Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nothing has to come of it. It's just the stick they're going to keep beating the Labour party with regardless of who's in charge.

I find it almost inexplicable that labour's strategists haven't worked this out already and realised that they need to call out smears firmly and aggressively rather than looking like a rabbit in the headlights every time it happens, bad press be damned.

The media doesn't have to be 'on side' to benefit you if you know how to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There's also the problem of so many entry level jobs in the UK demanding that you have a degree and experience that would immediately disqualify half the senior staff from even applying today. To do the photocopying you need a BA honours in a relevant field while everyone ten to twenty years older than you got their job by turning up and showing some basic competency. Then everything changed to digital and you've got people who can't even work a spreadsheet demanding that you know how to work all the MS applications.

Today's youth are expected to be better qualified for shitter pay and none of the opportunities that it used to bring for jobs you could pick up in a month of actual training.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I'm starting to come up on the 25 year limit and the student loan companies have started sending me letters asking me if I'd like to make lump sum payments? Maybe? To reduce the interest? Please?

Lol no thanks lads I'll defer again if it's all the same to you

Student Loans company are wildly incompetent. When I finished paying mine off via PAYE they sent me a letter saying i had overpayed by £800 somehow so sent me a cheque. Then over a year later phoned me up again saying I had overpaid by even more and sent me another cheque for £400. I looked through all my statements and could not make head not tails of where the discrepancy came in at all.

It all made sense when I went for an interview for a job there and it turned out all the loans were managed on excel spreadsheets (At the time, the job was doing something with them). I decided that would not be a great place to work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i need to phone them today to sort out applying for a loan lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't think I've paid a penny of my loan back and don't think I ever will

I get kinda frustrated when I hear people say they're not going to uni because they don't want to be in loads of debt. Like sure you're in debt on paper but you're not really in debt debt but the language around SLC obfuscates that and makes it seem intimidating, which isn't helped by certain people patting teens on the back for their sensible financial acumen when they choose not to go. I wonder if this is all a deliberate strategy to discourage working class kids from getting higher education!

Full disclosure: I treated undergrad like a four year bender and had a blast and would recommend it just for the chance to have an extended period of zero responsibility and mostly full control of your own time.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

kecske posted:

subscribe to fudge imo

I hope mine arrives soon, i want to eat my weekly allotment of calories in a single day

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's also the problem of so many entry level jobs in the UK demanding that you have a degree and experience that would immediately disqualify half the senior staff from even applying today. To do the photocopying you need a BA honours in a relevant field while everyone ten to twenty years older than you got their job by turning up and showing some basic competency. Then everything changed to digital and you've got people who can't even work a spreadsheet demanding that you know how to work all the MS applications.

Today's youth are expected to be better qualified for shitter pay and none of the opportunities that it used to bring for jobs you could pick up in a month of actual training.

This is creeping upwards too. Neither my wife or I have degrees. My wife snuck into her current job based on "or X years experience", while my qualifications and CV make people in the theatre industry go "ooh" and every other industry go "I don't understand...", and most other jobs we could do demand a degree.

Even in technical theatre it's now the norm to go to drama school, which wasn't really a thing 15-20 years ago. At least you get trained to do a job though, and normally they charge normal uni fees, while the acting courses often charge a lot more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

i didn't realise richard desmond is actually jewish

And probably neither did Steve Reed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I find it almost inexplicable that labour's strategists haven't worked this out already and realised that they need to call out smears firmly and aggressively rather than looking like a rabbit in the headlights every time it happens, bad press be damned.

The media doesn't have to be 'on side' to benefit you if you know how to play it.

Thing is, any specific incident won't get traction in the media unless it's related to a person or policy that the Labour Melts want to get rid of.
So if a leftist MP says something, it'll be big news. If a centrist says the same thing, it'll be ignored except by the Twitter morons who didn't get the memo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was surprised to get a letter a few years back saying that my student loan had been sold to a different company. I believe a whole tranche of them were at some time under Cameron. Nothing changed in terms of the loan agreement for me, but presumably it means the Student Loan Company has already got a lump sum for it and whether I ever pay another penny or not it's just some private debt collectors who'll care.

That made me wonder what portion of the loans are still held by the government owned SLC and if the fact a bunch have been sold into private hands makes a future government forgiving all the debt more or less plausible/expensive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Thing is, any specific incident won't get traction in the media unless it's related to a person or policy that the Labour Melts want to get rid of.
So if a leftist MP says something, it'll be big news. If a centrist says the same thing, it'll be ignored except by the Twitter morons who didn't get the memo.

the problem starmer has here is that the press still hate labour and he's promised a zero tolerance apporach so they absolutely can use it to bash him

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And probably neither did Steve Reed.

probably but still a loving stupid thing to tweet out but then when you've been on the crusading side of things you probably assume you're safe because you're a loving moron like all of the labour right

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I was surprised to get a letter a few years back saying that my student loan had been sold to a different company. I believe a whole tranche of them were at some time under Cameron. Nothing changed in terms of the loan agreement for me, but presumably it means the Student Loan Company has already got a lump sum for it and whether I ever pay another penny or not it's just some private debt collectors who'll care.

