Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Bob A Feet posted:

Shut the gently caress up you babies. Post some BBQ.

Slow Smoking Meat: STFU and post some BBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
*peeks in door* Oh my.

I'm trying a pastrami. Using an entire brisket, following Amazing Ribs' recipe for corned beef. Made the pickling spices (also AR's recipe), and now I'm waiting for the pickling salt in the mail. No one told me how important that stuff is. Beef will go in Monday, expecting to finish in 10 days or so. THEN I actually have to smoke the thing. I hope this is worth it. I want nothing less than Katz or Carnegie quality pastrami at this point.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just be careful on the final cook for the pastrami itself. That Amazing Ribs rub is delicious as gently caress, but if you decide to steam it from 150 up to final temp, if you go too quickly then if feels like there's not really enough time for enough fat rendering and meat getting tender. It's still a brisket, and it's not a matter of just hitting temp, it needs to spend enough time at those temps too to get nice and tender.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Good note. I was expecting to smoke it all the way through. But if it's more traditionally Jewish to steam it I'd rather follow that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
10lbs trimmed down to about 8, coated with the yellow mustard and rubbed with a ton of brown sugar, salt, paprika and other stuff. Next time you see it it’ll be a little meteorite!

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
My wife and I started playing with a stick burner a few weeks ago, we've been starting with some inexpensive cuts to see what we can figure out but it turns out that's all it takes for an amazing pork belly sandwich. Pretty interested in what happens with your pastrami though, I feel like that's the next big objective after we figure out what the gently caress we're doing.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

M2tt posted:

My wife and I started playing with a stick burner a few weeks ago, we've been starting with some inexpensive cuts to see what we can figure out but it turns out that's all it takes for an amazing pork belly sandwich. Pretty interested in what happens with your pastrami though, I feel like that's the next big objective after we figure out what the gently caress we're doing.

That's a great second picture. Looks amazing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm a microbiologist, dumbass.

This doesn't mean anything except you're bad at your job.

I'm a health inspector. You're describing a perfect scenario for botulism. No oxygen, low heat and plenty of moisture to kill your friends.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 4, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm a health inspector. You're describing a perfect scenario for botulism. No oxygen, low heat and plenty of moisture to kill your friends.

lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'm a botolism microbe and you are both dipshits actually

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
this thread is getting rly spicy and i'm living for it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hot drat that twist. :munch:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I feel like you are trolling or simply missing some key information. Let's recap this entire conversation, then dive into the microbiology a bit:

FogHelmut posted:

16.5 hours at 200 degrees. Put it in a cooler for 2 hours after it hit 190. I might pull it at 185 next time.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I hope you enjoy botulinum. Like, at least take it above the boiling point.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nah man the safe ground beef temp is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Botulism toxin is denatured at 175 anyways (since it took so long to get up to temp). It's safe but it might not be that tender since you want to try to get it up to ~205 in order to get that collagen brakedown.
“Foodborne botulism is a rare illness caused by eating foods contaminated with botulinum toxin. Spores of C. botulinum are ubiquitous in the environment (3), but growth and elaboration of toxin occur only under particular conditions that include an anaerobic, low-salt, low-acid environment." "Toxin is destroyed by heating to 85°C for at least 5 minutes (Note – I’ve also seen 180 degrees F for 10 minutes as well – ref https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/botulism-9-305/).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3320287/

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The bacteria that create the toxins do not die until around 225 so that doesn't mean poo poo.

Whooping Crabs posted:

For botulism, it's the toxin, not the spores, which cause disease (unless you are an infant or immunocompromised). The spores can't germinate/survive in your gut. Also this is why it's not recommended to give infants honey because it may contain botulism spores.

