Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epi Lepi posted:

The version available on Xbox One is Skyrim: Special Edition, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Edit: You probably mean Script Extender, not Special Edition, whoops I'm dumb.

SKSE is a scripting thing that lets mods do a lot more in Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Epi Lepi posted:

Are there any recommended mod lists for the Xbox one version of Skyrim se? I have not hosed around at all with this version so I have no clue what kind of mods are available and what’s good.

It looks like all of Enaison's mods have been ported, I'd grab those, live another life, unofficial patch, quality world map, diverse dragons, run for your life, better vampires if you want to be a vampire

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Thank you Chomp8645 for the updated guide.

I am spending some of my vacation seeing what I have missed with PC RPGs since practically forever. I have zero game literacy for them, which is my mealy-mouthed way of saying I am completely stupid. I think I am about to visit the graybeards through the back door based on what I read ("gees, this trip is very long and strange. Maybe I should look this up ohhhh"). I also didn't bring Lydia with me.

I can totally imagine this being a weekend thing. I am wondering if installing quality-of-life improvents on my first play would ultimately save me some time from not loving up as much getting to a normal ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thank you Chomp8645 for the updated guide.

I am spending some of my vacation seeing what I have missed with PC RPGs since practically forever. I have zero game literacy for them, which is my mealy-mouthed way of saying I am completely stupid. I think I am about to visit the graybeards through the back door based on what I read ("gees, this trip is very long and strange. Maybe I should look this up ohhhh"). I also didn't bring Lydia with me.

I can totally imagine this being a weekend thing. I am wondering if installing quality-of-life improvents on my first play would ultimately save me some time from not loving up as much getting to a normal ending.

I would just do the unofficial patch, which will keep a bunch of quests from accidently breaking. If you decide to keep playing after your vacation or if there's some specific things that bug you about the gameplay that bug you then worry about deeper modding.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So I run LOOT before or after Wrye Bash?

Also LOOT doesn't seem to be sorting my load orders...

I'll run LOOT as an executable from MO2, but even if there's a red conflict between mods, it won't reorder the mods when I update master list and sort plugins.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

If I want to add Enai mods to Chomps guide? Where would they go in the order?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Right before Skyrim.esm Wherever LOOT SAYS.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

If I want to add Enai mods to Chomps guide? Where would they go in the order?
The various Enai mods don't interfere with each other. Nor do they edit existing graphical features as far as I know, so probably anywhere you'd like.
As a general rule of thumb, I'd organize the loadorder into categories. For example
>Fixes
>UI
>Big overhauls
>Specific gameplay changes & additions
>Graphical stuff
>Compatibility patches

Agents are GO! posted:

Right before Skyrim.esm Wherever LOOT SAYS.
Don't teach the newbies bad habits!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Don't teach the newbies bad habits!

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to write: you'll need to spend a few hours getting familiar with each mod in your load order and these four modding tools. In this 3 hour youtube video, I will :jerkbag:

LOOT is fine, not everyone wants to spend hours with this poo poo and in LOOT will give a load order that's functional even if it's not optimal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to write: you'll need to spend a few hours getting familiar with each mod in your load order and these four modding tools. In this 3 hour youtube video, I will :jerkbag:

LOOT is fine, not everyone wants to spend hours with this poo poo and in LOOT will give a load order that's functional even if it's not optimal.

I think the reason he wrote that is because my guide specifically says not to use LOOT or other auto-sorting methods. This is in large part because the guide mine is a modification of strongly stressed the same thing, and because the guide is already sorted for compatibility. The order you are downloading and installing them is the order they should load in, with only very few exceptions that should be manually moved.