That made me wonder what portion of the loans are still held by the government owned SLC and if the fact a bunch have been sold into private hands makes a future government forgiving all the debt more or less plausible/expensive.

Lol how stupid would you have to be to buy SLC debt expecting to even make half your money back

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:prepop:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ash Crimson posted:

I hope mine arrives soon, i want to eat my weekly allotment of calories in a single day

Did you order for the July cook (which is being started today) or the previous one? If it’s the latter, drop me a pm or email with your details and I’ll see what the situation is; one package took three weeks to travel a couple of miles, and one (that I know of) is still lost-in-transit.

If it’s the former, don’t worry, everything is on schedule :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder if this is all a deliberate strategy to discourage working class kids from getting higher education!
Regardless of the intent that's definitely what it does. Lots of people from working class backgrounds are raised on a "never go into debt, whether it's the newsagent saying you can pay at the end of the week or the shady guy down the pub saying you can have £100 and pay back next month, you'll always be worse off and they'll always be laughing" ethic, and loan debt hangs over your head in that situation and makes everything more offputting and miserable.

I'd rather have an actual graduate tax levied on everyone earning over x amount than make people sign up to be so many grand in debt and get regular updates about it, because treating debt like a purely academic (:dadjoke:) number on a sheet rather than a threat is a privilege.

I'd also rather there were more alternatives to university. "get a minimum wage job where you'll be treated like poo poo or move out and have adventures with the lads learning skills" is the marketing line of both the academy and the armed forces, and it'd be nice if there were alternatives to either. More funding (and respect) for vocational and technical schools would be nice, not everything needs to be a degree and the lack of respect shown to things that aren't by general employment is bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol how stupid would you have to be to buy SLC debt expecting to even make half your money back

They must buy it dirt cheap, surely?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

Sending some heavies round your house to give you some interview practice and professional training in the hope you'll starting earning above the threshold to pay back the loan.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Camrath posted:

Did you order for the July cook (which is being started today) or the previous one? If it’s the latter, drop me a pm or email with your details and I’ll see what the situation is; one package took three weeks to travel a couple of miles, and one (that I know of) is still lost-in-transit.

If it’s the former, don’t worry, everything is on schedule :)

Done!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

My dad was presented with a print signed by all the pilots involved in that mission, Like it was some kind of revered artefact.
It was for some work we did for the base in the 90's.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I know its not worth saying but it seems insanely racist to me to claim critique of a billionaire is anti-Semitic

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bobstar posted:

This is creeping upwards too. Neither my wife or I have degrees. My wife snuck into her current job based on "or X years experience", while my qualifications and CV make people in the theatre industry go "ooh" and every other industry go "I don't understand...", and most other jobs we could do demand a degree.

Even in technical theatre it's now the norm to go to drama school, which wasn't really a thing 15-20 years ago. At least you get trained to do a job though, and normally they charge normal uni fees, while the acting courses often charge a lot more.

It's all just a means of keeping the working class from entering the professional ranks. Uni has entered this weird realm in people's minds were it's simultaneously a middle class thing to do, utterly ubiquitous and a sign of stupidity and laziness to have not gone.

Jose posted:

the problem starmer has here is that the press still hate labour and he's promised a zero tolerance apporach so they absolutely can use it to bash him

probably but still a loving stupid thing to tweet out but then when you've been on the crusading side of things you probably assume you're safe because you're a loving moron like all of the labour right

This switch I made is being used on my own back, who could have seen this coming.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Just wait till rules about repayment thresholds are changed.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/753178874897399808

It's all just so loving cynical.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

stev posted:

They must buy it dirt cheap, surely?

They're such a liability I'd want to be paid for taking them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Communist Thoughts posted:

I know its not worth saying but it seems insanely racist to me to claim critique of a billionaire is anti-Semitic
dont be a richist

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I will get the bus to the local Currys/PC World to spend the £500 voucher that we are totally going to get.

Or I can save the bus fare and go to Q.D or The 99p Store.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

They sold off £3.7bn worth of debt, which the Department for Education valued at £2.6bn and which ultimately went for £1.7bn. The National Audit Office considered that the government had sold it too cheap, while the Tories considered it a smashing success and were planning on selling off more.
https://www.ft.com/content/df8b7c80-8a82-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pubs are open, have some beer mats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Maybe they were.