"For almost all children and adults who are healthy, ingesting botulism spores is not dangerous and will not cause botulism (it’s the toxin that is dangerous)."

https://www.cdc.gov/botulism/prevention.html

There are other potential bacterial-secreted toxins which can cause food poisoning (staph, others) but those also are denatured around ~80c (175f).
Here’s the thing – C. botulinum will only grow in certain conditions (anaerobic, at certain temperatures and acidities – see the link above). There are two states of the bacteria – a dormant endospore and the vegetative bacteria. The endospore is heat resistant up to very high temperatures, but the vegetative form is the one that produces the toxin, and only at certain temperatures and conditions. The spores are ubiquitous in our environment, and not normally dangerous to ingest, since they will not germinate into the vegetative form, or won’t live long enough once germinated in our colon. Growth and production of toxin in food is on the scale of tens of hours to days (Table 2 – see T1,000) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12747693/. Growth occurs only at temperatures between 38 and 122 degrees Fahrenheit. https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/botulism-9-305/ Again, if you heat the food enough (~175 for 10 minutes), you have already killed the vegetative bacteria, and denatured the toxin.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

drat you really don't understand bacteria. The botulism is creating botulinum toxins. Denaturing the toxins but not killing the bacteria means the bacteria will continue to create the toxins. This is very basic stuff. You're also ten degrees too low for killing the botulinum toxin so you're trying to kill people anyway.
This is just wrong, see above. Cook a steak to 125c (~250 farenheit - the temperature to deactivate endospores) internal temp and tell me how it tastes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Also, as a food inspector, you should know that the minimum safe temperature to cook beef to is only 145 °F internal temperature
https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safety-charts/safe-minimum-cooking-temperature

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 4, 2020

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Whooping Crabs posted:

I feel like you are trolling or simply missing some key information. Let's recap this entire conversation, then dive into the microbiology a bit:

“Foodborne botulism is a rare illness caused by eating foods contaminated with botulinum toxin. Spores of C. botulinum are ubiquitous in the environment (3), but growth and elaboration of toxin occur only under particular conditions that include an anaerobic, low-salt, low-acid environment." "Toxin is destroyed by heating to 85°C for at least 5 minutes (Note – I’ve also seen 180 degrees F for 10 minutes as well – ref https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/botulism-9-305/).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3320287/

Here’s the thing – C. botulinum will only grow in certain conditions (anaerobic, at certain temperatures and acidities – see the link above). There are two states of the bacteria – a dormant endospore and the vegetative bacteria. The endospore is heat resistant up to very high temperatures, but the vegetative form is the one that produces the toxin, and only at certain temperatures and conditions. The spores are ubiquitous in our environment, and not normally dangerous to ingest, since they will not germinate into the vegetative form, or won’t live long enough once germinated in our colon. Growth and production of toxin in food is on the scale of tens of hours to days (Table 2 – see T1,000) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12747693/. Growth occurs only at temperatures between 38 and 122 degrees Fahrenheit. https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/botulism-9-305/ Again, if you heat the food enough (~175 for 10 minutes), you have already killed the vegetative bacteria, and denatured the toxin.

This is just wrong, see above. Cook a steak to 125c (~250 farenheit - the temperature to deactivate endospores) internal temp and tell me how it tastes.

Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Whooping Crabs posted:

Let's recap this entire conversation, then dive into the microbiology a bit:

No shut up and post some bbq fancy doctor man

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

um excuse me posted:

Good note. I was expecting to smoke it all the way through. But if it's more traditionally Jewish to steam it I'd rather follow that.

I think places like Katz's steam to finish just because that's what makes for the easiest production in a very busy restaurant. Smoking all the way will be totally fine and good.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

No shut up and post some bbq fancy doctor man

Ok here's a bad picture of some ribs I smoked two days ago. Used a dry rub to start, did the 3-2-1 method, finished the last hour with a homemade bbq sauce. I used cinnamon for the first time in both the rub and the sauce, and it turned out really delicious.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I usually smoke pork spare ribs, this time we've got baby back or pork loin ribs, how much time do they take? I'm usually budgeting 5-6 hours for spare ribs but don't have a number in mind for this cut.

Fake edit: I'm usually going at 225

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Nobody tell the sous vide thread

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Carillon posted:

I usually smoke pork spare ribs, this time we've got baby back or pork loin ribs, how much time do they take? I'm usually budgeting 5-6 hours for spare ribs but don't have a number in mind for this cut.