I'm assuming that by Enai mods you mean the works of the modder EnaiSiaion? If that's the case then I agree they can probably just lump at the end with the other gameplay-affecting mods without any particular order, just follow any specific instructions they might have. However, I can see right away that some of them would conflict with or override my list. Obviously you aren't going to have SPERG and Ordinator, nor would you have Wildcat and Mortal Enemies/Smilodon. Just sanity check for conflicts and it should be good I'd think.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
anyone know the point of doing this?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
It was a necessary step to catch certain ITMs when cleaning masters using the old method. Now that quickautoclean exists, you don't actually need to do that unless you want more granularity when looking at those types of records in xEdit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've tried out Ultimate Combat and Combat Gameplay Overhaul and neither of them really feel like they fix the combat in aby meaningful way. Changing the number calculations behind the scenes doesn't change the fact that the animations lack any sense of impact or ooomph, third person camera is in no way set up for Combat and first person devolves into stunlocking enemies with power attacks. I've been watching those "turn Skyrim into Witcher/Dark Souls/Sekiro videos that all have these elaborate mod collections to imitate the feel of those games, but nothing has yet made Skyrim combat feel fun to play.

I've also hit the point where all the items I'm carrying are worth more than vendors ever carry, so it's become a game of fast travel to offload all my stuff to a dozen different merchants I've invested in.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I'd love to see a mod that lets you actually barter and trade, basically just putting a system like in Rimworld into Skyrim. That way if a merchant has some expensive thing you want but not enough money to buy your stuff you don't have to bounce between a dozen different shops trying to get septims to buy it outright, you can just trade items of equal value for it. I doubt it's possible without some really intrusive and clunky scripting, though since I've never seen anyone even try to do it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been watching those "turn Skyrim into Witcher/Dark Souls/Sekiro videos that all have these elaborate mod collections to imitate the feel of those games, but nothing has yet made Skyrim combat feel fun to play.

Spellsiphon makes combat a bit different, if you just want a change. It's still easy (which is a prerequisite to being fun as far as I am concerned, but YM evidently does V).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've tried out Ultimate Combat and Combat Gameplay Overhaul and neither of them really feel like they fix the combat in aby meaningful way. Changing the number calculations behind the scenes doesn't change the fact that the animations lack any sense of impact or ooomph, third person camera is in no way set up for Combat and first person devolves into stunlocking enemies with power attacks. I've been watching those "turn Skyrim into Witcher/Dark Souls/Sekiro videos that all have these elaborate mod collections to imitate the feel of those games, but nothing has yet made Skyrim combat feel fun to play.

I've also hit the point where all the items I'm carrying are worth more than vendors ever carry, so it's become a game of fast travel to offload all my stuff to a dozen different merchants I've invested in.
You can only really do so much when the fundamentals of the combat suck. All these mods help to some extent, but nothing is going to make the melee combat "visceral" or whatever nebulous term you want to use. It's a ten year old game that had lovely combat at the time

I remember being so excited when they bought Arkane because I thought the game would have Dark Messiah combat lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Raygereio posted:

The various Enai mods don't interfere with each other. Nor do they edit existing graphical features as far as I know, so probably anywhere you'd like.

Enai's religion mod, wintersun I think, and the shout mod, thunderchild, add a considerable amount of shrines and places of interest throughout the tamriel world space. They're usually just small things out in the boonies, but I've used the occasion mod that needed compatibility patches for them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Enai's religion mod, wintersun I think, and the shout mod, thunderchild, add a considerable amount of shrines and places of interest throughout the tamriel world space. They're usually just small things out in the boonies, but I've used the occasion mod that needed compatibility patches for them.

THe best part of Wintersun is being a follower of Talos, and going way up by Serena's castle to slaughter all those Thalmor

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was holding off on even trying any of this until I noticed anything I felt like needed to be fixed or improved. I've been noticing a lot of screwups with dialog selection. I'll pick one thing and get another when talking with NPCs. I've been trying to make it a point to not use my mouse and to have it well clear of anything on the screen when interacting with NPCs now. I think I could also use a confirmation prompt when selling stuff so I don't accidentally sell the armor I'm wearing. Is this something that got addressed with mods?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was holding off on even trying any of this until I noticed anything I felt like needed to be fixed or improved. I've been noticing a lot of screwups with dialog selection. I'll pick one thing and get another when talking with NPCs. I've been trying to make it a point to not use my mouse and to have it well clear of anything on the screen when interacting with NPCs now. I think I could also use a confirmation prompt when selling stuff so I don't accidentally sell the armor I'm wearing. Is this something that got addressed with mods?

