Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Raku posted:

i wonder what it will be like to see The Villages FL as a ghosttown

at least it will finally contain the rampant STDs

What did they say about NJ when it hit their nursing community? Like fire through dry grass? Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

look into the face of a possibly 200 year old turtle

this isn’t the blessed thread

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s “eatin size” for an opossum?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

What’s “eatin size” for an opossum?

5-8 pounds, so just like cat.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Canada has had just over 100k cases the entire pandemic. Seeing the numbers from some of these states is loving insane

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Canada has had just over 100k cases the entire pandemic. Seeing the numbers from some of these states is loving insane

In these trying times, I welcome our cousins from Quebec to Florida. Come on down, you can eat at a crowded restaurant named Frenchie's! You can fly back home to see the grandkids on the weekend! Try the oysters! Forget to tip your server! Ïa! Ïa! Cthulu Fhtagn!

-this message brought to you by the Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shaocaholica posted:

Can’t wait for this weekends numbers.

Hold on to your goddamn hat because it's gonna be a doozy! They'll probably retroactively add thousands back onto Friday and Saturday at some point as well because a whole bunch of states just stopped reporting for a bit. Friday was probably over 60,000 new cases, I guess we'll find out on Tuesday morning.

July 3:

quote:

California: Los Angeles County has not reported data today ""Public Health will be improving our data processing systems and will not report data beginning on Friday, July 3rd until Monday, July 6th.

July 4:

quote:

Minnesota: "In observance of the Fourth of July holiday, we will not be updating the data on this page on Saturday, July 4. Updates will resume on Sunday, July 5"

quote:

Louisiana: "LDH will observe Independence Day and not update the COVID-19 dashboard on July 4. Reporting will resume July 5."

quote:

California: San Diego County: "In observance of the holiday, data will not be updated on July 4th, data updates will resume on July 5th" This is in addition to Los Angeles County.
New Hampshire, Kentucky and Rhode Island also didn't report on Saturday.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
How accurate are the tests that most places are using? My wife keeps having some symptoms that track with COVID since the lockdown started (fever, coughing, etc) but the tests that she took in March and April both came back negative. She's feeling ill again and is planning on getting tested on Saturday if she doesn't improve, but how likely is it that she's received false negatives?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

William Munny posted:

How accurate are the tests that most places are using? My wife keeps having some symptoms that track with COVID since the lockdown started (fever, coughing, etc) but the tests that she took in March and April both came back negative. She's feeling ill again and is planning on getting tested on Saturday if she doesn't improve, but how likely is it that she's received false negatives?

I am not a doctor but it seems incredible/impossible that she could be symptomatic for 4 months.

I mean, even if that is possible you'd think that people around her would have been infected in significant number numbers and subsequently traced back to her?

Edit: I am not american and my understanding of US testing is limited to knowing that the tests used and the false negative rate vary from region to region. What kind of tests, where and when?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 6, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

William Munny posted:

It really depends on the tests, apparently there's been over 100 different ones sold throughout the US and some were much less accurate than others.

Also none of them are 100% accurate so even though it's unlikely she'd get several incorrect readings in a row there's always a tiny chance they were all wrong.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Blitter posted:

I am not a doctor but it seems incredible/impossible that she could be symptomatic for 4 months.

I mean, even if that is possible you'd think that people around her would have been infected in significant number numbers and subsequently traced back to her?

Edit: I am not american and my understanding of US testing is limited to knowing that the tests used and the false negative rate vary from region to region. What kind of tests, where and when?

Not to say that she's consistently had symptoms, but she'll go through a period where she's fatigued/coughing/etc. sometimes with a fever and sometimes not, that will last a couple of weeks and then feel better. Since we started isolating (March 13th I think?) the only people we have had contact with would be each other and delivery/curbside folks, but that would have been through a window or something like that while both wearing masks and practicing good hygiene (washing hands, washing food or food containers). We recently got a dog and have been dropping him off twice a week for dog training and interacting with the trainer, but again masks and trying to be as far away as possible.