"The report also criticised the transparency of the deal, in particular, the refusal to disclose the identity of the investors on the basis that it may weaken the Government’s hand in future negotiations. "

quote:

he taxpayer was ripped off by the sale of the student loan book, a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report has found.

The Treasury’s rush to reduce debt is “short sighted” and risks public assets being sold off “at any price”, it added.

When the Government sold the student loan book in 2017, it had a face value of £3.5 billion but was sold for £1.7 billion, which is a return of only 48p in the £1.

According to the PAC, the deal was did not represent value for money for public sector finances in the long term. It pointed out that according to the Government's own analysis, if it had held on to the loans it would have recouped the £1.7 billion sale price in just eight years.

“We did not expect government to recover the face value of the loans as repayments rely on people’s earnings, which means there is no realistic prospect of them all being repaid in full,” the report said.

“But we do expect the Treasury and the Department for Education (DfE) to get the best possible deal on behalf of the taxpayer. In this case, government received too little in return for what it gave up."

The Committee said that Treasury risks accepting too low a price for public assets due to their willingness to accept offers from investors if they exceed government’s theoretical “opportunity cost” of holding on to them.

“The government’s objective to reduce ‘public sector net debt’, as with previous asset sales, runs the risk of being prepared to sell at any price," they said.

All undergraduates are given a taxpayer backed loan, administered by the Student Loans Company, to pay their tuition fees.

They pay it back as a percentage of their income after the graduate and if they have not paid it back after a period of time, the loan is written off altogether.

The sale last February was the first of a four-year programme of sales of loans issued before 2012, when university tuition fees were raised to £9,000.

According to the PAC, the deal did not represent value for money for public sector finances in the long term
According to the PAC, the deal did not represent value for money for public sector finances in the long term
The report also criticised the transparency of the deal, in particular, the refusal to disclose the identity of the investors on the basis that it may weaken the Government’s hand in future negotiations.

“It is too easy to fall back on that as an excuse not to reveal information where there appears to be no public interest reason to prevent disclosure,” the report said.

“Government should be transparent about who is investing in the loans and potentially profiting from public assets”.

The PAC said that the DfE should “at a minimum” disclose publicly the number and type of investors, and should seek permission from all investors to release their names.

In future sales, there must be a presumption to release investor names, unless there is an “evidenced and quantified risk” to value for money in doing so.

“Government will need to learn quickly from the weaknesses of this sale if it is to secure the best deal for taxpayers in future,” said Meg Hillier MP, chair of the PAC.

“When public assets are gone, they’re gone – in the case of this first student loans sale, for too little return.” She said it is “troubling” that the Government would have recouped the £1.7 billion sale price within eight years.

“Decisions on asset sales must fully consider value for money but I am not convinced that this transaction, with its narrow and short-term objective of reducing public sector net debt, is fully compatible with that principle,” Ms Hillier added.

A Government spokesperson said: “We are confident that we achieved value for money for taxpayers from the first sale of student loans", adding: "We received more for the loans than the value to Government of retaining them, further strengthening the public finances."

source: torygraph/education/2018/11/22/taxpayer-ripped-student-loan-book-sale-public-accounts-committee/

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

It's the basic problem that a lot of our anti-elite language was also used to attack Jewish people unfairly, and we still use that language now without knowing that.

The people highlighting this rarely intend to actually inform people though, it's usually just "why didn't you know about this obscure trope, you must be a anti-semitic bigot"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DackRouleau/status/1279841902200795137?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Does anyone know any good books about the Slum Clearances? Just had a horrible thought about what life would be like if we hadn't gotten to indoor plumbing by the time neoliberalism fully took hold and the indoor toilet being described as a communist plot.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Not So Fast posted:

It's the basic problem that a lot of our anti-elite language was also used to attack Jewish people unfairly, and we still use that language now without knowing that.

The people highlighting this rarely intend to actually inform people though, it's usually just "why didn't you know about this obscure trope, you must be a anti-semitic bigot"

Maybe I'm dumb but I also have absolutely no idea who is and isn't Jewish or how to tell and never knew I was meant to.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

International laughing stock is very apt.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Maybe I'm dumb but I also have absolutely no idea who is and isn't Jewish or how to tell and never knew I was meant to.

drat, you could be doing anti-Semitism all over the place and not even realising! So first off, you'll need some calipers...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cummings will very non racistly propose that everyone's family history be investigated for potential Jewishness and a list be compiled.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I see jk Rowling has had a severe normal one about trans people again

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Jose posted:

Millionare white cis woman has devised a form of feminism that entirely centers her as the most oppressed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

what did she do this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

It's Jeremy Corbyn's fault she's transphobic, he took all the good causes with the added insult that he actually planned to do something about it. It left rich liberals with nothing to campaign about so they all got weird about trans people instead.