Better Dialog Controls (and while we're at it, Better Message Box Controls) should help head off some of those "the game thinks I picked the option three pixels above the one I WANTED to pick" gently caress ups.

Don't think there's any mod that adds a prompt check when selling stuff. There's one that removes the prompt from crafting, enchanting, ect., but that's not what you're looking for though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't think there's any mod that adds a prompt check when selling stuff. There's one that removes the prompt from crafting, enchanting, ect., but that's not what you're looking for though.
...more like it wasn't the thing I thought I needed but once you said it...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...more like it wasn't the thing I thought I needed but once you said it...

In that case, Yes, I'm Sure.

e: hell most of Fudgyduff's mods should be must-installs for quality of life improvements in Skyrim SE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCY4rl-WO8

Modding adjacent but Novajam, notable for many funny videos on Skyrim Mods, shows up out of nowhere to point out that Australian TV is using the Skyrim theme.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Well, I've finally conquered the curse of Skyrim modding I think. I got tired of coming back so often to reinstall Skyrim and set up a modlist only to play for a couple hours, so I figured out a stable list and did a "complete" run through of the game. Which will hopefully be my last. So here's an effort post as farewell. Note: All the mods I list here are good and well made mods, I just don't agree that they all deserve a spot on your modlist.

Overall modding impressions:
Less is more. Many mods are a novelty, things that are fun to play with for a bit but ultimately aren't fun and don't serve a purpose in a longer playthrough. A huge modlist usually include a lot of mods that "fix" things, but fixing things doesn't always actually improve your experience or make the game anymore fun so what exactly is the point? I don't have much experience with visual mods, because personally I stop noticing the looks of the game after an hour or two so they made their way out of my modlists. Navigating the Skyrim menus, especially mod-added menus, is annoying and any mod that adds more of that I prefer not to use.

Perks:
Ordinator: A perk overhaul that focuses on quantity. Really great for gimmick runs, because chances are it has perks specifically to support those. Outside of that, I find that it's too full of number perks and that the actually interesting perks are far outnumbered by the mediocre and outright annoying ones. Not a fan.
Vokrii: A more vanilla style of perk overhaul. It's not bad, but it's not terribly interesting.
SPERG: Goon favorite perk overhaul. Doesn't have a lot of very interesting perks, but every single perk is useful and noticeable. Still the gold standard.

UI:
Dear Diary: My favorite UI mod, it's quicky, snappy, and simple while also including/being compatible with most useful UI mods. Replaces the UI with a paper version.
iEquip: While the premise of an onscreen widget to switch between weapons/spells/shouts/potions is very cool and it's extremely well made, personally the script lag made the usage speed far too slow which rendered it pointless.
MoreHUD SE: Just adds a lot of useful information to the HUD, a must have.
Quick Loot RE: Adds a Fallout 4 quick loot menu. These days it's incredibly stable and causes minimal issues while being a huge QOL improvement. You need this update.

EnaiSiaion mods: While pretty much every one of his mods is very popular and acclaimed, personally I can't stand them. Too much focus on alternate menus, active powers, and numbers. Stuff that seems interesting when you read the mod description, but is annoying/doesn't actually change the game much or make it more fun.
Growl: A werewolf overhaul. Again, mostly focuses on numbers. To me it was boring and ultimately wasn't enough to fix werewolves to be interesting. If you really want to play as a werewolf, this has a lot of QOL that makes it more bearable.
Sacrosanct: A vampire overhaul. This one is good and did make being a vampire more fun.

Combat: Personally I don't think there's much that can be done to "fix" or make Skyrim combat fun. Rather than adjusting numbers, I find that what actually makes it more fun that anything is increasing player mobility.
Better Jumping SE: Personally I liked setting the number of jumps possible to an absurd number, not to abuse but because it's fun to be more mobile in the air.
No Player Fall Damage: Has anyone ever found fall damage to be actually fun?
Combat Gameplay Overhaul SE: A combat animation replacer/addition. I mainly used it for being able to strike in mid-air, which was very fun when combined with Better Jumping. Has other interesting features like grip changing, casting spells with 2H weapons. Minimize leaning and disable the dodge roll.
Deadly Dragons: Makes dragons have some unique abilities and increases their stats. Personally I'm not a huge fan, but there isn't much good competition.

Locations, Quests, and NPCs: I find mod writing to be unbearable in general so I haven't tried a lot of the more popular ones. I dislike mods that add NPCs and "improve" locations, because generally they just make for a harder time finding the NPCs you need, have a harder time finding where you need to go, and add a lot of spaces that don't really add anything to make the game more fun.
Legacy of the Dragonborn SSE: I love having a museum to fill up with Skyrim artifacts. The quests are surprisingly bearable for mod content, but still ultimately annoying when you just want to use the museum but quests repeatedly make it unusable until you finish them. If there was a version without any of the mod added items or quests I would take it over this in a heartbeat, I want to fill a museum with Skyrim artifacts and not hundreds of random mod added junk.
Interesting NPCs: Very popular mod that adds new NPCs. Personally I don't like the writing and the last thing I want to do in Skyrim is go around talking to more and more people, Skyrim has enough dialogue as is.
The Notice Board SE: A well made mod that provides a great way of getting new radiant quests. Unfortunately who likes radiant quests with no story or point?

Loot: I find that the best way to make loot fun is to never ever touch crafting and impose challenges on yourself like only carrying 1 weapon/armor set at a time or not using stores etc. I have yet to find any weapon add-on mods I actually like, the base game honestly has plenty.
Morrowloot Ultimate: An overhaul to make loot rarer. Ultimately I didn't really notice much of a difference, some of the new rules were just annoying, and it didn't make the game more fun. For the numbers of records and compatibility issues it causes, it's just not worth it for me personally.
Immersive Armors: Adds a lot of armor. Most of them are good, you can disable any that you don't like. Not intrusive.

Crafting: None of these are worth it. Compatibility nightmares and there is no magic combination of mods that will actually make Skyrim crafting fun or interesting. Just avoid the systems entirely.
GIST: Great mod to handle everything you need with soul gems. But enchanting isn't fun so.
CCO Remastered: Fixes a lot of the numbers involved in crafting. But doesn't make it fun, which means a hard pass considering how much of the game it touches and how many compatibility patches it needs.
CCOR Overhaul: Fixes a lot of numbers involved in alchemy/cooking. Same as above, still doesn't make it fun and a compatibility nightmare.

Magic:
Apocalpyse Magic: Adds a lot of spells. Again, critically acclaimed, but personally there are just too many spells that aren't useful or interesting. And the ones that are interesting are QOL and overpowered.
Forgotten Magic Redone SE: A spell mod that focuses on quality. Only 39 new spells, but you can upgrade each spell to have different effects by using them a lot.

General:
Lock Overhaul: Let's you set up lockpicking the way you want and grants the ability to smash locks if you don't. Personally, stealing is fun but becomes pointless after you do it for any amount of time due to how much it breaks the economy. There's rarely(never?) anything actually interesting behind locked doors/chests.
Cutting Room Floor: A mod that adds some random cut content that is in almost every mod list. Has a huge impact on compatibility despite it's small and almost unnoticeable changes. Skip it and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Immersion: A lot of people love these. Personally they all use too many alternate menu systems, and all needs mods focus on penalties rather than bonuses which makes them annoying/punishing rather than fun. They all have pretty much the same annoyances so just a general disrecommend on these. If you care about your characters eating/sleeping habits then...just eat and sleep at appropriate times. You don't need a mod to cripple you in combat or outright kill you to do so. If there's one that focuses on bonuses and not being intrusive that might be worth picking up.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zeron posted:

A lot of words about how you shouldn't bother with various mods

There's no accounting for taste and to each their own, but it seems a curious thing to put so much effort into a post about how except for SPERG and Forgotten Magic, you don't like any of the mods you describe or modding in general.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most of those mods are cool and good

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, crafting is fun as hell, wtf.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Names some of the most popular mods for the game*

Actually, these all suck :smugdog:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

There's no accounting for taste and to each their own, but it seems a curious thing to put so much effort into a post about how except for SPERG and Forgotten Magic, you don't like any of the mods you describe or modding in general.

