Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been messing around with 40k Inquisitor and it's not bad.

The game is an 'ARPG' that gets a lot of inspiration from Dawn of War 2. Weapons have combat skills attached to them, armor changes special abilities and there's even a cover system (that feels irrelevant). You're on a space carrier doing Inquisitorial missions across the Imperium. And the story is surprisingly engaging - reminds me a bit of Chaos Rising.

Definitely worth picking up if you wanted a pseudo-sequel to Dawn of War 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I picked up a whole mess of wishlisted stuff this sale, but I've ended up putting a surprising amount of my actual play time into Superflight so far. It's on sale for like 59¢ and it's really fun. You fly through procedural mountain ranges in a wingsuit to run up as high of a score as possible. A scoreless Zen mode is also available. It's super simple and can be played in 5 minute bursts easily. I just got it to bump a purchase over a $10 multiple, but I can see it becoming a favorite coffee break game.

One neat thing, each level is from a seed. So you can save any levels you like or put in your name or whatever funny text you want to see what kind of level it spits out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I picked up a whole mess of wishlisted stuff this sale, but I've ended up putting a surprising amount of my actual play time into Superflight so far. It's on sale for like 59¢ and it's really fun. You fly through procedural mountain ranges in a wingsuit to run up as high of a score as possible. A scoreless Zen mode is also available. It's super simple and can be played in 5 minute bursts easily. I just got it to bump a purchase over a $10 multiple, but I can see it becoming a favorite coffee break game.

One neat thing, each level is from a seed. So you can save any levels you like or put in your name or whatever funny text you want to see what kind of level it spits out.

I love that game! If you like it, also look at Fugl for similar but different zen flying stuff.

I came in here to post: Godless Tactics is the 5$ Fire Emblem/Mount and Blade fusion indie game I never knew I wanted. Gonna play more of it tomorrow but so far it's super slick despite looking extremely indie, and I love how much optional lore is in it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

baka kaba posted:

the Heckblade key wouldn't work :(

What's your steam name? I have an extra key if you want it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love that game! If you like it, also look at Fugl for similar but different zen flying stuff.

I have Fugl and it is also very cool! I almost didn't get Superflight because I thought, "I already have Fugl. Why do I need another cheapo flying game?" Turns out they fill very different niches though. Very happy with the purchase.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I tried playing Outer Wilds but felt strong motion sickness - I have an ultra wide 21:9 monitor so FOV might have something to do with it. Has anyone else experienced the same?

I didn't have a problem but yeah try changing your FOV or using it in a windowed-mode. Also check VSync/refresh rate and maybe cap it.

I think the only games that weirdly gave me motion sickness was some sourcey games like Talos Principle. I managed to get Talos Principle playable using third-person view and some vsycn/fov changes. There was anotehr one like that as well but I forgot which one I had problems with.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

only game that made me motion sick was witcher 3 of all things. something about swinging the camera around made me dizzy after an hour.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Resident Evil 7 made me the most motion sick because its always so dark and you're focusing in the dead center of the screen where your light is shining. This weird tunnel vision in addition to swinging the camera around results in me feeling woozy. Only game to do that too.

RE7 is a great game but I have two complaints.

1) Its too dark (I get its a horror game, but it becomes more frustrating and less scary the darker things are).You can increase the game brightness to fix most of it, but then it looks a little washed out in some areas and becomes less scary.
2) There's a few really annoying common enemies that jerk their heads right before you're about to land a headshot. Makes fighting them ranged tedious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tezzeract posted:

Been messing around with 40k Inquisitor and it's not bad.

The game is an 'ARPG' that gets a lot of inspiration from Dawn of War 2. Weapons have combat skills attached to them, armor changes special abilities and there's even a cover system (that feels irrelevant). You're on a space carrier doing Inquisitorial missions across the Imperium. And the story is surprisingly engaging - reminds me a bit of Chaos Rising.

Definitely worth picking up if you wanted a pseudo-sequel to Dawn of War 2.

Remember that time Relic made a new Dawn of War game and it didn't have a greatly expanded Last Stand mode?

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

Mordja posted:

Remember that time Relic made a new Dawn of War game and it didn't have a greatly expanded Last Stand mode?

I'm still mad about that. :reject:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What's the best Dawn of War? I think I played the first one in high school but that's it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

goferchan posted:

What's the best Dawn of War? I think I played the first one in high school but that's it

company of heroes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

Two and it's expansions, definitely. Just don't expect a standard RTS campaign, it's more of a party-based, lite ARPG. The last one, Retribution, does let you purchase regular units tho.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

goferchan posted:

Dark Crusade + whatever it takes to get all the factions

Lots of replay value in that one. I never cared for the campaigns in the other games. It's also a more-standard RTS compared to DoW 2.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
DoW 1: Dark Crusade has a pretty good TW-mode, where you fight the other six factions to take over the map. The skirmish missions are repetitive but fun enough; the Stronghold missions where you invade a faction's home base are phenomenal. Soulstorm is kind of janky, but it has a nine-faction version of the same thing which people say is Fine.
DoW 2 has a good, way-too-long XCOM-esque campaign where you control a small force of SMs (like 10 dudes at most). It's a lot of fun, well-written, and you can spec your dudes to be pretty broken. You can also play it as a co-op, with each of you microing two squads. The Chaos Rising expansion is a scripted version of the same thing with a set list of missions, where your characters from the main game carry over. There was another expansion where you can play the campaign as any of the factions (although the campaign itself is like 75% the same regardless of who you play as), it wasn't as good, but if love orks or the Guard it's a decent time.
I stopped paying attention to DoW 3 after they first showed the gameplay, and everything since then has convinced me this was the right move.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would emphasize that DoW 1 and DoW 2 are completely different genres of games

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody here own GTAIV Complete Edition and would they be interested in making $5?

