Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

didn't they say they were working on an MMR system like six months ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean, gently caress how long did it take to fix Freddy? They've apparently been turning it on and off every now and again and I think they said they're happy with the results. I wish they'd share some more specifics. Honestly after the original launch of dedicated servers, I expect it's gonna take a few more months after it's officially out for it to work even halfway right.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nalesh posted:

I still really want a doppelganger character, like no red light, looks like a random survivor until they get close, etc. Pmuch what I expected legion to be tbh.

They won't do it because they know just how badly SWF will destroy that idea, they've been asked for it over and over and I don't think ever given the outright answer, but they know it has no chance anymore.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Hell even without SWF, what would you do? Not have a red stain or a terror radius? You can just play Ghostface for that. It's basically the same challenge the Paranoia mode in F13 almost certainly ran into - imposter characters need more mechanics to work with to actually let you be an imposter in a way that's interesting.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 6, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I still need to figure out how to ghostface

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Step 1: Ghost
Step 2: Face

Also same :negative:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His big problem is that people can knock him out of stealth without actually looking at him, they just have to rotate the camera so you're on it. So the only real option is to hide behind objects. You hardly have time for that though, given how stupidly fast gens get finished.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's why I like playing as Myers. Ghostface gets noticed and loses his power, Myers gets noticed and just keeps staring.

I bet Ghostface waits until he gets out of the shower to take a poo poo

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Ghostboi able to be taken out of stalk by a hooked survivor bothers me more than it really should.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Marin Karin posted:

Ghostboi able to be taken out of stalk by a hooked survivor bothers me more than it really should.

He can be taken out of stealth by someone in the entity brand sky crane animation even.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the secret to Ghostface is you use his stealth to approach and get a free hit, or get a hit then stealth mid chase for the mind game. Barring ideal conditions stalking to mark survivors is a bit of a trap overall, though you can make use of it by incremental stalking one survivor before you get broken from stealth or stalking them nearly all the way and finding them later to finish off.

Grabbing survivors off gens never gets old however, and Ghostface is by far the killer I've done it regularly with the most ease. Especially at the start of a trial when the survivors have no idea who it is yet.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Effectively a 1:30 game because all four of them went for the same gen, couldn't find two of em when I came back, he seemed mad :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Honestly Legion's underrated. I was expecting something utterly useless when I grabbed them, but if they can get everyone lumped somewhat together they'll probably tag most of the other team with Frenzy and then still go down whoever is nearby. Meanwhile having a bleed timer and then an injury is enough to deter most people from gens, so they have a decent enough means of keeping people from doing stuff.

Of course that doesn't work on huge maps, but overly big maps are what gently caress any killer without a teleport gimmick

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 6, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The weird thing is that according to steam charts the game is gaining players. In June they gained ~6800 players, and while some of that will be returning players a lot are probably new players.

The game currently has more average and peak players than it ever has, so there are new players out there. The match maker is just dumb as hell sometimes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Honestly Legion's underrated. I was expecting something utterly useless when I grabbed them, but if they can get everyone lumped somewhat together they'll probably tag most of the other team with Frenzy and then still go down whoever is nearby. Meanwhile having a bleed timer and then an injury is enough to deter most people from gens, so they have a decent enough means of keeping people from doing stuff.

Of course that doesn't work on huge maps, but overly big maps are what gently caress any killer without a teleport gimmick

He's not underrated, but no he's not utterly useless. There hasn't been a nearly useless killer since they fixed Freddy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TGLT posted:

He's not underrated, but no he's not utterly useless. There hasn't been a nearly useless killer since they fixed Freddy.

Legion's entertaining to play because some people still react to them like they were on launch, especially if they get sacrificed (and if anybody tells you Legion is 'still broken' laugh heartily in their direction). They're also good at zipping around for the three-gen.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Carcer posted:

The weird thing is that according to steam charts the game is gaining players. In June they gained ~6800 players, and while some of that will be returning players a lot are probably new players.

The game currently has more average and peak players than it ever has, so there are new players out there. The match maker is just dumb as hell sometimes.

I wonder how much of this has to do with licensed characters getting added. I picked this up 2 weeks ago purely because I saw PH got added in and it seemed interesting.

