Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Epicurius posted:

The earliest desciption of a Christian religious ceremony, btw, comes from Justin Martyr, who was executed in 165.

Incorrect, the Didache is probably a bit earlier. Like end of first century, version we have like 150-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Lovely, but over here at least, 'student' tends to mean someone who goes to a university. This is a school for children. Comparing what 11 year olds were taught back then to what a 19 year old learns at the University of York today seems even more of a stretch!

Why do you think the school was exactly
Like it is today 1300 years ago

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Why do you think the school was exactly
Like it is today 1300 years ago

There are records from schools over 3000 years ago and the students are complaining about poor food, unfair grades, future career prospects and having to pay expensive bribes to their teachers.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The bad tweet was bad for several reasons, but not because York wasn't a centre of learning in the early medieval period. This dude for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcuin, educated at the cathedral school in York and went on to kickstart the Carolingian renaissance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Twitter < York
Medieval era < Now
Education > No education

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

modern students should study like 9th century ones
i have. now what.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

i have. now what.

time to go even further back and sit at the feet of a philosopher as he describes how beans are the ultimate, and indeed, only evil in this world

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather go back in time and explain to ancient Romans the concept of Boltzmann Brains

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Libluini posted:

I'd rather go back in time and explain to ancient Romans the concept of Boltzmann Brains

If they were familiar with the theories of Democritus and Lucretius, I think they could get the basics of it-- atoms moving randomly through space and briefly forming living conscious entities. Maybe they'd have more trouble with the idea that the brain is the basis of consciousness.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edit: effort

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roman glass posting, including a neat fish.

https://twitter.com/caitlinrgreen/status/1279892117872095241

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

time to go even further back and sit at the feet of a philosopher as he describes how beans are the ultimate, and indeed, only evil in this world

I've read one theory about that. There's a genetic condition called Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, or G6PDD, which is somewhat common in Mediterranean men and can cause hemolytic anemia. One of the things that can trigger the anemia in people with the condition is fava beans, which would have been the bean that Pythagoras was forbidding.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

That ribbon cup is rad as hell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

That ribbon cup is rad as hell.

I'm a little irritated at the article linked, though.

>If it looks so similar to modern glassware, how do we tell it's from Ancient Rome? Hell if we're telling you which dating methods we used, sucker

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Epicurius posted:

I've read one theory about that. There's a genetic condition called Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, or G6PDD, which is somewhat common in Mediterranean men and can cause hemolytic anemia. One of the things that can trigger the anemia in people with the condition is fava beans, which would have been the bean that Pythagoras was forbidding.

These posts discuss a few of the proposed explanations and also criticize the medical one you cite:
http://kiwihellenist.blogspot.com/2016/11/pythagoras-and-beans-1-hands-off-beans.html
http://kiwihellenist.blogspot.com/2016/12/pythagoras-and-beans-2-why-ban-beans.html

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/FrenchHist/status/1280186489368768512

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Don Gato posted:

As a native spanish speaker, it's somewhat difficult for me to understand someone speaking Italian but if it's written down I have very little trouble understanding it. I also can understand Brazilian Portuguese due to a combination of similarity and exposure, but continental Portuguese is like some kind of weird cipher that is almost, but not quite, impossible for me to understand.

Speaking native french it’s really easy to read spanish and to understand certain people but spanish speakers are mostly lost at french, which is interesting to me.

The easiest to understand I’ve heard are colombians

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 7, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

While this is true, you forgot "the number zero", meaning we don't have to go any further than first grade to prove that tweet is idiocy produced by a blithering moron. Zero hadn't even spread to Arabic in 800 (it took another decade according to Wikipedia), let alone the other side of the continent.

Eh, zero is overrated.

I'd say it actually has very little value.

Approaching nothing, even.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I tried to think of a good zero pun but could naught.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's plane that I Mostel p you then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

lol about Alexander

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"'The Effects of Binge-Drinking on Efforts to Hellenize the Indus River Valley' is not a valid thesis. Please see me at your earliest convenience."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:drat: Cleopatra looks way better with her hair down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Julius Caesar should've been played by the dude who played Brutus in Rome

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I heard someone say on a podcast that Ciaran Hinds has resting dictator face and it was a perfect description. He was great.

We don't actually have any unambiguously identified contemporary portraits of Caesar. There's one that's thought to be plus some posthumous ones. He's the biggest figure in Roman history where we can't be certain we know what he looked like.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Julius Caesar should've been played by the dude who played Brutus in Rome

:same:

But yeah I don't think the pic from that meme is even Julius? Like it doesn't look particularly like the ones wikipedia says are him

With GF's same caveat of course.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hinds never really captured the deliberately provocative, flamboyant quality of Caesar for me. It’s a very 20th-century vision of a military man turned revolutionary.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

These two Caesars look like the same person to me.

I think they only disagree on the tip of the nose and the shape of the brow a bit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh yeah caveat Hinds was really good as the role was but he didn't fit my mental image of Caesar.

e: I really liked the guy who played aging Sulla in the miniseries that had Christopher Walken as Cato.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
did Caesar keep his reputation for being foppish and concerned with his looks even later in his career, or was that just him as a young man?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hinds looks like asterix's portrayal of caesar given flesh

which is not a bad thing

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have a good read about the ancient indian republics?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The worst casting in the show Rome was probably Cato, who looked like he was 70 when the character was in his 40s.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epicurius posted:

The worst casting in the show Rome was probably Cato, who looked like he was 70 when the character was in his 40s.

this is perfectly in the spirit of cato's self image. he was 70 his entire life

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

did Caesar keep his reputation for being foppish and concerned with his looks even later in his career, or was that just him as a young man?

Suetonius says that he hated being bald and wore his laurels, or a comb-over, at all times; also that people joked he invaded Britain because he heard there were pearls there. So he definitely kept a reputation for vanity into his maturity.

e: oh yeah, and Plutarch(?) claims he wore tall red boots which he claimed were the prerogative of his ancestors the kings of Alba Longa

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 7, 2020

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

PittTheElder posted:

:same:

But yeah I don't think the pic from that meme is even Julius? Like it doesn't look particularly like the ones wikipedia says are him

With GF's same caveat of course.

There's really no reason to believe either of those are Julius Caesar. For one thing they look nothing like each other. I don't think there are any positively identified Julius Caesar statues. People just take random statues of who knows who and say that it's Caesar for publicity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pompey's casting I really didn't like. The dude died at 57 but the actor who played him was already 61 portraying Pompey a decade+ prior to his death. It made him look way more washed up and straight creepy compared to Caesar than he needed to. I watched it the first time with people who basically knew none of the characters at all except Caesar, and they couldn't understand why anyone gave a poo poo about the fat creepy old man making out with Caesar's hot daughter or how those two men could've been friends or colleagues.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

this is perfectly in the spirit of cato's self image. he was 70 his entire life

Don't be mean to poor Cato.The guy was at one point, young, well respected, and really seen as an up and comer.

But the show did have a definite pro-Caesar bias, where his enemies were (with both Cato and as just mentioned, Pompey), depicted as older and stodgier than they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Here’s what Caesar looked like.

The traditional identification of statuary as depicting him is not arbitrary, but based on perceived likeness to these definitely authentic portraits (as well as to textual descriptions like that of Suetonius).

Complicating the issue is that there’s no reason why any two statues of the same guy should look exactly like each other. Sculpture is not photography (though the same person can photograph pretty differently at different times and places anyway). Who knows if, when and how those two sculptors saw the man himself?