Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Hey

Why is WarGreymon in Ultraman X?

Let me tell you about Greymon's grandpa, Gomora.

This isn't a joke or anything, Greymon is pretty explicitly based on Gomora. Cyber Gomora throws some shout outs to WarGreymon accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was checking my subs of X and I just happened onto a shot of him.

It was a surreal as heck experience.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I was checking my subs of X and I just happened onto a shot of him.

It was a surreal as heck experience.

As I'm sure you've noticed, X uses WarGreymon gauntlets as one of his power ups

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Even if it's for a podcast, allow me to recommend against watching the Kamen Rider Kiva film:
a) at all
b) twice in one day

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh God, why are we here? I haven't set foot in ADTRW since the Matoi Ryuko debacle.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the thread was already in the anime forum, i guess y'all just come to it through your subscribed threads and forgot until the style changed? the toku thread outside of anime land is the power rangers one in tv/iv

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the thread was already in the anime forum, i guess y'all just come to it through your subscribed threads and forgot until the style changed? the toku thread outside of anime land is the power rangers one in tv/iv
I'm also a regular poster in the Digimon thread, I'm just being dumb. :ssh:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fellow Digimon thread people represent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Woo

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei posted:

Remember when Zero-One was good?

Those were the days.

Ah, yes, the BT (Before Thouser) era. An all too brief time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

As I'm sure you've noticed, X uses WarGreymon gauntlets as one of his power ups

I hadn’t seen that. Neat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei posted:

Those were the days.

An all too brief moment of hope for the treatment of women in the Reiwa era.

Burkion posted:

Hello! It's me, the person who had to ask whether a Kaiju was Drimogemon in the Discord because he looked so much like Drimogemon.

(the answer was yes, that's likely what Drimogemon is based on)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Junpei posted:

Those were the days.

It still is. :shrug:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Got to Ultraman Orb 17 and honestly...I have a big complaint here. I've enjoyed Orb a lot so far, but this is the second time I have a big issue with how it handled something (the first is how VTL feels utterly superfluous in the show. I don't have much Ultraman knowledge, but every series I've watched so far had the military teams be heavily important, here they're a sidenote at best).

The whole thing about Gai learning to control the darkness instead of going insane by using it...is resolved by him getting a new power-up, so he never really gains control over the Belial card in any way that matters. He did, sure, but now he has no reason to use it. Even moreso, his prize for getting control of Thunder Breaster is not only a new form, but a new form that uses the power of every element except darkness, when the entire arc was about controlling the darkness.

It's such an impressive misstep that feels very out of place with how good Orb has been other than this moment. Orb regaining his original power should've been a big, epic moment of character growth, and it's ruined by the series trying to do two things at once with Gai (control Thunder Breaster/the power of darkness/Belial, make peace with himself and regain Orb Origin) that don't mesh well together at all.

It's also disappointing that Juggler got to use his Orb Ring once to become a monster and then it got destroyed, since having Orb fight combined monsters more often would've been really neat. I don't care much for Juggler but Zeppandon was very cool, what a waste.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Ultraman, here’s a teaser for the upcoming second season of the Netflix anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ni4kWpURtfQ

And some more information:

https://nihonhero.weebly.com/home/ultramans-official-twitter-leaks-season-2-information-ahead-of-time-taro-to-appear-voiced-by-tatsuo-suzuki

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 5, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Got to Ultraman Orb 17 and honestly...I have a big complaint here. I've enjoyed Orb a lot so far, but this is the second time I have a big issue with how it handled something (the first is how VTL feels utterly superfluous in the show. I don't have much Ultraman knowledge, but every series I've watched so far had the military teams be heavily important, here they're a sidenote at best).

The whole thing about Gai learning to control the darkness instead of going insane by using it...is resolved by him getting a new power-up, so he never really gains control over the Belial card in any way that matters. He did, sure, but now he has no reason to use it. Even moreso, his prize for getting control of Thunder Breaster is not only a new form, but a new form that uses the power of every element except darkness, when the entire arc was about controlling the darkness.