Rank 13 killer now and usually seeing a mix of 2-3 rank 15 and up, paired with a rank 5-10. Ironically the high rank survivor is often the first to die

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Legion's entertaining to play because some people still react to them like they were on launch, especially if they get sacrificed (and if anybody tells you Legion is 'still broken' laugh heartily in their direction). They're also good at zipping around for the three-gen.

Oh god no, we're long past the days of moonwalking Legion. They just don't excel at anything to any degree. Like Billy is both better at protecting three distant generators and punishing survivors who make the mistake of clumping up. Mend just doesn't generate the same pressure as slugging - you can mend yourself whenever but you can only pick yourself up once if you brought the perk.

Primetime posted:

Rank 13 killer now and usually seeing a mix of 2-3 rank 15 and up, paired with a rank 5-10. Ironically the high rank survivor is often the first to die

Yeah, rank is basically a function of time played not skill especially for survivors. I'm back in red ranks again going up against red rank survivors and I still tend to get at least one survivor each match who just runs forward without looking back while dropping every pallet they pass.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Primetime posted:

I wonder how much of this has to do with licensed characters getting added. I picked this up 2 weeks ago purely because I saw PH got added in and it seemed interesting.

I'm not sure since I don't know when the licensed DLCs where launched, but here's the site I'm using: https://steamcharts.com/app/381210#7d

Whatever the devs have been doing over the past few months is working, that much is apparent.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of Freddy, I'm weighing grabbing him or Pig. Pig sounds really fun on paper, although there's probably some cheap loophole that ruins her I'm not aware of (like Ghostface getting popped out of stealth by being anywhere on the survivor's camera)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pig's traps are the ultimate in Neat But Almost Pointless. They're either basically a guaranteed kill or someone gets it off first box they go to and there's pretty much no in between with a vast, vast skew towards the latter. She's otherwise an uninspired but still pretty fun - the charge is hilarious sometimes - M1 killer.

Freddy's rework probably made him my third or fourth favorite killer. Lot of chase potential, lot of mind game options (which most survivors play themselves on 100% of the time) and just generally fun. Plus his nightmare realm thing means that the lovely oeuvre of the early outdoors night maps is more playable and doesn't give me a loving headache.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 6, 2020

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Freddy is reasonably strong and is different to play and therefore fun. Pig is cute and there is memeing with booping the snoot but she's really a garbage tier killer that relies on RNG. If you're only getting one of those two I would say Freddy for sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pig is better if you use her traps to keep people off generators rather than an actual kill method. Yeah definitely chase someone off a box if you see them but for the most part it's just free map pressure.

Which is great for the early game and by midgame you're out of traps and everything sucks. Or better yet you ration your traps enough that you have one or two left over when the gates are powered and they're completely usesless aside from giving away free hats. BHVR hates the Pig for some reason even though she's an interesting, and could be really good, killer :smith: I haven't played Freddy so I can't chime in about him

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Okay yeah, Freddy is hilarious. Everyone falls for dream pallets, even if I threw them up right in front of a person

Also NOED/Blood Warden/Remember Me is a pretty good "gently caress the teabag brigade" build. Sure, take the gens. Take all the gens. I'm surely not going to kill all of you in the last thirty seconds

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 6, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trip report: Obtained Myers, he's fun as hell! I really enjoy how the gameplay encourages you to focus on finding and killing the survivors in a way that my other main played killers did not. I almost got a 4-kill but the last guy got a clutch pallet at the last moment and was able to escape. :3:

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Okay yeah, Freddy is hilarious. Everyone falls for dream pallets, even if I threw them up right in front of a person

Also NOED/Blood Warden/Remember Me is a pretty good "gently caress the teabag brigade" build. Sure, take the gens. Take all the gens. I'm surely not going to kill all of you in the last thirty seconds

The best part is pallets is his bad option. Mess with the traps a bit and see how hard people play themselves for you. Even when they don't it's just massive chase control.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Myers is so drat good, especially now that his perks don't directly oppose each other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

To make sure I understand his powers right: At level 1, he doesn't have the terror radius at all, right? Does that only apply if I'm stalking or is it innate until I hit evil within 2?

