, this is a new Two Weeks Paid Leave?

They unlocked the premium but it’s not new new content.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Serf posted:

who is boyd rice

Counter-culture figure from way back when. Satanism, noise/ambient music, sex stuff and "ironic" Nazi.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Victory Position posted:

this is the creed of Ohio

i'd die in a hail of gunfire before being dragged back to that cornfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Serf posted:

who is boyd rice

if you don't know who he is, you don't need to know, he's irrelevant. if you do know, you know he's a shithead... that is, if you yourself are not a shithead.

i have to post this cartoon every time his name comes up.