This is in Austin TX and I think she got tested late March and mid April.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

William Munny posted:

Not to say that she's consistently had symptoms, but she'll go through a period where she's fatigued/coughing/etc. sometimes with a fever and sometimes not, that will last a couple of weeks and then feel better. Since we started isolating (March 13th I think?) the only people we have had contact with would be each other and delivery/curbside folks, but that would have been through a window or something like that while both wearing masks and practicing good hygiene (washing hands, washing food or food containers). We recently got a dog and have been dropping him off twice a week for dog training and interacting with the trainer, but again masks and trying to be as far away as possible.

This is in Austin TX and I think she got tested late March and mid April.

Maybe she’s just sick of you

j/k, hope she feels better soon!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1279945803856072704

:(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

... "complications" ...

quote:

Since being diagnosed with what was thought to be pneumonia in late March, the Canadian actor spent weeks in intensive care at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, had his right leg amputated, lost more than 60 pounds and was hoping to receive a double-lung transplant.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Scary not because he is famous. But this dude fought hard was only 41 and probably had the best medical treatment available and still didn't make it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm sort of glad he's not suffering anymore, as grim as that is. I remember when he got it, then the leg amputation, then recently the needed double lung transplant.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

zer0spunk posted:

thank you for your service. we'll make sure your tombstone reads "a cosmic cat"

so disney is out of their god drat minds

they are reopening the parks in 6 days.

florida hit 10k cases yesterday.

not only that, they are having a dispute with park performers. they refused to put daily testing in place so the actor's equity (union) put a stop work order on park performers..

latest news there:

insanity. you shouldn't open the theme park in the first place, but to deny testing people who have to go unmasked for their jobs and interact often is some evil poo poo. you guys have disney money!

The last I read was that, even with Disney Money, they have more cast members than the entire loving state has tests.

And the governor will not under any circumstances try to rectify this without permission from Strong Daddy.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Hazo posted:

The last I read was that, even with Disney Money, they have more cast members than the entire loving state has tests.

And the governor will not under any circumstances try to rectify this without permission from Strong Daddy.

It is insane that Disney would even want to open with such a large moral / legal hazard. Death Cult stonks gotta go up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not surprising that the Mouse doesn’t care about the moral hazard, and they have better lawyers than God so they’re covered on that front.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gonna be real hard to keep all these places open if everyone is ill or dead

What’s the world gonna be like just by next weekend? If we are breaking 100k/day new cases, how long is this poo poo sustainable?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

rotinaj posted:

Gonna be real hard to keep all these places open if everyone is ill or dead

What’s the world gonna be like just by next weekend? If we are breaking 100k/day new cases, how long is this poo poo sustainable?

Just will start counting the body bags instead of cases.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I mean Disney is all about safety and guest satisfaction so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they bumped back the opening. Regardless, the wife and I are taking the payout for our annual passes and we don’t plan on touching the place for at least the rest of the year.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
they are trying to go the waiver route, this is on their website

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

zer0spunk posted:

they are trying to go the waiver route, this is on their website

Trying to open an amusement park during a plague is the most on brand thing I have heard for late stage capitalism.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vire posted:

Trying to open an amusement park during a plague is the most on brand thing I have heard for late stage capitalism.

I posted it earlier but it's not even the most Jurassic park thing.

Jurassic World 3 is about to be one of the first major film productions to try and shoot in July.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/universal-jurassic-world-production-uk-chris-pratt-bryce-dallas-howard-1202958819/

starting tmrw go figure

quote:

The studio is manufacturing 150 hand sanitizer stations to be positioned at points around Pinewood Studios. They are also putting in an extra 60 sinks. All crew members will also be given an individual hand sanitizer bottle when they start.

what could go wrong

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 6, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zer0spunk posted:

I posted it earlier but it's not even the most Jurassic park thing.

Jurassic World 3 is about to be one of the first major film productions to try and shoot in July.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/universal-jurassic-world-production-uk-chris-pratt-bryce-dallas-howard-1202958819/

starting tmrw go figure

quote:

The studio is manufacturing 150 hand sanitizer stations to be positioned at points around Pinewood Studios. They are also putting in an extra 60 sinks. All crew members will also be given an individual hand sanitizer bottle when they start.

They spared no expense!!!! :haw:

No but really, the irony here is fuckin' off the charts

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I've left the house maybe 3 times since early March and people are out trying to film a movie. It blows my mind.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

Tell me more about the possum dens you have made please

That is cool as hell

Sure!

So I went out and bought four weatherproof bins. One large, one slightly smaller. Between them I put house siding insulation boards. Then I got an angled pipe and cut a hole through both bins to fit it, then I sealed it on the outside. Then before I put them out every fall/winter I put a big pile of straw in there. You can't use hay tho because it'll mold and that would be bad. You can buy compressed blocks of hay on Amazon for pretty cheap. They often drag leaves in and push out any straw they don't want. I then put a large plywood sheet over the tops of them with stones to keep it on. It stops heavy snows from blocking the entrance and stops snow/ice from forming on the top lid itself. All said and done both of them probably ran me around $35-40 total? I keep them in a shed during summer because I don't want them to rely on them year round or stray cats taking up residence. They're only meant for a temporary respite from the really really cold days since Opposums move around during winter a lot and don't really have a permanent den.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 6, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Very cool! Would be neat to have an opossum cam to check in on them with.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Very cool! Would be neat to have an opossum cam to check in on them with.

This must happen..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cool cribs, compadre.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

You can also cut to fit styrofoam coolers for the inserts between the bins.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

William Munny posted:

Can't speak to the accuracy of the tests, but I've seen some mentions of people having persistent symptoms for months, especially fatigue, and symptoms that come and go in waves. Wish I could link something direct, it was in my twitter feed a while back from a source that seemed reliable, but I can't track it down at the moment so take it with a grain of salt.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would recommend getting an inexpensive pulse oximeter if you can budget for it. Tremendous peace of mind. We're also taking baby aspirin and vitamin D.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

Kestral posted:

Can't speak to the accuracy of the tests, but I've seen some mentions of people having persistent symptoms for months, especially fatigue, and symptoms that come and go in waves. Wish I could link something direct, it was in my twitter feed a while back from a source that seemed reliable, but I can't track it down at the moment so take it with a grain of salt.

One of my co-workers has been dealing with this for months. About 6 weeks after she had first contracted it, she had a recurrence of symptoms and tested positive again. It's just lingering forever for her. Not sure how common it is but geez.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I've been taking 2500mg of aspirin every day as a preventative until I can get my hands on some hydroxychloroquine. I think I've figured out how to make it at home, just need to wait til tomorrow when the pool supplies store opens up. Should just be equal parts hydrogen peroxide and some simple pool chlorine. Not sure about the "quine" part of it but I figure if it comes last it can't be that important. I'll be sure to only inject a half-dose until I'm sure I got it right.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Chocobo posted:

I've been taking 2500mg of aspirin every day as a preventative until I can get my hands on some hydroxychloroquine. I think I've figured out how to make it at home, just need to wait til tomorrow when the pool supplies store opens up. Should just be equal parts hydrogen peroxide and some simple pool chlorine. Not sure about the "quine" part of it but I figure if it comes last it can't be that important. I'll be sure to only inject a half-dose until I'm sure I got it right.

Mix your hydrogen peroxide & chlorine slurry into a gin & tonic, 1 part slurry & 2 parts G&T. Pound that poo poo down and sit back while you feel the prophylactic effects roll over your brain.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My plan is to butt-chug tonic water every hour on the hour. Wish me luck.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blitter posted:

Actually "long-haulers" are a phenomenon with this disease, there's a decent article about it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/28/coronavirus-long-haulers-infectious-disease-testing

Whether they're symptomatic or if they'd show up as positive is another matter though. But it seems that if you can come up with a weird (plausible) side-effect of this virus, it probably exists in some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Yeah, there's a subreddit for covid+ people to discuss their symptoms. An alarming number of posts from people claiming their symptoms have lasted for months. More recently, I've been seeing posts about possible reinfections too.