Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's more because the UK government is pathologically opposed to just giving people money, if it doesn't come with some sort of catch or ritual humiliation attached they can't do it. People must be made to do what they are told, not trusted to do for themselves.

Is everyone got cash then the middle class who are still doing ok during the pandemic will just squirrel it away, if the aim is to get money flowing and to physical stores who are struggling this is a pretty decent idea imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

so what are you all planning to spend your gubmint money on

Vinyl. Last time I was in HMV before lockdown there were 4 or 5 records I was eyeing up. And maybe go out to PC World and see what their SSD selection is like.

Alternatively, gift cards from WH Smith for Amazon and Steam...

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
universities taht arent oxbridge were already hosed and covid is just gonna make it a mercy kill.

whos gonna pay £9000 to watch some skype video of an adjunct professor talk to themselves in a lovely cardboard box in tooting

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Given the ludicrous cost of uni these days, I've been kinda baffled how young people have continued to go along with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Given the ludicrous cost of uni these days, I've been kinda baffled how young people have continued to go along with it.

AFAIK from people I've spoken to they still really heavily push the 'It's basically free, you won't even notice that you're still paying it off when you're 40' angle.

That and the fact that having the 'uni experience' is still seen as a mandatory part of becoming an adult in a lot of circles.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pistol_Pete posted:

Doesn't really matter how much it costs if you never earn enough money to actually pay it back

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It makes it easier to get better jobs, even ignoring everything else.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

bump_fn posted:

whos gonna pay £9000 to watch some skype video of an adjunct professor talk to themselves in a lovely cardboard box in tooting

if they can combine it with gaming, dubstep and epilepsy-inducing subscriber graphics via Twitch then :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

You can also buy MasterCard gift cards from some places that act the same as credit cards online, so unless they limit what you can buy then you can almost literally exchange them for money.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pistol_Pete posted:

force-fed from birth that its a necessity to get a good job (lmao as if those still exist)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

kecske posted:

if they can combine it with gaming, dubstep and epilepsy-inducing subscriber graphics via Twitch then :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol at the thought of an ancient Open University programme being streamed with the viewers spamming pogchamp in the comments for nine thousand pounds per annum.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

kecske posted:

That's how I've explained to my son about the changes made to lecturing - I've been livestreaming speedruns of my usual classes.

"Alright class this may seem like a strange sequence but if you type colourless green ideas sleep furiously you can instantly glitch right through behaviourist theories of language acquisition"

pitch a fitness fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 6, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can also buy MasterCard gift cards from some places that act the same as credit cards online, so unless they limit what you can buy then you can almost literally exchange them for money.

I haven't seen one of those ages. I quite liked having one with £50 on it just for emergencies (well, the Visa ones) but haven't been able to find one in a few years which is a moderate inconvenience. I assume they were quite good for money laundering?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paperhouse posted:

Doesn't really matter how much it costs if you never earn enough money to actually pay it back

Which is in and of itself a huge problem, since it basically means university funding is a pyramid scheme, and now that new student numbers and dropping the whole thing falls apart (or gets bailed out by the government at huge expense). Also for a lot of major unis the lucrative poo poo is international students since you can charge way more and, well *laughs in covid-19*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is what we're up against:

A comrade posted about Stanley Johnson being an over-privileged, entitled etc etc on FB.
A friend of hers has posted 'Oh I LUV Stanley, he's great'.
Comrade asks 'Why do you luv him?'
Reply: "He's so funny on tv."

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I just got accepted for a conversion Masters in software dev so I just hope my Uni can stay afloat for the 2 years it takes for me to qualify, fingers crossed!

But yea I also work for that uni and international students are charged 5 times as much. The place is gonna collapse

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is what we're up against:

A comrade posted about Stanley Johnson being an over-privileged, entitled etc etc on FB.
A friend of hers has posted 'Oh I LUV Stanley, he's great'.
Comrade asks 'Why do you luv him?'
Reply: "He's so funny on tv."

thank god the people own the beeb

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It’s literally thirty seconds of work to stop that happening

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

It's trivial to stop them being used for gift cards - in fact if they code them as 'gift cards' the hard works already done - you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card.

edit: ^^^ snap

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 6, 2020

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

If you're an 18 year old these days, which would you rather do? Try hard to get a minimum wage job where you'll be treated like poo poo and keep living with your parents in a palce with no young peppld, or move out go you uni and have a good time at uni around a bunch of others your age?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s literally thirty seconds of work to stop that happening

That's 30 seconds more work than this government is willing to do on anything, and 30 seconds more work than Boris has done in his life.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

AFAIK from people I've spoken to they still really heavily push the 'It's basically free, you won't even notice that you're still paying it off when you're 40' angle.

