Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

Finally turned my 9 year old son onto the first two films and he LOVED them both but he also confirmed for me that Aliens is the superior film (which I already knew) but it 100% does not work at all unless you've seen Alien and relies on the first movie's set up to be really effective. You absolutely need the first movie to show just how deadly ONE of these fuckers is.

Now he wants to play Alien: Isolation

Eh I saw Aliens before Alien and didn't feel like I was missing out. If anything, I was more scared watching Alien even though I knew how nasty the xenomorphs were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

Eh I saw Aliens before Alien and didn't feel like I was missing out. If anything, I was more scared watching Alien even though I knew how nasty the xenomorphs were.
James Cameron's personal philosophy is that a prior movie should never be required viewing to understand a sequel.

Whether you feel he succeeds in achieving that is up for debate. I personally think he does.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering Cameron made some of the most successful sequel movies around, I feel obligated to be :hmmyes: .

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

T2 and Aliens both stand on their own, and you get enough context so that the characters' motivations make sense even without having seen the previous film.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder how avatar 2 is gonna go

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xenomrph posted:

James Cameron's personal philosophy is that a prior movie should never be required viewing to understand a sequel.

Whether you feel he succeeds in achieving that is up for debate. I personally think he does.t

I mean, yeah, I suppose they can stand alone but I think you're missing out if you watch them out of order and seeing 2 first robs the first movie of almost all of its tension.

I'd say the same thing for T1 and T2.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, but also don't stop believin' in Robocop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zYOLVjX3pA

loving hell, pro-click of pro-clicks.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Aliems.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

happyhippy posted:

Would like to know how they got the live one into it jar in the first place.

IIRC, they were surgically removed from the victims.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

T2 and Aliens both stand on their own, and you get enough context so that the characters' motivations make sense even without having seen the previous film.

I agree. I saw T2 first when I was a kid and LOVED it. I didn't see T1 until later and still LOVED it. I remember playing a Terminator game for the Genesis and got scared because it was based off of T1 and that was more horrorish than T2.

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, yeah, I suppose they can stand alone but I think you're missing out if you watch them out of order and seeing 2 first robs the first movie of almost all of its tension.

I'd say the same thing for T1 and T2.

I also agree. Seeing the first one is always better. But of course the point is that they can stand on their own and they sure do.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just for fun how would everyone rank Terminator 3, Alien 3 and Robocop 2? (imo this is the fairest comparison)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Robocop 2's the only one that doesn't retroactively gently caress up the previous film, so that's the best. Don't really care which way round you rank the others.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Just for fun how would everyone rank Terminator 3, Alien 3 and Robocop 2? (imo this is the fairest comparison)

Alien 3 > Robocop 2 >>> Terminator 3

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I liked Alien 3 after many watches over the years. After getting over the incredibly stupid beginning the rest of the movie is pretty interesting. The Assembly Cut helps it a bit. I never really liked Robocop 2 but I never saw it as a kid so there's no nostalgia. So as an adult I thought it was pretty stupid. A kid crime boss? I hate kids in movies. Besides the scene with all of the new Robocops. T3 also grew on me. I thought it was pretty dumb at first and the enemy robot was really stupid. "You can do whatever you want without limits." That doesn't make it very fun. Although I liked the ending where Judgement Day happens and they were supposed to survive it.

I don't have the best opinions, but they are mine!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Assembly cut of Alien 3 deserves a bigger audience.

I love Robocop, but I never really cared for Robocop 2. It's aged poorly with Frank Miller Bullshit, and is an unfocused mess. Never saw 3, so I can't really comment on it.