Fake edit: I'm usually going at 225

I usually go 5-6 hours but account time to fire up the grill and then rest them

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Is everyone always wrapping ribs? I usually do 321 ribs @ 325° but wanted to try no wrap today. Then I chickened out when it was 5pm and they clearly had a ways to go and wrapped them.

Also my first time trying untrimmed spare ribs

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SaltPig posted:

Is everyone always wrapping ribs? I usually do 321 ribs @ 325° but wanted to try no wrap today. Then I chickened out when it was 5pm and they clearly had a ways to go and wrapped them.

I exclusively buy Costco ribs and never wrap them, because I can't be bothered. :shrug: They always turn out super well regardless.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I have to admit to buying Costco's pre-dryrubbed st.louis ribs because I am assuming they are using the Pork Barrel rub; that I also shamefully buy there instead of making my own.

This is the first time I have done full, untrimmed spareribs. Only wrapped for an hour but that seems to do the trick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

St. Louis style rib prep. All the ones I buy have the silver skin so I remove that, but when you turn them over half of them have this flap of meat and fat. Should I be removing that or just trimming the fat or??

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I took the lining off as best as I could. Left the lining underneath that flap intact and it seemed fine. And kept the flap itself.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I usually trim off all that excess overhang and flap shenanigans and use it for a second meal later on. Makes pretty decent crock pot stew fodder, 90% of those collagen cylinders dissolve into the liquid and make it mouthfeely as heck.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Stew details please? I always get the whole rack and just eat around the cartilage

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I don't have a specific recipe per say.... Salt up and sear as much of the rib end slab thing as you can in a hot pan, then drop it in the crock pot with the usual suspects. A few carrots, potatoes, celery stalks, an onion, a few garlic cloves, some tomato paste, some broth, worcestershire, a bay leaf or two, maybe a sachet of other random herbs you have (rosemary, parsley, thyme, oregano, whatever). Could sub the broth for some red wine, or a mix of the two. Crock pots own. Just dump poo poo in there and turn it on for 8 hours.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 5, 2020

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
To celebrate the 4th of July this year, I decided to use my Kamado as a grill instead of a smoker this time!

I will be celebrating America's birthday by grilling up some delicious... Korean BBQ!

Got some chicken, pork, AND beef going on in there.

Plated up:

gently caress yea happy bday America!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Smoking meats in three pictures

Homemade rub, spritzed every three hours at the 6 hour mark on with apple juice. About 15 hours total at 250. Bark for fuckin days. Served with homemade flour tortillas, slaw, and mango habanero sauce. Fuckin BANGIN.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
brisket on the pit barrel cooker

think I probably over-trimmed a bit, but it was well-received and I've got leftovers for days

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m done with my MES. I turn it to 195 and the temp drops as low as 180. It turn it to 205 and it climbs to 250. The temp swings just seem insane for trying to maintain a temp. I’m doing ribs and set it for 215 knowing it reads a bit high and it peaked at 280.

Edit: problem is definitely between 200 and 205. 200 is too low and 205 skyrockets to 240.

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 5, 2020

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SaltPig posted:

3-2-1 at 325 and wrapping? That's way too much, too hot, too long my friend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MES is like an outside electric oven.

Toss your probe into your indoor oven and see how it does.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Colostomy Bag posted:

MES is like an outside electric oven.

Toss your probe into your indoor oven and see how it does.

Nothings wrong with the probe. I’m using two of them reading from different thermometers and they’re pretty close to each other.

The smoker was set to 215 at the end there when it peaked to 270. It’s set for 210 now. I opened it once toward the beginning.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 5, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think he's saying that electric ovens will cycle over and under the target temperature, and that the MES will have the same behavior.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I just tested my builder generic electric oven last night because my wife was suspicious of it. +15-50 degrees, depending whether the element was on or off. When I had an MES, it was the same way.

In the end though dude variations like that have little effect in your cooked product. I typically shoot for 225-250 and will accept variations up to 275.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hit me with a good rub recipe for pulled pork, not too spicy. I’m stuck in a rut.