Does this mean it would be a potentially valid strategy to just wander around at EW1 and be totally invisible and stab people normally?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nessus posted:

To make sure I understand his powers right: At level 1, he doesn't have the terror radius at all, right? Does that only apply if I'm stalking or is it innate until I hit evil within 2?

Does this mean it would be a potentially valid strategy to just wander around at EW1 and be totally invisible and stab people normally?

EW1 has no terror radius but he's slow as poo poo. You can use Play With Your Food to get a bit of a speed up.

One of his addons leaves you at EW1 permanently, but whenever you stalk, it lights up the aura of any survivors within 32 meters :v: It's definitely valid

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yes you are completely invisible other than, well, being seen physically, in EW1. The purple mirror that makes you get stuck in EW1 forever is amazing for that reason, because it lets you see people through walls, so you can just hide around a corner and stab em as they come around the corner and you can watch them obviously get startled and run in a circle for a second, it's great.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

Correct, no radius and no stain at level 1.

Even at level 2 you can get a 6m radius and normal speed with dead rabbit and M&A. Hell even just M&A is 8m.

Myers is the only time in video games I have ever seen player models in a video game 100% accurately display sheer loving terror on the part of the player in their movements.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I did notice that a couple of times people would just run around me but I had figured they were trying to stop me from sticking someone on the hook, or keep me from interfering with a dehooking. That doesn't usually work, but hey! It's a goal!

I had the brain genius idea of hooking someone, walking off about ten or fifteen yards, and hanging out to see if anyone takes the bait. Is that a solid piece of emergent gameplay or am I just eager to kill :v:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nessus posted:

It's not really a viable strategy but you can do it. If you really wanna, bring the scratched mirror and the boyfriend's memo and pray for an indoor map where it can really shine. Normally though you want stalk gain (ie J Myers memorial) paired with either duration (ie the hair bow), the dead rabbit, or another stalk gain addon. Tombstone piece is fine, but the iridescent Judith's Tombstone is basically a trap option. Vanity mirror is also trash.

Also yeah double checking hooks, especially when the team has been altruistic, isn't a bad call. Just don't spend too much time watching hooks.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 6, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

I did notice that a couple of times people would just run around me but I had figured they were trying to stop me from sticking someone on the hook, or keep me from interfering with a dehooking. That doesn't usually work, but hey! It's a goal!

I had the brain genius idea of hooking someone, walking off about ten or fifteen yards, and hanging out to see if anyone takes the bait. Is that a solid piece of emergent gameplay or am I just eager to kill :v:

At level one stalk if someone is dumb enough to hand you a hook before you even level up once then absolutely just stand around the corner for like five seconds and someone will hand you a free hit.

Don't really lean too hard into it though, if you're too far away that speed malus'll pretty much ruin your shot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So it seems you can land on the big door at Midwich by dropping down on it from the ledge above. A Steve was doing this to me and teabagging

https://twitter.com/i/status/1280282686104485894

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Man, my brother just got me into F13, and it was fun for the first two matches, but these drat server issues are killing my interest

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That is one thing I really appreciate with dbd, other than downed survivors seeming to teleport a bit between me hitting them and getting back control I haven't noticed any real lag or other server related weirdness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Carcer posted:

That is one thing I really appreciate with dbd, other than downed survivors seeming to teleport a bit between me hitting them and getting back control I haven't noticed any real lag or other server related weirdness.
I noticed some people jittering a little tonight but it wasn't meaningful, and it seemed to CUT both ways :chef: so it was fair.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I find it a bit hard to tell what's jittering due to lag and what's jittering due to evasive maneuvers. I also generally play at ~180 ping so that doesn't help matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I EW3 stabbed someone last night, only for them to disappear and only lose one health state. Still not sure if it was a perk or server jank :shepface: it's still better than p2p by a long shot.

Also I had a real fun round as Billy last night with both steering addons and noticed one of the survivors had a twitch handle. I checked out the vod of my round out of curiosity, and she spent the entire match talking about mac and cheese intermixed with "whaT THE gently caress" every time I nyoomed past zipping through obstacles and "what is he DOING?" as Kindred shows me hook a dude and immediately go to warp. I consider it a huge success. :v: