Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sardonik posted:

I'm interested, but how does it cover Austin's segregation and racism?

i havent met a single person involved in upper management at hopdoddy that wasnt a white man (to be fair, several of the gms ive met have been hispanic, but i honestly have not met a single person above gm that wasnt a white man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Jesus that's loving awful. I'm here at work at my tiny liquor store in the RGV fireworks barely started. Every loving day I'm here I feel more and more dread about how poo poo is turning out here. And people STILL act like it isn't a thing. :smith:

To the poster above that said their poo poo is getting slowly worse, dude please go see a doc or something.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1279552380464398336

It ain't good

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
They're going to start triaging soon and the death rate is going to go through the roof.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I can’t remember if it was you or not, but was your wife asymptomatic?

Very minor symptoms. Scratchy throat very mild fever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
RGV was always going to be hosed by this, it was just a matter of when that would happen. The confluence of factors guaranteed it, absent some environmental intervention (e.g. seasonality, vaccine, etc).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Currently living up here in the PNW, but I'm just waiting for Texas to declare a disaster and request medical staff like NY/NJ did. I want to volunteer so I can eat my Whataburger and other basic burgers back in Texas.

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010
mask compliance at my local HEB was doing great until I saw a guy today take off his mask to talk on the phone

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bear Trade posted:

mask compliance at my local HEB was doing great until I saw a guy today take off his mask to talk on the phone
I was watching, and making jokes about that in Southeast Asia 5 months ago, heh. Somehow this didn't turn out to be a problem.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Captain Monkey posted:

Both the cheech and the Chong are beef patties, the most out there ingredient is the sambal mayo.

thats pretty out there

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1279769508664750082

laffo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fptp claims another victim

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/danqdao/status/1279543960206290946

I hate the goddamn nyt

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I hate the goddamn nyt
“Local” is code for anything not within an afternoon’s train ride from NYC

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I haven't been in half a year, but I did like the Republican, just add chorizo to it for maximum meat.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I miss the days when the thread title wasn't ironic. This god drat heat.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I hate the goddamn nyt

you know any reporter from the nyt is only going to Austin if they’re coming to Texas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

“Local” is code for anything not within an afternoon’s train ride from NYC

new yorker map dot jpeg

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

citybeatnik posted:

I miss the days when the thread title wasn't ironic. This god drat heat.

yeah its p hot out

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My fkn grass

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish we could switch places with Montana

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If my fiancee had bet me if we'd hear the n word in public usage in east texas while we went camping I would have bet the house. Sure enough we heard it while sitting in a diet coke looking lake at Boykin Springs Rec Area. Good lord it was hot this weekend. July camping can gently caress off

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

George H.W. oval office posted:

If my fiancee had bet me if we'd hear the n word in public usage in east texas while we went camping I would have bet the house. Sure enough we heard it while sitting in a diet coke looking lake at Boykin Springs Rec Area. Good lord it was hot this weekend. July camping can gently caress off

Why the hell would you do that to yourselves?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I hate the nyt too but the chronicle isn't a national paper in the way the nyt, wsj, or I guess (maybe) the Washington Post are. Like, I'd hesitate to call even the LA Times a paper of record

It's weird to me that it's Austin that has the cool reputation outside of Texas, Houston is obviously the best city in the state :colbert:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
hurf durf it's not like the rest of Texas!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I hate the nyt too but the chronicle isn't a national paper in the way the nyt, wsj, or I guess (maybe) the Washington Post are. Like, I'd hesitate to call even the LA Times a paper of record

It's weird to me that it's Austin that has the cool reputation outside of Texas, Houston is obviously the best city in the state :colbert:

It has the 3rd largest circulation in the US

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010

zoux posted:

that’s almost entirely (if not 100% entirely) restricted to people in or from the Houston area

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yes, but in the public consciousness or whatever it's not treated like a national paper which is yes dumb. LA times has more subscribers according to this guy than WaPo but the latter is treated as more important (also dumb)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_States#Top_10_newspapers_by_circulation

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010
when I was living in Austin it was honestly easier to find paper copies of the Dallas morning news than it was the Houston chronicle

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010

shocked that USA Today is number one but then I remembered about hotels existing

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Speaking as an Austinite i agree with you completely.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:thunk:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bear Trade posted:

when I was living in Austin it was honestly easier to find paper copies of the Dallas morning news than it was the Houston chronicle

its funny cause back in the 90s there was a dude selling papers at every major intersection, like you couldnt go a block without seeing copies for sale.

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

its funny cause back in the 90s there was a dude selling papers at every major intersection, like you couldnt go a block without seeing copies for sale.

no I’m sure things were different back in the 90s, but today nobody outside of Houston interacts with the chronicle the way people across the country (and world) interact with the NYT, WSJ, WaPo, etc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Thats Gross posted:

you know any reporter from the nyt is only going to Austin if they’re coming to Texas
i think elizabeth bruenig is from arlington/DFW so she's an exception

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, whole lotta NYT lovers itt, y'all must all be US congresspersons whom voted for the Iraq War....

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1279869038110191617

Also more evidence we were given the worst possible advice regarding this pandemic in the beginning. Remember when it was scary to touch Amazon packages

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1279690138398928899?s=20

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

George H.W. oval office posted:

If my fiancee had bet me if we'd hear the n word in public usage in east texas while we went camping I would have bet the house. Sure enough we heard it while sitting in a diet coke looking lake at Boykin Springs Rec Area.
Just the one time? East Texas really has made progress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the AAS is the best texas newspaper because they paid ben sargent to draw good cartoons from watergate through the obama inauguration

also i remember my dad calling it a liberal rag in like 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

citybeatnik posted:

Speaking as an Austinite i agree with you completely.

After living in both places for a while, I hated driving in Houston a lot more than in Austin, but everything else is better