It's such an impressive misstep that feels very out of place with how good Orb has been other than this moment. Orb regaining his original power should've been a big, epic moment of character growth, and it's ruined by the series trying to do two things at once with Gai (control Thunder Breaster/the power of darkness/Belial, make peace with himself and regain Orb Origin) that don't mesh well together at all.

It's also disappointing that Juggler got to use his Orb Ring once to become a monster and then it got destroyed, since having Orb fight combined monsters more often would've been really neat. I don't care much for Juggler but Zeppandon was very cool, what a waste.

There's a good Shibukawa focused episode coming up that gives you a better idea about what VTL does. And more really great stuff with the Earth Invasion Club that gives you a sense of what the level of alien problems on Earth were before the show began

But yeah I agree that overall Orb's arc, Juggler, and Orb and Juggler's past rivalry and current conflict all feel underbaked.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

:chloe:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I have some issues with it, of course, but that's also true of almost every Rider series. The only Rider series that I've watched and have absolutely zero issues with is Kuuga.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Kuuga could have used less clipshows. Which is funny, I have the opposite sentiment on Zero-One, those recap episodes gave the crew enough of a break to come in fresh and the past couple of episodes have been actually pretty good compared to what was going on before.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Trogglodyte posted:

Kuuga could have used less clipshows. Which is funny, I have the opposite sentiment on Zero-One, those recap episodes gave the crew enough of a break to come in fresh and the past couple of episodes have been actually pretty good compared to what was going on before.

I'm gonna be honest, I forgot that Kuuga even had clipshows, but you're absolutely right.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

No part of Zero-One has been "good", there's just parts that have been more thou-I mean, more terrible than others. At this point I have even less than zero hope for a strong ending. Like, -1,000% hope.

But hey! Saber is a new chance!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

LastGoodBoy posted:

No part of Zero-One has been "good"

As someone who has (thankfully) not watched a single episode, I can tell you that the suit designs and opening theme still own

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

One big thing also is that Orb was probably being used as a testing bed for certain concepts. The idea of using the power of Belial but as a good guy and the power of Fusion Kaiju, that would become The Thing for Ultraman Geed.

I'm not sure if it's a chicken and the egg scenario where they just wanted to play with the concepts before going full on into them, or if they just came up in Orb and they wanted to explore them further. Hard to say. I'm pretty sure Orb having Belial as a power up is what inspired the idea to make the next series about Belial's son.

Orb and Juggler's dynamic is just kind of neat and unique. Origin Saga adds a bit more to it and I'm very curious what Ultraman Z is going to do. But Orb as a whole is ultimately more flawed than I'd like Ultraman to be...it's just probably the least flawed, compared to whats around it. The real go to for modern Ultraman is Mebius, but that's harder to find for some people and it's from the 2000s which some people don't like and so on and so on. It really does reveal what a gigantic shift the Ultra series took after they went quiet in the 2000s and came back for Ginga.

And yes, being stupidly toyetic is part of the problem, it's very wince inducing when the Ultra series especially really doesn't need it. But that's how the game is played now. If you go back even just to Mebius, it's such a different feeling. One thing I'm largely grateful for with Z is that the only distractingly toy related thing is just the transformation item, and that it doesn't get used during the fights themselves.

Every time an Ultra busts out one of the role play toys to do a finisher it always makes me a little sad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Zero One has never been good overall, but it has always had good aspects. Some really great hero suits, Izu, a third example.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fred is on posted:

As someone who has (thankfully) not watched a single episode, I can tell you that the suit designs and opening theme still own

Good point, let me retract my statement and say I have liked some of the belts and some of the suits.

Gripweed posted:

Some really great hero suits, Izu, a third example.

I despise Izu. I thought they couldn't do a more bland character after Tsukiyomi, but then they proved me wrong.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gripweed posted:

Zero One has never been good overall, but it has always had good aspects. Some really great hero suits, Izu, a third example.