I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I think the best way to think of it is as a 'graduate tax'. You pay 9% on anything above 26.5k, so if you

a) earn below that you don't pay a penny (and it's wiped after 30 years)
b) earn just above that and you'll pay 9% on the amount above 26.5k until it's wiped
c) earn a lot above that (55k+) and you'll pay 9% (above 26.5k) until it's paid off.

They're not on credit files, they're taken at source; they're not really a 'loan' in the way we think of loans and debt at all. It's a tweak to the tax system in exchange for university and only IF you earn 26.5k or more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp, I've officially burned my Labour bridges.

Now I get to enjoy whole pounds more a month, which I will probably throw at some sort of good political causes.

Any suggestions for UK intersectional stuff? Particularly BAME/queer stuff?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

subscribe to fudge imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol starmer having to sack another of his front bench now

https://twitter.com/deletedbyMPs/status/1279459689911275520?s=20
https://twitter.com/SteveReedMP/status/1149578801870856197?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

kecske posted:

subscribe to fudge imo

I would but my body is not ready for more sugar, I'm actually losing weight at the moment!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/LeaveHQ/status/1279871372265734147?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JackleWiseVans/status/1280071537924636672

Honestly the long term implications of us never being able to talk about corruption and money behind the Tory party because the English Language is so steeped in antisemitic tropes is terrifying and almost too much to laugh at when it comes back to bite the very fuckers who enabled it so much.

Almost.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

MikeCrotch posted:

Which is in and of itself a huge problem, since it basically means university funding is a pyramid scheme, and now that new student numbers and dropping the whole thing falls apart (or gets bailed out by the government at huge expense).

The sweet spot for universities when it comes to UK students are middle earners who will keep paying their loans off the whole time but not manage to pay off the interest payments, and eventually the remaining loan gets cancelled. I was lucky in that my loan was a mere £14K ans low interest, but I'll be paying it off until I'm 65 instead of it expiring at 25 years (unless I'm lucky enough to expire first)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

subscribe to fudge imo

Enjoying a healthy monday morning breakfast, i see

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JackleWiseVans/status/1280071537924636672

Honestly the long term implications of us never being able to talk about corruption and money behind the Tory party because the English Language is so steeped in antisemitic tropes is terrifying and almost too much to laugh at when it comes back to bite the very fuckers who enabled it so much.

Almost.

Can't wait to see nothing come of this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/iancanwrite/status/1280072104810029057?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I swear that guy has done the same bit so many times.

stev posted:

Can't wait to see nothing come of this.

Nothing has to come of it. It's just the stick they're going to keep beating the Labour party with regardless of who's in charge.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 6, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i didn't realise richard desmond is actually jewish

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Marmaduke! posted:

The sweet spot for universities when it comes to UK students are middle earners who will keep paying their loans off the whole time but not manage to pay off the interest payments, and eventually the remaining loan gets cancelled. I was lucky in that my loan was a mere £14K ans low interest, but I'll be paying it off until I'm 65 instead of it expiring at 25 years (unless I'm lucky enough to expire first)

I'm starting to come up on the 25 year limit and the student loan companies have started sending me letters asking me if I'd like to make lump sum payments? Maybe? To reduce the interest? Please?

Lol no thanks lads I'll defer again if it's all the same to you

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

bump_fn posted:

universities taht arent oxbridge were already hosed and covid is just gonna make it a mercy kill.

feeling personally owned by this post on many levels

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If you're an 18 year old these days, which would you rather do? Try hard to get a minimum wage job where you'll be treated like poo poo and keep living with your parents in a palce with no young peppld, or move out go you uni and have a good time at uni around a bunch of others your age?
That's definitely the dichotomy they try to set up, but not necessarily a true one.

Jose posted:

i didn't realise richard desmond is actually jewish
All criticism of Asian Babes for being really racist is closet antisemitism by 2020 rules.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

vodkat posted:

feeling personally owned by this post on many levels

Because you paid £9000 to watch classes online, or because you live in a cardboard box in tooting?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

It's trivial to stop them being used for gift cards - in fact if they code them as 'gift cards' the hard works already done - you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card.

edit: ^^^ snap

Heart wrenching development. Guess I'll just have to buy that SSD & more vinyl than I have storage space for, god save Rishi Suhnak's free £500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this is making a bunch of labour councillors melt the gently caress down on twitter

https://twitter.com/FDseale/status/1280048978428669953?s=20