I love modding, I just figured it'd be fun to get some of the thoughts I had after spending so much time over the years searching through mods to paper. To me, modding Skyrim and actually playing it with mods require very different mindsets. It's very easy (for me) to get caught up in "fixing" the game when modding, installing and creating a huge modlist to make the game work better and make sense. That's an entirely different (and arguably more fun) game. I just don't think that necessarily translates into what is actually necessary and fun to play when you actually sit down for a playthrough. Wasn't trying to create a guide or anything, just (ineffectually) providing some counterthoughts on mods that are on pretty much every list that to me personally just aren't worth the amount of compatibility work you have to do and potential destabilization it causes the game (if you actually intend to play it). Since there are a lot of people who mod the game to play it and aren't necessarily into the modding process itself, ignoring some of the big impactful mods like Cutting Room Floor, CCCO or whatever can make the process a lot easier and won't really impact enjoyment of the game. But obviously just my opinion, they're all well made mods and you're probably better off ignoring me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I can see Zeron's point of view here even if I don't agree about all those mods. When I was actually involved enough in Skyrim modding as a hobby to make a thread OP about it, the new OP itself came after a year or more of trying to construct a Perfect Modlist in my limited long stretches of downtime when I could devote hours to a technical hobby (for example, I only managed to finish the OP because of a gap between Summer and Fall jobs when my then-girlfriend was out of town). Modding (as we say) became the game because making mods work together is very difficult and time consuming. In my head, I liked the idea of all the immersion and world-fixing mods just silently being there in case I stumbled across something relevant in rambling across Skyrim. I liked the idea of filling everything with variety, even areas I didn't have any serious plans of visiting, just in case. The reality of trying to make it all work meant that I rarely got around to playing outside of testing mods. So someone could decide that it's better to approach this from field testing what mods actually have an impact on the play experience rather than what just sounds good to have. Each mod that sounds good comes with a workload, sometimes a big one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I actually agree with about 80% of what he said, I just never saw the point in writing all those thoughts out on a forum thread that's explicitly for people who actually enjoy painstakingly fine-tuning hundreds of mods and chasing the dopamine rush of being able to play the game for 30 straight minutes without it puking and crashing, and for whom "Modding Is The Game" is most definitely a Ha Ha Only Serious motto.

I mean seriously, who actually likes playing Skyrim :raise:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I do.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i like mods because the original game is kind of dull. it wasn't made for fun, it was made for money. mods are made for fun though. so they're fun!

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mods are fun. Even the dumb joke mods. Sometimes especially the dumb joke mods.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
a year or so ago there was a mod pack going around with accelerated skills/xp, randomish new character starting locations and such, and perma death to make Skyrim a rougelike experience. Anyone know where I can find that list? A bunch of streamers were doing it.

Also, something has messed with my base XP gain and everything is instalevel ups, even with all mods off. Is there a specific ini file or console setting I need to adjust to get it back to normal?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Doing a fresh install on a new laptop, which means time to remod! And it looks like there's a fresh guide, so a preemptive thanks to Chomp for that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Obviously you aren't going to have SPERG and Ordinator, nor would you have Wildcat and Mortal Enemies/Smilodon. Just sanity check for conflicts and it should be good I'd think.

These are the only conflicts with Enai's mods, right? Because I know I want to use Ordinator over SPERG along with their racial and birthstone changes.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Well, I mean, you *can* have both SPERG and Ordinator thanks to Vokriinator+ or whatever it was called but I don't think it's a good idea.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

you can install both iirc. one will overwrite the other visually, but both sets of perk trees will still exist, unless one deletes vanilla perks or replaces them with something (i think ordinator does this with some perks.) you can add the "hidden" perks via console, or load ord last to use those perks and get the auto perks from SPERG

or you could do Vokriinator Plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

you can install both iirc. one will overwrite the other visually, but both sets of perk trees will still exist, unless one deletes vanilla perks or replaces them with something (i think ordinator does this with some perks.) you can add the "hidden" perks via console, or load ord last to use those perks and get the auto perks from SPERG

or you could do Vokriinator Plus

Does Vokriinator Plus have the "running around increases your armor skill" feature SPERG has?