Izu is very, very boring and dull and the most lame part of her existence is the core inquisitive nature and information gathering aspects of the main Rider and his supporting cast allies has been merged into one single character who does everything while Aruto stands there like a worthless moron swinging a sword and she has no real personality because she's a robot. She's not a good character and the whole concept behind her is very bad!! I really hope it's never done again.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 5, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I haven't watched the movie yet but I've finished the series and Kamen Rider has taught me that Tokusatsu movies tend to just be a bit of fun so I might as well bust out my final Orb thoughts now.

Ultraman Orb is good. It's main strength is that it's just a real fun watch. The SSP crew is great. They aren't very deep but they're fun and work together well. Shibukawa deserves his own spinoff.
The monster action is the quality i have come to take for granted from the Ultra franchise. I was kinda worried since this is my first Heisei Ultraman that it would lean too far on the CGI, but it actually uses CGI really well. There's this one shot in I think the second to last episode where Gai is running towards the city and you see off in the distance the monster standing in the ruined city and VTL planes flying around, it's so great. There's actually a few moments like that throughout the series, where the show just takes a second to visually impress how the destruction. And that bit near the finale with the Kaiju die off, that is the most apocalyptic thing ever. Fantastic.

And the Earth Invasion Club, I can not say enough good things about the Earth Invasion Club. A bunch of aliens who have been trying and failing to invade Earth so long that now whenever they get up to serious trouble it's only because of Club politics or unresolved personal issues, and really they all know they should pack it in and go home but they can't let go of that beautiful dream. That is fantastic! That is so great! They only get a couple episodes, and I demand an entire season of Ultraman dealing with the Eath Invasion Club

I do have two problems though. Neither are killers, but they're both persistent.

First is the transformation. It's dogshit. It's so long, and Gai spends the whole time just standing still in a dark void. They try to give it any energy at all with quick camera movements and such, but it does not work. And then when he gets the loving Orbcalibur, the tackiest thing in the world, it's so bad. Not only does it make the standing still in a void segments longer, it also completely crosses the line from "a show that wants to sell toys" to "just a straight up toy commercial". I will never complain about another Kamen Rider upgrade again, even the worst ones aren't as bad as the splitscreen Gai and Orb spinning the loving Orbcalibur together.

My big problem was that I was never able to get a good handle on Juggler as a character, and while the actor really fuckin swung for the fences the story never let him be crazy enough for that to be entertaining by itself. He was found unworthy to be Ultraman Orb, so he went nuts and now wants to kill Orb to prove that darkness is more powerful than light. OK. But that's basically it. He shows up, is crazy, Orb destroys his monster, but Juggler gets a card so he's still All According To Keikaku. And then at the halfway mark when he brings out Maga Orochi and Orb defeats it it's like. OK. Your story is over Juggler. Go away. But he keeps hanging around, and there's zero energy or momentum to his story because we saw Maga Orochi get wrecked! Of course it turns out it was All According To Keikaku, but that doesn't change how directionless it was before the Keikau reveal. And then his heel turn at the end was just so ugh. If he has good in him maybe show that? Maybe make him a more complex and interesting character beforehand? That's hardly a crazy ask considering how much more complex some of the monsters of the week are! And then he sacrifices himself so there's not even any fallout or interesting future potential. It's just over. Lame!

I know I've spent longer talking about the things I didn't like, and it's true I didn't like them and they are both persistent problems, but I don't want to give the wrong impression. I really enjoyed watching Ultraman Orb. I've even ordered Ultraman Orb Origin because I want more Orb.

I recommend Ultraman Orb. It's not gonna change your life but it's a good giant monster time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LastGoodBoy posted:

I despise Izu. I thought they couldn't do a more bland character after Tsukiyomi, but then they proved me wrong.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Izu is very, very boring and dull and the most lame part of her existence is the core inquisitive nature and information gathering aspects of the main Rider and his supporting cast allies has been merged into one single character who does everything while Aruto stands there like a worthless moron swinging a sword and she has no real personality because she's a robot. She's not a good character and the whole concept behind her is very bad!! I really hope it's never done again.