Terminator 3 can go suck a gently caress, and honestly, Dark Fate pretty much retconning 3~Gannassyssssss out of existence is a blessing.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I liked Alien 3 after many watches over the years. After getting over the incredibly stupid beginning the rest of the movie is pretty interesting. The Assembly Cut helps it a bit. I never really liked Robocop 2 but I never saw it as a kid so there's no nostalgia. So as an adult I thought it was pretty stupid. A kid crime boss? I hate kids in movies. Besides the scene with all of the new Robocops. T3 also grew on me. I thought it was pretty dumb at first and the enemy robot was really stupid. "You can do whatever you want without limits." That doesn't make it very fun. Although I liked the ending where Judgement Day happens and they were supposed to survive it.

I don't have the best opinions, but they are mine!

Terminator 3:
No Fate
Some Fate?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Vagabundo posted:

The Assembly cut of Alien 3 deserves a bigger audience.

I love Robocop, but I never really cared for Robocop 2. It's aged poorly with Frank Miller Bullshit, and is an unfocused mess. Never saw 3, so I can't really comment on it.

Robocop 3 is aggressively terrible. The drop in quality between 2 and 3 is jarring. Special effects are terrible, acting is terrible, the satire is no longer subtle.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah the actors are pretty bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

About equally bad.

That's a good question though since they're all kinda not good but I'd go:

R2
T3
A3

depending on my mood. But then again I'd never willfully watch any of them ever again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have you seen the assembly cut of Alien3?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Are the Alien Omnibuses good? Any recommended Alien comics that aren’t part of that series?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’ll just chime in and say I’m the guy that doesn’t hate T3. I know it’s trash, but I love the ending.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I saw t3 in theater and kind of liked it, I've gotta revisit it.

Then again I didn't hate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in theater either, I just like(d) going to the movies :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are the Alien Omnibuses good? Any recommended Alien comics that aren’t part of that series?
I’m work-posting right now but I’ll do an effort post when I get home. Short answer: the omnibuses can be hit or miss depending on your tolerance for silly 90s comic bullshit. Some of the comics are real fuckin’ good, some miss “the point” of ‘Aliens’ but are still a good time, others are pretty dumb unless you’re a die-hard fan, and others are just bad.

As for stuff not collected, I’m a fan of the semi-recent ‘Aliens: Dust to Dust’. A lot of people liked ‘Aliens: Dead Orbit’ but I thought it was pretty bad.

Torquemada posted:

I’ll just chime in and say I’m the guy that doesn’t hate T3. I know it’s trash, but I love the ending.

I’m okay with T3, as well.

Fun fact: I was hired to moderate the official Terminator3.com forums, back in the day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

T3 is weird in that there was clearly a huge amount of money thrown at it, but it also feels and looks oddly cheap.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Alien 3 is easily the best of bunch. It's an ok movie but it still has some memorable scenes and performances.

Robocop 2 is a bizarre mess of ideas while misunderstanding what made the original good.

Terminator 3 is soulless and forgettable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Robocop 3 is aggressively terrible. The drop in quality between 2 and 3 is jarring. Special effects are terrible, acting is terrible, the satire is no longer subtle.

They had someone else play Murphy as well, right?

Joe Chill posted:

Robocop 2 is a bizarre mess of ideas while misunderstanding what made the original good.

What really bothered me about Robocop 2 was just how mean-spirited it felt. Everyone in it was such a dickhead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Torquemada posted:

Whoever did the production design for the end should be brought on for the Fallout series.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

They had someone else play Murphy as well, right?

What really bothered me about Robocop 2 was just how mean-spirited it felt. Everyone in it was such a dickhead.

That was Robocop 3. Which I saw in the theaters as a kid and loved it.

It uh... did not hold up well.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Vagabundo posted:

To me Robocop 2 seems like a jumbled collection of good ideas that needed a competent rewrite or two so that the story flowed properly.

Things I liked:
OCP tries to recreate their success with creating Robocop but it's not an exact formula. New bots go off the rails and one becomes a villain.
Well meaning idiots try to redesign Robocop's prime directives by committee to make him more PC. It goes horribly wrong.
The kindly old CEO from the first movie is revealed to really be a horrible person.
OCP treats Robocop as if he is a malfunctioning machine and try to scrap him after he is severely damaged. His co-workers argue that he is still human enough to be treated like one.

Things I didn't like:
Robocop's character arc was to rid himself of the spurious directives. He achieves this half way through the movie and then bumbles around until he's needed for the big fight at the end. The electrocution scene should have been shifted to be the pivotal point in that battle.
Shock horror the kid becomes a criminal mastermind to replace the old one. Maybe instead we could have merged the traitor cop and the kid characters to make the criminal mastermind be one of the cops. Then Robocop could spend part of the movie rooting out corruption in the police force in the same violent shooty way he rooted out corrupt OCP executives.
OCP make the new Robocop 2 out of a hardened junkie criminal mastermind. What? I get the justification that no-one will care what happens to a criminal and they think they can control him with drugs but how could any thinking adult expect that plan to go smoothly. Maybe instead Kane could be a criminal test subject that gets released into the wild by a corrupt cop and gets his parts completed by the criminal gang. That way OCP is unethical but not completely stupid.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I liked Felton Perry getting recast too.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Holy poo poo my local cinema (in NZ) is showing Predator, Heat, Fight Club and Alien. Apparently Disney is doing some good deals with cinemas to help them out.

Thinking About Going To See Alien (the movie).

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

I had seen Aliens dozens of times and loved it by the time I saw Alien at a cousin's house, probably 10 or so? I remember literally crawling under a table between two couches because of how poo poo scared I was but didn't want anyone to notice. I was a very weird and small kid who constantly sought out crawlspaces and such to hide in, so there's maybe a 10% chance people thought it was me being me and not just a little kid getting the gently caress scared out of him by a movie that does absolutely not require virgin eyes to have the intended effect.

PhotoKirk posted:

IIRC, they were surgically removed from the victims.

I think given what we know about the biology, the victims were surgically removed from them. Short of sawing the head up into quarters and spatchcocking the neck and torso I don't see how you get an intact live facehugger off a host and there obviously no way you get a live host out from under a face hugger.

Red Rox posted:

Holy poo poo my local cinema (in NZ) is showing Predator, Heat, Fight Club and Alien. Apparently Disney is doing some good deals with cinemas to help them out.

Eyy, lookit Johnny Bigballs overhere, bragging about getting to see 'cinema' just because his government and populace reacted in an appropriate and timely manner to a crisis that absolutely did not ever have to become a disaster! Those who would sacrifice not wearing a mask for the privilege of seeing a movie deserve neither!

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 7, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Torquemada posted:

As a guy who learned a lot of E&M in college/university... lets just say it's very good that the existence of time travel means that our laws of physics don't apply. Running around in a live particle accelerator is not something a person who is needed, alive, in 20 years time should be doing.

And as a guy who literally does this kind of work for his career, a human entering a particle accelerator and that particle accelerator being operational is probably more of an impossibility than time travel. In terms of the engineering work that goes into them they're mostly machines designed for not killing people who work in/near them that do science as a side effect.

Apropos of nothing here's two very fun songs that are all of a sudden stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eetkdzmf9rM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1KIm9ZznP8

E: not to jump too many tangents in one post but we were just discussing the Insidious Algorithm in the Boomer Complaint Thread, and after posting in an Alien thread I go listen to the epoxies and get this suggestion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ldpyIE5t4

e: Ok and ten minutes in and someone needs to option this for the next Alien movie. All I want is a high concept Cloverfield style Alien sequel where it's far future, the xeno threat has been tamed and it's some chubby dude with a pushbroom mustache keeping them as a hobby talking into a camcorder about how "this is just borderline ridiculous" "I don't wanna do this but anyone who comes upon this hive could get hurt" and "I had other things I wanted to do today but I'm just gonna go after this queen and be done with it". "Smells like a banana factory in here." Complains about all the protective gear he needs as he just armors up into one of those power armor things the comics invented for fighting Aliens.