If you don't know, I'm legally blind with one sorta functional eye. A lot of simpler things are pretty challenging for me - I'm sure most players can look at both the radar and the screen at the same time for example but I can't. I've managed this far though but what is really killing me is the drive-by mechanic in this game. Precisely aiming a small circle at a fast-moving target while avoiding obstacles is no bueno. I'm so stuck on this Search and Delete mission and I just don't think it's happening. Maybe with dumb luck and trying a few hundred more times I could win but I'd sooner just ask for help if it's possible.

Can I just transfer my saves to somebody and they could do it? As I said, don't mind compensating for time and effort.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KazigluBey posted:

Good point, which condenses what Belka is even more into WWI/WWII Germany, then.

Agreed. It's a real shame because StrangeReal feels like something they really don't give much of a poo poo about, more like window dressing really. Which I mean sure, it is, but it's a real shame because having a game like this not be set IRL in some Tom Clancy fever dream of a plot is tremendously appealing to me, but then the setting feels like it's cobbled together from quick reads of country Wikipedia page introductions at times lol. Still great, anyway, I'll take Sapin/Estovakia over Assault Horizon any day of the week.

AssHor is loads better just because you dogfight a nuclear missilebomb over DC and end up blowing up more of DC than the nuke manages to

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Xaris posted:

I didn't have a problem but yeah try changing your FOV or using it in a windowed-mode. Also check VSync/refresh rate and maybe cap it.

I think the only games that weirdly gave me motion sickness was some sourcey games like Talos Principle. I managed to get Talos Principle playable using third-person view and some vsycn/fov changes. There was anotehr one like that as well but I forgot which one I had problems with.

I appreciate that TTP has a whole menu for options to help alleviate motion sickness. Though ironically it's a game where I never suffered it once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I noticed Need for Speed is on a pretty deep sale today. I remember playing Hot Pursuit and loving it when I was a generic teenager age. Which of the modern Need for Speed games are good and worth playing, if any?

edit: I also really liked the 2012 Most Wanted which was a shameless Burnout Paradise clone so if any of the newer ones are like that I'm down for them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 6, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody here own GTAIV Complete Edition and would they be interested in making $5?

If you don't know, I'm legally blind with one sorta functional eye. A lot of simpler things are pretty challenging for me - I'm sure most players can look at both the radar and the screen at the same time for example but I can't. I've managed this far though but what is really killing me is the drive-by mechanic in this game. Precisely aiming a small circle at a fast-moving target while avoiding obstacles is no bueno. I'm so stuck on this Search and Delete mission and I just don't think it's happening. Maybe with dumb luck and trying a few hundred more times I could win but I'd sooner just ask for help if it's possible.

Can I just transfer my saves to somebody and they could do it? As I said, don't mind compensating for time and effort.

Add me on Steam. My userid is wattershed and the profile name is Dick Winters. If you grab the saves from Documents/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/Profiles/userid and send them to me I'll do it. No payment necessary. Installing the game now.

Edit: I sent you a friend request.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 6, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, Monster Train is so loving good. I just won a game using the Melting Remnant for the first time which might now be my favorite of all of them. Each deck is fun and unique but also meshes well with almost any other deck, but there's also a huge amount of variety even within those decks depending on what you upgrade and focus on. There's just so many possibilities for cool broken poo poo to stumble on that I am having a hard time putting this game down to get some sleep.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I noticed Need for Speed is on a pretty deep sale today. I remember playing Hot Pursuit and loving it when I was a generic teenager age. Which of the modern Need for Speed games are good and worth playing, if any?

edit: I also really liked the 2012 Most Wanted which was a shameless Burnout Paradise clone so if any of the newer ones are like that I'm down for them.

Heat, the newest one is probably the best of the modern ones. The series went on a downwards decline in quality because a completely different development team took over the series unfortunately. Heat was the first game from this team I'd call good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

RBA Starblade posted:

AssHor is loads better just because you dogfight a nuclear missilebomb over DC and end up blowing up more of DC than the nuke manages to
I didn’t dislike AH, but that’s actually one of the things I hated about it. It’s far too tonally disjointed. If they kept it totally straight faced Tom Clancy style Idve been super into it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Picked up another cool very small game called Dépanneur Nocturne. It's on sale now for $4.49USD. The whole game is a brief late night shopping trip to a convenience store to buy your girlfriend a gift. It isn't stated anywhere that you're male or female, so it's up to you to decide that. You get to putter around the store and browse. You can pet a cat. There are other interesting things to do and see too, but best not go into that here.