Oh Izu isn't a character. She just stands next to Aruto and does cute stuff. She's more of a pet than a character. Which is definitely a big problem for the show that's supposed to be about the relationship between humans and robots, but I still like it when she does stuff like synchronized pointing with Aruto.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Oh Izu isn't a character. She just stands next to Aruto and does cute stuff. She's more of a pet than a character. Which is definitely a big problem for the show that's supposed to be about the relationship between humans and robots, but I still like it when she does stuff like synchronized pointing with Aruto.

So the entire net worth of her character's positives can be reduced to a five second gif.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was watching some toy stuff, and it surprises me that more toku toys haven't had mics that you say things into to activate them. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is the Delta gear from Faiz.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Izu's a case where the character is bad but the actress is good, IMHO. Her performance and stage chemistry with the other actors can make very bad material entertaining when it's just them goofing off each other.

It's like how my opinion on Onari from Ghost is "this material is bad, holy crap this performance is amazing".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

First is the transformation. It's dogshit. It's so long, and Gai spends the whole time just standing still in a dark void. They try to give it any energy at all with quick camera movements and such, but it does not work. And then when he gets the loving Orbcalibur, the tackiest thing in the world, it's so bad. Not only does it make the standing still in a void segments longer, it also completely crosses the line from "a show that wants to sell toys" to "just a straight up toy commercial". I will never complain about another Kamen Rider upgrade again, even the worst ones aren't as bad as the splitscreen Gai and Orb spinning the loving Orbcalibur together.

I'll evade the other one because I'm only on episode 19 but I agree with this, Orb's transformation scene is terrible and it's used without cutting for far too long. It looks pretty bad, it's repetitive, it's too long and the Orb Origin transformation is even worse, not helped by the series coming back to the void for every special attack with the Orb Calibur.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'll tell you what though, kids fukkin' love transformations that have lots of poo poo going on, and the series are made for kids, so...

Also, ever since Ginga, there have been Ultra risers that rely on NFC chips in the toys, so that's just the norm since then. You can also use these chips in a very popular arcade game where you pull up Ultras and kaiju and fight with them. Orb having cards made a lot of sense because at least you could carry a lot of them in a small package unlike Spark Dolls, Capsules, Key Rings, or now, medallions. In these games there are also secret fusions that simply don't show up in the series, and are just in the games.

There have been strange finisher weapons and fusions in the Ultra series' since the Showa era (Return of Ultraman's javelin comes to mind), but now it's even more toyetic. It honestly doesn't bother me too much, as long as it allows more Ultra series to be funded. The shows have been getting better budgets as time goes along for sure. This is kind of why when I started watching KR Zero One I was commenting on how bad the effects were, because for a show that makes a fuckload more money than TsuPro's Ultra shows via merchandising, it doesn't seem like a lot of that goes back into Kamen Rider to make the show look better effects wise (although the suits are goddamned outstanding).

Thunder Breaster apparently caught Tsuburaya by surprise on just HOW popular he was with kids. It really was the case that they said "we should do more with an Ultra like this", so it was definitely the cause of the next series being Geed.

Edit: basically, Thunder Breaster is the Ultraman Wolverine.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 5, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They need to bring Redman back as an antagonist in a Ultraman series someday

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I just realized why Heisei series are half as long as Showa series; that way the show is over before paint starts coming off the suit! No more brown hands Ultraseven situations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Kuuga motorcycle stunts are extremely cool. I don't even particularly like motorcycles! But when you smack the villain in the face with it :thatsrad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to this thread I was able to get all of Maskman. God bless.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1279899354774384640

Such a cool loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

gourdcaptain posted:

It's like how my opinion on Onari from Ghost is "this material is bad, holy crap this performance is amazing".

I can agree on that with Onari, while a very bad character in almost every way from his writing to his obnoxious dialogue, is kind of actually fun and goofy to watch because his actor does an excellent job hamming up a dreadful script.