Then of course just rips poo poo through a hive of Aliens all while retaining his flat, put upon affect. And murders the Queen, while talking to the wrong, dead camera.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 7, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Oh poo poo, which one? Hollywood in Avondale?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

I’m work-posting right now but I’ll do an effort post when I get home. Short answer: the omnibuses can be hit or miss depending on your tolerance for silly 90s comic bullshit. Some of the comics are real fuckin’ good, some miss “the point” of ‘Aliens’ but are still a good time, others are pretty dumb unless you’re a die-hard fan, and others are just bad.

As for stuff not collected, I’m a fan of the semi-recent ‘Aliens: Dust to Dust’. A lot of people liked ‘Aliens: Dead Orbit’ but I thought it was pretty bad.

Here's a breakdown of what's in the Alien/Predator/AvP omnibuses and what I'd rate them on a scale of 1-5 stars (and some notes). I'm trying to calibrate my ratings for "people who saw 'Alien' and 'Aliens' and liked them, but might not be hardcore lunatic fans" but I might still be a little biased. If you think that's the case, knock a star off of each of my ratings I guess.

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1
- Outbreak (#1-6) **** - the original comic series, it's worth a read just to see how the comics tackled a sequel to 'Aliens' when no movie sequel was in sight
- Nightmare Asylum (#1-4) **** - great art, great villain
- Female War (#1-4) ** - terrible art, mediocre conclusion to the trilogy
- Theory of Alien Propagation (DHP #24) ***
- The Alien (DHP #56) ***

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2
- Genocide (#1-4) *** - fun schlock
- Harvest (Previously Aliens: Hive #1-4) ***
- Colonial Marines (#1-10) ** to **** - this series is seriously batshit and the quality is all over the map. Sometimes it's amazing, other times it's, uh, less amazing. Surprised it's in vol 2 because one of the major plot points hinges on you being familiar with the stories in Volume 3

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3
- Rogue (#1-4) *** - also fun schlock, cool hammy villain, fun ending
- Sacrifice (one-shot) ****
- Labyrinth (#1-4) ***** - the best Aliens comic ever written
- Salvation (one-shot) ****
- Advent/Terminus (DHP #42-43) ****
- Reapers (DHP Fifth Anniversary Special) *** - not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but it's fun and the art is unique
- Horror Show (DHC #3-5) ***

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4
- Music of the Spears (#1-4) *** - unique premise, doesn't quite execute it well
- Stronghold (#1-4) **** - fun villain, interesting premise, one hell of a fun ending
- Frenzy (#1-4 - Previously Aliens: Berserker) ***
- Taste (one-shot) ** - borderline 3-stars; it's inoffensive but it's also only memorable for the last panel
- Mondo Pest (one-shot) *** - Goofy fun, refreshingly different
- Mondo Heat (one-shot) *** - see above

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 5
- Alchemy (#1-3) *** - borderline 4-stars, the bad guy is a real shitheel and the premise is neat
- Kidnapped (#1-4) **
- Cargo (DHC #15-16) ***
- Survival (#1-3) **** - I quite like this one, it's a pretty wild ride
- Alien (DHC #17-19) ****
- Earth Angel (one-shot) ** - borderline 3-stars
- Incubation (DHP #101-102) *** - originally the prelude story to "Batman vs Aliens"
- Havoc (#1-2) *** - borderline 4-stars, a little hard to follow at first but gets better on a second reading once you understand the "gimmicks" (plural)
- Lovesick (one-shot) ** - silly, different, not for everyone
- Lucky (Decade of DH #3) ****

Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6
- Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels (#1-4) ***** - Awesome art, sorta like 'Prometheus' with Aliens (but published 15 years before Prometheus), basically 'Heart of Darkness: Aliens Edition'
- Once in a Lifetime (DHP #140) **
- Xenogenesis (#1-4) **
- Headhunters (DHP #117) ***
- Tourist Season (DHC Annual 1997) **
- Pig (one-shot) *** - silly, fun
- Border Lines (DHC #121) **
- 45 Seconds (Aliens: Special) **** - great little story
- Elder Gods (Aliens: Special) **** - Lovecraft parody
- Purge (one-shot) - *** - neat ideas
- Glass Corridor (one-shot) ****
- Stalker (one-shot) ***
- Wraith (one-shot) ***

Aliens versus Predator Omnibus: Volume 1
- Aliens vs. Predator (#1-6) ***** - the original AvP story, gold standard of AvP stories
- Blood Time (one-shot - Previously AVP: War #0) ****
- Duel (#1-2) ***
- War (#1-4) **
- Eternal (#1-4) ***** - bad AvP story, fantastic Predator story
- Old Secrets (AVP Annual #1) ****
- The Web (DHP #146-147) **

Aliens versus Predator Omnibus: Volume 2
- Deadliest of Species (#1-12) * to **** - it's seriously hard to rate this one because it's so all over the map (moreso than the Colonial Marines comic series). Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's batshit crazy
- Booty (one-shot) ***
- Hell-bent (AVP Annual #1) ****
- Pursuit (AVP Annual #1) ***
- Lefty's Revenge (AVP Annual #1) ***
- Chained to Life and Death (AVP Annual #1)
- Genocide (#1-4 - Previously AVP: Xenogenesis) **

Predator Omnibus: Volume 1
- Concrete Jungle (#1-4) **** - Predator 2 shares a lot of similarities with it
- Cold War (#1-4) ***
- Dark River (#1-4) **
- Rite of Passage (DHC #1-2 - Also Predator: Jungle Tales) ***
- The Pride at Nghasa (DHC #10-12 - Also Predator: Jungle Tales) ***
- The Bloody Sands of Time (#1-2) **** - Predator in World War I
- Blood Feud (DHC #4-7) **

Predator Omnibus: Volume 2
- Big Game (#1-4) ***
- God's Truth (DHP #46)
- Race War (#1-4) *** - borderline 2-stars. Great start, bad ending
- The Hunted City (DHC #16-18) **
- Blood On Two-Witch Mesa (DHC #20-21) **
- Invaders From The Fourth Dimension (one-shot) ***
- 1718 (Decade of DH #1) **** - story of how the Elder Predator at the end of 'Predator 2' got that flintlock pistol he gives to Danny Glover

Predator Omnibus: Volume 3
- Bad Blood (#1-4) **** - would make a sweet Predator movie
- Kindred (#1-4) ****
- Hell and Hot Water (#1-3) **** - Predator underwater
- Strange Roux (one-shot) ***
- No Beast So Fierce (?) **
- Bump In the Night (?) **

Predator Omnibus: Volume 4
- Primal (#1-2) ***
- Nemesis (#1-2) *** - what if Spring Heeled Jack was actually a Predator
- Homeworld (#1-4) ***
- Xenogenesis (#1-4) **
- Hell Come a Walkin' (#1-2) **** - Predator during the US Civil War
- Captive (one-shot) ***
- Demon's Gold (DHP #137) **** - Predator during World War II, murderin' Nazis

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Oh poo poo, which one? Hollywood in Avondale?

No the fancy one in Matakana.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
This thread reminds me that I should really get my copy of the Alien Trilogy blu-ray back from my friend.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red Rox posted:

No the fancy one in Matakana.

My fancy local in Devonport is showing a lot of Disney/Pixar stuff and All About Eve.

The MOTAT Drive-In's got a pretty solid line-up over the coming weekends though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

My fancy local in Devonport is showing a lot of Disney/Pixar stuff and All About Eve.

The MOTAT Drive-In's got a pretty solid line-up over the coming weekends though.

Sweet! Apparently Disney are only taking 25% so Matakana is only charging $11 for tickets to these screenings. Getting a gang together to see Predator this Friday.