When I say it's short, I mean it's very short. You could probably do a run in a minute or two if you didn't really want to engage with the game. I haven't done everything in my one playthrough, but I'm sure you could exhaust the content in under an hour if you rushed...But don't do that. It's pretty polished and has a great sense of place. There's no action to speak of, so don't come anywhere near this if you want anything resembling a traditional game. It's more like a walking simulator and low-key adventure game mashup with FPS controls.

I got it on a lark, having read nothing about it. I'm glad I rolled the dice. If you're game for something quick, sweet and different, you might keep it in mind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Heat, the newest one is probably the best of the modern ones. The series went on a downwards decline in quality because a completely different development team took over the series unfortunately. Heat was the first game from this team I'd call good.

Roger dodger, I figured as much judging by the reviews I saw of the new series. I'll check it out, thanks. Heat's reviews generally complain of supercops that will stop at nothing to destroy your car because they hate you so I already know I'm gonna love it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is Satisfactory pretty decently along? I've resisted pulling the trigger on Shipbreaker because I want there to be more content first, so I don't burn myself out before release. Do you think I'd have this problem with Satisfactory?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
did they remove the ability to add steam gifts to your inventory...? my friend sent the game to the wrong friend and he can only decline or add to library. it's not a VAC title.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Relin posted:

did they remove the ability to add steam gifts to your inventory...? my friend sent the game to the wrong friend and he can only decline or add to library. it's not a VAC title.

Yeah, a while back, it was part of getting around third party gift "trader" scams.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah it was like 3 years ago declining should refund it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, a while back, it was part of getting around third party gift "trader" scams.
ugh just let dumdumbs be tricked

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Satisfactory pretty decently along? I've resisted pulling the trigger on Shipbreaker because I want there to be more content first, so I don't burn myself out before release. Do you think I'd have this problem with Satisfactory?

There's quite a bit of content in Satisfactory that should keep you busy for dozens of hours at this point. It's much closer to being a finished game right now than Shipbreaker is. That said there are still two or three tech levels that haven't been added yet so there will be a ceiling, but it won't come for a while and there's a lot to do on the way there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

company of heroes

But not 2. We don't talk about 2.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"Hello Strix
Your purchase has been refunded by Steam.We’ve issued the refund to your Steam wallet. The funds will be shown now as pending and will become available to spend within 7 days.

You’ve requested a significant number of refunds recently. If you’re unsure about a product, make sure to check out the customer reviews before purchasing. "

I have requested TWO whole refunds this entire sale you stupid automated system

Also if that's an entire seven days before I get my money back I'm gonna be mad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It doesn't usually take more than one or two work days. They just cover their bases by telling you the longest possible period that it's likely to ever take.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Hello Strix
Your purchase has been refunded by Steam.We’ve issued the refund to your Steam wallet. The funds will be shown now as pending and will become available to spend within 7 days.

You’ve requested a significant number of refunds recently. If you’re unsure about a product, make sure to check out the customer reviews before purchasing. "

I have requested TWO whole refunds this entire sale you stupid automated system

Also if that's an entire seven days before I get my money back I'm gonna be mad

It takes a day, almost exactly to the hour and the "You've done too many" thing is scare tactics bullshit that they don't actually enforce.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if the scare tactic is partially stat driven - if you refund games that overall have a low refund rate, they're more likely to put in a notice like that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't usually take more than one or two work days. They just cover their bases by telling you the longest possible period that it's likely to ever take.

Orv posted:

It takes a day, almost exactly to the hour and the "You've done too many" thing is scare tactics bullshit that they don't actually enforce.

I'll report back if it takes longer - but yeah, thanks. I know the "you've done too many" is scare tactics but they usually only hit me with that when I've done like 5+ in a month, not TWO. Well, two and one gift train purchase refunded because the person owned Tyranny elsewhere already. But still. Silly computer. :sigh:

On that note, part of why I like the steam gift train is because when someone gets me something it takes away the urge to refund it. The urge to refund is usually irrational, along the lines of "this game hasn't given me the stars and moon on a platter therefore I should get my money back" which makes no SENSE some games are slow starters and other games just need to be good, not perfect. I tend to only seriously refund if there's a technical problem, and so far I haven't had any from gift train gifts.

Also there was one that one edge case where I refunded the Zero Escape Trilogy because I opened it, played like five minutes, and realized that I wanted to close out that story on a 3DS, as god intended. Feels better to finish a trilogy on the same platform you started it on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ymgve posted:

I wonder if the scare tactic is partially stat driven - if you refund games that overall have a low refund rate, they're more likely to put in a notice like that

That could be it, both of my refunds were for extremely indie games with sub 20 reviews. That's part of why I'm not naming their titles because I don't want to scare people off of buying them when I don't know if the technical issue is for me only or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What's the must-have DLC for XCOM2? Just War of the Chosen?

The "Collection" bundle comes with these:

But it's still cheaper to just get base game + WotC